As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2] Season 2 Episode 3 - The Dragon's Reach Part 1 (Use Spoiler Tags!)

• DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    Every so often in each of the reward tracks you are given a leveling book. Give it to the character you want +1 level and double click it in that characters inventory.

Plus sPvP gives you free transmutes in the reward tracks as well.

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Well shit, I know what might motivate me to reinstall.

• FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited August 2014

It gets better than that.

Have a dungeon weapon/armor set you liked but never felt up to running the dungeon for tokens? Do the story mode once and you'll unlock a sPvP reward track specific to that dungeon for all your characters, which gives out the right tokens, several weapons and an armor piece of your choice every time you complete the track. They also have cycle a dungeon track you can do without unlocking every couple of weeks, so you can progress in their tracks if you don't want to do story.

With the right track(s), you can get a character to 80 and fully geared for whatever without every having to do any sort of PvE or Wuv after hitting level 2

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »

Have a dungeon weapon/armor set you liked but never felt up to running the dungeon for tokens? Do the story mode once and you'll unlock a sPvP reward track specific to that dungeon for all your characters, which gives out the right tokens, several weapons and an armor piece of your choice every time you complete the track. They also have cycle a dungeon track you can do without unlocking every couple of weeks, so you can progress in their tracks if you don't want to do story.

With the right track(s), you can get a character to 80 and fully geared for whatever without every having to do any sort of PvE or Wuv after hitting level 2

O.O

488W936.png
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Well well. . .

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    edited August 2014
    Corehealer wrote: »

O.O

I thought you'd be interested. :D

One caveat though; There is a hard cap to how many rewards you can unlock per day with hotjoin/custom arena matches alone. You can go pass that, but any additional track advancement has to be earned doing queue (the replacement of free tournament, there is now a solo option so you don't have to find yourself against a coordinated group) matches.

The cap is pretty generous though, about two tiers (aka 10 rewards) per day, which is usually well after I normally quit doing sPvP for the night, though you'll probably hit it more often than I do if your goal is to level someone in Spvp. That means four days to finish a track with just hotjoin, and two Tomes of Knowledge per day unless you hop over to solo queue afterwards.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    Soloq and team q give way better rewards to your tracks, you progress much faster in those modes.

• Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    You can't play 10v10 courtyard in solo queue...

• ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    If I remember right, finishing a full reward track (repeatable) will give you 1 armor boxes (one piece per box of your choice with each stat set to choose from and each piece), 3 weapon boxes for that dungeon's weapons, 8 tomes of knowledge (8 tiers, 1 per tier), 240 dungeon tokens for that dungeon and a bunch of other stuff like champ bags/boxes, transmutation charges and such. I think each winning pvp match gives you roughly 20% towards the tier (8 tiers).

So, 1 reward track is 8 tiers, you get a reward every 20% of each tier. something around 10 winning hotjoin matches will give you the max hotjoin progress allowed in a day. I think losing a match gives you around 10%. I think the biggest difference with solo/team queue besides unlimited progress per day in that mode, is losing gives you more progress than losing hotjoin. I think winning is around the same benefit as hotjoin?

• KylindraKylindra Registered User regular
    Draygo wrote: »
    Soloq and team q give way better rewards to your tracks, you progress much faster in those modes.

Seriously, it's like double or something.

Just solo queue or better yet, get in the team queue (you'll fill slots in other people's partial parties).

Disadvantage: you have to hit queue after every match. Advantages: Better rewards, more interesting matches, and if you want to bring a friend it's easy to do that. (You can also bring a friend to hotjoin but there's always the chance you'll end up on opposite teams or whatever.)

winning in soloq gives you more than 1/5th of the experience you need in your current tier. meaning that every match you win you will at least get 1 item from the teir, sometimes 2.

And the matches are far more interesting as the best players cant just stack on one team (though it does happen randomly, and there are stomps but w/e. )

I swear I've gotten enough rank points to get a reward in a single hotjoin before, but the wiki says you only get enough for about half...

Do the end-of-match bonus thingies (most revives, most caps, etc) count towards that as well? I know they used to give bonus glory when that was still a thing, but do they give bonus rank too?

steam_sig.png
  • mccartmccart Registered User regular
    Yeah the various bonuses count. If you have a phenomenal game you can even get the "max points" bonus. They accrue after the win bonus has kicked in (if you won), and the animation is wonky so sometimes it gets clipped by the next map loading.

• HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    OK so there is an r/trahearnejokes

Favourite so far: how does Trahearne change a lightbulb?
    "Commander, can I speak to you for a moment...?"

Huggles on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Two things I've noticed so far in sPvP as a Thief.

1. Mesmers are everywhere, are more annoying then I remember them, and are capable of physically laying down and falling asleep on a capture point while I am right there stabbing them in the face, and surviving, and winning the fight with either their illusions or delaying me long enough for more mesmers to show up, or in the case of the Asura map, sucking me down one of the death holes while they remain unscathed.

2. The Asura themed battleground is bullshit. Those shielded holes in the ground killed me more then their team did and I had no idea how or why or saw any way to avoid instant death.

I am working on changing up my build and figuring out what I should be doing to harass rather then fully dive the other team. But I'm going to take it slow I think.

488W936.png
  • mccartmccart Registered User regular
    Learning thief is pretty hard I think. The good news is skilled thieves can wreck pretty much any profession 1v1, but it may take a while to build the skills to get there. Keep in mind many of the folks in the spvp system have 4-5k games under their belts so at times you're gonna get stomped by people that have seen it all. Look up and try all the builds for thief, I had zero luck with the current popular build but have done better with builds described as being suited for WvW roaming or whatnot. I can link you stuff if you like.

Skyhammer is a shitty competitive map, it's why most people that play ranked queue up for team-arenas since skyhammer is not included in the pool there. It can be a joy if you play engineer or warrior though, since you have a bunch of tools to knock people around, some of them are nearly instant cast. (the flamethrower knockback is getting nerfed since it's basically instant at the moment and almost impossible to dodge) If I play hotjoin on anything other than my necro or engi and I hit skyhammer, I just hit the "play now" button to get into a different game. You can kill people as a thief on skyhammer if you run over the energy fields to make them fail and then scorpion-wire an opponent into the hole.

Mesmers can be hard to learn how to fight, a really good one is a nightmare. You can sometimes pick out the actual player if they strafe or move away from you, which is something that clones will not do. I struggled quite a bit against them and have been playing mine at least a few games a day to learn how they work better.

• TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    Huggles wrote: »
    OK so there is an r/trahearnejokes

Favourite so far: how does Trahearne change a lightbulb?
    "Commander, can I speak to you for a moment...?"

What's Queen Jennah's favorite movie?
    Logan's Run

Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    lololol it doesn't take people long to learn to hate skyhammer.

Apparently it's not in the team queue? I may start playing team queue more if so. I usually just hotjoin because I'm hella impatient and that "play now" button is tempting

• SuperRuperSuperRuper Registered User regular
    How am I just finding out about sPvP?

steam_sig.png
    PSN: ChemENGR
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    the hell is sPvP

or more specifically what's the 's' stand for?

solo?

• Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Structured.

It is a level playing field.

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Sorry for double posting.

At some point in the guild chat either last night or the night before the subject of Role Playing came up and I mentioned I've been part of a group of (mostly) serious RPers in basically one the first Indie MMOs to ever exist, Graal Online, specifically the server Valikorlia. It's literally Zelda Online, that was the name waaaay back in the 90's before lawsuit-mania and P2P. However that era is over and anyone can hop onto the Player Worlds (the servers owned by actual subscribers who build their own content) for free.

http://www.valikorlia.com/forum/

http://www.valikorlia.com/forum/showthread.php?10898-A-Fond-Farewell-(59PF)

(a sample of a forum story. One of the most famous characters.)

Those are our forums, where you can pop in the see the general attitude of people and certain events we're currently running. You can read the forum stories, look at some of the work being done and get a general attitude of what sort of shenanigans we get caught up in. Keep in mind there are posts there from way back in the day and thus do not show us in our best light (because we where whiny little teenagers) but we're keeping them both because of the Timeline project and because they're funny.

I don't mean to be promoting another MMO in the GW2 thread, I'd just like to make this information as open as possible because -if- Role Playing is something you're interested in, Valikorlia is one of the best bastions of RPing on the internet.

Trace on
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    HEY GUYS

First

Sage pointed out to me that one of the easiest ways to level alts is in Edge of the Mists. SO! Does anyone have any good builds for a level 67 Elementalist and a level... I think 37 Mesmer for EotM?

Second

Have you been playing the Black Lion box lottery? Do you have too many Common or Uncommon dyes, but have better things to do than waste time dumping them on the TP or Mystic Forging them?

I will take all of them off your hands. All of them. Give me your common dyes. I don't even care if I don't have them. Give them to meeeeeee.

you can mail them to Lucid Seraph or Sonya Carmine, whichever is easier to spell. Or put them in the Guild Bank and I will swing by and pick them up (unless someone else wants them in which case CONGRATS) (IF THIS ACTION IS OKAY WITH VIV ANYWAY)

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
    edited August 2014
    HEY GUYS

First

Sage pointed out to me that one of the easiest ways to level alts is in Edge of the Mists. SO! Does anyone have any good builds for a level 67 Elementalist and a level... I think 37 Mesmer for EotM?

Second

Have you been playing the Black Lion box lottery? Do you have too many Common or Uncommon dyes, but have better things to do than waste time dumping them on the TP or Mystic Forging them?

I will take all of them off your hands. All of them. Give me your common dyes. I don't even care if I don't have them. Give them to meeeeeee.

you can mail them to Lucid Seraph or Sonya Carmine, whichever is easier to spell. Or put them in the Guild Bank and I will swing by and pick them up (unless someone else wants them in which case CONGRATS) (IF THIS ACTION IS OKAY WITH VIV ANYWAY)

For EotM?

Staff for Ele

Staff or GS for Mes.

Tag everything you can, and hope you don't get that one commander who actually wants to defend/attack the other zergs.

...and that's it! Have fun hitting 80!

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • TheInspectorTheInspector Registered User regular
    I'm thinking of giving this game another whirl.

How are engineers at the moment? Last time I played it was grenades or don't bother...

xbox360/WiiU: AnEvilHypnotist
    edited August 2014

How are engineers at the moment? Last time I played it was grenades or don't bother...

For the bleeding edge "PING ALL ZERK OR GO HOME!!" speedrun min/maxers, this still holds true (though you now have the choice of just grenades or grenades AND bomb kit, for maximum vulnerability stacking)

HOWEVER, next balance update is going to bring changes that brings Flamethrower kit up to the level of grenades and bomb kit in damage (namely a damage boost to it's autoattack, and making 2 a blast finisher), especially in pug groups that don't stack might, and I think only the most hardcore groups are going to complain if you bring a Static Discharge build.

In sPvP, if you care, turrets have finally have their renaissance, thanks to some new traits added in April. If you didn't like the 3-kit bunker build of old, there is a turret bunker that is pretty effective against anyone not bringing the AoE. There is also a decap build, but that is getting nerfed in the balance update mentioned above. Turrets still suck pretty much everywhere else though.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • TheInspectorTheInspector Registered User regular

For the bleeding edge "PING ALL ZERK OR GO HOME!!" speedrun min/maxers, this still holds true (though you now have the choice of just grenades or grenades AND bomb kit, for maximum vulnerability stacking)

HOWEVER, next balance update is going to bring changes that brings Flamethrower kit up to the level of grenades and bomb kit in damage (namely a damage boost to it's autoattack, and making 2 a blast finisher), especially in pug groups that don't stack might, and I think only the most hardcore groups are going to complain if you bring a Static Discharge build.

In sPvP, if you care, turrets have finally have their renaissance, thanks to some new traits added in April. If you didn't like the 3-kit bunker build of old, there is a turret bunker that is pretty effective against anyone not bringing the AoE. There is also a decap build, but that is getting nerfed in the balance update mentioned above. Turrets still suck pretty much everywhere else though.
    Cool thanks, flamethrower was my favourite kit so it'd be nice to see a boost to it. I guess I'll wait til the next balance patch hits and give it another go!

xbox360/WiiU: AnEvilHypnotist
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    ... y'know, tbh the literal only reason I run Pistol/Shield is for the blast finisher. Maybe once the patch comes out I'll finally go Rifle.

*e* Also I am strongly considering trying sPVP as a Bunker, just because the idea of being an annoying jerk who just sorta sits there amuses me.

*e2* Anyone know any good Turret bunker builds? Looking at Wolfineer's bomb bunker right now, but I like the idea of at least TRYING to be the Engineer from TF2 here.

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • TheflyingassTheflyingass Registered User regular
    Jumped back onto this last night. Leveling my Thief (52), but I have no idea what a good leveling build for D/P is (blind all day ery day) nowadays. Most everything I find is outdated. I went with 2/2/0/0/0, Mug and Furious Retaliation just to get things rolling. I don't remember what my build was before.

• doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    ... y'know, tbh the literal only reason I run Pistol/Shield is for the blast finisher. Maybe once the patch comes out I'll finally go Rifle.

*e* Also I am strongly considering trying sPVP as a Bunker, just because the idea of being an annoying jerk who just sorta sits there amuses me.

*e2* Anyone know any good Turret bunker builds? Looking at Wolfineer's bomb bunker right now, but I like the idea of at least TRYING to be the Engineer from TF2 here.

I think there's a turret engineer tucked away in here http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2bw0uz/all_the_builds_from_eu_tol_qualifier_2/

Can't check, phone has no flash

what a happy day it is
  • ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    HEY GUYS

First

Second

For ensuring tags, best to join a group to help with that.

For Ele, use staff. I usually stick to fire attunement most of the time unless we're fighting another zerg and I need to use other skills, but I usually use the 20% cooldown reduction for fire skills, ice bow, the tornado elite and 2 other skills. The teleport skill is nice and depending on how reliably I get swiftness, I may use the movespeed signet, or I might use another cantrip like armor of earth. Ice bow hits many targets fast for good tagging and is good for almost any situation. For the heal, I will usually get arcane brilliance or the signet heal.

I think the advice above with staff and greatsword is best for mesmer when doing EotM. Feedback is helpful for getting tags due to ranged projectiles in enemy zergs, otherwise I'd usually use blink, feedback and maybe null field. For karma trains, time warp is probably the way to go.

Cool thanks, flamethrower was my favourite kit so it'd be nice to see a boost to it. I guess I'll wait til the next balance patch hits and give it another go!

You might still reinstall to log in on a character every major update until then. The way the new Living Story season works, logging in during the current episode unlocks the LS missions (which are like PS missions) for that update, but not logging in at the time means that if you want to play them, you have to shell out 200 gems (or about 25g at the current gold -> gem exchange rate) to unlock LS missions you missed, though they've sweared that any and all open world content they add (outside of the seasonal stuff) will be permanent.

steam_sig.png
  • ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Question: How many levels can one gain from leveling a craft to 400? And is that dependent on what level you are when you start? (That is, would you gain more levels for doing this at level 20, than you would at level 60?)

• EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    Always about 7 levels

• Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    Hey. I recently got this game and it's my first MMO so it'd be awesome to play with you guys. My account name is unclebalsamic.9847

2LmjIWB.png
    Hey. I recently got this game and it's my first MMO so it'd be awesome to play with you guys. My account name is unclebalsamic.9847

Invite sent! Welcome aboard.

Check out the OP for Teamspeak info, guild mission times, and generally helpful links and info about the game. :)

Standard new person advice: make sure you go into options and turn on auto-loot and AoE looting. Also, in your inventory there is a button in the top right corner, click on Show Rarity and keep that toggled on. Also that is where to find Deposit All Collectibles, which sends all your crafting materials to your bank, use this button often to save space. :)

edited August 2014
    Kylindra wrote: »

Invite sent! Welcome aboard.

Check out the OP for Teamspeak info, guild mission times, and generally helpful links and info about the game. :)

Standard new person advice: make sure you go into options and turn on auto-loot and AoE looting. Also, in your inventory there is a button in the top right corner, click on Show Rarity and keep that toggled on. Also that is where to find Deposit All Collectibles, which sends all your crafting materials to your bank, use this button often to save space. :)

Also: Hit G to bring up your guild interface. That will let you accept the invite, and then also hit Represent to see guild chat. You can be in up to 5 guilds at once but only Represent 1 at a time. :)

I meant to add that as an edit, but somehow I clicked on reply instead. Ah well.

Kylindra on
  • TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Always about 7 levels

I believe it's closer to 8 but it's quite a bit for the amount of time it takes to get to 400, provided you use a leveling guide. Chef and Jewelcrafting are the cheapest out of the lot, assuming you have enough hearts done in the right places for cooking.

TolerantZero on
    Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Another question: Do Sylvari not have any plant-themed armor sets until their cultural armor/Twilight Arbor sets?

I've almost got enough tokens to buy a full set of TA armor. I am so tempted to just buy them with my human mesmer, just to unlock the skins so I can use them with my sylvari. But then they'd be bound to my human. ARGH.

• Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular

Another question: Do Sylvari not have any plant-themed armor sets until their cultural armor/Twilight Arbor sets?

I've almost got enough tokens to buy a full set of TA armor. I am so tempted to just buy them with my human mesmer, just to unlock the skins so I can use them with my sylvari. But then they'd be bound to my human. ARGH.

There are cultural and TA, annnnnnnnd that is it.
    Tokens are Account bound so you can earn enough on you Human and just spend them with your Sylvari.