As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Robin Williams dies at the age of 63

GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
edited August 2014 in Debate and/or Discourse
1951-2014

GoodWillHunting_Williams.jpg

RIP.

Glyph on

• DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    Just saw this on Variety. There's speculation that it may have been a suicide. He did seem like he might have a manic personality.

*Sigh* This has been a bad year for losing comedic geniuses.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Damn. One of the best.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Dalboz wrote: »
    J*Sigh* This has been a bad year.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    This is sad.

Man was a huge part of my life growing up through his movies. Probably for anyone who grew up in the 1990's. It is always a shame to lose someone like this.

<3 Robin, rest in peace mate.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Nanu Nanu

• KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Mork and Mindy reruns made me the man I was today.

Always sad to see someone die who was such a force in our popular culture for so long

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Man had some demons. Some major demons.

I'm very greatful for the memories and good times his comedy and movies has brought to my life, I just wish it could have done the same for him.

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    God bless him wherever he is.

Big part of my childhood, great actor, not bad at comedy, he will be missed.

488W936.png
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Man, you know you're getting old when, instead of asking your parents who that famous person who just died was, you're explaining to kids who that famous person who just died was. Culture shift is incredible.

An amazing actor and comedian who still had it, and the world is less funny now without him. We certainly could have used more laughter these days.

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    original.jpg?w=600&h

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I always wish that Veevee, but in the end people wrestle with their own demons.

Man was a huge influence on my life. He taught me it's alright to be hyperexciteable. He taught me that the behaviours that result from my ADHD aren't all bad. That I can enjoy the good parts. He didn't have ADHD himself, but that didn't matter. It wasn't the condition that was the problem. It was my delight in jumping about and chattering off wisecracks or jokes at a million miles an hour. It's a natural state for me.

He did that too, for his owns reasons, only infinitely better and wiser.

He was my hero.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I was playing Aladdin on the Genesis when I heard the news, which was a bit surreal.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Hope he finds that painted world:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmZ-FuBThuQ

I'm just stunned. So sad. :(

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    RIP Robin :(

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    My father messaged me about his death.

I don't think he's ever done that about anyone. Wow.

• Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    Oh captain, my captain.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    Is it possible if we all clap hard enough he'll come back to life? We just gotta believe, right?

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Unbelievable...

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    I don't normally get upset about celebrity deaths... but this one hurts. it really does. The man was a big part of my childhood and an amazing entertainer.

The world just got a little bit darker.

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    holy crap, holy holy crap.

This one I did not expect. fuck.

This is a loss without comparison.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Oakey wrote: »
    Is it possible if we all clap hard enough he'll come back to life? We just gotta believe, right?

That'd be Julia Roberts. Pan the man isn't a fairy

Veevee on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I don't think I've ever seen a death roll across my facebook wall so instantaneously. I also dont think I've ever audibly gasped while reading that a celebrity died.

This sucks.

I've never really cried over a celebrity death before today.

There's been a few that made me real sad but I just sort of burst into tears with this one.

edited August 2014
    Well I sure did not expect to go off and have a cry in the kitchen after writing all that.

I already miss everything he will never do and say and make and joy.

Morninglord on
  • ElinElin Registered User regular
    I'm having a really hard time processing that he's gone honestly.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
    2000: Charles M. Schulz
    2001: Douglas Adams
    2005: Hunter S. Thompson
    2007: Kurt Vonnegut
    2008: George Carlin
    2014: Robin Williams

This one hurts the most.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Dr Drew on CNN tries to start a conversation about the state of mental health stigma and the host immediately throws to another correspondent just doing a fluff piece before commercial break. Stand by dr Drew is all they can say.

RIP Robin.

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    This didn't shock me in the way some other deaths would, nor am I surprised that my first thought was "Heart attack or suicide".

Tons of comedians seem to suffer from depression and besides leading to substance abuse as a killer its something that most people that have it will suffer with it his entire life.

We gotta learn how to fix peoples brains =\

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
    RedTide wrote: »
    This didn't shock me in the way some other deaths would, nor am I surprised that my first thought was "Heart attack or suicide".

Tons of comedians seem to suffer from depression and besides leading to substance abuse as a killer its something that most people that have it will suffer with it his entire life.

The problem is not in their brains.

The problem is reality.

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    My wife's father looks almost exactly like Robin Williams, and they both share a deep love of his movies.

She has always maintained that she would probably break down into tears when Robin finally passes

She is handling it surprisingly well, but I don't think the news has sunk in yet.

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    RedTide wrote: »

The problem is not in their brains.

The problem is reality.

Reality can make people shitty, apathetic, pedantic, whatever.

It can make you feel down in the shitter on the daily.

"Depression" is a bit different of a beast.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Really sad to hear about this one. He's one of the few actors or comedians that I would actually want to approach on the street and gush over.

• DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Damn, he was fantastic. I loved the Genie in Aladdin when I was a kid, I loved watching his stand-up when I got older, and I loved his more dramatic stuff like Good Morning Vietnam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99Op1TaXmCw

:'(

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Mikey CTS wrote: »
    Oh captain, my captain.

"So avoid using the word 'very' because it’s lazy. A man is not very tired, he is exhausted. Don't use very sad, use morose. Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women - and, in that endeavor, laziness will not do. It also won't do in your essays."

Dead Poet's Society changed my view on language and Man of the Year is one of my favorite movies. Aladdin was the first movie I saw in theater. I'm broken hearted about this. Especially considering how Dead Poet's Society and World's Greatest Dad both dealt with suicide.

• GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    I literally watched live on broadway last night. My all time favorite comedian. So stunned and sad by this news.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Having just now checked the internet for the first time post-work, I'm still in the "holy fucking shit" shocked stage. Douglas Adams will still probably hurt more for me, but still, wow.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Buy8mshIAAA3sHS.jpg:large

Williams wasn't just a great comedian, he was an awesome dude.

Ugh, this is terrible.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I take a nap, wake up, and this happens. Geeze. I thought this guy was all squared away with this TV show. Totally blind sided.

Krathoon on
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014