As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Malifaux]2 Ed- Ripples of Fate! Victorian Horror skirmishgame

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I'm starting with what I'm told is a pretty fragile starter myself - Lilith.

We steer pretty clear of starter recommendations most of the time. Something being fragile or difficult to play doesn't matter much. We start factions based on the aesthetics we like. The only reason I'm steering clear of Pandora right now is it sounds pretty unfun for the opponent if you don't know how to handle her.

• No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    The vikks play like Eldar. They hit hard but break easy. It's also tricky to get the hang of their upgrades to maximize their output. With the Vikks, they basically get one assured charge that both can and needs to destroy to roughly half the enemy crew.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Alright, Mother of Monsters built, and waiting for me to buy some resin bases for them.

What a joy these plastics were to work with. There were a could of joins that were awkward to do (the Cherubs drawing arm and Barbaros' sword arm, mostly), but there were nearly zero mold lines, and the poses are really dynamic and interesting. My only exposure to plastics in wargaming are GW plastics, but these put GW's efforts to shame easily.

Detail wise, I'm a bit spoiled lately by Infinity models. These plastics aren't the most detailed I've ever seen (or maybe I've been workign with metal so long I've forgotten what plastic is like?), but I'll gladly accept some more simple models to paint in between the super detailed Infinity stuff I'm doing.

The joins can be obnoxious, and some models have a ludicrously marge number of parts (I'm looking at you Sammael Hopkins) but they're pretty damn good.

After next week (because my hobby money is going into a copy of Ice Storm for some of the models), I'm seriously thinking of expanding my Neverborn. Mostly for more stuff to paint. I've been intrigued by the Rebirth upgrade.

Is that something that's going to drive me down the rabbit hole of buying more Terror Tots and multiple boxes of Nephilim? Or is it perfectly reasonable to run it with the 3 Terror Tots from the starter, and the 2 Young Nephilim and 1 Mature Nephilim from that box?

If it's going to require more than just buying the Nephilim box, I might scratch the idea. I don't want Malifaux to become another backlog for me.

@-Loki-‌ Nope you should be fine. You definitely don't need another 2 Youngs and a Mature. Conceivably you could pick up another box of tots (the old metals are cheap) if you plan on using the Blackblood Shaman to make tots out of corpses, but the liklihood of having all 3 Tots out and THEN summoning more isn't huge.

In other news, here's the 10 Thunder's art for Shen Long, his Henchman Sensei Yu, 3 Monks of High River, and 2 Peasants:

10532908_543707925757939_4715245447616785260_o.jpg

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    That might get me to buy into Ten Thunders.

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Pssst....his Avatar form is
    a huge fucking dragon!

I know. I've read the hell out of his stat cards and his play style is cool as hell. His avatar model should be nuts, though the last version of the rules they were playtesting was kinda lame.

Right now I'm all-in on Rezzers and really hoping Tara's box comes out soon.

omg. Someone on the facebook page said they're going to convert that kit into the Foot Clan from Ninja Turtles!The monks as ninjas, Sensei Yu as Krang (!), and Shen Long as Shredder!

<3

Mother of Monsters built and ready for paint.

634437_sm-.jpg

Worried about the Cherub, it uses its wingtips for a flying base and they're too wide to put both on the ground of a 30mm base.

• UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    Started working on my three other assembled masters in parallel.
    EB63Bjl.jpg

Man, 2nd end Marcus spent some time at the gym!

edited August 2014
    Put off having a game this weekend because I'm still fairly confuzzled by the rules. And I owed my nephew a game of Infinity. But next game night is definitely Malifaux. My brother wound up finding a The Thunder starter, so he's got the starter he first wanted. He's also watched some tutorials about duels and says they're not as complicated as they read in the book.

-Loki- on
    What's got you confuzzled?

Did he make sure he has the 2e cards to go with his starter????

Does an M1 version of The Thunder even exist?

M1.5 does. He knows about the problem.

Mostly I'm just trying to get used to the card system instead if dice, opposed duels and flip modifiers.

But I had the same reaction reading Infinitys rules, so next time we're just gonna have a game and work it out.

edited August 2014
    It looks difficult on paper, but it's easy in practice.

Eric J posted page 42 (via voting on the facebook page), we got the Resser intro page with Molly Squiddpidge and 2 Crooligans:

BuOYQnmCQAAXcxH.jpg

No-Quarter on
    That art makes me way more interested in playing Molly than the current model.

I've played her/ against her a few times now, she's a lot of fun.

There's art of the Rogue Necromancy in Through the Breach, and it looks pretty frickin' gnarly.

edited August 2014
    No-Quarter wrote: »

Yeah, that's what we figured. Just like Infinity where reading the rules made us both think 'what the huuuuhhhh?' (imagine a pair or gamers whose only real exposure to tabletop games previously was GW, now learning a game without move/shoot/assault phases!), we figured Malifaux would be the same. So next game night we're just diving in and playing a game, probably starter vs starter.

We even both prepared by buying Fate decks, so we wouldn't be constantly figuring out suit conversions.

-Loki- on
    -Loki- wrote: »

Yeah, that's what we figured. Just like Infinity where reading the rules made us both think 'what the huuuuhhhh?' (imagine a pair or gamers whose only real exposure to tabletop games previously was GW, now learning a game without move/shoot/assault phases!), we figured Malifaux would be the same. So next game night we're just diving in and playing a game, probably starter vs starter.

We even both prepared by buying Fate decks, so we wouldn't be constantly figuring out suit conversions.

Not sure when your next game night is, but you might find these useful - Scheme and Strategy Cards - print out two copies of the schemes so you both have copies to refer to during the game.

Also - Crew Creator

Good idea about the scheme and strategy cards.

We've both already seen the crew creator. So many options in there not in plastic. Wave 2 can't come soon enough. The art for Lelu and the render of Nekima are making me impatient.

I considered getting the metals but the Nephilim metals were... Bad, to put it politely.

Yeah, the new plastics are really top shelf.

Not entirely sure what I think of the new Riders art vs. the old models, but I'm willing to give them a chance. Maybe seeing them all at once will tie them together?

Some amount of Malifaux's GenCon releases:

10375902_833826779970462_1310763459165197103_n.jpg?oh=adaccd2086c1329f65ae57c55bff3c2a&oe=543B2208&__gda__=1413927297_8faba101850e4f1b4906258f522a16b6

This isn't being released (that we know of yet), but here's the art for Collodi and Vasilisa:

10593141_10204535099877302_674134238787589824_n.jpg

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I got Lucius AND Lord Chompy Bits! Oh my poor wallet.

Apparently the "and more!" means 16 more boxes according to Eric J. I can't see them not releasing ANY Arcanist stuff,so I'm guessing it'll be IronSides and/ or Collette.

Bad Juju and Lord Chompy Bits look pretty awesome (and enormous). Both Dreamer and Swamp Hag sets will be pretty ace.

I see they went with the Nightmare Chompy sculpt for the plastic. A fine choice.

Guess I can use my metal one as an anchor now.

So are Nightmare versions simply alternate sculpts? And only available during GenCon?
    If so, I'll definitely be getting the Whiskey Golem, as I want one anyway! Lots of other stuff I want, I guess the question is whether I can wait for them to make it to normal retail.

The "Nightmare" sculpts are traditionally only sold during GenCon, but you can get them on their online store during the convention period. This year, GenCon is 14-17 Aug (next week).

Yes, they are just alternate sculpts.

Ok cool. If the "Miss" sculpt this year is something I want as well, I'll probably get the "Hide and Seel" and "The Kin" boxes as well. I am still slowly working my way through the Bayou Boss ... I really am dreading the Skeeters. Soooo many thin tiny parts.

I saw in the FB Wyrd group that Eric J mentioned one of the other boxes will be the hoarcat pride. And then joked it would be 49 separate pieces. I like that he has a good sense of humor about it :smiley:

I really dig the lil' monster thing that The Dreamer has holding his hand now. Sooo much character.

Like, yeah, this is my little pal, is something wrong?

He's totally oblivious to what an absolute monster/god in the machine he actually is in Malifaux, as it is all just a dream to him.

Agreed! Plus that crew comes with an Ood!

Haha, I get that reference now (as of last week).

It looks like the Dreamer's box is him, Chompy, 3 Alps, and I would ASSUME 3 Daydreams totems.

If that's the case I REALLY hope they have Stitched Together and Insidious Madnesses available as well.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I got Lucius AND Lord Chompy Bits! Oh my poor wallet.

Apparently the "and more!" means 16 more boxes according to Eric J. I can't see them not releasing ANY Arcanist stuff, so I'm guessing it'll be IronSides and/ or Collette.

It might not be intentional, but it happens. I know with Book 3 the Guild players were left waiting for at least one model until the end of July 2012 (the Warden, I'd been waiting on that all year) and for 2013 there was an issue with the factory not being able to finish all they'd wanted or something, so Guild players didn't get shit until 2014. It's a bit fuzzy at this point, but I believe I got McCabe's box on a limited release in January, and picked up the Pathfinder and Riflemen in Feb or March'ish.

Also, I'd like to point out that you were right about them shipping Through the Breach out!

It just took another 3 weeks to actually happen.

*facepalm*

We should put the Wyrd crew and the Palladium crew together and make them order dinner. It'd take so long they'd all easily lose 10 pounds each. Easiest weight loss plan ever.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    Eric tweeted the Miss model is "Miss Ery" ... I don't have enough a grasp on all the models to even guess at this point:)

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Pandora-tastic!

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!