As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WOW] Do people really pay 300g for Arcanite Bars ?

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    They still haven't announced a damn physical Collectors Edition. Bleh.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    BaalorBaalor Registered User regular
    The trend for content releases so far has been 2-3 months after start of raid testing. So there are quite a few signs pointing to october.
    Kamar wrote: »
    I need flying to be a thing, because getting dismounted by a mob I tried to ride past is one of the few things in the world that can make me scream curses.
    Oh god I can't count the amount of times I missed a rare kill on timeless isle because of a daze dismount.
    At one point the garrison building called stables had a lvl 3 perk that reduced the chance to get it but it looks like they changed it to simple mount speed increase.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Update: sold a total of 18 Arcanite Bars over the weekend via remote AH. Avg 228.5g after AH cut (selling price)

• Options
    edited August 2014
    At one point last year I needed titansteel bars for some reason I don't remember, but they were going for 500+ gold in the AH.

Getting the mats for them at this point in Northrend only takes a few minutes.

These prices would have made sense when Titansteel still had its daily cooldowns but now you can just make em.

I haven't checked on the prices lately though.

EDIT: also arcanite bars will always have a good sell price because you need so many for the MC legendaries, and those two specifically are the 'easiest' to get so more people are always looking for the mats.

EDIT EDIT: Khorium bars also tend to still sell for a lot.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    DrHookensteinDrHookenstein Registered User regular
    Acharenus wrote: »
    I don't see making getting around the world easier, especially after you've already done the grind to the level cap as such an evil.

Basically the only valid argument that seems to be raised is "It trivializes the trivial content"

...the point is that even without flying mounts that content wont suddenly be relevant to the player seems lost on everyone flying mounts were the solution to the problem that problem would still exist without them. Maybe people have forgotten vanilla where after hours forming a group you had to prey enough people could be arsed to go to the entrance. The capital citys were absolutely packed with people who'd rather do nothing then go anywhere.

I think this oversimplifies the discussion.

The advantages of flying are:

Max level questing/gathering is made substantially more rapid
    Allows more rapid negotiation of local obstacles (which frees up for more terrain design/aesthetic options)
    Largely reduces undesired PvP

The disadvantages of flying are:

It obviates environment variables, which inhibits immersion and diminishes aesthetic impact
    It inhibits design options based on geometry negotiation
    Largely reduces opportunities for world PvP

Nearly everyone is benefited by the more rapid questing/gathering, without question. However, the second advantage seems trivial and outweighed by the corresponding disadvantage, while the third advantage is irrelevant on non-PvP servers.

I suspect, however, that there are other advantages I'm missing, here, so feel free to chime in!

"He piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the general rage and hate felt by his whole race from Adam down; and then, as if his chest had been a mortar, he burst his hot heart's shell upon it." -Moby Dick
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    The pro/anti-flying arguments always really just boil down to "I want it" or "I don't want it".

Unfortunately neither matter because Blizzard will do whatever they like, but they've already said that genie's not going back in the bottle, so flying's here to stay. All they can (and will) do is dick around with when they open it up in current content, which is pretty :rotate: but whatever.

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    Well, I want it.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Eh, I don't really agree. I mean, yes, I want it; not only because I've had it but because I've spent real money on flying mounts.

But outside of that, the argument, to me, is less about whether or not I personally want it, and more about Blizzards reasoning behind not wanting it. Their argument basically boils down to "we are incapable of designing content that won't be trivialized or would be otherwise interesting with flying in game", and then go on to blame the players for any social issues that have arisen from flying as if it's out of their hands. Effectively saying that they're not in control of their own game.

My argument, whether I wanted flying or not, is that indicates a pretty distinct lack of creativity and inability to be responsible for what players are allowed to do under systems they set up in a game they created.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Blizzard is revamping all mounts to adapt to the circumstances of the zone. So your flyer-only will become a flying/ground hybrid.

• Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    For sure, totally agree. The onus is on them as developers to create a more interesting game with the systems they implement, and just saying "well shit, I've got nothing Ed, let's just disable it in the current content" is disappointing from my perspective as a player.

Still, it's a situation that doesn't appear to ever be changing, because from all indications they're pretty content to leave this game (and this is going to sound like an indictment, and it probably is, but I don't mean for it to be so scathing) on autopilot and just develop new monsters to kill and buildings to travel to and call it a day. And maybe that's okay, but man I'll say this: what I wouldn't give to see them hungry again as developers, really free to build this monster of a game from the ground up with today's technology and resources, rather than be shackled to decade-plus-old technology because it's the most financially beneficial option.

• Options
    NumiNumi Registered User regular
    Their little crusade against flying would be more useful if it included actually improving aspects of the game instead of just cutting stuff out and doing a little happy dance. They could do things like reducing the casting time on the ground mounts like they did on the isle of thunder when you had that little buff, or just go full bore and remove it all together. And why not add a ton of decent speed boosts like the feathers from the timeless isle.

And lets not forget that these are the same people that thought putting mobs with a powerful charge and stun on the way to ordos was such a wonderful idea they added three of them in positions that would ensure they would screw people over. On a low geared alt those things are a pain in the ass and what I'm feeling when I have to navigate past them isn't immersion, it is just annoyance.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Madican wrote: »
    Blizzard is revamping all mounts to adapt to the circumstances of the zone. So your flyer-only will become a flying/ground hybrid.

Which is great, mind you. Many probably forget that there was a time when there were some flying mounts that simply couldn't be summoned in non-flying zones, and even a hefty amount of them without a walking animation at all.

But hoping on my netherdrake doesn't feel quite as epic when it's just shuffling along the ground at 1/3 of the speed it could fly at, wings folded up and just depressing.

I mean, hey, it's not like I think that zones that don't have flying can't be well designed. From all appearances anyway (not in the beta) WoD has excellent zone and quest design and I'm looking forward to doing that.

But I also like being able to do things easier when I'm leveling my 4th, 5th, 11th level 100, and I'm still annoyed that they never put in an heirloom flying book in MoP. In my view it solves the problem of them wanting players to experience content 'the right way' at least once (to get to the level cap and/or do the level cap questline to unlock flying and the heirloom) and removes the slog of leveling an alt.

For all their work on improving he questing system each xpack, which I don't want to denigrate at all because it's far superior than it used to be, they still seem to mistake leveling with where the focus on content should be. A lesson they've outright admited to learning after Cata. Certainly make it interesting an as fun as possible to level, but particularly for people that don't play a lot of alts, they're still only ever going to see it once, maybe twice...focus should be on content that is replayable, the things that will keep normal* people subscribing and playing.

So that perspective, yeah, it certainly boils down to "I want it" vs "I don't care/want it", but it wouldn't even have to boil down to that if they could think of reasonable and relatively simple solutions that are win/wins for all parties.

*by normal I mean who don't feel the need to have a character at the level cap of every single class. :P

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    It's so....Blizzard that we're getting a release date for the release date.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Numi wrote: »
    Their little crusade against flying would be more useful if it included actually improving aspects of the game instead of just cutting stuff out and doing a little happy dance. They could do things like reducing the casting time on the ground mounts like they did on the isle of thunder when you had that little buff, or just go full bore and remove it all together. And why not add a ton of decent speed boosts like the feathers from the timeless isle.

And lets not forget that these are the same people that thought putting mobs with a powerful charge and stun on the way to ordos was such a wonderful idea they added three of them in positions that would ensure they would screw people over. On a low geared alt those things are a pain in the ass and what I'm feeling when I have to navigate past them isn't immersion, it is just annoyance.

Only moderately related, I look forward to Hallows End every year because of the broom mounts instant cast. It drives me nuts that something that would so obviously improve everyones gameplay is reserved for a once a year holiday and for one single class. I understand wanting to keep some perks class specific but man, that's a big damn deal for just general flow of gameplay.

Though, I heard that last year they removed the no cooldown broom? I wasn't really playing at the time so I don't know.

EDIT: also the Barrens stuff was almost enjoyable on my Druid because of it.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

How does that work for the druid turn-into-a-bird-and-fly-away skill?

That's still in game right? I spent a lot of time getting the epic version of that skill like 6 years ago* hahaha.

*holy shit WoW has been around a long time

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    If you can't fly, it becomes old travel form. IIRC there's a glyph that speeds it up to ground mount speed out of combat as well.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    Numi wrote: »

Only moderately related, I look forward to Hallows End every year because of the broom mounts instant cast. It drives me nuts that something that would so obviously improve everyones gameplay is reserved for a once a year holiday and for one single class. I understand wanting to keep some perks class specific but man, that's a big damn deal for just general flow of gameplay.

Though, I heard that last year they removed the no cooldown broom? I wasn't really playing at the time so I don't know.

EDIT: also the Barrens stuff was almost enjoyable on my Druid because of it.
    Jumping off a cliff and summoning a broom mid air is so goddamn fun.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Blizz has implemented a ton of shit that just makes ground travel fucking awful. If they would ditch the backasswards thinking that led to many of those things and deep six them, I think they would find that people would have far less complaints about ground travel. I'd argue it's less about not finding creative ways to prevent flying from trivializing content. Hell I'm pretty sure most would bitch about any creative methods that prevent flying from trivializing content, since most of it would probably feel pretty similar to some of the shit that makes ground travel awful, could possible be worse (flying mobs that dismount you, yo).

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    Blizz has implemented a ton of shit that just makes ground travel fucking awful. If they would ditch the backasswards thinking that led to many of those things and deep six them, I think they would find that people would have far less complaints about ground travel. I'd argue it's less about not finding creative ways to prevent flying from trivializing content. Hell I'm pretty sure most would bitch about any creative methods that prevent flying from trivializing content, since most of it would probably feel pretty similar to some of the shit that makes ground travel awful, could possible be worse (flying mobs that dismount you, yo).

So bringing back TBC style antiaircraft guards and those Kaliri around the sky guard quest hub in Terrokar?

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Knowing Blizz, if they found creative ways to prevent flying from trivializing content. Then yeah it would be similar to the stuff from TBC and that stuff was at awful IMO.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Halfmex wrote: »
    For sure, totally agree. The onus is on them as developers to create a more interesting game with the systems they implement, and just saying "well shit, I've got nothing Ed, let's just disable it in the current content" is disappointing from my perspective as a player.

Still, it's a situation that doesn't appear to ever be changing, because from all indications they're pretty content to leave this game (and this is going to sound like an indictment, and it probably is, but I don't mean for it to be so scathing) on autopilot and just develop new monsters to kill and buildings to travel to and call it a day. And maybe that's okay, but man I'll say this: what I wouldn't give to see them hungry again as developers, really free to build this monster of a game from the ground up with today's technology and resources, rather than be shackled to decade-plus-old technology because it's the most financially beneficial option.

Would you be OK with "improving the tech" if all of a sudden 3.5 million players can't play it anymore?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Smrtnik wrote: »

Would you be OK with "improving the tech" if all of a sudden 3.5 million players can't play it anymore?

That's probably a bit extreme, but I'll go with it. They've done a decent job thus far of maintaining a baseline level of playability while still adding a number of visual bells and whistles, so if in this hypothetical scenario they were to move to a whole new engine which incorporates new model technology (better cloth physics...I mean -actual- cloth physics, individual models for each gear slot, etc), I trust that they'd be able to continue to maintain a 'minimum playable' option that would allow those impoverished 3.5 million people to still play the game.

Wildstar, as a decent example (the closest that can be made considering the significant number of old WoW devs who were a part of the game's creation), does a fantastic job of looking both stylized and graphically impressive while at the same time not forcing every cloth wearer into cloth tubes.

If a studio with a fraction of a fraction of a percentage of Blizzard's money bin can do it, I'm confident Blizzard would be up to the task.

But again, this is all hypothetical since it won't happen until the current cash cow dies, which is looking like it will take place some time around the death of our livegiving sun.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Smrtnik wrote: »

It's not really that black and white. He wasn't saying rebuild WoW (I don't think anyway), just build a brand new game using more modern tech that gives more design freedom. Let their creative juices flow again instead of being so restricted (with any of their current franchises)

And in that case it's not so much dropping a few million players, you're potentially opening the door to millions who are more willing to try something new than go back to, or even bother with, a 10 year old game; no matter how popular it still is.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    The new Gul'dan model is fantastic.

They just need to make one minor change and it'll be perfect.

Break one of those fangs.

180px-Guldanmetzen.JPG

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Heroic Thok down. He dropped nothing good and I coined gold.

Such is life in Warcraft.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I finally got my last two upgrades my gdkp group can get me, it's all gold income from now on. Unless hwf, I suppose, but the odds of that are near nil.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AcharenusAcharenus Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    So to answer one of my earlier questions you can still get sealed tomes of the legion after doing the quest. I've gotten 12k gold the last two days from them.

Acharenus on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    Blizzard's holding an event on the 14th to reveal the cinematic and the release date. I hope it's not too ridiculous. We don't even have a 6.0 release date yet, so hope we can get some news on that too. The trend indicates that it will release 2 months after the event.

My prediction: 2015 release, and someone leaves the event in a body bag.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    Blizzard's holding an event on the 14th to reveal the cinematic and the release date. I hope it's not too ridiculous. We don't even have a 6.0 release date yet, so hope we can get some news on that too. The trend indicates that it will release 2 months after the event.

My prediction: 2015 release, and someone leaves the event in a body bag.

A public burning of the current head of game development
    Where he will be denounced for his lack of listening to the public and misunderstanding what they said

Well I thought at the rate they were going they were going to reveal the cinematic and the release date at blizzcon
    And then the Q&A would be a few insults about them taking so long

• Options
    Now I am in a debate I could just buy the digital game for my off account and ding my shaman since I do want the set that drops off the dark shamans
    But it seems no one wants to do a flex on the horde

• Options
    sumwarsumwar Registered User regular
    So mmo champion has some updates to WoD and healing spells have had their mana costs reduced by 10-15 percent on the average. That should help deal with healers going oom so fast.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Now I am in a debate I could just buy the digital game for my off account and ding my shaman since I do want the set that drops off the dark shamans
    But it seems no one wants to do a flex on the horde

I must be the only person who thinks that set is ugly. Then again, I hated the wolf-head helms on my Hunter since Wrath.

• Options
    My shaman is an orc so it would look basically the same as what they are sporting

• Options
    AcharenusAcharenus Registered User regular
    Last runestone dropping boss down.

I still need one, I was fairly sure I'd need another week...but to be one off the cloak...

The rng gods are cruel and merciless beings.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    WoW down another 800k subs.

Lowest its been since 2006.

EDIT: also that chart is incredibly fucking telling. Sure, you're never gonna reach WotLK numbers again purely based on the age of the game but come on.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    To be honest I'm fairly dubious that it's only down that far, though those numbers only go to the end of June. The 'fuzzy math' of the Asian sub numbers (since they are based on game time and not per-month/six months/yearly as the NA/EU markets are) tends to prop up a percentage of those overall "subscription" figures as well, though to what extent is (and probably will remain) a mystery.

In any case, I'd strongly suspect a similar if not larger dropoff for the Q3 report due in November.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    sumwar wrote: »
    So mmo champion has some updates to WoD and healing spells have had their mana costs reduced by 10-15 percent on the average. That should help deal with healers going oom so fast.

From healing on Beta, the issue really isn't mana, it's HPS. You have enough regen to spam your strongest healing spells for a while, but they don't do nearly enough to counter the damage going out.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Pretty much everybody knows why Blizz has lost subs, its the 14 month wait for new content.

Even Blizz knows this, they have just convinced themselves that it doesn't matter because "they will resub when WoD comes out".

Not going to happen tho. There is no Wow-killer out there, but there are lots of little barracudas that can nibble Wow to death. Wildstar, ESO are never going to be a match for Wow in sub numbers, even the ones WoW has got now, but they are out and people are playing them.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Every single loss they've reported ever has noted that it's mostly from the East. There's only so many times that can actually be true?

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Pretty much everybody knows why Blizz has lost subs, its the 14 month wait for new content.

Even Blizz knows this, they have just convinced themselves that it doesn't matter because "they will resub when WoD comes out".

Not going to happen tho. There is no Wow-killer out there, but there are lots of little barracudas that can nibble Wow to death. Wildstar, ESO are never going to be a match for Wow in sub numbers, even the ones WoW has got now, but they are out and people are playing them.

I dunno...even before Wildstar numbers started plummeting, there was a fairly big post on the Wildstar subreddit asking if people would be jumping ship for WoD...even there, in the heart of Wildstar fandom, the overwhelming answer was 'Yes, I'd dump this for WoD in an instant".

I think Blizzard will recover most of the people that've wandered to other games.

This discussion has been closed.