As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The New (and On Notice) Obama Thread

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    So, the President has signed a major pro-labor executive order - under it, any company with over $1M in federal contracts is hereby prohibited from enforcing mandatory binding arbitration clauses on employees, under penalty of being disqualified for federal contracts in the future.

What kind of freedom is it when you cant' treat your serfs like the scum they are?

cryingeagle.jpg

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I like this "fuck off congress" version of Obama

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I like this "fuck off congress" version of Obama

I feel like, this overwhelming feeling that America owes Obama a huge apology after how he's had to deal with congresses infantile obstructionism

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Every president eventually reaches the Fuck Off Congress stage.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    It's actually a two part order!

Admittedly the first part isn't nearly as important but I still like it a lot:
    It requires companies bidding for federal contracts worth more than $500,000 to make previous violations of labor law public, if they have any to report.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Quid wrote: »

It requires companies bidding for federal contracts worth more than $500,000 to make previous violations of labor law public, if they have any to report.
    Ow.

That is gonna piss somebody off.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Quid wrote: »

Ow.

That is gonna piss somebody off.

WUBBA HARRRRRGLB FREE MARKET JAMBAAGLR

if people didn't want to be slaves, they wouldn't do business with companies that made them slaves! capitalism!

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    “Our politics are dysfunctional,” said the president, and we should heed the terrible divisions in the Middle East as a “warning to us: societies don’t work if political factions take maximalist positions. And the more diverse the country is, the less it can afford to take maximalist positions.”

Speaking of going to piss some people off, if they're smart enough to understand what he's saying.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    I feel like Obama should "overreach" as much as he is able

Voters who aren't already drinking the kool-aid will respect that he's taking action a lot more than congress whining about him doing things he's not supposed to

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I feel like Obama should "overreach" as much as he is able

Voters who aren't already drinking the kool-aid will respect that he's taking action a lot more than congress whining about him doing things he's not supposed to
    It would also help their credibility slightly if they would refrain from suing over his use of executive power one day, and then criticize him the next for not using that same power to help with the border issue.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    what're they gonna do, sue him twice

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    No need for a second lawsuit because after the 2014 midterms they'll move to impeach him. Remember, we're talking about a party ran by media personalities and would-be inquisitors. With no real leadership they won't be able to help themselves. Impeachment is like the siren call of government shutdown, they will always be drawn to it and it will consume them.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options

Why not? Why not 10 times?

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

Why not? Why not 10 times?

oh yeah, i forgot about aca repeal

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    It really would be amusing to see two simultaneous suits for opposite things. Just have the judge pick up one in each hand and go "WTF is this shit? Get out of my court!"

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    "Barrack laughed: "There's no use trying," he said; "one can't sue for impossible things."

"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Speaker. "When I was younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've sued for as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

- Obama Through The looking Glass

V1m on
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    John Boehner ‘dismayed’ on Iraq response
    House Speaker John Boehner on Friday called U.S. airstrikes against Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant militants “appropriate,” but criticized the White House for being disengaged on the Iraq issue.

“The president’s authorization of airstrikes is appropriate,” the Ohio Republican said in a statement, “but like many Americans, I am dismayed by the ongoing absence of a strategy for countering the grave threat ISIS poses to the region,” he said, in reference to an alternative name for ISIL.

If it wasn't already clear the Republican Party line is one comprised of bullshit and nonsense, John Boehner just plainly stated he agrees with the President's course of action but the President's course of action is wrong.

Seems like Hilary is getting in on the action, also blaming Obama for an absence of overarching strategy for dealing with the threat of 'Islamist terrorism'.

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/08/hillary-clinton-failure-to-help-syrian-rebels-led-to-the-rise-of-isis/375832/

I would download a car.
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Nice of her to desperately scrabble for some approval from the voters on the right. Just like ol' Joe dribbling on about how amazing shotguns are.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Clearly she's just trying to distract from her own complicity in BENGHAZI.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Nice of her to desperately scrabble for some approval from the voters on the right. Just like ol' Joe dribbling on about how amazing shotguns are.

To be fair, Shotguns are pretty amazing.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    lazegamer wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    John Boehner ‘dismayed’ on Iraq response
    House Speaker John Boehner on Friday called U.S. airstrikes against Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant militants “appropriate,” but criticized the White House for being disengaged on the Iraq issue.

“The president’s authorization of airstrikes is appropriate,” the Ohio Republican said in a statement, “but like many Americans, I am dismayed by the ongoing absence of a strategy for countering the grave threat ISIS poses to the region,” he said, in reference to an alternative name for ISIL.

If it wasn't already clear the Republican Party line is one comprised of bullshit and nonsense, John Boehner just plainly stated he agrees with the President's course of action but the President's course of action is wrong.

Seems like Hilary is getting in on the action, also blaming Obama for an absence of overarching strategy for dealing with the threat of 'Islamist terrorism'.

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/08/hillary-clinton-failure-to-help-syrian-rebels-led-to-the-rise-of-isis/375832/

Aaaaand running from Obama is a big reason I'm not wild about Hillary in 2016

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    It still bugs me she stood on a stage with Holy Joe and decried video games. I can't say I'm a huge fan of Obama, but I damn sure that we don't need anybody trying to run even more to the center. Wherever that is now.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    It still bugs me she stood on a stage with Holy Joe and decried video games. I can't say I'm a huge fan of Obama, but I damn sure that we don't need anybody trying to run even more to the center. Wherever that is now.

That's all but guaranteed with Hillary.

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular

sue me once, shame on you.

Sue me twice, shame on me...

wait - that's not right

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    If Hilary thinks that playing to the right is going to make things better for her in 2016 then she is insane; her last name is still Clinton, she's still a democrat, the right wing spin masters hammered the holy hell out of her in 2008, and anyone who still likes Obama is going to think she's a douche canoe.

She might as well have declared elephants were her favorite animals.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I don't think she knows what the hell she's doing at this point.

Probably just trying to stay relevant while the world passes her by and she keep dipping her toe in the whirlpool.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    That said, this continues to be a summer where I'm very glad that this man is our president. Mittens would've been completely incapable of dealing with this shit.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I've seen this play before, democrats run from the sitting democrat president and a horrible president is elected.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I don't think she knows what the hell she's doing at this point.

I just think she's horrible at campaigning. She's seemed to be pretty good at actual diplomacy and running a department but every time she runs for something she does a good job of making me hate her despite her competence at actually doing stuff.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Didn't SCOTUS say video games are for sure 1st amendment protected?

I'm not too worried about Hillary regulating them

I'm more worried about things like net neutrality, which Obama is doing fuck all to protect either

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Didn't SCOTUS say video games are for sure 1st amendment protected?

There hasn't been a case about this for awhile and I don't think we're likely to get one. The video game industry labels the shit out of things, retailers actually do proof and frankly the demographics have shifted. Today's 60 year olds had kids who played games growing up. Today's 30 year olds played games growing up. They are no longer anything like the soft target they were before with no representation among the electorate.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Shit, today's 40 year olds still play fucking games!

• Options
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Shit, today's 40 year olds still play fucking games!

Sup, I'm 42.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    It's not that I'm concerned she'd be up for legislating games in some way. It's that she shared a stage with Holy fucking Joe to bitch about how games were ruining lives and causing hemlines to rise or some other Reefer Madness nonsense that had already been debunked at least a dozen times before she was told it would be a good issue to campaign on.

I'm fine with politicians licking their fingers to test where the winds are blowing. Sometimes they even catch on at the right time. Even Romney 'flip-flopping' would be fine (if he'd just own it and admit his spine is first generation social media). But her (and her husband's too, I guess) calculating choices just drive me batty. And she's still probably better than any possible 'centrist' republican.

I agree, though. Running away from Obama is simply not going to help. They don't have to embrace the guy, but whatever is wrong in politics, it isn't going to be Obama.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    If you try to move to the right of the centrist technocrat, what the fuck are you?

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Kupi wrote: »
    If you try to move to the right of the centrist technocrat, what the fuck are you?

A Blue Dog Democrat or neocon Republican.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options

A Blue Dog Democrat or Eisenhower Republican.

Pretty sure neocons are so far to the right they're approaching left from the other side.

• Options
    edited August 2014

Pretty sure neocons are so far to the right they're approaching left from the other side.

Not in the current political atmosphere. They're moderate Republicans now, thanks to the Tea Partiers pushing the Overton window into overdrive. Real moderates are practically extinct in the GOP.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular

didn't the daily show do a bit on this?

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Not in the current political atmosphere. They're moderate Republicans now, thanks to the Tea Partiers pushing the Overton window into overdrive. Real moderates are practically extinct in the GOP.

and the bulk of the Democrats are Eisenhower Republicans at this point

Hell Obama is closer the GHWB than anyone in the GOP

This discussion has been closed.