As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Resident Evil HD REmake and Resident Evil: Zero HD released, REmake 2 announced!

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    It's a crime this is being remade a second time, yet not one Dino Crisis remake.

• BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    This is being remade because it doesn't cost much, they're mainly using assets from the GC version. A remake of RE2 would be insanely expensive and won't happen until they're really on the ropes, same with a potential FF7 remake. Either title would print money for the respective companies, but take years to produce.

Bubby on
  • LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    /yawn

Even as someone who preferred the originals over the new ones, this remake just screams money grab. Come on Capcom, actually create something you tools.

Lilnoobs on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    /yawn

Even as someone who preferred the originals over the new ones, this remake just screams money grab. Come on Capcom, actually create something you tools.

Who gives a crap if it's a money grab? REmake is an incredible game and it's now going to be available on more than just two systems (GC and Wii). That's a good thing.

Outside of Dragon's Dogma 2, I'm far more interested in Capcom's library of classics than I am of anything new they manage to make. I don't even want a RE2make, because I have absolutely no faith they'd actually pull it off properly. They'd probably turn it into a generic shooter like RE6.

Anyway, can't wait to play Invisible Enemy mode again. That mode was terrifying but so satisfying to finish.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    edited August 2014
    Some of us have issues with paying $60 for the same experience over and over again, others don't. Now, if they want to add something new that would be great. How about the original Resident Evil with a co-op option?

Lilnoobs on
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I will buy this game again because I want this to sell well, because I want this done to RE2. This is cool and all, but fucking come on Capcom and give me REmake 2.

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I know it's not Capcom's franchise, but holy shit, there needs to be a remake of Silent Hill. (Note: I'm aware of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories but that's not really what I meant, but I thought it was a fine game).

I mean, hell, there's a lot of stuff from the PS1 gen that would do wonders to be updated and I know that shit would sell. Get on it, <various game companies>! You can even Kickstart that shit if you're that worried about potential interest.

Some of us have issues with paying $60 for the same experience over and over again, others don't. Now, if they want to add something new that would be great. How about the original Resident Evil with a co-op option?

The idea that this digital only game will be $60 is completely absurd. It'll probably be $30. And this isn't an experience we've seen over and over, it's an experience we've seen once.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I think he means that the gameplay is untouched.

And I'm okay with that.

• RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    Capcom could of done remake versions of 2 and 3 on the gamecube but instead we got Zero and re releases of 2 and 3 for gamecube (bit of a letdown capcom, just keep em coming we are used to it now).

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I will buy this game again because I want this to sell well, because I want this done to RE2. This is cool and all, but fucking come on Capcom and give me REmake 2.

I think you're putting too much faith that they would actually build an entire new game -- which what a full remake of RE2 would entail -- if this does well. However lazy Capcom is aside, REmake is a finished, complete game that doesn't take nearly as long to tune up for modern systems and costs a pittance in comparison to a new game. This is a company that, for their latest and likely final update for their marquee fighting game, ripped out characters and background that they already did for another fighting game and called it good.

And after the omegahueg budgeting wreck of RE6, I'm not exactly sure what their course is with RE. Although I'd bet a case of Snickers bars that you'll see a port of 0 before an RE2 remake.

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular

The idea that this digital only game will be $60 is completely absurd. It'll probably be $30. And this isn't an experience we've seen over and over, it's an experience we've seen once.
    Twice, it was re-released on Wii.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »

I think you're putting too much faith that they would actually build an entire new game -- which what a full remake of RE2 would entail -- if this does well. However lazy Capcom is aside, REmake is a finished, complete game that doesn't take nearly as long to tune up for modern systems and costs a pittance in comparison to a new game. This is a company that, for their latest and likely final update for their marquee fighting game, ripped out characters and background that they already did for another fighting game and called it good.

And after the omegahueg budgeting wreck of RE6, I'm not exactly sure what their course is with RE. Although I'd bet a case of Snickers bars that you'll see a port of 0 before an RE2 remake.

You're breaking my heart man. I gotta have faith.

Also, RE:0 on Steam would be rad.

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular

You're breaking my heart man. I gotta have faith.

Also, RE:0 on Steam would be rad.

I would gladly pay 40 bucks for REmake HD and RE:0 HD as a collection on Steam.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Why 30fps and not 60fps? Laziness? Like do they don't want to reveal how little they've done with animations and so are keeping the frame rate down?

• DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    60fps in re1 would be weird as fuck given the static backgrounds.

Twice, it was re-released on Wii.

Sorry, yeah, I knew that. I've always thought it was a fairly useless port though, since it's not like it benefited from waggle (there was none) and the Wii was backwards compatible anyway.

I completely agree. REmake was a pretty incredible effort, staying faithful to the original, while also being a complete re-design of it as well. This is the kind of treatment I'd expect from a RE2make and I have no faith in them actually being able to deliver. Maybe if they hired Mikami and/or Kamiya as producers, I'd be okay with it, but without them, I think they'd fall into the same trap most other remakes do: Either a 1-to-1 copy of the original with prettier graphics (boring but acceptable) or an attempted re-design that breaks the game (like Twin Snakes).

I'd be okay with a RE Zero port though, even if it was the worst mainline RE up until RE6 came out.
    Prohass wrote: »
    Why 30fps and not 60fps? Laziness? Like do they don't want to reveal how little they've done with animations and so are keeping the frame rate down?

Nothing to do with laziness and everything to do with making the game run properly without breaking the budget. All the animations (backgrounds, characters, etc., everything except the doors) in the game are tied to the framerate, so upping the framerate to 60Hz (in say, an emulator) actually makes the game run at 2x speed. Preventing that from happening would basically require them to completely remake the game again.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I'd be down for them to reboot RE just as Tomb Raider was rebooted. That'd be pretty cool.

urahonky wrote: »
    I'd be down for them to reboot RE just as Tomb Raider was rebooted. That'd be pretty cool.

Fresh start might do the series good.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Do you really want Capcom to try rebooting it though? Or do you think someone outside should take a crack shot at it ala DmC and get how much fanboy rage?

(I actually like DmC mind.)

• ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Rubycat wrote: »
    Capcom could of done remake versions of 2 and 3 on the gamecube but instead we got Zero and re releases of 2 and 3 for gamecube (bit of a letdown capcom, just keep em coming we are used to it now).

It was always the plan to do full remakes of all the RE main series after the first one on the Gamecube. However, with delays to zero, Remake not making the sales Capcom were expecting and Capcom execs wanting RE4 out sooner rather than later (Mikami wanted 4 released after all the remakes), the decision was made to scrap the other remakes. There have been leaked documents and art assets floating the net of the Re2 remake. Eventually though I know a lot of them assets were used on the chronicles game.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

Fresh start might do the series good.

If they announced a reboot now, no one would buy this remake. You need at least one game to act as a buffer.
    I am talking out of my ass. I simply want RE7 more than I want a reboot. :P

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Do you really want Capcom to try rebooting it though? Or do you think someone outside should take a crack shot at it ala DmC and get how much fanboy rage?

(I actually like DmC mind.)

Let's be fair, it's hard to weigh tolerance toward remakes on DmC because the first trailer was truly horrible (even if you weren't a fan of DMC), and apparently Capcom listened to enough of the outcry to make the new Dante less punchable in the final game. But the damage from the reveal trailer was already done.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I'm...kind of in favor of there being games that get always re-optimized for consoles. Not rebooted, not 'improved,' not...whatever...extras, unlockables, costumes, just...the game in its best available form, while still maintaining the mechanics and aesthetics that defined it originally.

It's a shit-crazy idea that will never happen, but imagine somehow there could be...I don't know, some kind of video game equivalent of the Criterion, where there's a privately held company that officially curates noteworthy games of the past and makes them up nice with really well done packaging (but no maps or figurines or any of that shit) to preserve games on their artistic merit towards the medium as a whole.

Granted, they'd never get access to Nintendo stuff, but everyone else? I'd really like to see this kind of thing come to pass.

• OtakingOtaking Registered User regular
    I wish they'd make something new instead but the reality seems to be it's cheaper for them to turn a profit on the niche market that is survival horror this way.

Bit of a self fulfilling prophecy that keeps S-horror down since no publisher wants to take the risk anymore which is incredible since at $250K budget Among the Sleep is the best S-horror I've seen in years (bought) compared to RE6 budget of $100 million (I didn't buy it).

I'm not buying an RE remake. The industry needs a good crash on this glut of garbage to get better again and they need to stop cannibalizing their own IP and smothering creativity under the weight of their past success.

If they want to turn my head they'll put out something new and bundle this with it. Revelations was decent but I remember when Konami and Capcom titles were all must buys especially S-horror.

S-horror is particularly affected by these cheap tactics because horror as a genre is based around fear of the unknown. If you already know too many of the plot elements it really doesn't work anymore. 4 shook up the formula a bit with their not-zombies zombies but then they became predictable again and I don't think it's a coincidence that 4 was regarded as the last critical success (albeit I don't know about commercial success numbers).

Now get off my lawn.

You have way too much faith in Capcom pricing. Likewise, I may be too cynical in the company. But I think Capcom DLC pricing is on my side for this one.

You have way too much faith in Capcom pricing. Likewise, I may be too cynical in the company. But I think Capcom DLC pricing is on my side for this one.

Pretty sure it's on my side. RE4 HD was priced at $20 on PS3/360/Steam.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Otaking wrote: »
    I wish they'd make something new instead but the reality seems to be it's cheaper for them to turn a profit on the niche market that is survival horror this way.
    I'm not buying an RE remake. The industry needs a good crash on this glut of garbage to get better again and they need to stop cannibalizing their own IP and smothering creativity under the weight of their past success.

Even if the re-release of Resident Evil fails, it's not going to stop publishers from doing re-releases. If anything, it will put a nail in the coffin of a new Resident Evil sequel getting made...which may not be that a bad thing, I suppose, depending on the mileage you got out of 5 and 6.

It's true, re-releases have their advantages. They are considerably cheaper to make than new titles, and already have brand awareness coupled with nostalgia. They may even harken back to a time when people liked the developer/publishing house more than they do know, which may in it its way improve the current image of those groups. Depending how the re-release is marketed, it may even be possible to find a way to get away with a much higher price point at the same time.

At the same time, for a more sunny side up perspective, one could argue re-releases can be beneficial for a number of reasons. Re-releases could be interpreted as a means for alleviating franchise fatigue on a series that has lost its way, and serve as an effort to reintroduce awareness of the roots of the series to gamers, which may or may not translate into an incentive for the developers to take note and return to the source as well. Kind of a stealth-reboot initiative, if you will. I wouldn't mind if Resident Evil found a way to dial things back to a remote location in the woods, or what have you.

A failed re-release on the other hand...especially in the present-day market...only poisons the image of the genre it represents, and gives unproven/unknown titles of that genre an even harder road to reach mainstream exposure. I would argue smaller titles have a better chance seeing the light of day if sales indicate an appetite that may be more open-minded to the subject matter portrayed.

I'd rather see re-releases become less important, and serve to cater to the archivist and the connoisseur (if there is such a thing in gaming yet) rather than try to, say, entice the same audience that might want to buy The Evil Within.

Linespider5 on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    It feels like a test of the good old fashioned Single Player RE games. Personally, if buying this means I can get another RE game and not a derivative coop shooter that feels like a terrible Hollywood action movie it might be worth throwing $20 at it.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.

Due to the fact that it is getting both a boxed and special edition overseas, I have a feeling that it is going to be more than 20 bucks. I'm expecting/hoping 30-40 bucks. Though we might get lucky and get 20 bucks, which I think would be absolutely fair.

Due to the fact that it is getting both a boxed and special edition overseas, I have a feeling that it is going to be more than 20 bucks. I'm expecting/hoping 30-40 bucks. Though we might get lucky and get 20 bucks, which I think would be absolutely fair.

They did the exact same thing with RE4 HD and CVX HD, albeit in a combined collection. They also released a retail version of Ducktales in Europe shortly after the digital release (which is what I'm hoping they do here, as I'd really like to collect the disc copy).

I mean, I think there's a possibility of it being more expensive than $20 as well but I think it depends on how much work they had to put into it. Either way, it's not going to be $60.

edited August 2014

They did the exact same thing with RE4 HD and CVX HD, albeit in a combined collection. They also released a retail version of Ducktales in Europe shortly after the digital release (which is what I'm hoping they do here, as I'd really like to collect the disc copy).

I mean, I think there's a possibility of it being more expensive than $20 as well but I think it depends on how much work they had to put into it. Either way, it's not going to be $60.
    Ptfff I don't think it will be 60 bucks unless Capcom goes full retard..er, which I'm pretty sure they won't.

The_Spaniard on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I would be sort of interested in this... iiiiif there hadn't already been a Resident Evil remake and Capcom wasn't in such a blatantly-obvious cash-grab mode. I mean, yeah, companies should want to make money, but this is just so... half-assed. A reboot? Maybe. But Capcom has spent the last few iterations of the RE series stomping all the suspense and tension out of the series for more AAAAAACTIIIIOOOOON! I just don't see them managing to not do the same for an RE reboot, so not much interest on my part there.
    It's a crime this is being remade a second time, yet not one Dino Crisis remake.
    Since I've never had the chance to play Dino Crisis and heard a lot about it, yeah, it's a shame that Dino Crisis isn't getting a remake, because I would totally buy that.

• StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Aegeri wrote: »
    It feels like a test of the good old fashioned Single Player RE games. Personally, if buying this means I can get another RE game and not a derivative coop shooter that feels like a terrible Hollywood action movie it might be worth throwing $20 at it.

Yeah, I'm one of those diehards that miss the older style of RE. Nostalgia notwithstanding, I think the action focus of the more modern games makes them longer than they need to be. I put god knows how many hours into the earlier titles unlocking the extra stuff, whereas I thought RE4 was great but just couldn't get into repeat playthroughs - too many parts got bogged down in slaughtering parades of bad guys until the next door opened up. RE5 and 6, of course, went even further along the action line; oddly enough RE6 had the control and freedom of movement that I wish RE4 and 5 had, even if it got basically everything else wrong.

That said, I thought Revelations did a respectable job blending the actioney controls with the slower, more methodical pace of earlier games. You still had free movement and an AI partner most of the time, but the environment was better built for less linear exploration, you weren't killing dozens of dudes in every major encounter, and there were a few genuinely creepy parts. Wasn't without its share of problems - many of which stem from Resident Evil's now bloated, nigh impenetrable backstory - but it's closer to what I want to see from the series going forward.

Long story short, I think the series could do well by moving away from action heroics and starting fresh somehow. We might be a long way from a glorified SWAT unit trapped in a spooky mansion, but a little creativity and a less-is-more approach to storytelling could make a similar setting seem fresh again.

And as long as I'm dreaming, still waiting on that pony. In the meantime I'll probably get reREmake if it drops at a reasonable price.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
    I would be sort of interested in this... iiiiif there hadn't already been a Resident Evil remake and Capcom wasn't in such a blatantly-obvious cash-grab mode. I mean, yeah, companies should want to make money, but this is just so... half-assed. A reboot? Maybe. But Capcom has spent the last few iterations of the RE series stomping all the suspense and tension out of the series for more AAAAAACTIIIIOOOOON! I just don't see them managing to not do the same for an RE reboot, so not much interest on my part there.
    Since I've never had the chance to play Dino Crisis and heard a lot about it, yeah, it's a shame that Dino Crisis isn't getting a remake, because I would totally buy that.

What are you talking about? This is a port of the GC remake, so you should expect the most suspense and tension in the entire series (especially if you just so happened to run out of lighter fluid) and absolutely no shooter bullshit.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I feel like I've played this one enough. Wake me up when RE2 HD Remake is a thing.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

What are you talking about? This is a port of the GC remake, so you should expect the most suspense and tension in the entire series (especially if you just so happened to run out of lighter fluid) and absolutely no shooter bullshit.
    No, I mean that Capcom doing a reboot of the RE series would strip away the good suspense and tension, not that this remake won't have. My bad, wasn't clear enough about that.

No, I mean that Capcom doing a reboot of the RE series would strip away the good suspense and tension, not that this remake won't have. My bad, wasn't clear enough about that.

Oh, then I absolutely agree. What little faith I do have left is only there because they openly praised The Last of Us, so maybe they'll try to make a proper survival horror game one day (though it'd still probably be terrible anyway, like Revelations).

Oh, then I absolutely agree. What little faith I do have left is only there because they openly praised The Last of Us, so maybe they'll try to make a proper survival horror game one day (though it'd still probably be terrible anyway, like Revelations).
    Decided to remedy the whole "never played Dino Crisis" thing and, while stuff like using fixed camera angles to force suspense still irritates me, yeah, I just do not see Capcom being able to make games like this again, even with reboots. All the puzzle stuff would get replaced with "shoot a zillion things until you find these keys to put in something", and all the suspense would get thrown out the window in favor of mowing down hordes of enemies. As ancient and clunky as this game is, I'm not even an hour into the game and had at least a couple of great moments of hating surprising dinosaurs, whereas RE4 (which I played shortly after playing REmake and was expecting a similar survival-horror experience) was about as suspenseful as whether or not the sun comes back every day. I enjoy it plenty now, but it was a big disappointment at the time to have all the suspense replaced with all shootiness.

The shame is that there is zero reason they couldn't have different franchises for the action games and the suspense games, except for the fact that Capcom has its head too far its own ass to realize that new lower-budget games can also be profitable.

• pawa24pawa24 Registered User regular
    I'm very interested in this pending the price annoucement. I'm also hoping that the new game made by the original producer of RE, is as good as this. I think its called The Evil Within.

This discussion has been closed.