As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WOW] Do people really pay 300g for Arcanite Bars ?

19495969798100»

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Javen wrote: »
    Well, I don't really want to quit pet battling after this, though. I enjoy it actually! I just don't enjoy the leveling and running around searching for random wild pets to fight part. The strategy and builds and etc I like. It's just a shame that the leveling part is the worst part, and also the FIRST part.

It gets super easy to level once you have 2 high quality 25s that can solo whatever it is while the lowbie gets exp. I like using a strider with pump and a crawdad on the trainer near the farm.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, I believe it. Now that I've got a team and can tear through tamers, it's actually pretty fun. I just finished Kalimdor, so I'm going to run over to EK for the quick tamer bonuses before going to Outland or wherever.

I do think there are entirely too many pets, though. It's what got me out of pokemon, way too much to try and keep track of, especially since you can have 3 of everything. If anything, I want to get rid of some pets, to prune things down.

Also, how much does rarity play into things? I picked my team pretty much only because they were the highest "ranked" rare pets. Blue pets get better stats, right? Does it work out to a decent amount in higher levels? Do epic pets exist? If you've already got a team of blue pets, is it worth ever catching a non-blue pet?

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    There are two things affecting quality.

One is "rarity" which is same color as gear. Gray < white < green < blue < purple < orange. For a given pet, higher rarity means stronger stats. Highest pet owner by player can currently be blue. Pandaria trainers have purple pets. Some pets are just one pet (instead of 3) in pandaria and WoD and are orange. Orange pets hit like a truck, have a ton of HP, take half damage from any attack, can't take more than 40% of their HP in one attack, and have other bs abilities dependent on pet.

For easy to find pets you want to try and capture a blue. For hard ones to find (like the minfernal that spawns one of every 6 or more hours) you want to take the first one you see then spend a pet upgrade stone to turn it blue. You get these from tamer dailies in pandaria and WoD.

The other measure of quality is based on breed, and the default ui doesn't show that at all, you need a mod to even see it. If you are casual about pets it doesn't really matter, of you are gardcore it does. Essentially any given pet type (say Calico cat) can spawn h/h which means extra health, h/s which means extra speed, or h/p which means extra power, or p/p which means super extra power bit short on HP, etc...
    Since some skills interact with speed, HP, and power in interesting ways, depending on the pet one type may be more min max then another.

The people that love doing pet stuff will farm the really hard ones to find (the ones that have spawn times of hours or days), check the type, and if it is not what they are looking for they keep farming).

Keep in mind you can rename pets, favorite then (which puts them on top), sort by several factors, and filter by several factors including name.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AcharenusAcharenus Registered User regular
    I enjoy pet battles quite a lot. If I had the hand helds that all the pokemon games are on these days I'd be playing them like crazy.

But the leveling is a real grind...it sucks the fun out of the minigame pretty quickly.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    It's also incredibly jarring to go from such a twitchy game that is WoW, so a completely turn-based experience

• Options
    BaalorBaalor Registered User regular
    I always found wow pet breeds confusing. Usually stuff with stat budgets hit diminishing returns when you keep dumping the budget in one stat.
    However with wow pets its the other way around. You want a pet with the whole budget in 1 stat and the worst pets are the ones where its completely balanced.

The only reason I can think of for doing it this way is to make people choose between the 3 optimal types (max hp, max speed or max power) instead of everyone going for the most balanced breed. But most pets don't even have a lot of breed choices in the first place.

Some more WoD raid testing got done this week and I have to say I really liked the bosses. Multi.phased fights with lots of jobs to spread around. Can't wait to see them on mythic.
    I just hope they do a number tuning pass soon since shadow is still a mess with everything either being way too good or never worth using. Its making it hard to get a sense of how its supposed to be played.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Wait, did someone say there are TOO many pets? I think not!!!

Okay, okay, you do have a point, there are an astounding amount of pets. That being said, a lot of them share the same moves, if not the same moveset, so you only have to capture one. So, you don't need 17 cockroaches, 13 mice, and 12 cubs.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Wait, did someone say there are TOO many pets? I think not!!!

Okay, okay, you do have a point, there are an astounding amount of pets. That being said, a lot of them share the same moves, if not the same moveset, so you only have to capture one. So, you don't need 17 cockroaches, 13 mice, and 12 cubs.

Unless you are achievement hunting and then it's "Gotta Catch 'Em All"

This discussion has been closed.