As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nebraska Senator Sues God

WindbitWindbit Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2007/09/nebraska-senato.html

It's amusing, and points out the fact that God would be convicted of crimes against humanity if He wasn't omni-everything, but what's the point? Isn't suing God in the US a sure way to commit political suicide?

Windbit on

• Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    If I were a judge I'd sanction the lawyer that filed that for wasting the court's time.

Edit: But I would also have a hearty judge-chuckle. Ho ho ho.

Medopine on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    I enjoy this.

Shinto on
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I thought he was actually trying to make a point about frivolous lawsuits, not about an actual attack on religion. In Nebraska, attacking religion like that would be political suicide.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Maybe he's trying to apply reverse psychology? Like, people will think he really hates God, but then they won't believe that and instead vote for him because they suspect he secretly loves God.

Aldo on
  • Options
    SpecularitySpecularity Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, it looks like the point wasn't actually against God, though I wish so bad that it had been.

Here in Nebraska, though, there is a shockingly nonexistent sense of humor about things pertaining to God.

Chambers has long been known to be the "nontraditional" senator; even if you click on his name in the article, his profile shows him wearing a blue t-shirt -- pretty much his uniform in all things official, even when walking around our capitol building.

I don't know the details that pertain to lawsuits, but I do think the populous in general has become frivolous with their use of the court system when there are legit cases that should be processed more quickly than they can be (ex: my roommate crashed her car with a BAC of 2.3 or something of the sort on August 1st, and she's had her preliminary hearing, but won't be sentenced [or whatever] until October 15th. Take that license away already!)

Specularity on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    2.3! Holy shit. I think you mean .23...which is still, holy shit.

Medopine on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Nebraska Senator Sues God....

....frey Jones.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Am I the only one who thought of this movie?

With all the destruction that's been classed as an "act of God", I'd say that anti-terror legislation might be appropriate. He's like Bin Laden, sitting in a place nobody can find, occasionally sending out messages on cheese toasties or underpass walls to let people know that he isn't dead yet.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    SpecularitySpecularity Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Except without that last part! At least Bin Laden's around to point at, instead of anyone who essentially says, "A magic man done it?"

(Medopine, yeah, that rascally decimal point. And seriously! I don't care about you people suing over banal shit, there's actual people out there who need the courts)

Specularity on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Didn't he do this in response to a woman suing to be allowed to use the word "rape" in her rape case?

Elendil on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm not sure our legal system is the best place for an elaborate show of satire.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2007
    I saw this guy on CNN last week and, astoundingly, his point is that the furor over frivolous suits is retarded, that seeking recompense in a court of law is a fundamental right, and we should leave the decision of whether a case has merit to the judge who has heard the arguments rather than the court of public opinion.

I applaud his ideals but man he chose the worst way to go about it. The talk on CNN went something like this:

Bobblehead: So you're upset about all these frivolous lawsuit -
    Guy: No, that's it. I'm upset that people call them frivolous without all the facts.
    Bobblehead: ?????
    Guy: So I'm doing this to make a point.
    Bobblehead: That frivolous suits are bad.
    Guy: No, my point is that the system works and if my suit has no merit the judge will throw it out.
    Bobblehead: So we need laws to defend against frivolous suits.
    Guy: No, we don't need those laws. People should be able to sue whoever.
    Bobblehead: So your point is that you don't like frivolous suits.
    Guy: RAAAAAAAGH

---on and on and on for like five minutes.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2007
    Windbit wrote: »
    http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2007/09/nebraska-senato.html

It's amusing, and points out the fact that God would be convicted of crimes against humanity if He wasn't omni-everything, but what's the point? Isn't suing God in the US a sure way to commit political suicide?
    Chambers filed the suit to make a point that the state constitution allows lawsuits to be filed for any reason, according to WOWT.

Solved!

First sketch comic!

20000511h.jpg

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.