As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX South [registration] is LIVE! (3-days/saturdays sold out, fri/sun remain)

• MarthMarth Registered User regular
    I got some Saturday badges. I'm pretty stoked!

Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I'm glad PAX South is selling out, because that makes it a much easier choice for people deciding between South and MAGFest.

That and I'm happy for the PAX crew's success and all that whatever good sportsmen say.

NickTheNewbie on
  • sacratoysacratoy Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    I'm glad to see there's a lot of interest for this event, but not so much that passes sold out in moments. It's been 9 hours, and the single days passes haven't even dropped to low yet.

PAX Prime 2014: Pass [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Vacation Days [x]

PAX Prime 2014 Preparations Complete
  • 2spock2spock Registered User regular
    hopefully this will spread out the pax goers so it is easier to get tickets to pax prime(wishful thinking lol)

• Dr.RocktipusDr.Rocktipus Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Going to Prime and South this year. I'm a native Texan living on the west coast now, so Prime is the closest show and South gives me an excuse to visit home. With how Prime is getting I may not be able to go to both with any real convenience again so it'll be nice to do this once. Also who nows how crazy South could get, East is already headed the way of Prime.

Dr.Rocktipus on
  • SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    toddiuszho wrote: »
    I cannot "login to my Showclix account" because I was never given an opportunity to submit a password.

The Showclix site sets up the account and password for you if it went through.
    Go to https://www.showclix.com/my-tickets/login and click the "Forgot your password?'" link below the login. Enter your email and click "Send Password Help".
    If your email is in the system it will send you a link to reset your password.

IhtGIyi.png
  • michaeldemossmichaeldemoss LouisianaRegistered User regular
    We were so excited when registration went live that I forgot to post here when I got my passes! Pax South is close enough for us to drive instead of fly so it will become our "home Pax" from here on out I think. We can't wait!

ba2znj3fyg5r.png
  • KoToKoTo Monterrey, MéxicoRegistered User regular
    Got my weekend pass! This will be my first PAX and actually my first trip to the US since I was 12 (13 years ago), I'm UBERexcited!!

• The AviatrixThe Aviatrix Registered User regular
    I'm so happy... I half-jokingly suggested a trip to PAX South for my birthday since South is the weekend before my birthday... And my family members chipped in and paid for badges, hotel and flight.
    I'm glad that badges have been (comparatively) slow to sell out. And that my family is amazing.
    (I wouldn't have been able to afford it otherwise.)

x5XpZBK.pngEz7XjRx.pngml9Z6gf.png
    ugh scalpers selling south tickets now lol I guess i shouldn't be surprised

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2014
    As we always point out in the pax prime registration thread, literally zero people have tickets right now, in hand. Any ticket bought through a 3rd party, right now, has a reasonable chance of being a scam.

Also, since none of the days are sold out, it would be totally ridiculous to buy from a 3rd party.

zerzhul on
  • BlargdonBlargdon Deadly Handsome Man houstonRegistered User regular
    I also am a first timer to a PAX. Just a short drive from Houston so I couldn't pass up the chance. Hopefully I will meet some fun people and see some cool stuff if nothing else.

• PurpleSkyPurpleSky Registered User regular
    There must be a much smaller number of 3 day passes compared to single day if single days aren't close to selling out yet. I'm starting to think singles will be on sale until PAX South starts.

• GhostDanGhostDan Registered User regular
    Not necessarily.

Say there are 10k of each type of pass.
    10k for 3 days
    10k for Friday
    10k for Saturday
    10k for Sunday.

Now say most people who have bought passes so far are PAX regulars. They plan the weekend off, they travel to the PAX site, etc. They will all want 3 day passes. Let's say there's 11k of them in total. That's enough to sell out of 3 day passes, but only put a minor dent in the daily passes. (so what would be left would be sold out 3 day passes, but 9k passes left for each single day). Same amount of passes, but since logically anyone who wants to be there 3 days will buy a 3 day pass first, those sell out well in advance.

• PavioPavio Registered User regular
    So I was charged twice for my 2 weekend passes, their site screwed up. I only need 2 weekend passes but what's weird is I paid $130 twice but have the confirmation for only 2 weekend passes... hopefully they can correct that.

v6h3hfs2v597.png
    edited July 2014
    Pavio wrote: »
    So I was charged twice for my 2 weekend passes, their site screwed up. I only need 2 weekend passes but what's weird is I paid $130 twice but have the confirmation for only 2 weekend passes... hopefully they can correct that.
    email paxquestions@reedexpo.com with your information to get that solved. I've heard of a few cases of this happening, and that's the thing they are being told to do.

zerzhul on
  • PavioPavio Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    email paxquestions@reedexpo.com with your information to get that solved. I've heard of a few cases of this happening, and that's the thing they are being told to do.

Yep I did so hopefully they'll get it resolved. Their first response was that I only had 2 tickets so I said "ok, great". But then the two charges for $130 each showed up. Hopefully when they look at my e-mail and see I only got two they'll reverse the other payment.

v6h3hfs2v597.png
    Yep I did so hopefully they'll get it resolved. Their first response was that I only had 2 tickets so I said "ok, great". But then the two charges for $130 each showed up. Hopefully when they look at my e-mail and see I only got two they'll reverse the other payment.
    You will likely have to send them more information about getting charged twice and keep on them about it.

As we always point out in the pax prime registration thread, literally zero people have tickets right now, in hand. Any ticket bought through a 3rd party, right now, has a reasonable chance of being a scam.

Also, since none of the days are sold out, it would be totally ridiculous to buy from a 3rd party.

I mean it as, it is the first pax south and it takes literally no time at all for scalpers to try and start selling their imaginary badges lol. you are right though. it would be crazy to buy from a 3rd party before tickets have sold out.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Somehow my wife, who doesn't read PA, found out that tickets went on sale by reading the PA facebook page, and I, who am a forum regular and followed the twitter account for that purpose never got notified. Thankfully she is wonderful and snagged a weekend's worth of single days for us. We're going to our first PAX! Very excite! See you all there.

steam_sig.png
    It was posted on the official pax twitter before anywhere else. Not sure what you mean by not notified.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Oh, I set twitter to notify me when things were posted on the PAX twitter. Sorry, not like, I expected Khoo to personally send me a text or something. Just commenting on the weirdness of her getting them before I even knew it was a thing.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Somehow my wife, who doesn't read PA, found out that tickets went on sale by reading the PA facebook page, and I, who am a forum regular and followed the twitter account for that purpose never got notified. Thankfully she is wonderful and snagged a weekend's worth of single days for us. We're going to our first PAX! Very excite! See you all there.

Awesome! I'll be there too for my very first PAX as well.

Anyone have an idea of the ratio of first timers:regulars at Prime? Just reading some threads seems like a large proportion of newbs going to south. To be expected with it being first time in new venue and giving us southern folk an opportunity to attend. just curious.

• LazorzLazorz Tokyo, JPRegistered User regular
    Blargdon wrote: »
    Anyone have an idea of the ratio of first timers:regulars at Prime? Just reading some threads seems like a large proportion of newbs going to south. To be expected with it being first time in new venue and giving us southern folk an opportunity to attend. just curious.
    Yeah, I've noticed a huge amount of newcomers for South compared to the other PAXes. It's especially nice for them because tickets are still available, which really helps the newbies who aren't accustomed to the insane sell out times of the other PAXes.

I think it'll be cool going down as a veteran and being with a lot of new folks, especially if I decide to Enforce. I want to see that first-time excitement in their eyes as they step into the convention.

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Blargdon wrote: »

Every PAX is predominantly locals. So the first year of any PAX is going to have a majority of folks who've never been before. It's probably why tickets are still available too. Next year, once Texas is in the know, there will be a whole heck of a lot more people ready for them to go on sale.

YoungFrey wrote: »
    Every PAX is predominantly locals. So the first year of any PAX is going to have a majority of folks who've never been before. It's probably why tickets are still available too. Next year, once Texas is in the know, there will be a whole heck of a lot more people ready for them to go on sale.

That makes sense. I guess since i'm from Texas everyone I know has always had to travel to PAX. Having never been myself, I was under the impression that locals were less of a dominant majority. I also figured with costs in Texas being lower (usually) than either coast, that some people who had to stretch to make Prime or East would jump all over South.

Not that I'm complaining about being able to get tickets. Still just learning the lay of the land before my first PAX.

• MarthMarth Registered User regular
    It'll be the first time for me and the 2 people I bring, too!

Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • GhostDanGhostDan Registered User regular
    I think first year you'll see a lot of people from the other PAXes who just wanna check everything out and also have some nostalgia for 'first pax' experiences. It'll probably calm down over the next few years. But there's a lot of texans who go to East and Prime that'll probably make this the PAX of choice. That having been said, having new paxians join the community is always awesome.

• TripleozeroTripleozero Registered User regular
    What are the chances of PAX South tickets actually selling out (being a new show and all)?

What are the chances of PAX South tickets actually selling out (being a new show and all)?
    I'd say they're relatively good. The first PAX East sold out. It might take awhile, but I think it probably will.

• Josh5890Josh5890 ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Not going to lie, I'm a little shocked that there hasn't been a status change in ticket availability. It has been almost a month now. I know that it is the first Pax South but Pax is getting very popular and 3 day passes sold very quickly.

I'm not worried about anything but it just seems weird.

This space for rent
  • pelicanflippelicanflip Registered User regular
    Josh5890 wrote: »
    Not going to lie, I'm a little shocked that there hasn't been a status change in ticket availability. It has been almost a month now. I know that it is the first Pax South but Pax is getting very popular and 3 day passes sold very quickly.

Either they're extremely busy with PAX Prime which is coming up in a month, or there truly are plenty of single day badges left.

Still, that's not surprising at all though. Sure, 3-Day badges sold out fairly quickly, and being a new convention, it takes some time for attention to build up.

For example: for the first PAX Australia, tickets went on sale in October 2012. Three day badges sold out within a week, but single day badges didn't sell out until March 2013. nearly three months before the event.

For the first PAX East, tickets went on sale April 3, 2009. Three day badges sold out in February 2010, single day badges sold out in March 2010, just a couple weeks before PAX East 2009.

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Josh5890 wrote: »

Either they're extremely busy with PAX Prime which is coming up in a month, or there truly are plenty of single day badges left.

Still, that's not surprising at all though. Sure, 3-Day badges sold out fairly quickly, and being a new convention, it takes some time for attention to build up.

For example: for the first PAX Australia, tickets went on sale in October 2012. Three day badges sold out within a week, but single day badges didn't sell out until March 2013. nearly three months before the event.

For the first PAX East, tickets went on sale April 3, 2009. Three day badges sold out in February 2010, single day badges sold out in March 2010, just a couple weeks before PAX East 2009.

I'm pretty sure the availability display is automatically updated. I expect South to sell out because San Antonio is a big city, located in a state of multiple big cities. But it's still 24 weeks away. PAX's East and Prime aren't even on sale that far out. So for a first time this far out in a bigger convention center it does not shock me.

It's not that surprising to me at all. There's still a ton of people who don't even know it's a thing. It takes awhile for momentum to grow.

• BinaryTBBinaryTB Registered User regular
    I always figured 3-day passes are for long-distance travelers that need to plan things out way beforehand. 1-day passes are more for the "oh, lets go to PAX for a day or 2 next month" crowd, usually more local? So it would make sense they sell out closer to the convention date.

No data to back that up though, but it seems plausible.

• KoToKoTo Monterrey, MéxicoRegistered User regular
    It's not that surprising to me at all. There's still a ton of people who don't even know it's a thing. It takes awhile for momentum to grow.

I was completely unaware of PAX South until the very moment the registration openned and a coworker told me about it, so yeah that's how it works! As word spreads out, and as the day of the event draws near, I'm sure tickets will sell out

• CyberFeyCyberFey Registered User regular
    BinaryTB wrote: »
    I always figured 3-day passes are for long-distance travelers that need to plan things out way beforehand. 1-day passes are more for the "oh, lets go to PAX for a day or 2 next month" crowd, usually more local? So it would make sense they sell out closer to the convention date.

No data to back that up though, but it seems plausible.

3 day passes are for the lucky few who knew about it and waited. I found out 6 hours after they went live and they were all gone. Hubby and I had been watching the week prior but I didn't check on my lunch break, so when I got home from work they were done. =( Still bought individual day passes, it just sucks that instead of $65 I paid $90.

• DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Everyone is to geared up for PAX Prime. This will sell out but not until after prime hype is over. I would be interest to know how many tickets for each day there are, I had heard Boston was 10K for 3 day and 45K for each one day. plus media, vendor, etc. bring total to the max 65K capacity of BCEC. As one of my primary reason for going to South instead of East is the crowd that goes to East has gotten evil, I am hoping SA will be into the "Newness" and not the "Swag Bag Hoarding, eat all the free food crowd" that east became last year.

Dolarrah on
  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    This will be mine and Lady Palington's first PAX. We're very excited and even looking at putting together costumes.

SrUxdlb.jpg