As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Single Origin, Organic, Genetically Nonengineered food thread [Food Thread]

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    hello food thread, I decided to try this cooking thing everyone raves about. I ended up with vegetable chilli

hu8QhYQ.jpg

I should have taken a picture before I ate half of it. anyway it was good, if a bit mild. I believe the term for next time is "kick it up a notch"

50433.png?1708759015
  • ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    instead I shall invent a new cocktail and report back.

so heads up, liquor 43, moderately priced brandy, a few drops of lime and a curl of lemon rind
    ... is actually not great.

if you let about four cubes of ice melt in it, it gets pretty good though? dunno what that's about.

A lot of times with high proof alcohol, watering it down a bit removes some of the bite of alcohol and allows other flavors to shine through. For instance, adding a few cubes of ice to scotch really makes it more aromatic and adds to the complexity because the alcohol content is diluted to a point where it becomes secondary to the other smells and flavors.

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Reginald wrote: »
    instead I shall invent a new cocktail and report back.

so heads up, liquor 43, moderately priced brandy, a few drops of lime and a curl of lemon rind
    ... is actually not great.

if you let about four cubes of ice melt in it, it gets pretty good though? dunno what that's about.

A lot of times with high proof alcohol, watering it down a bit removes some of the bite of alcohol and allows other flavors to shine through. For instance, adding a few cubes of ice to scotch really makes it more aromatic and adds to the complexity because the alcohol content is diluted to a point where it becomes secondary to the other smells and flavors.

Except ice puts a time limit on your drink and chills it, reducing the flavour.

Instead try putting a few drops of bottled water in it.

broken image link
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    As a total none scotch drinker, would distilled water not be most preferable? Only I imagine you don't want to impart any extra flavour to the whiskey, even the minute ones from mineral water.

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Preferably you should import the same water that was used to make the scotch in the first place.*

*I just made that up but totally wouldn't be surprised.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    As a total none scotch drinker, would distilled water not be most preferable? Only I imagine you don't want to impart any extra flavour to the whiskey, even the minute ones from mineral water.

I just use filtered tap water.

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    ScotFact: If you ask for a watered whisky in a Scottish bar there is a 50/50 chance that they'll just piss in it.

They have a ceremonial coin that they flip.

And when they're laughing at you afterwards you won't know why because you're in a scottish bar and everyone is unintellegible.

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    The funny thing is that here, at least, scotch and water (or scotch and soda, even) is considered way less heretical than a scotch on the rocks. At least that's been my experience.

Edit: and for some reason I feel like I've heard of using distilled water with scotch being a thing, but I'm not sure where.

ASimPerson on
    Liiya wrote: »
    Brits, Great British Bake Off has started, many puns about tarts!

WAS THAT AN OLD MAN INNUENDO IN THE INTROS TO EPISODE 1?
    "Been aware of Mary Berry for a long time, so quite looking forward to having her taste my wares...if you like..."

:winky:

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    I'm making Pisco Sours tomorrow night for Friday chill down cocktail hour.

It's a thing the girl and I try to do. Sit down on a Friday evening, sip a drink, listen to either Radio Lab, Story Collider, or This American Life, whilst snacking on something.

Tomorrow will be a nice caprese salad made with our own basil and using burrata cheese.

Dinner will be skirt steak cooked directly on the coal, with grilled veggies. Dessert will be grilled peaches with a scoop of vanilla frozen yogurt and a drizzle of chocolate balsamic vinegar.

I fucking love Fridays.

That sounds a thoroughly civilised way to spend a friday night.

• The Sad SausageThe Sad Sausage Registered User regular
    This weekend, I want to experiment with a crockpot.

Any recommendations?

• CampyCampy Registered User regular

Any recommendations?

Chilli and pulled pork are my favourites. Both are pretty damn hard to go wrong with.

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Fyndir wrote: »
    Brits, Great British Bake Off has started, many puns about tarts!

WAS THAT AN OLD MAN INNUENDO IN THE INTROS TO EPISODE 1?
    "Been aware of Mary Berry for a long time, so quite looking forward to having her taste my wares...if you like..."

:winky:

ho ho Mary Berry you old scoundrel!

• DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Guys I need help

We just signed up for an organic food-co op thing and it's great, lots of really flavorful and tasty veggies and fruits. The problem is I now have a bunch of veggies and no clear idea of what to do with them. There's only two of us, so I need to figure out a way to use them quickly so they don't spoil!

Right now we've got:

A huge (HUGE) bundle of celery
    4 tomatoes
    2 eggplants
    1 Metric Ton of Greenbeans

Any suggestions? Particularly for the celery. I can't think of any dishes that use a large quantity of it.

edited August 2014
    I need so much help that apparently it's causing me to double post

Didgeridoo on
  • wrong_buttonwrong_button Registered User regular
    I just got a couple eggplants in my CSA box last week, which I believe are going to turn into babaganouj (unless the ladyfriend gets ahold of them first and parmesans them).

Celery soup? Coleslaw?

It did not even occur to me that celery soup was a thing I could make. That is a good idea, and will use it up quickly! :D

• The Sad SausageThe Sad Sausage Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »

Any recommendations?

Chilli and pulled pork are my favourites. Both are pretty damn hard to go wrong with.

Chili might work.

It needs to be something that I can eat throughout the week without getting sick of the taste and texture.

I was thinking about making a roast, with potatoes and vegetables.

With celery you can fill the groove with peanut butter for a tasty (and vaguely healthy!) snack.

Or stick the stalks in a glass of red water and watch the water go up the capilliaries. SCIENCE!

All right I think I have a game plan for this basket of food

Today: Eggplant lasagna to use up both the eggplant and tomatoes

Tomorrow: Green bean casserole using this recipe (haven't tried it yet but I'm hoping it's good)

Saturday/ Sunday: Celery soup, and use the rest of the celery for peanut butter sticks

Aw right. LET'S DO THIS THING

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Aww pootaloot

I was going tos ay that I had a great recipe for a Chinese celery, carrot and cabbage salad

And that I made this Gujurati Dal this week that's like a lentil stew with eggplant and tomato and it was so, so bomb

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    Now hang on there, I'm still listening

I think that soup's only going to take up half my dang celery, so I'm still in the market for celery-related recipes! :)

Also LS, I just started doing Yoga, and I suck so baaaaaaaaddddd at iiiiiiiittttttt. Turns out my flexibility is a complete joke.

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Hahaha, well are you at least having fun? The fun part is pivotal.

Also you feel swag as hell the first time you do something you couldn't do when you started.

Celery, Carrot & Cabbage Salad (as always thanks @Blake T for the recipe because ugh this stupid cookbook is so good)

This recipe scales up, and I would in fact recommend at least doubling it - I made a single batch for four people and it was GONE like, instantly. You may want to double the veg and keep the dressing a single recipe, and if there's not enough to go 'round double it at the end.
    -

1 sm cucumber
    3 sm carrots, peeled
    1 tsp white sugar
    1 tsp sea salt
    2 sticks celery, sliced in the diagonal
    1/2 c malt vinegar
    2 tbsp white sugar, extra
    2 1/2 c finely shredded Savoy cabbage
    2/3 c spring onion julienne
    1 1/4 c fresh bean sprouts
    1/2 c mint leaves
    2 tbsp light soy sauce
    2 tbsp lemon juice
    pinch Sichuan pepper and salt

Using a vegetable peeler, finely slice cucumber and carrots lengthwise into ribbons. Set cucumber aside and cut carrots into a fine julienne.

Combine carrots in a bowl with sugar and salt, mix well and leave to stand for 15 minutes.

Add celery to a small saucepan of boiling salted water and blanch for 30 seconds. Drain, refresh under cold water and drain again. Set aside.
    '
    Combine vinegar and extra sugar in a small heavy-based saucepan and stir over heat until sugar dissolves. Simmer, uncovered, for about 1 minute or until slightly reduced. Set aside to cool before stirring through pickled carrot.

In a bowl combine reserved cucumber, pickled carrot mixture, celery, cabbage, spring onion, bean sprouts and mint. Pour over combined soy sauce and lemon juice and mix well.

Arrange salad in a bowl, sprinkle with Sichuan pepper and salt and serve immediately.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    ScotFact: If you ask for a watered whisky in a Scottish bar there is a 50/50 chance that they'll just piss in it.

In most cases this improves the flavor.

:)

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    If I make soup, which is not a lot because I'm lazy, I make loads and then freeze it so I have it for later. Broccoli soup is best.

knitdan wrote: »

In most cases this improves the flavor.

:)

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Don't feed the troll, fyndir

Scotch-haters should be starved.

ScotFact: I've still never had whisky.

I wonder if ceres will feed me any?

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    If I make soup, which is not a lot because I'm lazy, I make loads and then freeze it so I have it for later. Broccoli soup is best.

But soup is the easiest thing to make that isn't eating stuff out of a jar:

Chop things into a deep pan that already has some oil in and is hot

stir stuff around about for a short while

add flavourings & seasonings then some water

simmer it all for 20 minutes

get the stick blender in there and fucking blend the bejeesus out of everyone you hate AHAHA IM BLENDING YOUR ORGANS AND YOUR FACE AND YOUR BRAIN AHAHAHAHA ok the soup is smooth and nice now

add water/milk/cream as texture is required

Stir

pour into bowl(s)

eat soup

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Man, water totally does improve the flavour, and I've seen plenty of Scotsmen do it as well.

Also in regards to celery it's an aromat, so like, any time a recipe asks for an onion, you a probably throw an onion in as well.

Blake T wrote: »
    Man, water totally does improve the flavour, and I've seen plenty of Scotsmen do it as well.

Not True Scotsmen.

8-)
    Yes, that was the entire point of posting it in the first place.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Hopefully you end drinking nothing but the cheapest shittiest watered-down bourbon the whole time you're in the states.

• DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    I've drank some shitty bourbon in my day. Tastes like fucking charcoal and it goes down like glass.

I hope that the good stuff is better but honestly I'm not sure how much of a drinker I am.

I'd probably enjoy a night out on a restaurant crawl w/ plenty of cocktails, though.

Hopefully you end drinking nothing but the cheapest shittiest watered-down bourbon the whole time you're in the states.

I think ceres likes me more than that.

I think.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I need to get my old fashioned mixing skills down.

• DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Also when I drink I tend to have cigarette cravings and that is a can of worms I am just not willing to open again.

I've drank some shitty bourbon in my day. Tastes like fucking charcoal and it goes down like glass.

I hope that the good stuff is better but honestly I'm not sure how much of a drinker I am.

I'd probably enjoy a night out on a restaurant crawl w/ plenty of cocktails, though.

Good bourbon is really really nice. It's kinda like whisky, but different.

I love Buffalo Trace and Makers Mark, but for drinking neat they are probably a little intimidating for a non-bourbon drinker. This stuff is blended with a little bit of port and is very easy to drink, and is pretty great for a reasonably low price:
    Jim-Beam-Small-Batch-Whiskey-My-Bottle-Shop.jpg

Otherwise if you want something that is so smooth it's like silk, Eagle Rare is really fantastic. Bit pricey, though.

This discussion has been closed.