As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WOW] Do people really pay 300g for Arcanite Bars ?

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    They finally put mounted combat in the game!

Sort of

If you build the stable or corral or whatever in Nagrand, instead of the other thing

And the world didn't burn down!

• Options
    AcharenusAcharenus Registered User regular
    That lancing stuff in wrath was technically mounted combat too.

The world didn't burn down then either. It was just incredibly boring.

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    It was ok, the first like 3 or 4 times. But goddamn did I get over that fast.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Yeah I got the cape on 5 characters, two of them twice (faction transfers!) and nope. Not interested in that ever again unless they completely revamp the vehicle system.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    That was definitely more vehicle combat.

I mean, you were ON a mount, but the whole loss of all normal tooltips and only being able to attack certain vehicle-approved mobs and only in certain vehicle-approved areas didn't really translate to mounted combat as the way most envision it

• Options
    PapaganderPapagander Registered User regular
    I tell you people, if they added aerial battles I'd resubb and probably never leave again. All you have to do is enable normal combat abilities from the saddle, maybe tweak movement abilities a bit to interact with you mount, and you'd be fine. If you really wanted to go nuts, make it so you could target mounts, mounts can have armor of their own, scale with the player level, ....

I mean, guys. the possibilities. gawd damn, i'd prolly never touch down on Azeroth again.

“There are no happy endings, because nothing ends.” ... also, "Ah, turn blue!"
    XBOne | LyrKing
  • Options
    Papagander wrote: »
    I tell you people, if they added aerial battles I'd resubb and probably never leave again. All you have to do is enable normal combat abilities from the saddle, maybe tweak movement abilities a bit to interact with you mount, and you'd be fine. If you really wanted to go nuts, make it so you could target mounts, mounts can have armor of their own, scale with the player level, ....

I mean, guys. the possibilities. gawd damn, i'd prolly never touch down on Azeroth again.

I kind of understand why they don't, especially as long as they allow flying in Azeroth. Imagine literally dive-bombing lowbies? Balanced PvP would be hell in everything but the highest level areas.

There's also Garrison perks to building that allow you to "stay mounted while interacting with objects in outdoor areas" Hopefully this means herbalism/mining/skinning while mounted?

• Options
    Considering that even Blizzard, at this point, seem to be believers that flying Ruined The Game™ I suspect you'll never see that.

• Options
    PapaganderPapagander Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Oh yeah, i totally get all that. It's just a shame one of the few things that brings me back to this game is so hated by the developers themselves. I might have to give Archeage a real chance when it comes out.

Edit: I mean, one of the only things I really still want to get in this game is Invincible, and that's going to be next to pointless everytime a new expansion comes out.

Papagander on
    “There are no happy endings, because nothing ends.” ... also, "Ah, turn blue!"
    XBOne | LyrKing
  • Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular

After Vashj'ir fiasco, where most people couldn't handle the concept of 3D space, I don't think Blizzard has any intention of implementing aerial combat. Hell, they still haven't clarified their plans on flying mounts in Warlords.

• Options
    They're adding flying in a patch post release.

Some could read regret of flying in that...not sure why you would unless you were on a pvp server. But I read un-finished landscape.

• Options
    They may be adding flying in a post release patch. They still have never said when, or even for sure if, they are going to.

• Options
    Acharenus wrote: »
    They're adding flying in a patch post release.

Some could read regret of flying in that...not sure why you would unless you were on a pvp server. But I read un-finished landscape.

I feel like they announced that there would not be flying way too early for it to be because they're trying to make some kind of deadline. The announcement was made, pretty soon after the annoucement of the expansion in general.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited August 2014
    http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/325359-flying-in-wod/

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/10571977123#6

They plan to release flying in a patch post release.

I'm not sure why some would think they'd effectively throw out flying mounts for an expansion after all this time.

Especially given there little mount store if nothing else.

Acharenus on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    They've said many times that flying is a pandora's box that they really can't close. They just delay it every new expansion for a duration.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I don't see the big deal personally...that it trivializes trivial content?

That's the point of flying, it was when they first brought it in it is now.

It'd take a lot more then it's removal to balance or incentivize world pvp to boot.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Their opinion is that it shrinks the world and makes the leveling experience a more mechanical "go to point A, kill or grab X, head to point B" experience.

I don't necessarily agree with it, but that's what they think. The only thing they've acknowledged is that they can never ax flying outright.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Angry wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Monsty wrote: »
    Been watching a lot of WoD streams lately. The healer bullshit looks like the beginning of Cata all over again. Oh boy. Soooo many wipes.

This and the event of that really shitty death knight tank back in wrath are why I gave up on healing for good

What event?

My brother and I que'd up and got UK in wrath since we flipped to see who would be dps and the other healer I won and got the healer role

So in the first pull he was a pain in the ass to heal. and this continues to the forge room. so my brother asks them to hold up and we are going to switch. the death knight still in a pain to heal {we wiped abunch up to the first boss}
    So in the pull just after the dragon pins we both went healing and still could not keep the death knight up together. After a really messy boss kill the death knight starting saying we sucked as healers and to leave
    the mage and rogue retort with BOTH OF THEM are healing you! WTF is wrong with you.
    I really at this point lost all hope and interest in my priest because of his taunts and how hard he was to heal.
    It was not like he was pulling whole rooms just pretty much a normal pulling you would expect.

• Options
    MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    I've been DK tanking a lot to level lately. I managed to forget to put on blood presence one time... and I still did pretty well. Heh.

I also just hit panda land, and I'm surprised how crazy easy the first two dungeons were to tank. I was expecting it to be messy. When I did them as DPS it seemed like people were collapsing left and right.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Hey guys, I'm thinking of coming back to WoW; I havent played since 2008 (played through BC, left right before Lich King dropped) and I dont really know anyone who still plays, is there a server where PA people congregate?

• Options
    emp123 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm thinking of coming back to WoW; I havent played since 2008 (played through BC, left right before Lich King dropped) and I dont really know anyone who still plays, is there a server where PA people congregate?

Nope!

SE++ might still have an active presence in Shamblers Milk, but I have no idea as I haven't followed SE++ in like a decade. :rotate:

Around here, though, no, there's nothing resembling organization.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular

After Vashj'ir fiasco, where most people couldn't handle the concept of 3D space, I don't think Blizzard has any intention of implementing aerial combat. Hell, they still haven't clarified their plans on flying mounts in Warlords.

To be honest, what little aerial and space combat I've done in game. I don't really care for that kind of combat because it's too easy for it to get really annoying. Space combat had the added annoyance that if you had a big expansive map with few or no landmarks, and fucking awful invisible walls that either stopped you or cause you to slide on them, where it was really fucking easy to just to get lost. Sure a wow aerial combat would probably avoid the worst of it, but there are a number of things that just make that kind of combat not fun. Plus, there are all the ways that assholes would take such a system and make parts of the game incredibly unfun for other players, with the intent of being malicious assholes.

Ground mount combat, I could easily get behind if it allowed the use of most of the players normal skills. I wouldn't be opposed to the idea that mounted combat had a few unique abilities, but going mounted came at the expense of a few normal abilities. For example, a mount comes with a charge attack, but characters can't use their own gap closers or openers, nor can they stealth. On the fence if mounted combat should have unique gear or not. On one hand that would be kind of neat; especially, if you could spec mounts. On the other hand, games like WoW tend to have issues where either they choose a setup where that stuff becomes an issue for PvP (my biggest contention with most RPG PvP, is that it often becomes about gear, not skill and that becomes an issue of a combination of being lucky and pouring lots of time into the game, which tends to be very anti-new and anti-returning player) or they lock it all behind stuff that most players can't access, even if it sees little use (aka I doubt mounted combat would be allowed for raids, but I could see them putting the best of it behind mythic raid bosses, so the people likely making the least use of the mechanic, would get the best stuff for it).

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Remember that there was the one boss in that one Pyriamid dungeon in Cata that had mounted combat, in that you were on a camel and the game treated you as if you were standing still even when you were moving. Not sure if that could be expanded to any degree though, unless you built a battleground around it or something.

Also, WoW's not a good game for having floating 3D battles due to a ton of reasons. The number one reason is that the main thing people use to discern depth in 3rd person games like WoW is shadows and when you're floating underwater or in the air you have no shadows to help you. Second is that WoW's camera setup is designed around the assumption of grounded 2D combat and when you expand it to 3D it's extremely unwieldy (especially if you're dealing with other players instead of NPCs) .

• Options
    BaalorBaalor Registered User regular
    My pet theory is that they want to delay flying because the Tanaan Jungle Zone wont be ready till 6.1. It would have been the first time with a land locked area being inaccessible to flyers.

I really wish they would change their minds. Most of the new zones are filled with ravines and mountains. On beta I got a max level daily quest to defend Shattrath and it took me over 10min of running around the area to figure out where I was supposed to enter the city.
    Gathering shouldn't be too bad with the garrison helping out but I cannot imagine how anyone will be able to do Archeology without losing their will to live.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    They've been pretty clear about why they don't want flying and I agree with them for the most part. I was playing the beta tonight and caught myself killing mobs that I didn't need to just because they were in my way. Once I realized that I switched to cat and stealthed past the rest. If I had flying I wouldn't have even gotten to that point, I would have flown over them to begin with.

In addition the world is definitely designed with the assumption you won't have flying. There's a rare in SMV that to access you have to do a jumping puzzle up the side of a cliff. If you had flying you could just swoop into the hole with no muss. Trying to pin flying's absense on an unfinished zone is weird, especially since some people would argue the zone was cut recently and the no flying rule was something they've laid down from the start.

• Options
    Questing content is only ever remotely interesting the first time per character if that.

There's nothing they can or will ever do that will change that. Flying was the answer to that problem.

And it still is...those links up there will tell you flying will remain un-changed from pandaria.

They had no "There will be no flying!" at the announcement of WoD or throughout it's development...I don't know where that came from. The only word we've had on it is it wont be in until a post release patch. So the assumptions it has to do with un-finished content are pretty natural.

• Options
    BaalorBaalor Registered User regular
    No flying while questing is understandable and has been the norm in all expansions except Cata. If it was up to me I would tie flying to the loremaster meta achievement.
    It's the no flying for X amounts of months at max level that I disagree with. To me that will result in nothing but inconvenience and I might even wait till 6.1 before I start doing outside stuff like archeology and farming rares.

To me the problem isn't that I'm forced to fight my way through stuff Id rather not fight. Even as a priest I can usually cheese my way around that with Tendrils and Spectral Guise. It's not the gameplay I prefer but it can be entertaining sometimes.
    The problem is all the time spent getting to where you want to go. I simply don't enjoy navigating the same terrain for the 17th time.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Was down to just needing the blind hero card to finish out the set for "Collect Your Deck" and didn't get it in the round of DMF dailies on my pally. Then I read that the loot bags aren't bound to the character who wins them, and did a round on an alt where it was in he first bag I opened.

Easily killed Razorgrin, Boom-Boom, Grumpus, and the boxing one, just have 8 more of those to go and then the 4 specialty ones.

Nobody on
  • Options
    KryhsKryhs Registered User regular
    Acharenus wrote: »
    Questing content is only ever remotely interesting the first time per character if that.

There's nothing they can or will ever do that will change that. Flying was the answer to that problem.

And it still is...those links up there will tell you flying will remain un-changed from pandaria.

They had no "There will be no flying!" at the announcement of WoD or throughout it's development...I don't know where that came from. The only word we've had on it is it wont be in until a post release patch. So the assumptions it has to do with un-finished content are pretty natural.

I think what most people are referring to is the blue post in response to the question, "Will flying be in the expansion at some point?" And I forget which one, but a blue said, verbatim, "We don't know." I'm sure it will be in at some point, but that's the type of shit I don't like to hear. Flying is the one unique thing about WoW that I love more than almost every other perk over other MMO's. Delaying it to 6.1 is them breaking down player resistance little by little. Next expansion it will be 7.2 or they'll just shrug.

• Options
    Wonder if it was one of the devs who spent the last few years making nothing worth showing.

I haven't read said post at any rate.

• Options
    KryhsKryhs Registered User regular
    I'm just sad because I love flying so, so much. Gating it at the level cap was a fine choice I always thought, and now we have to wait probably a few months :(. And for what? It's the same reason they "nerf fun" in every other regard. We consume content too fast to them. They always seem to be looking for ways to impede us.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    I was under the impression that when the blues posted that, that was them saying, that while the plan is to add flying in later. They aren't opposed to leaving it out, if it's well received by enough of the player base. At this point they're stuck adding it in because the players have gotten use to flying, the time to remove flying was at the end of TBC and making it a one time thing because they should have seen the issues that it brings.

I know if I ever designed an MMO, I'd keep flying out of it because from a design stand point it bring in too many issues. Then again I wouldn't have done some of the stupid shit that Blizz has done, like intentionally make the taxi flights scenic. If a scenic route was added in that would be something the player could choose (not sure if that should a quest completion thing or open upon entering the zone, so the player can get a lay of the land). I would probably also jack FFXIV take on travel. Where the really convenient stuff will cost (you want to go somewhere super quick with no hassle, go for it if you have the gold). Of course, I'd go with open tagging and people having their own instance resource nodes, so that would probably also chip away at people feeling like they need to fly.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I need flying to be a thing, because getting dismounted by a mob I tried to ride past is one of the few things in the world that can make me scream curses.

• Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    no-fly makes the stealth mechanic actually interesting

it also has made being an engineer monk much more fun, since it greatly increases the value of engineering gadgets, roll, flying serpent kick, etc.

honestly having played draenor I hope flying never comes back except as a final patch/next expansion retroactive benefit

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Fine. Take flight away. But let me pick one of my flying mounts to ride between FPs instead of the default ones.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    I don't see making getting around the world easier, especially after you've already done the grind to the level cap as such an evil.

Basically the only valid argument that seems to be raised is "It trivializes the trivial content"

...the point is that even without flying mounts that content wont suddenly be relevant to the player seems lost on everyone flying mounts were the solution to the problem that problem would still exist without them. Maybe people have forgotten vanilla where after hours forming a group you had to prey enough people could be arsed to go to the entrance. The capital citys were absolutely packed with people who'd rather do nothing then go anywhere.

Acharenus on
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Blizzard's holding an event on the 14th to reveal the cinematic and the release date. I hope it's not too ridiculous. We don't even have a 6.0 release date yet, so hope we can get some news on that too. The trend indicates that it will release 2 months after the event.

Lorahalo on
  • Options
    They're also handing out beta keys at the event, so it seems it won't be a surprise release soon.

• Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah, we're definitely not getting WoD anytime soon. Quite a bit left to test still and 6.0 hasn't even hit the PTR yet, and the X.0 patches tend to sit on the PTR for 6-8 weeks before go-live, with the full expansion release about a month after that, so we're probably looking at 6.0 in October and WoD in November unless they decide to wildly buck their past trends.

This discussion has been closed.