As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WOW] Do people really pay 300g for Arcanite Bars ?

• Options
    sumwarsumwar Registered User regular
    financially speaking wildstar has not been a success. I see so many people say "lets go back to TBC with no lfr and everything is hardcore". That simply doesn't result in a lot of subscribers when you ignore the casuals. But ya Wow is going down in subscribers it's a really freaking old game.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    The sunk cost fallacy will help to recover many numbers once WoD releases. WoW's gone on for so long that a lot of people have quite a bit of stuff tied into the game. Mounts, pets, titles, achievements, visual representations of their time and money. If they just drop the game forever then they view it as "losing" those resources. Sure they'll take breaks and try new things, but it's something hardcoded into the human mind and is really not easy to overcome.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    I'd argue we're not even at a point, where the technology would allow for a well done game in plot, mechanics, sound and graphics can even hope to go on till the heat death of the universe. Right now every game that comes is doomed to hit a point where it peaks and the it slowly hemorrhages subs as players get bored with it and it doesn't have much luck drawing people away from looking at the new shinier games. Plus, lets be real, the game's lore is kind of crap and there are a number of piss poor mechanics that aren't going anywhere.

Then there is the fact that Blizz does stuff, that hastens sub losses. We get huge drought periods of absolutely no new content. I think they'd find that player retention would be better if they didn't insist on every patch having to be a grand affair that either releases a new questing zone or a new raid. I have a sneaking feeling that a patch with a new scenario would probably be better received and do a better job on stopping sub losses, and maybe getting people to resub, then some of the stuff done right now (the black prince thing, added upgrades to SoO gear and the free mount). Sure not as awesome as the typical patch, but better than months of no new content. Then there is the whole thing where they keep going back and forth between wanting the game being accessible and then shitting on everyone that doesn't fit their definition of "hardcore raider." Finally, there is the roller coast that some of the classes get taken on where they go between godly and gimped (obviously mileage varies, some get to go live for months OP and others are only OP during beta and PTR before being crap for months).

They still have more subs, than anyone else, but if I were them I wouldn't count on WoD bringing many of the players that left back. There is a fair bit of failing on Blizz's end, that is going to make some players very reluctant to come back. Then there are plenty of players, where they are done with MMOs period because those no longer scratch their game itch.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I logged in and my old characters are still there, unfortunately they don't have weapons or money and I have no idea how to play them, but theyre there. Theyre also all missing their mounts and riding skills which I didnt know was possible.

Now I'm afraid I'm looking to recapture magic that probably isn't there :/

• Options
    SomeWarlockSomeWarlock Registered User regular
    WoD will regain some of the lost subs, and there will be a surge at release, but nothing in WoD makes me think they'll actually keep those people. People will buy WoD, play around for a patch or two, and drop out after a few months. It happened in MoP, and frankly, it's going to happen again.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    The sunk cost fallacy will help to recover many numbers once WoD releases. WoW's gone on for so long that a lot of people have quite a bit of stuff tied into the game. Mounts, pets, titles, achievements, visual representations of their time and money. If they just drop the game forever then they view it as "losing" those resources. Sure they'll take breaks and try new things, but it's something hardcoded into the human mind and is really not easy to overcome.

Not judging from MoP's release bump.

It was gone in 6mo or less. It barely made a dent on the downward trend that started with Cata (which pissed away much of the good will of WotLK).

If I were a betting man, I'd say WoD is going to see an even smaller bump than MoP did and that by the time it's released they'll be down ~1m or so more (quarter ended over a month ago and WoD won't be out this quarter). I doubt the release bump will bring it up to its current levels right now, let alone make up any ground.

As others said, it's just too old of a game. Even if WoD was the second coming, it's never gonna see WotLK or even TBC highs ever again.

And, to be perfectly honest, few of the features of WoD are going to appeal to many to come back to the game. Too much the same overall, the layman will view it as a rehash of TBC, and bad word of mouth about things like LFR and flying is just working against them.

Making WoD such a traditional xpack was a bad bet, and if they try to do another xpack post WoD that is just yet another level cap raise with no fundamental overhaul to the game, they're screwed, as far as maintaining being the big dog. They'll just be another aged MMO that some people play but has no real relevance anymore. Which isn't inherently a bad thing, but given that as far as any one knows publicly, Blizzard has nothing else up their sleeve, game or franchise wise. And that's bad news.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I wonder if we'll see them pull a FFXIV-style relaunch in a few years? It's what I'd be planning, if I were Blizzard. Essentially launch "WoW 2" without the base-splitting problems sequel MMOs cause.

• Options
    MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular
    Which isn't inherently a bad thing, but given that as far as any one knows publicly, Blizzard has nothing else up their sleeve, game or franchise wise. And that's bad news.

Uh, we are talking about Blizzard right? The company that owns Diablo, StarCraft, and Hearthstone right? I realize that StarCraft 2 hasn't reached the heights of SC1 and that people are still a little bitter over how D3 played out, but they could shut down the WoW servers tomorrow and Blizzard would still be one of the biggest and most successful game studios in the business.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Next expansion: Instead of doing a stat squish, they do a level squish.

Level 100 is now level 1.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    I popped back in today with the 10 day trial and visited my old characters. I haven't played since Cata's launch but I was curious to see what changed. Managed to get from 83-85 with my Goblin Mage tonight and headed to Pandaria.

Most of it seems sort of the same but I think I'm missing some of the little details/changes. I wonder if I'll play it past the 10 days.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    MetalMagus wrote: »
    Which isn't inherently a bad thing, but given that as far as any one knows publicly, Blizzard has nothing else up their sleeve, game or franchise wise. And that's bad news.

Uh, we are talking about Blizzard right? The company that owns Diablo, StarCraft, and Hearthstone right? I realize that StarCraft 2 hasn't reached the heights of SC1 and that people are still a little bitter over how D3 played out, but they could shut down the WoW servers tomorrow and Blizzard would still be one of the biggest and most successful game studios in the business.

I'm not arguing that at all. I'm simply saying that they don't have any major games in the docket. A third (standalone) xpack for SC2 and WoD are the only announced things in current franchises. Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm are the only other games they're publically working on. My point is that they're not pushing any new IP's (again, publicly) and their existing IP's are only getting more addons. WoW is on a downward trend, sub wise, that simply won't reverse, even if WoD somewhat staves it off a few months like MoP did.

Like WoW, Blizzard certainly isn't going to be in any danger of dying, and I am not even remotely trying to imply that, because it would be silly. I'm saying from the perspective of a gamer, and a fan, their current crop of things in development leaves much to be desired.

But who knows; they decided to go with a Blizzcon this year without anything new to announce for WoW, likely nothing for D3 since RoS just came out, and everyone already knows about the Protoss expansion for SC2. Maybe they have something new to show that is worth doing a whole blizzcon for (since I can't really imagine HotS or HS are going to carry a blizzcon). But we know they dumped Titan, and I'm sure that was a major loss as far as development focus goes, internally.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    My shaman is an orc so it would look basically the same as what they are sporting

WoWScrnShot_080614_010745_zps989434ce.jpg

And so I have a question
    If I boost my shaman and choose her off spec restro it would hook me up with just restro gear or gear for both specs?

• Options
    Really I know people will come back as it's been so long since we had new crap in wow
    But as always who will stay with what game they ran off to and who will go back to wow is really more of a question

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    I logged in and my old characters are still there, unfortunately they don't have weapons or money and I have no idea how to play them, but theyre there. Theyre also all missing their mounts and riding skills which I didnt know was possible.

Just how long have you been gone? At one point all mount items were converted into spells accessed from mount and pet screen. At the time you had to right click them to learn them, and for new ones you do too, but perhaps some patch since automated it for the old ones people had?

What level is the character you want to play?
    vegeta_666 wrote: »
    I popped back in today with the 10 day trial and visited my old characters. I haven't played since Cata's launch but I was curious to see what changed. Managed to get from 83-85 with my Goblin Mage tonight and headed to Pandaria.

Most of it seems sort of the same but I think I'm missing some of the little details/changes. I wonder if I'll play it past the 10 days.
    Jade forest, valley of four winds, parts of town long, and the mantid zone are enjoyable, rest less so. Krasarang is dark and manages to put some leaves in your camera field of view half the time.
    My shaman is an orc so it would look basically the same as what they are sporting

And so I have a question
    If I boost my shaman and choose her off spec restro it would hook me up with just restro gear or gear for both specs?
    I assume you mean for lfr and bonus rolls? Right click your character portrait and choose which spec you want loot for. On my priest someone's I que as heals and are disc for the run, but have that selector set to shadow. Presumably the difference is even more noticeable for paladins, shamans, and druids.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    No I mean my shaman is enhance and restro do I get hooked up with gear for both specs? if I boost her as my free 90?
    I have a bunch of island gear on her. either way I am screwed for weapons
    So if I choose restro I can get free gear and then get screwed for weapons but use my island gear for enchance?

• Options
    MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular
    MetalMagus wrote: »

I'm not arguing that at all. I'm simply saying that they don't have any major games in the docket. A third (standalone) xpack for SC2 and WoD are the only announced things in current franchises. Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm are the only other games they're publically working on. My point is that they're not pushing any new IP's (again, publicly) and their existing IP's are only getting more addons. WoW is on a downward trend, sub wise, that simply won't reverse, even if WoD somewhat staves it off a few months like MoP did.

Like WoW, Blizzard certainly isn't going to be in any danger of dying, and I am not even remotely trying to imply that, because it would be silly. I'm saying from the perspective of a gamer, and a fan, their current crop of things in development leaves much to be desired.

But who knows; they decided to go with a Blizzcon this year without anything new to announce for WoW, likely nothing for D3 since RoS just came out, and everyone already knows about the Protoss expansion for SC2. Maybe they have something new to show that is worth doing a whole blizzcon for (since I can't really imagine HotS or HS are going to carry a blizzcon). But we know they dumped Titan, and I'm sure that was a major loss as far as development focus goes, internally.

While your concerns have some validity based on Blizzard's history, I consider them to be playing with house money right now. They have the Vivendi vampire off their back, and while Kotick's Activision doesn't have the greatest reputation in the industry, they've kept themselves from any blatant meddling in Blizzard's practices.

Team 5's experiment with Hearthstone created Blizzard's biggest breakout game in years. It's a safe bet that there's probably 1 or 2 other smaller teams in Blizzard trying something very similar. I think between that and how they deep-sixed Titan freeing up a large chunk of their employees, we're likely to see some new stuff announced within the next year.

Or hey, maybe those new games will suck and get cancelled, WoD will drive more players away, LotV will get delayed 2 years and HotS will be stuck in alpha hell. Those are all possible, but I just don't consider them likely.

• Options
    I really do hope they learned several lessons from the launch onwards about Cata and how it effected both how players look at the game and how blizzard looks at both the players and the game

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    While I can't really speak for blizz in general,(nor do I want to) I do remember when Wow was big enough that it had its own sub-forum on the these boards. Even when they created the MMO forum Wow took up half the front page with various threads. This kept up right until halfway into Cata. Now Wow has one thread just like any MMO game.

Its fairly obvious that Wow was a fluke in its popularity. A mmo with a known gamer IP(Warcraft), that at its launch did pretty much everything right in terms of gameplay. We forget that compared to most MMO's at the time Vanilla was pretty easy. That however was 10 years ago and the MMO genre has evolved. There will never be another Wow. Not in terms of numbers or in impact.

Heartstone looks like it might blow up big tho.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    AcharenusAcharenus Registered User regular
    Man the legendary cloak quest is a god awful mess...

Lets add grind, grind, more grind...pvp...more grind...

When players reach the end they shouldn't be happy they should be immensely relieved that it's over.

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Yeah it was nice and all if you did it while it came out, though some stages (Valour and Titan Runestones come to mind) were just awful but now it's just stupid. It takes forever and is just awful all round. It doesn't help that they clearly have the buff for the drop rates in and they're just phasing it in and out to try and keep people logging in.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I'm doing the line right now for my warlock, currently in the last week of Test Of Valor.

Even though he's horde, I'm not looking forward to the pvp portion, the rest of it is okay.

• Options
    Bravo25Bravo25 Registered User regular
    No I mean my shaman is enhance and restro do I get hooked up with gear for both specs? if I boost her as my free 90?
    So if I choose restro I can get free gear and then get screwed for weapons but use my island gear for enchance?

Whatever is your active spec is the type of gear that you'll get, somewhat like how the timeless isle works. So you'll need to make a choice for now, and then pick up gear for the other spec as you go. If you are going the LFR route, I would go Resto and then use your rolls on enhancement gear. If you are not into raiding, then go enhancement and pick up resto gear for running instances with friends.

In WoD the gear, from last I read, is switching up so that it switches your primary stat (Int or Agility in your case) based on your spec. I don't know if that's still a thing, but it would be beautiful if true. :)

• Options
    As an aside, I have a few glory achievements left for the 5 man meta, I managed to solo the 5 quilin one the other night on my warlock rather easily, wondering if a 522 or so warlock can solo the rest

• Options
    Bravo25 wrote: »

Whatever is your active spec is the type of gear that you'll get, somewhat like how the timeless isle works. So you'll need to make a choice for now, and then pick up gear for the other spec as you go. If you are going the LFR route, I would go Resto and then use your rolls on enhancement gear. If you are not into raiding, then go enhancement and pick up resto gear for running instances with friends.

In WoD the gear, from last I read, is switching up so that it switches your primary stat (Int or Agility in your case) based on your spec. I don't know if that's still a thing, but it would be beautiful if true. :)

All I want is to get the Dark Shaman gear
    Hense I could get into a flex if I was resto more likely than enhance.

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    While I can't really speak for blizz in general,(nor do I want to) I do remember when Wow was big enough that it had its own sub-forum on the these boards. Even when they created the MMO forum Wow took up half the front page with various threads. This kept up right until halfway into Cata. Now Wow has one thread just like any MMO game.

As I remember it, the mods decided that having loads of threads was not such a good idea and pushed towards one thread. I could be wrong though.

and a level squish sounds funny, especially if they add a symbol to your character portrait COD prestige style.

Mc zany on
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Bravo25 wrote: »

Wod gear does stuff like have int and str and agi all on the same piece, and the ones that do not apply to your current spec are grayed out.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    I mean, you're going to need to do a lot of work to get the gear necessary to get in a flex raid.

No one is going to take a Boost + Timeless geared healer to Flex3.

• Options
    Well some people are beyond desparte for a healer
    I mean they begged my shadow priest to heal for them

• Options
    And I bit the bullet and did it enhance
    I did not know it gave you free bags. reset all your talents and glyphs.
    I looked more like a warrior than a shaman

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    oh man, the molten corgi is the anniversary day login reward
    based blizzard might actually love us?

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    also that core hound mount that got datamined is a guaranteed reward for doing a 40 man molten core LFR

• Options
    AcharenusAcharenus Registered User regular
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/

Tarren mill 100 vs 100 bg to boot.

• Options
    CapedJACapedJA Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Corgi + Core Hound Mount are basically going to be from the in game store as it will cost around 800K people $14.99 to get. Kidding, a little.

I am pretty stoked for this. Something to kill a few weeks with that isn't SoO.

EDIT: Wonder what gear will drop from this place, iLvl 550 you think?

CapedJA on
  • Options
    Acharenus wrote: »

So 60 people farming mid instead of going for objectives?

• Options
    CapedJACapedJA Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    Acharenus wrote: »

So 60 people farming mid instead of going for objectives?

I think it is supposed to be a death match, so farming mid IS the objective ... right? I am PvE, what do I know.

• Options
    I'll need to read up on it to confirm, I figured some kind of base capture

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I am genuinely shocked the corgi doesn't have a $30 price tag in front of it.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »

Just how long have you been gone? At one point all mount items were converted into spells accessed from mount and pet screen. At the time you had to right click them to learn them, and for new ones you do too, but perhaps some patch since automated it for the old ones people had?

What level is the character you want to play?

I stopped playing a couple of months before Lich King came out, I forgot mounts and stuff used to be items. I assume they were sold for gold, but oddly it looks like my mount skills have gone away (I tried flying on my druid since he had the epic bird form and it said I didn't have the right flying skills, no mount and no gold on my other characters so I can't check. My warlock still has his epic might though).

As for what I want to play honestly I don't even know what roles are viable at this point. Do shadow priests still heal when they do damage? Apparently I'm just given skills? Shits weird yo. I feel like I need a guide book for beginners.

I seem to remember something about hunter pets being stronger if you caught them at a low level and leveled with them but I have no idea if that's true or is still true.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    vegeta_666 wrote: »

Hehe kinda like the old palladium rifts system. You are in Mega levels now so your armor is mega damage capable armor and abilities are mega level abilities. So basically you could put them to in effect level 1 while still leaving them super strong for older content. It is cheesy as hell but eventually when you start getting things that are +2k to a stat you wind up having to do something or it gets freaking silly.

• Options
    Bravo25Bravo25 Registered User regular
    I stopped playing a couple of months before Lich King came out, I forgot mounts and stuff used to be items. I assume they were sold for gold, but oddly it looks like my mount skills have gone away (I tried flying on my druid since he had the epic bird form and it said I didn't have the right flying skills, no mount and no gold on my other characters so I can't check. My warlock still has his epic might though).

If you are in Azeroth, there is special training you need to fly there. That might be your barrier. Go to Outlands or Northrend (wherever you knew you could fly) and try again. :)
    As for what I want to play honestly I don't even know what roles are viable at this point. Do shadow priests still heal when they do damage? Apparently I'm just given skills? Shits weird yo. I feel like I need a guide book for beginners.

Shadow priests aren't the mana battery of old, and their heals are weak and will be nearly non-existent come WoD. The talent system has been completely rehashed a couple of times, once you get used to it, I think you'll like it. There is an Adventurer's Journal - bring up your character sheet or your talents, and it is one of the tabs on the bottom. It describes the core abilities/spells for that spec and gives you a good answer as to how to play.
    I seem to remember something about hunter pets being stronger if you caught them at a low level and leveled with them but I have no idea if that's true or is still true.

Hunter pets now level as you do. So your level 70 hunter that tames a level 11 Lion in the Barrens will get the pet up to 70 once you tame him. Pets have talents to a degree, and you can spec any pet as tanky, damage or special abilities. :)

This discussion has been closed.