As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Ultimate Marvel] thread

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    The ultimate universe hasn't been "the low continuity universe" since its first year. That isn't really a viable long term plan. When the ultimate universe relaunched with Hickman at the helm the titles were doing fine. The ultimate universe is doing poorly because any good writers get whisked off to bigger books leaving us with mediocre writers. Everybody was excited about the new ultimates but nobody has had anything positive to say about it and UFF hasnt gotten much of any good word of mouth either.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Plus UFF wasn't helped with the horrible art it debuted with.

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed UFF, and didn't hate the art quite as much as other people (but still agree'd it was pretty bad)

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    I really enjoyed UFF, and didn't hate the art quite as much as other people (but still agree'd it was pretty bad)

It didn't help that the color scheme they used for the FF costumes was poop from a butt.

Transporter on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    if your poop is purple, green, and blue

you should probably go to a doctor.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Or quit eating so many skittles.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    so this just happened in MM:TUS #3
    8D6oBu5.png

I don't think Carol Danvers ever wore that costume in the Ultimate universe, did she?

And what they're yelling about sounds an awful lot like Hickman's New Avengers cataclysmic plotline

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Bendis does that all the time in Ultimate Spider-Man. He constantly had characters in the background of police stations pointing to other events going on in comics.

House of M
    tumblr_n2nzpcZ7R81ru1hc6o2_500.png

Secret Invasion:
    tumblr_n2nzpcZ7R81ru1hc6o1_1280.png

Thanos Imperitive (I think)
    UltSpiderCosmic.jpg

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Quick question-The latest MOTW thread has got me interest in seeing what J.J's reaction was to Spider-Man's death. Is there a comic or trade I should seek out that has that?

Also, did J.J know Peter was Spider-Man? I seem to remember a scan where he offers him a scholarship or something...

• Options
    0pIfcbd.jpg

1FXI5L2.jpg

yeah, he knew

• Options
    Re J.J
    Death of Spider-Man Fallout has his reaction, I think. J.J, changed his mind about Spider-Man during the Ultimatum event when he witnessed Spider-Man selfless diving into the water again and again to rescue people. He found out Peter was Spider-Man sometime later, at which point he offered him the job with flexible hours and a scholarship.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Ultimate JJJ is fantastic

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Uff was doomed by that art. i get that it was supposed to be something different... but left and right half of faces didn't even match up. it was all a garrish smear on the page.

And I agree with the last page... they need to just let this one go... blast miles into the new rebooted ultimates universe....

give it to one or two dudes working together and keep the continuity from there. Its an excellent idea to have a side universe with real death and real continuity and maybe a different world vibe.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    little bit of new froms SDCC
    Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man, Katie, Miles’ girlfriend has a big secret and it may nt have been wise for Miles to have shared his secret identity with her

“Miles & Jean Grey: let the shipping begin”….they might not all come home, as the All New X-Men team go to the Ultimate Universe

Bendis told a fan that there are big plans for the Ultimate line that will be making people talk in about six months line

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I swear they use the "something big is coming to the ultimate universe in six months" line every six months.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    little bit of new froms SDCC
    Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man, Katie, Miles’ girlfriend has a big secret and it may nt have been wise for Miles to have shared his secret identity with her

“Miles & Jean Grey: let the shipping begin”….they might not all come home, as the All New X-Men team go to the Ultimate Universe

Bendis told a fan that there are big plans for the Ultimate line that will be making people talk in about six months line

Miles and Jean Grey? Why not? I know Bendis is just teasing me again like Cyclops/X-23.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    what did i just read - regarding Ultimate FF #5

• Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    what did i just read - regarding Ultimate FF #5
    After much convincing, Sue Storm agrees that she needs to father a child with Reed Richards. Instead of doing the sensible thing like trying to reconcile or asking for some sperm, she does the crazy thing and I don't know... tries to remove his penis? *shrug*

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    Lol I understood what happened,.

But man, what

• Options
    I've only seen scans for it, but that issue looks ball out looney tunes crazy.

• Options
    The last page of the latest Ultimate Spider-Man.

Damn you, Bendis. There's no way this ends well does it?

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    The last panel actually upset me.
    May has gone through so much already!

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Still going through the Ultimate series using that reading order thing. Ultimate X-Men #41 with Wolverine and that kid in the cave? That was pretty depressing. Loving this and the Spider-man stuff so far though.

• Options
    For being such a smaller, more focused universe, the tonal disparity between Spider-Man and X-Men/Ultimates is kinda jarring.

• Options
    Fury is a great example of this.

In USM he's more of a pragmatic goverment guy who still clearly cares about Peter.

Everything else? He's just a plain asshole.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I recently read USM from Miles' first book through cataclysm #4, which as far as i can tell is the last issue on marvel unlimited, and loved it. Is the Peter Parker run good?

Also what about any of the ultimates books? I've read volume 1 and wasn't sold on it, it felt like some conspiracy theorist wet dream by end. Does it get better?

• Options
    Peter Parker's run is the best thing in the Ultimate universe, from start to finish.

X-Men and Fantastic four were pretty passable IMO. Had a hard time breaking away from mediocre retellings of 616 stories.

Ultimates 1 and 2 are alright as big summer action movies, but there's more than a bit of gross Mark Millar stuff in there.

Ultimates 3 and Ultimatum are god awful and you should avoid them at all costs.

The stuff after the first relaunch is mostly harmless but skippable. (The Thor miniseries is probably the highlight) up until the Death of Spider-Man.

The stuff after the second relaunch (this is where miles comes in.) was pretty decent due but didn't quite live up to it's potential.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Undead Scottsman pretty much nailed it. The only thing I would add is that Ultimate X-Men is very inconsistent, as they had real issues keeping a steady writer on the book. Every two or three arcs it would change writers, and with it the quality would change.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    The Peter Parker run is fantastic. Easily my favorite series

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    Undead Scottsman pretty much nailed it. The only thing I would add is that Ultimate X-Men is very inconsistent, as they had real issues keeping a steady writer on the book. Every two or three arcs it would change writers, and with it the quality would change.

However all of those writers are held down by spending part of their run teasing a phoenix saga its clear nobody wants to commit to. I'd read the first six arcs and then get out of there.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Hickman's Ultimate was fantastic, but he left the book before he could close it out.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Alright, reading the rest of USM it is. I'll peruse ultimates 2 and the start of ultimate x men but it's nice to know I'm not missing anything if I don't like it. Thanks all.

• Options
    SeeDarkly_XSeeDarkly_X Registered User regular
    Everybody was excited about the new ultimates but nobody has had anything positive to say about it and UFF hasnt gotten much of any good word of mouth either.

New Ultimates seems a bit like what the Avengers did after the very first year of their title: hand the reins off to heroes that were in no way the match of their predecessors. (GiantMan, Wasp, IronMan, & Thor resigned while Cap stayed and recruited Hawkeye, Quicksilver, and Scarlet Witch.) And sure J. Drew WAS technically on the previous Ultimates team with the big guns of Cap, Thor, & Iron Man, but not having those big guns kind of reduces the scale of where their stories can go and how seriously they'll be taken, thus carrying on the "Ultimates" name just seems kind of without any useful purpose. They're fighting street crime, not world threats...
    UFF probably hasn't gotten a good word because it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense... As a team, what they are together to do, I mean... most of them were Ultimates and they might be carrying on in the "save the world" tradition way more so than New U are. And they are apparently facing off the threat of the "Dark Ultipets..."
    So why aren't the FF the Ultimates again? Did anyone get the memo that ever made that make sense?

I don't hate New Ultimates... in fact I like the story overall... but the name doesn't mean anything, almost the same way it doesn't really mean anything that b-list heroes from the Great Lakes call themselves "Avengers," except the New U take themselves more seriously doing it.
    They should be something more like Defenders, Champions, Amazing Friends, Warriors, or anything else.
    Which reminds me... why have we never seen an Ultimate Speedball?

Fan of roleplaying, fantasy, and sci-fi? Read The Myth Prosaic by Georgia Z.
    The story revolves around a character who plays an RPG and how that experience becomes useful to him in a dystopian future.
    It's free online, presented as a web-serial, with updates 3 times a week. No Ads. Nothing to buy.
    The Myth Prosaic - Book I of The Mythic Chess Set by Georgia Z
    Follow on Twitter - Follow on Facebook
  • Options
    So Ultimate FF was officially canceled awhile ago.

Recent solicitations for All-New Ultimates #10 says "first of a three part climax." That one comes out in November, which would put #12 in January.

Bendis teased something big happening to the Ultimate Universe soon, about six months from the beginning of August (i.e. January)

Given it's been less than a year since their third relaunch, maybe we'll be seeing the end of the line after all? (With Miles probably making the jump to 616).

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    People keep suggesting Ultimate Spider-man move to 616, but I think that is a terrible idea. All the supporting characters, development etc are in the Ultimate universe. To move the character to another universe would mean throwing all that away. If the rest of the titles suck then just keep Ultimate Spider-man as the sole Ultimate universe comic and leave it as that.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Everybody was excited about the new ultimates but nobody has had anything positive to say about it and UFF hasnt gotten much of any good word of mouth either.

New Ultimates seems a bit like what the Avengers did after the very first year of their title: hand the reins off to heroes that were in no way the match of their predecessors. (GiantMan, Wasp, IronMan, & Thor resigned while Cap stayed and recruited Hawkeye, Quicksilver, and Scarlet Witch.) And sure J. Drew WAS technically on the previous Ultimates team with the big guns of Cap, Thor, & Iron Man, but not having those big guns kind of reduces the scale of where their stories can go and how seriously they'll be taken, thus carrying on the "Ultimates" name just seems kind of without any useful purpose. They're fighting street crime, not world threats...
    UFF probably hasn't gotten a good word because it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense... As a team, what they are together to do, I mean... most of them were Ultimates and they might be carrying on in the "save the world" tradition way more so than New U are. And they are apparently facing off the threat of the "Dark Ultipets..."
    So why aren't the FF the Ultimates again? Did anyone get the memo that ever made that make sense?

I don't hate New Ultimates... in fact I like the story overall... but the name doesn't mean anything, almost the same way it doesn't really mean anything that b-list heroes from the Great Lakes call themselves "Avengers," except the New U take themselves more seriously doing it.
    They should be something more like Defenders, Champions, Amazing Friends, Warriors, or anything else.
    Which reminds me... why have we never seen an Ultimate Speedball?

I don't really think the scope is the problem with the Ultimates. Everybody was really jazzed about the concept but the writing is kinda lame.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Heatwave wrote: »
    People keep suggesting Ultimate Spider-man move to 616, but I think that is a terrible idea. All the supporting characters, development etc are in the Ultimate universe. To move the character to another universe would mean throwing all that away. If the rest of the titles suck then just keep Ultimate Spider-man as the sole Ultimate universe comic and leave it as that.

Why couldn't they bring his supporting cast with him?

And his development doesn't go away just because he's in a new universe.

• Options

Because the supporting cast is large and have their own lives.

You're right about the development of his character not being affected. I'm not sure how to explain it, but I just feel like past events in both his and Peter's lives would have little meaning anymore because a move to a new universe.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    SeeDarkly_XSeeDarkly_X Registered User regular
    Tell that to DC. /snark

As far as supporting cast, I've heard rumors that the 616 and Ultimate worlds were supposed to merge due to this whole "Incursion" storyline that has been going on in the New Avengers title.
    Rumors...
    Nothing confirmed...
    Only rumors...
    The price for saving both could be anyone being permanently stranded in the other.
    Unless he's "sticking" around because... Spider-verse?

Fan of roleplaying, fantasy, and sci-fi? Read The Myth Prosaic by Georgia Z.
    The story revolves around a character who plays an RPG and how that experience becomes useful to him in a dystopian future.
    It's free online, presented as a web-serial, with updates 3 times a week. No Ads. Nothing to buy.
    The Myth Prosaic - Book I of The Mythic Chess Set by Georgia Z
    Follow on Twitter - Follow on Facebook
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular

If there is anyone who needs to jump universes, it's Ultimate Peter clone Jessica Drew to the Gwen Stacy Spider-Woman universe.

In fact.

Just give me the Gwen universe ongoing and I'm good.