As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Resident Evil HD REmake and Resident Evil: Zero HD released, REmake 2 announced!

The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupinesIrvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
edited January 2016 in Games and Technology
PC, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One

11353620140805_120350_1_big.jpg
Capcom PR wrote:

CAPCOM BRINGS BACK CLASSIC RESIDENT EVIL(TM) FOR NEXT AND CURRENT GEN PLATFORMS

Highly Demanded Fan Favourite Horror Title Returns in 2015

London, UK. -- August 5, 2014 -- Capcom, a leading worldwide developer and publisher of video games, today announced Resident Evil for PlayStation(R)4 computer entertainment system, PlayStation(R)3, Xbox One, the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft, Xbox 360 games and entertainment system from Microsoft and PC. Resident Evil will be available to purchase digitally across Europe and North America in Early 2015.

The hugely popular Resident Evil series, having sold over 61 million units to date, returns to its roots with a remastered version of the critically acclaimed masterpiece, Resident Evil. Originally released in 1996, Resident Evil was then "remade" in 2002 from the ground up with new visuals, gameplay elements, environments and story details whilst retaining the survival horror atmosphere the series had become synonymous for. Both fans of the franchise who want a trip down memory lane and those who are yet to experience the game that coined the term survival horror for the gaming world will appreciate this definitive re-visit of that iconic 2002 Resident Evil title.

Using the latest resolution enhancement and 3D model technology, game resolutions and textures have been significantly upgraded, including 1080p support on next-gen consoles, resulting in characters and backgrounds coming to life in greater detail than ever seen before in Resident Evil. Not only will the graphics impress but the tense sound effects have been fully remastered with 5.1 surround support for a greater gaming atmosphere. Players are now able to choose not only between experiencing the terror at the classic 4:3 ratio or a stunning 16:9 widescreen mode but also the type of control scheme they play with. The classic control scheme remains for fans of the original play style or there's an alternative scheme where the character moves directly in the direction of the analogue stick, utilizing the standards of the current generation of gaming. Both the control scheme and the display options can be toggled between at any time during gameplay.

The intense horror fans first experienced with the release of the original Resident Evil is back. Taking place in the now notorious Raccoon City, players choose to take on the role of either S.T.A.R.S. (Special Tactics and Rescue Service) team member Chris Redfield or Jill Valentine who have been sent into the city to find the missing Bravo team. When the team is suddenly attacked by a ferocious group of mutated dogs, desperate for an escape they take shelter in the Mansion, but will they ever get out alive again? Players will need to be brave as they adventure through the dark, enclosed spaces searching out the horrors that await them. With limited ammo and survival items available gamers will need to keep their wits about them to survive the various traps and puzzles that greet them at every stage.

To download the announcement assets for Resident Evil and the latest game information head over to our press site at www.capcomeuro-press.com

DSY.png
30fps on PS4/XB1? :\

11353620140805_120633_0_big.jpg

hd_gf_ss01_pop.jpg

hd_gf_ss02_pop.jpg

More screens.

GET HYPE!

P.S. Is it ironic that this isn't coming out for WiiU?

Edit: Some of the screenshots are just not looking right. Just look at this and tell me something isn't messed up?

11353620140805_120350_0_big.jpg

Hopefully there is some kind of explanation, and it is fixable before release. Theories are already being tossed about that this is a cheap/lazy cash-in.
The 3D models (characters, enemies etc.) are in 1080p on PS4/Xbox One, but the backgrounds are just upscaled from the Gamecube resolution. Try taking a picture in 640×480 and resizing it to 1920x1080...you get the idea...

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
The_Spaniard on

• CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Time to cut my head off in celebration.

• CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Steam purchase here I come.

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »

Only on GFWL!

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I always wanted to play this version on the GameCube and never got round to it. Awesome!

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The reREmake

YL9WnCY.png
    Had to unawesome my previous awesome for hearing about this after seeing the pictures. Seems more like a DeRemake.

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Cade wrote: »
    Had to unawesome my previous awesome for hearing about this after seeing the pictures. Seems more like a DeRemake.

Damn you Capcom! You just lost me an awesome! *Shakes fist in random direction*

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    We need to burn that awesome before it comes back as a Crimson Agree

YL9WnCY.png
  • BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    As much as I would love this to be done properly. It is a cheap and lazy cash in, they are not extending the 4:3 frame with new artwork, but instead cropping for the 16:9 frame and throwing in some AA. this ruins a lot the composition and creepy angles of the original. No thanks capcom.

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular

Only on GFWL!
    Oh for goddamn fuck's sake....

Panda4You wrote: »

Only on GFWL!
    Oh for goddamn fuck's sake....

It was only a joke, please don't hit me!

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    There are 2 things that this news makes me think:

1) I am excited! That game was great and I never really finished it because there was so much other stuff going on and I never had a gamecube, so I got it for my Wii and by then it was old and...hooray!

2) Man Capcom is really in trouble, huh.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Edit: Some of the screenshots are just not looking right. Just look at this and tell me something isn't messed up?

Hopefully there is some kind of explanation, and it is fixable before release. Theories are already being tossed about that this is a cheap/lazy cash-in.
    The 3D models (characters, enemies etc.) are in 1080p on PS4/Xbox One, but the backgrounds are just upscaled from the Gamecube resolution. Try taking a picture in 640×480 and resizing it to 1920x1080...you get the idea...

something isn't messed up, you just haven't played the game for awhile. that screenshot is taken when the lightening outside hits and flashes inside. its normal.

also pretty sure from the screenshots the background renders are higher resolution than the original. i know emu talk isn't allowed here but i've had the remake running on my pc (legally!) at 1080p and this version looks so much nicer. (there might be a filter who knows) i can't wait.

cheap lazy cash grab? who gives a fuck it looks great and the widescreen feature scroll is very nice and doesnt sound lazy to me.

Deaderinred on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    So, this is an HD port of the Gamecube REmake? I can get on board with that! Hopefully It sells well and we ger REmakes of RE2 and 3 also.

In a perfect world, I'd get Full RE 1-3 reboots done in the style of RE4.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    edited August 2014
    mxmarks wrote: »

why exactly? easy to do for better ports, square have been doing it for awhile and while i don't follow the business (i don't know why anyone who is just a player would) but capcom seem to be on a roll with re-releasing stuff older stuff on pc too. hell they are releasing dead rising 3 and the latest street fighter soon and i'm waiting for code veronica and maybe zero is this pans out.

maybe we'll finally get those re2/3 REmakes too but i doubt it. i would like the originals 2 and 3 given the same widescreen scroll treatment here but maybe with one of those playstation filters which makes the game not look like utter pixelated shit.

there were rumours that pc were also getting both of those chronicles games, i think someone found achievement artwork in steam or some shit but who knows.

Deaderinred on
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014

something isn't messed up, you just haven't played the game for awhile. that screenshot is taken when the lightening outside hits and flashes inside. its normal.

also pretty sure from the screenshots the background renders are higher resolution than the original. i know emu talk isn't allowed here but i've had the remake running on my pc (legally!) at 1080p and this version looks so much nicer. (there might be a filter who knows) i can't wait.

cheap lazy cash grab? who gives a fuck it looks great and the widescreen feature scroll is very nice and doesnt sound lazy to me.

Uhm.

Original

RE4P08_a79bddc5_6.png

C2B on
    edited August 2014

RE4P08_a79bddc5_6.png

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/86595

Edit: Beaten on the first image.

The_Spaniard on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited August 2014

No, something else is going on here. Either these screenshots are extremely badly artifacted, or there was significant editing done to the background renders. The backgrounds look like they've had somekind of full image sharpening and photoshop "painter effect" filter passed over them. The simplified, contiguous shapes in the screenshot with the lightning in particular are telltale fingerprints of a filter, but you can see it in the other screens too.

It seems like they're upscaling the background renders and trying to pass a magic wand over them to make them look acceptable at HD resolutions.

Scosglen on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I'm so weak. I'll buy this damn game for the 7th or 8th time!

urahonky wrote: »
    I'm so weak. I'll buy this damn game for the 7th or 8th time!
    How about 7th AND 8th time?

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    A remake of a remake

how droll, Capcom

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Naphtali wrote: »
    A remake of a remake

how droll, Capcom
    Some might call it a demake of a remake. ;)

edited August 2014

RE4P08_a79bddc5_6.png

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/86595

Edit: Beaten on the first image.

gamecube/wii version does not look that clean and i just booted it up to check. (the shadows for one, in the console non-emu versions are pixelated)

Deaderinred on
    A remake of a remake

how droll, Capcom

I did. In my second post.

Don't make me unawesome you again!

edited August 2014
    HMM maybe i am being dumb and maybe this new coffee isnt as great as i thought! (excuses excuses)

an old shot from when i had the game running on my pc at 1080p. (its still rendered at 1080p regardless of widescreen, it just renders black boarders)

cjXwtwn.jpg

before/after the lightening hits obviously, but the lighting seem weird when i played it this way anyway.

Deaderinred on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    As much as I would love this to be done properly. It is a cheap and lazy cash in, they are not extending the 4:3 frame with new artwork, but instead cropping for the 16:9 frame and throwing in some AA. this ruins a lot the composition and creepy angles of the original. No thanks capcom.

This is so far my idea as well.
    Though if they DONT charge me full price (say $40 for current/Xbone/PS4 and $30 for last gen) then I will happily purchase it.

But this IS Capcom...

newSig.jpg
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I feel no desire to buy this again and those screenshots do not change that even a bit. I already have three versions of the thing.

edited August 2014
    decided to take some new ones for comparison sake.

(full lightning blast, it varies between soft and subtle to big blasts also the lighting in general is duller on dolphin for some reason)
    CbUDJcU.jpg
    (quiet storm)
    UAROicV.jpg

new port:

eh, i can see what you guys mean but it still looks okay to me. im not expecting crystal clear life like imagery. it might have filters you can turn off like re4hd.

Deaderinred on
    So glad they aren't redoing the controls and making it more like RE4.

Yes there is no sarcasm tag here.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »

why exactly? easy to do for better ports, square have been doing it for awhile and while i don't follow the business (i don't know why anyone who is just a player would)

You'd be surprised.

Anyway, Capcom's doing fine lately according to their last quarterly report, so it's not a desperation move. It's just, well, Capcom being Capcom.

Or maybe the biz being the biz. It seems like everyone is going apeshit with re-releases. Hell, Sony's re-releasing things for the PS4 that haven't even been out for all that long. It's good for people who missed them the first time, but man. I'd rather have something new.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    I'm going to lie to myself and say that if sales for this are high then we'll finally get a RE2/RE3 remake.

Cade wrote: »
    A remake of a remake

how droll, Capcom

I did. In my second post.

Don't make me unawesome you again!
    Right, that's why I said, "Some".

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    So glad they aren't redoing the controls and making it more like RE4.

Yes there is no sarcasm tag here.

It does control like RE4

Up makes you go forward, down is back, left and right turn you left and right

Tank controls

Like RE4

• DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    I actually bought the Wii port of the GC version not too long ago, assuming it would at least have widescreen...no such, er, "luck."

...I'll probably buy this game "again" on Steam.

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    decided to take some new ones for comparison sake.

What I find disconcerting is that of the three screen shots the new one looks decidedly less creepy and foreboding.

It looks more like daylight is pouring in than a huge flash of lightening just struck.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    It looks like they threw a light Poster Edges filter onto the background textures and called it a day.

Crapcom just gets lazier and lazier... ReReMake? Remakes of remakes should be looked upon with scorn.

steam_sig.png
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Shit now I just realized I actually own the original GC version of this thing and never actually played it for... how many years now.

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Crapcom . . . really?

NNID: Rehab0
  • Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Rehab wrote: »
    Crapcom . . . really?

If the shoe fits.

Honestly, I bet if I white balanced one of those original game images and applied a filter or two, I could recreate the ReREmake image in under 5 minutes.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    4 was my first Resident Evil and it's only been downhill that roller coaster ride.
    Time to see how it compares to Silent Hill.

This discussion has been closed.