As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAXtastic Voyage! Pre-PAX Boardgame Night (Sheraton Edition)

• CosmopolitanCosmopolitan Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Hearing all the good feedback from T2R makes me excited it looked like a ton of fun and it reminds me a bit like Catan so picking it up shouldn't be too difficult. Going through the different games that look interesting on Boardgamegeek.com is fun but also very expensive XD
    Another game I've only got to play once was Sentinels of the Multiverse? Took awhile to set up and explain but was pretty fun. We actually managed to beat the boss person too which the person that owned the game said can be difficult to do.

Cosmopolitan on
  • PottedMeatPottedMeat Registered User regular
    I like Sentinels, one of my favorite co-ops. My Sentinels weighs a TON due to expansions, but the iPad app makes keeping track of everything a breeze. I MIGHT be able to bring it if I can find room, and stay under luggage weight, it's always a good time.

I can't remember if the guy had all the expansions but I was amazed by the amount of cards there were and it was fun trying to pick out which heroes were based on which. If you can bring it that would be awesome but it isn't necessary you have to have room for all the goodies to bring back!

• SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    PottedMeat wrote: »
    I like Sentinels, one of my favorite co-ops. My Sentinels weighs a TON due to expansions, but the iPad app makes keeping track of everything a breeze. I MIGHT be able to bring it if I can find room, and stay under luggage weight, it's always a good time.

yeah sentinels would put most travelers over weight limits LOL :)

• Spartanguy12Spartanguy12 The Toppermost of the Poppermost Right here...Registered User regular
    Quick question: what's the best way to transport games in your baggage? I'm deathly afraid of putting any more dents and dings into my boxes!

edited August 2014
    Quick question: what's the best way to transport games in your baggage? I'm deathly afraid of putting any more dents and dings into my boxes!

Honestly the best way is to mail them in a box to the hotel you're going to be staying at, You can pack tight and bubble wrap and the front desk will hold the package for you,. Whatever you do, don't put it in your checked luggage, I don't know what they're doing to luggage behind the scenes but it isn't pretty. If you MUST check it. Make sure you bubble wrap, and pack as tight as you can, and even then it might not be unharmed. I checked games once, thought I did a good job of protecting them, it was not enough.....I never did find all of Jaipur's chits.....

All my games go in my carry on, or get mailed. Trust not the airlines!

PottedMeat on
  • Spartanguy12Spartanguy12 The Toppermost of the Poppermost Right here...Registered User regular

Honestly the best way is to mail them in a box to the hotel you're going to be staying at, You can pack tight and bubble wrap and the front desk will hold the package for you,. Whatever you do, don't put it in your checked luggage, I don't know what they're doing to luggage behind the scenes but it isn't pretty. If you MUST check it. Make sure you bubble wrap, and pack as tight as you can, and even then it might not be unharmed. I checked games once, thought I did a good job of protecting them, it was not enough.....I never did find all of Jaipur's chits.....

All my games go in my carry on, or get mailed. Trust not the airlines!

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to toy around with getting it all into my carry on since I'm waaaaay too cheap to go about shipping my stuff back and forth.

I'll have a complete list of the games I can bring once I get my plan of attack in order, but I shouldn't have any issues for bringing the smaller ones with me. You can mark me down for Cards Against Humanity, Munchkin, and Love Letter.

• Alpha I OmegaAlpha I Omega Button Pusher in local news Registered User regular

For my card games, Ill be buying the white 400 count boxes from my local shop, and putting them in a carry on, and for things with small and medium sized boards I will either be shipping them( just the boards to save on costs) or putting them in a rigid structure then puttung them in one of my bags that Ill be taking on the plane.

| Xbox Live GT: Alpha I Omega | PAX's Attended: Prime '11, Prime '12, Prime '13, East '13, Prime '14, Prime '15 |
    | Astro Gaming Chat Expert and Community Leader | Bacon Aficionado | Ewok Assassin |
    | Here's my BGG if you're a nerd: http://boardgamegeek.com/user/Alpha+I+Omega |
  • shadowscoutshadowscout Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Okies spreadsheet with links to boardgames geek descriptions is updated - I've changed the sheet and it now has tabs for 2012/2013 so you can easily see the games people brought the last 2 years as well

@LexiconGrrl‌ if you get a chance can you change the link in the OP please to change just the last digit of the link from 0 to 1 (ie it should look like gid=1 ) and that link it to the 2014 tab rather than the 2013 tab just to save any slight confusion

shadowscout on
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Okies spreadsheet with links to boardgames geek descriptions is updated - I've changed the sheet and it now has tabs for 2012/2013 so you can easily see the games people brought the last 2 years as well

@LexiconGrrl‌ if you get a chance can you change the link in the OP please to change just the last digit of the link from 0 to 1 (ie it should look like gid=1 ) and that link it to the 2014 tab rather than the 2013 tab just to save any slight confusion

Done, thanks!

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • rabbdrabbd Santa Clara, CARegistered User new member
    Heading up from San Jose area on an arrowplane. I am bringing Guillotine. I'll probably add more later. Omeganaut friend is coming too! Anyone got any advice for her?

LexiconGrrl - I moved from Seattle early in the year, but never visited the Old Ballard Liquor Co.! Over the last couple of years there seems to have been a new brewery, distillery or bar opening up every day in that area. Spent some good times at Peddler and Hilliard's among other places. Glad to see the Scandinavian spirits stay alive there.

@rabbd If your friend hasn't already, she should check in on the Omegathread in the forums and join the Facebook group. Advice abounds there.

Re: Ballard & Booze, the brewery count now stands at 10, distilleries 2.

• Alpha I OmegaAlpha I Omega Button Pusher in local news Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Kind of unrelated, but Reddit has a gift exchange/secret santa called Reddit Gifts, and right now theyre doing an exchange for board games! Ive done 5 exchanges, and love the program, Id definitely give it a look!

http://redditgifts.com/exchanges/#/status/board-games-2014/

Alpha I Omega on
    | Xbox Live GT: Alpha I Omega | PAX's Attended: Prime '11, Prime '12, Prime '13, East '13, Prime '14, Prime '15 |
    | Astro Gaming Chat Expert and Community Leader | Bacon Aficionado | Ewok Assassin |
    gift exchange for board games? sounds exciting

• minisplatminisplat Registered User regular
    I'll be late due to Dev stuff, but I wouldn't miss it for anything!
    Also, I'll have a handful of small games (trying to travel light...) - Bananagrams, Set, Monty Python Fluxx, and Aye Dark Overlord.

passes - flight - hotel - anticipation

Don't Panic.
  • BirrhanBirrhan Registered User regular
    minisplat wrote: »
    I'll be late due to Dev stuff, but I wouldn't miss it for anything!
    Also, I'll have a handful of small games (trying to travel light...) - Bananagrams, Set, Monty Python Fluxx, and Aye Dark Overlord.

Set... haven't played that in ages. That's a good line game too.

• tidbittidbit Empress Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'm flying in at midnight and won't be able to check in to my Sheraton room until Friday around noon (I hope). I'm new to PAX - does this pre-event event go pretty late? I'll need distractions. And new friends. (And probably a comforting hug.)

howtoleavehome.com
  • WedgerWedger Registered User regular
    We'll bring Power Grid call that confirmed.

We can bring, if there is interest, Killer Bunnies or 1830.

“I have great faith in fools - self-confidence my friends will call it.”
  • WedgerWedger Registered User regular
    We could also bring Trains. It's like Dominion only you get stuff.

“I have great faith in fools - self-confidence my friends will call it.”
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    i think we're getting in on our train that day/evening.

so I may/may not totally come to this!

I definitely want to check out Letters from/to Whitechapel. Had my eye on that for a while now.

Birrhan wrote: »

Set... haven't played that in ages. That's a good line game too.

Yup! I never go to an Expo without it :)

Don't Panic.
    Wedger wrote: »
    We can bring, if there is interest, Killer Bunnies or 1830.

I always forget about Killer Bunnies! I have a crazy number of the expansions too if enough people are interested.

Don't Panic.
    tidbit wrote: »
    I'm flying in at midnight and won't be able to check in to my Sheraton room until Friday around noon (I hope). I'm new to PAX - does this pre-event event go pretty late? I'll need distractions. And new friends. (And probably a comforting hug.)

As mentioned in the OP, the rooms will stay open until 2am, and any remaining games will have to move to the lobbies.

There are always a couple of die-hards who game all night.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    i think we're getting in on our train that day/evening.

so I may/may not totally come to this!

I definitely want to check out Letters from/to Whitechapel. Had my eye on that for a while now.

Can anyone bring Hot Tin Roof?

Played it this week a few times and have feel in love, its tons of fun. Basically a game where, simply put, youre a cat pimp...of sorts.

• doubleonaddoubleonad Registered User regular
    Would anyone like me to bring any Japanese games? Let me know if there's something you'd like to try. I might have it. Or, if there's someone you'd love to get a copy of for yourself, I may be able to pick one up for you.

I'll also entertain requests for any other games I own, as long as they are a reasonable size. (It's a long way to be carrying large games in my luggage.)
    http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/DoubleOnad?own=1&subtype=boardgame&ff=1

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    This seems like a ton of fun! My wife and I are totally down for some gamery. Hope to see you all there!

• vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    Does anyone have Pandante?

ufq9gj8383nh.png

Pandate looks great! Cutest game ever!

• RussBRussB Registered User regular
    SleepyDust wrote: »
    Another game request: Betrayal at House on the Hill.

You still looking for "Betrayal at House on the Hill" SleepyDust?

• BadNews65BadNews65 Data Solutions Analyst ArkansasRegistered User regular
    RussB wrote: »
    SleepyDust wrote: »
    Another game request: Betrayal at House on the Hill.

You still looking for "Betrayal at House on the Hill" SleepyDust?

I just watched the table top ( show on Youtube) for this. I looks like a lot of fun. It's like a horror version of Legend of Drizzt.

• SleepyDustSleepyDust Registered User regular
    Unfortunately I think my bus is going to be getting in a bit too late for me to start a game of Betrayal when I arrive in Seattle. I hope other people can discover how awesome it is though.

• RussBRussB Registered User regular
    LexiconGrrl, I will bring "Betrayal at House on the Hill"

• Colonel ClinkColonel Clink Registered User regular
    RussB wrote: »
    LexiconGrrl, I will bring "Betrayal at House on the Hill"
    That's awesome RussB, thanks! I just saw the TableTop episode for this game and really want to play it now. I'll definitely be joining you for a round of this one.

• itsshortstuffitsshortstuff CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2014

I have Sentinels (and all subsequent expansions), perhaps if my boyfriend is interested as well I can bring it along because we're drivin =P

Edit: we are definitely going to be there, but later in the night, and will bring

Sentinels of the multiverse + expansions
    Lords of waterdeep
    Ascension

itsshortstuff on
    If you do end up bringing it that would be sweet! I had a lot of fun and would definitely like to take a 2nd swing at it!

On the sentinels topic, just found out if you play the sentinels of the multiverse video game at pax prime, you can get a Super Scientific Tachyon promo card, Tachyon is one of my favorite characters to play.

wait there's a video game for it now? Will totally try to play it then! Also I ended up ordering the Kanai Factory edition of Love Letter on Amazon, I'll see if I can remember to bring it!

• itsshortstuffitsshortstuff CARegistered User regular
    yeah, it's in beta/prototype mode right now tho. it'll be released in a few months i think?

This discussion has been closed.