As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WOW] Do people really pay 300g for Arcanite Bars ?

• MillMill Registered User regular
    Blizz's problem with healing is that they insist on it being so damn one dimensional. "Fill up green bars, keep them full, which means don't run out of mana." Understandably, this leads them into a situation where if they do triage, healers end up not being happy because they feel their heals don't heal for jackshit. Or they forgo triage and opt for the model of dead, 1 hit from dead and full health, which creates issues that many players don't care for. Sure they could make part of the healers job doing some damage, but they really don't have to. I'm really sad they opted to scrap active mana regen because that would have been a great way to make healing more engaging. Instead of just filling up green bars, the player also has to work on weaving in mana regen to power their healing. This in turn means you can still have a model where healing is noticeable to the point that healers feel like it worth a damn. Has some triage elements because you're still gonna have to decide who gets healing now and who has to wait until after mana regeneration. Avoids the issue of hitting a point where it's dead, one hit from dead or full health because you don't have to assume that a well geared healer can sit there and spam their best heal indefinitely because they will run out of mana and they will have to take time to get it back.

Hell, don't even have to scrap spirit. Just rework it. Maybe instead of passive mana regen, it boost the amount of mana the regen abilities restore. So healers get some options with gearing around play styles. Haste is quick cast on both healing and regening, with more frequent cycles. Spirit is slower, but has to do less regen cycling since each regen ability gives them more mana back. I figure they probably want to keep spirit, since that can be used as a knob to keep healing from getting out of hand and also allows for the inclusion of healer only gear (which I'm fine with, makes things more fair between caster healer hybrids and melee healer hybrids, while also allowing a toon to really specialize in healing beyond talent, glyph and spec choices).

• BaalorBaalor Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    A pet building which I don't know what it does because I'm not good enough at pets to unlock it fully.

So far my level 2 pet building offers a daily quest which you complete right next to the building. It rewards 4 tokens used to level up any pet by 1 level.
    It has a vendor selling pet stones for a currency called pet charms. Its also possible to trade 3 flawless stones of a specific type for 1 stone that works on all types.

I'm really confused about how followers will work. There is a collection tab for them so I thought it would be a "gotta catch them all" thing but apparently you are capped at 20 (increased by barracks) and you can get random ones each week from the Inn. By random I mean generated from scratch with a random name, skin and abilities. I don't think you can actually get one of the collectable followers from the Inn. I got an orange quality follower from there called "Panderan Female".

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I think healing is fucked because of how PvP works. They can't have a triage model in PvP but they want a triage model in PvE so they try to split the difference but always end up on the side of damage being too high so heals need to be too high to counteract it which snowballs throughout the expansion.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    No, I'm not using it incorrectly. The Trinity and the actionbar gameplay is WoW. Just because the game is a decade old doesn't mean you turn it into something else. When the game is bleeding subs, that is incredibly risky because you may do nothing but alienate the people that are still sticking with it.

Blizzard isn't clinging to the trinity: they are making the same game they've been making for ten years. Think of how many games from ten years ago people still play, and then get all huffy about those game "clinging" to core mechanics. Yes, people will quit the game because they are bored of it, but it's ten years old and that probably will happen regardless.

YL9WnCY.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    You can have a triage model in PvP.

You just can't expect to have it in both PvE and PvP without having skills work wildly different in both.

YL9WnCY.png
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    I think healing is fucked because of how PvP works. They can't have a triage model in PvP but they want a triage model in PvE so they try to split the difference but always end up on the side of damage being too high so heals need to be too high to counteract it which snowballs throughout the expansion.

The triage healing model is because of pvp. Nobody wants triage pve healing. Nobody. The problem they're having is that a single healer can take that guy you just bursted down to 5% health and pull him back up to full in two casts or less. To stop that they're trying to turn all healing into triage healing.

Something people haven't seemed to notice, is that we already have triage healing in the current model, it's just that not all healing is triage healing. There are tons of bosses that do sustained damage over time, and trying to heal through it with your flash heals/healing surges isn't going to work. What makes healing in pve interesting is the mix between spike heals and triage heals. Getting rid of one entirely (or simply getting rid of our ability to deal with it) just dumbs down the system we already have.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I'm expecting 35-50k for the Chopper. Sometimes I hate that we all called it so accurately.

Say what you want about the AH, but people grossly underestimate the value of leveraging professions. You dont even have to be max skill level. I make an avg of 500-600g profit selling Mooncloth Robes, and can sell Arcanite Bars for close to 300g each (med pop)

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Baalor wrote: »
    A pet building which I don't know what it does because I'm not good enough at pets to unlock it fully.

So far my level 2 pet building offers a daily quest which you complete right next to the building. It rewards 4 tokens used to level up any pet by 1 level.
    It has a vendor selling pet stones for a currency called pet charms. Its also possible to trade 3 flawless stones of a specific type for 1 stone that works on all types.

I'm really confused about how followers will work. There is a collection tab for them so I thought it would be a "gotta catch them all" thing but apparently you are capped at 20 (increased by barracks) and you can get random ones each week from the Inn. By random I mean generated from scratch with a random name, skin and abilities. I don't think you can actually get one of the collectable followers from the Inn. I got an orange quality follower from there called "Panderan Female".

What did you use on the carrot and the rat? Carrot to me seemed almost doable while the rat seemed impossible.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I'm expecting 35-50k for the Chopper. Sometimes I hate that we all called it so accurately.

Say what you want about the AH, but people grossly underestimate the value of leveraging professions. You dont even have to be max skill level. I make an avg of 500-600g profit selling Mooncloth Robes, and can sell Arcanite Bars for close to 300g each (med pop)

Running the isle if thunder scenario once a week is 300-800 gold, depending on how lucky you get with chests and keys.

steam_sig.png
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    No, I'm not using it incorrectly. The Trinity and the actionbar gameplay is WoW. Just because the game is a decade old doesn't mean you turn it into something else. When the game is bleeding subs, that is incredibly risky because you may do nothing but alienate the people that are still sticking with it.

Blizzard isn't clinging to the trinity: they are making the same game they've been making for ten years. Think of how many games from ten years ago people still play, and then get all huffy about those game "clinging" to core mechanics. Yes, people will quit the game because they are bored of it, but it's ten years old and that probably will happen regardless.

Well let's be fair here. Blizzard has already shown that they're not afraid to shake things up within their own game, regardless of how much time has passed (see: talent system, ability pruning, etc). The Trinity system isn't inherently bad, but it does create it's share of problems, not the least of which is the fact that it reduces overall player engagement when things require tanks and/or healers. Tanks and healers are always in short supply in every MMO I've ever played because very few people want to deal with the headache that comes along with those roles, thus you have the glut of DPS in every guild with tanks and healers calling the shots because they matter more, simply put.

Now you're right, WoW isn't GW2 or The Secret World or whatever else, but the devs do seem to have no problem incorporating ideas from other games when it looks like it would benefit the overall game. While it might not benefit WoW to toss the whole Trinity system overboard, it certainly wouldn't hurt to explore dynamics other than 'Two tanks, three healers and five DPS" or what have you. One of the better things about the Timeless Isle were the open-tag mobs (for the reasons already highlighted in this thread) and while the mobs being burned down in seconds wasn't ideal, it did illustrate that that kind of gameplay is viable and could even work in other areas of the game if done well.

I don't think healers call the shots because they matter more, I think they call the shots because their role puts them in a better position to see what's going on.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Looks like Frost DK is getting a much-needed buff. Cautiously optimistic.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular

Really ? People still pay 300g for Arcanite Bars ?

• BaalorBaalor Registered User regular

What did you use on the carrot and the rat? Carrot to me seemed almost doable while the rat seemed impossible.
    For the carrot I simply used some aqua pets with pump+aqua jet. That is enough dmg output to brute force the absorb.
    The rat fight has some RNG from the darkness but opening with Black claw -> hunting party from a Zandalari Kneebiter can potentially solo kill it on its own.

edited August 2014

For the carrot I simply used some aqua pets with pump+aqua jet. That is enough dmg output to brute force the absorb.
    The rat fight has some RNG from the darkness but opening with Black claw -> hunting party from a Zandalari Kneebiter can potentially solo kill it on its own.

Ah, I don't have enough Pets with the jet. Will have to try the hunting party

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »

Occasionally. They sell rarely, but people who really need them because they just managed to get their second half of Windseeker bindings will pay quite a high price for them.

• orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    What makes healing in pve interesting is the mix between spike heals and triage heals.

I know the most enjoyable time as a healer for me was back in the original ZA (TBC era) when I was using 2-3 different levels of Holy Light and 3-4 different levels of FoL to manage general raid healing, tank healing during boss enrages, and mana management. The need to juggle all those decisions during a fight made it tons more interesting than any of the healing I did later on (to be fair, last time I did any serious healing was Heroic Firelands, so it has been quite a while).

When they made the changes that upset the downranking method of healing, it disappointed me :(.

I know most folks probably don't want to go back to that, but it was the high point for my desired playstyle.

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
    LD50 wrote: »
    What makes healing in pve interesting is the mix between spike heals and triage heals.

I know the most enjoyable time as a healer for me was back in the original ZA (TBC era) when I was using 2-3 different levels of Holy Light and 3-4 different levels of FoL to manage general raid healing, tank healing during boss enrages, and mana management. The need to juggle all those decisions during a fight made it tons more interesting than any of the healing I did later on (to be fair, last time I did any serious healing was Heroic Firelands, so it has been quite a while).

When they made the changes that upset the downranking method of healing, it disappointed me :(.

I know most folks probably don't want to go back to that, but it was the high point for my desired playstyle.

Healing now is actually fairly comparable to back then, on account of how many heals we have now (by comparison anyway). I'll use healing wave in place of the downranked lesser healing waves of the past, and then healing surge or greater healing wave depending on what kind of spike damage I'm countering, or possibly healing stream totem if it's two people who need the healing, etc. Not to mention figuring out when to use one of my many cooldowns.

Fairchild wrote: »

Occasionally. They sell rarely, but people who really need them because they just managed to get their second half of Windseeker bindings will pay quite a high price for them.

I've had limited success with Enchanted Elementium for the same reason. People get bored so they take their Warr/Pal/DK into MC to fish for legendaries.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I know I personally had given up on getting arcanite from the AH when I was finishing my Thunderfury because there just wasn't any there, luckily I had the transmute spell on my alchemist

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Yeah it's ridiculously easy to get arcanite by flying around southern wintergrasp, now. Definitely not worth paying for

edited August 2014
    Easy, yes, but people are lazy and want to exchange gold for the product of their laziness. This is the cornerstone of the WoW economy.

Ran over 100 scenarios so far and still no Vial of Reddish Ooze from the chests. My only joy to be found in the wretched things now is when I get MC'd and promptly turn around to massacre the poor saps in there with me since I'm 575 ilevel.

Madican on
    Madican wrote: »
    Easy, yes, but people are lazy and want to exchange gold for the product of their laziness. This is the cornerstone of the WoW economy.

Ran over 100 scenarios so far and still no Vial of Reddish Ooze from the chests. My only joy to be found in the wretched things now is when I get MC'd and promptly turn around to massacre the poor saps in there with me since I'm 575 ilevel.
    Which scenario has mc? I kind of want to do that now.

steam_sig.png
    One of the random bosses in Lion's Landing has an MC move.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

I'm just missing the one from DMF dailies now. Then it's time to clean house on my pally

Oh, something I found out if you're in the beta

The scaling mechanic they have? That just sets your ilevel?

It works with legendaries! You can tank in your Thunderfury or use your warglaives! I have no idea if the procs work, though.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

It works with legendaries! You can tank in your Thunderfury or use your warglaives! I have no idea if the procs work, though.

What scaling mechanic are you talking about?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

Javen wrote: »

What scaling mechanic are you talking about?

In the beta, for accurate testing purposes, there's a buff/debuff (depending on your level, I guess) to give you the appropriate character/item level to match the dungeon. Auchindoun, for example, scales you to level 95 and ilevel 550. It's mostly the same as challenge mode scaling, except it doesn't just scale down, it also scales up. And it scales whatever gear you happen to be wearing, not just WoD gear or anything like that. My DK tank the other day was rocking an ilevel 570 Shadowmourne. It was awesome.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Aaah, ok.

Thats pretty cool.

They should use that for challenge modes and/or proving grounds on live.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Aaah, ok.

Thats pretty cool.

They should use that for challenge modes and/or proving grounds on live.

And PvP.

*ducks*

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    Take my daggers out of storage? Yes please!

steam_sig.png
    edited August 2014

Using your advice I killed the rat with a single Zandalari, awesome!

Then for carrot I used mindflayer, strider pump jet, then the time whelp, won with 400hp on whelp.
    Same team beat the daily in one go, with a clutch 1 HP to full with mindflayer, and not even having to bring in the whelp at all.

I had tried the pump before but only had one and was thinking water pets of which I only have one strider, one whelk, and one TBC era lobster fishing pet at max level.

Thank you so much for the advice!

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I think that anywhere in the game they think they need iLvL scaling they should instead force you to wear a specific armor set instead. I'd rather do Proving Grounds and/or Challenge Modes in a set of armor they've confirmed that the modes are beatable in so it's purely my skill as the decider rather than me not having a special "scale down" set of gear that's takes into account things like breakpoints and that certain procs stop working in an iLvL downscaled environment. It's super bad for Balance druids because we traditionally have a shitty base damage level and rely on gear to be good so if you make our gear shit then we're shit.

Challenge modes are complete garbage as a healer in particular, because you always only have as little spirit on your gear as you can get away with. Not only do you end up with less than you need, but you end up needing more because your heals aren't as big.

• MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    Been watching a lot of WoD streams lately. The healer bullshit looks like the beginning of Cata all over again. Oh boy. Soooo many wipes.

I think CMs would be fun if they set your stats at a set level so it's 100% skill. Make armor sets irrelevant. So everyone knows exactly what people's health pools will be and can adjust mitigation around them. Or would that put too much value on certain classes?

In other words, instead of scaling down ilvl, remove the scaling period and everyone gets X stat levels.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Monsty wrote: »
    Been watching a lot of WoD streams lately. The healer bullshit looks like the beginning of Cata all over again. Oh boy. Soooo many wipes.

This and the event of that really shitty death knight tank back in wrath are why I gave up on healing for good

• Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    C-c-cataclysm is when I really got into healing and liked it enough to basically switch mains...

• HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    Haven't touched WoW since vanilla and now I'm back and so fucking lost I'm not even sure what's old and what's new.

Is there a PA guild on EU I can look into?

• AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Monsty wrote: »

This and the event of that really shitty death knight tank back in wrath are why I gave up on healing for good

What event?

This discussion has been closed.