As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

3DS / Handheld game of PAX Prime 2014

2»

• BadNews65BadNews65 Data Solutions Analyst ArkansasRegistered User regular
    I went to PAX Prime for the first time last year but was only able to go for a day. Brought my 3DS with me but didn't understand the whole streetpass thing and didn't understand why so many people were on their 3ds either. Rarely played on my 3ds at the time so. After playing Bravely Default I realize why streetpass would help.

So this time I'll have my 3ds fully charged and bring Monster Hunter. Bought it 2 weeks ago and haven't played it yet.

I'd get the first 6 areas (up to 6 start quests) out of the way before bringing it to PAX, that way you can for sure do plenty of mid level multiplayer hunting. I have put about 60 hours in to MH3U and have just now scratched the surface.

• big haircutbig haircut Registered User regular
    Does it have to be 3ds? How about Hearthstone on the iPad?

• pogoplaypogoplay Writer/Blogger/Gamer Calgary, AlbertaRegistered User regular
    Does it have to be 3ds? How about Hearthstone on the iPad?
    While I love this idea, Hearthstone requires Internet to play... and internet at PAX is atrocious.

Attended: PAX Prime 2010, PAX Prime 2011, PAX Prime 2012, PAX Prime 2014.
    Attending: PAX Prime 2016
    Twitter @Pogoplay
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    cbellevie wrote: »
    I just replaced my 3DS with a 3DSXL. I have always used a Nyko Power Grip extended battery on my 3DS and have had no making it through a day of hardcore Streetpassing, but I have not see a similar extended battery solution for the XL. I am curious how often hardcore Streetpassers find they need to recharge during PAX?

Depends on what you're doing. In PAX 2012, I found myself needing to clear out my streetpasses every 30-45 minutes -- but if I hung around the handheld lounge I filled up every 5-10 minutes. I made it through a day of streetpassing and an hour or so of the lounge with a little bit of power left. Keep in mind I had a regular 3DS -- the XL has a better battery. So you should be fine unless you intend to play constantly through the day.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I have a limeade 18000mAh external battery that I plug my devices into during PAX. It easily keeps my phone and 3DS charged throughout the day. My nexus 10 tablet usually doesn't run out of charge during the day.

• XarthanXarthan Registered User regular
    Yup, i got a usb to DS charge cable and pair it up with an anker battery last year. Worked very well!

LTE seems to have worked better over the previous years when we only had 3G and it was just horrible then.

• PurpleSkyPurpleSky Registered User regular
    Although the game doesn't have any multiplayer aspect I find Ghost Trick Phantom Detective to be quite fun to play at PAX. It is a great game to play while waiting in line/ panel to start.

• cbelleviecbellevie Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I have a limeade 18000mAh external battery that I plug my devices into during PAX. It easily keeps my phone and 3DS charged throughout the day. My nexus 10 tablet usually doesn't run out of charge during the day.

Is there a usb charging cable for the 3DS/XL that you use? I have a couple of 10000mAh external batteries that I carry, but did not know I could charge that way. That would be perfect!

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah a few companies make them. The 3ds can take the 5V from the USB as an input, even though it's not the nominal voltage.

zerzhul wrote: »
    Yeah a few companies make them. The 3ds can take the 5V from the USB as an input, even though it's not the nominal voltage.

Thanks zerzhul and Xarthan for mentioning this! I have a cable on the way!

• AndtercelAndtercel Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Bringing my only handheld. My original gameboy from my middle school years when it was brand new. I will have my connector cord though for some Tetris or world cup 94 if anyone is interested.

Andtercel on
  • giantrygiantry Registered User regular
    After 2 days of tomodachi life I can say that it's great. Can't wait to see other peoples islands xD

• PDX PaulPDX Paul Portland ORRegistered User regular
    Get Spaceteam!!

Climb to the top of the world. And as you stand tall, you will see...
    That when you fall... You will fall from a height most men will never reach.
  • Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    I swear, I may get a bloody android or ipod touch just for the games. I miss Spaceteam on my windows phone....

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    So for the record, Dragon's Crown is free on PS+ for August, so make sure you other 2 Vita owners out there download it for Prime!

• spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I'm bringing Tomodachi Life, Mario Kart 7, Link Between Worlds, Theatrythm, Mario Golf, and a few others. I'm mainly looking to finish off all these puzzles.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • pogoplaypogoplay Writer/Blogger/Gamer Calgary, AlbertaRegistered User regular
    I'm probably just going to bring Pokemon X to PAX this year... I'll be more focused on the street pass activities.

Attended: PAX Prime 2010, PAX Prime 2011, PAX Prime 2012, PAX Prime 2014.
    Attending: PAX Prime 2016
    Twitter @Pogoplay
  • nil8rnil8r SeattleRegistered User regular
    I'll be there once again with my 3DS and games including Bravely Default, Pokemon X, ACNL, MC7, street pass games and so forth.

--Mel

signature.png
  • jukkakhanjukkakhan Registered User regular
    Aside from puzzle piece collecting, I'll be bringing along Pokemon Y. I haven't started Bravely Default yet, but it looks like one of the streetpass functions for it is gaining villagers to rebuild a town. I take it this would be a good time to get a jump start on it?

PimDtoK.png
  • soozerellasoozerella Registered User regular
    Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright drops for North America on 8/29, so I'm definitely going to be playing that. Been waiting for this game for years...

PAX Prime attendee: '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, and soon to be '16
    So for the record, Dragon's Crown is free on PS+ for August, so make sure you other 2 Vita owners out there download it for Prime!

Started playing this last night. Bringing Vita, although think my son would only let me play this if we were hanging out at the handheld lounge.

• SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    soozerella wrote: »
    Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright drops for North America on 8/29, so I'm definitely going to be playing that. Been waiting for this game for years...

My Amazon pre-order will arrive to an empty house. Will play it after Pax :)

I will be bringing Kirby 3DS (need more key chains!), Tomodachi life and the StreetPass games. I've played Animal Crossing for 1 year then stopped. I'm afraid all my long time townsfolk have probably moved away so I won't be picking it back anymore.

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
    There are some good downloadable titles for the 3DS that will be fun to play at PAX. Shovel Knight is an obvious one, it has gotten good reviews. Another one that I like that is Crimson Shroud. Of course there's VVVVVV too :)

Shovel Knight is fantastic. It seems like half the indies out there are trying to make fake old NES games, but Shovel Knight is the one that nailed what we loved about NES games better than everyone else -- and then they improved on it. Plus it's got some Streetpass features.

• vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    SinoSamba wrote: »

I will be bringing Kirby 3DS (need more key chains!), Tomodachi life and the StreetPass games. I've played Animal Crossing for 1 year then stopped. I'm afraid all my long time townsfolk have probably moved away so I won't be picking it back anymore.

Your townsfolk (most of 'em, anyway) would still be there but you'd have TONS of weeds and those little critters would give you a ration of crap for leaving them so long (to go on vacation or train or just because you don't like them anymore). I've stopped playing for a few months one time and that's what I came back to. I'm crazy because I kind of liked picking all those weeds even though it's my least favorite IRL.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• NuurgleNuurgle Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    I hope to find lots of Shovel Knight players! I've only found 2 out in the wild so far, and I love the little async arena fights so much!

• BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Shovel Knight is fantastic. It seems like half the indies out there are trying to make fake old NES games, but Shovel Knight is the one that nailed what we loved about NES games better than everyone else -- and then they improved on it. Plus it's got some Streetpass features.

Wait, what? Shovel Knight is on 3DS?! I wanted to play, but didn't want to on my PC. This may have just made my PAX...

Edit: @PurpleSky‌ made the suggestion first, but I totally didn't see it... Credit where credit is due.
    Xoxo

BouwsT on
    Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
    Nuurgle wrote: »
    I hope to find lots of Shovel Knight players! I've only found 2 out in the wild so far, and I love the little async arena fights so much!

I didn't even think about Shovel Knight! Have not tried that yet and now can't wait.

• ScootsScoots HandHeld Lounge Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    I'll definitely have ACNL and might have MK7 with me. And of course I'll be playing everyone's PAX favorite, "Forever Pressing R".

I think my R button broke cause of Streetpass games, it's being really unresponsive. However, I DID notice something on the streetpass options, the "Skip introduction" option, so we'll see how that works.

HLRpxno.png
    edited August 2014
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    I think my R button broke cause of Streetpass games, it's being really unresponsive. However, I DID notice something on the streetpass options, the "Skip introduction" option, so we'll see how that works.

Temporary fix: put the R button in your mouth and blow, making sure the air flows under it.

I know it sounds odd and you'll definitely look strange doing it, but it works, at least in my case. Though it might only work for about five minutes or so. In that case, it's time to blow again.

cloudeagle on
    I'm saving Shovel Knight specifically for PAX. I've only played the first stage and the rest is for PAX ha ha :)

• 8bitBass8bitBass Seattle Registered User new member
    The 3DS and DS have been the best part of PAX over the years for me. From picto chat to a pick up game of Mario kart with people ANYWHERE ANYTIME at PAX. I love the handheld lounge and played tons of Dragon Quest IX with the fan group as well as some people from Nintendo. (Metal King Slime Street PASS MAP!)

Anyhow I will use my 3DS mostly to collect 3D pieces and play find mii lol.

PAX Prime 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, Exhibitor 2014!!
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    I am going to try to resist the temptation to sit in the handheld lounge all day.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
    Yes, I need more panels! Hopefully I can get close this year.

I'm on Nintendo's email blast list, and they announced there will be a dedicated Pokemon area at their booth where they're encouraging people to battle and trade.

• SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I'm on Nintendo's email blast list, and they announced there will be a dedicated Pokemon area at their booth where they're encouraging people to battle and trade.

Oh, nice. Wonder if they will sell Poke-swag in the dedicated area. I'd buy tons of plushies.

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239

Do you have the webpage to get on the blast?

I guess this means i should work on my X

Dragon6860 wrote: »

Temporary fix: put the R button in your mouth and blow, making sure the air flows under it.

I know it sounds odd and you'll definitely look strange doing it, but it works, at least in my case. Though it might only work for about five minutes or so. In that case, it's time to blow again.

Holy crap, that worked. I'll be honest, I didn't think it'd actually happen. And Now I'm trying to not think of where that corner of my Game Boy has actually BEEN....

HLRpxno.png
  • vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    Blowing on things is an old Nintendo trick... ;)

ufq9gj8383nh.png