As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Monday, August 11, 2014 - Chest Slot

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited August 2014 in The Penny Arcade Hub

image[PA Comic] Monday, August 11, 2014 - Chest Slot

Chest Slot

Chest Slot

http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2014/08/11

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    I like this, but I thought it would be a 'the talk' post; I wonder if I misunderstood or if that is coming on Wed?

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I, for one, welcome our new pop-culture-blending overlords. Every merch is now a cultural literacy quiz! :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I actually like that Logical Me shirt.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    This reminds me of a few weeks ago when I saw a shirt that said "live long and prosper," only instead of Spock it had Sheldon from BBT. Ugh.

UUUUUGH.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I'm sure mashup merch goes back a LONG time, though. When all those Italian artists put greek gods and myths into their paintings, murals, and sculptures during the Renaissance, I'm sure they were doing it ironically. :D

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    VirtualVioletVirtualViolet Registered User regular
    Tee Turtle has a lot of geeky mash-up shirts that are cute as fuck. One of my favorites is a Pokémon and DBZ mash-up called "Mewsion."

• Options
    GravebornGraveborn Registered User regular
    Oh the irony... PA pointing fingers at other peoples merch, saying how low brow it is, while they have a whole part of the site devoted to selling small pieces of colored metal for 15$ a piece (or 4 for 40$! ... what a bargain). They even seem to have lost the irony that this section is called Pinny Arcade... not far from the Pander Arcade outlined in the comic. Truly bad taste and cringe-worthy.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Graveborn wrote: »
    Oh the irony... PA pointing fingers at other peoples merch, saying how low brow it is, while they have a whole part of the site devoted to selling small pieces of colored metal for 15$ a piece (or 4 for 40$! ... what a bargain). They even seem to have lost the irony that this section is called Pinny Arcade... not far from the Pander Arcade outlined in the comic. Truly bad taste and cringe-worthy.

thats

the

joooooooooke

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular

Yeah, what a bunch of assholes these guys are for making something a ton of people seem to like. And to make things even worse, it's easily ignorable for the people who don't like it. Well I never.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

thats

the

joooooooooke

The whoooosh blew me right out of my chair

help me up please

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    There's no real need to react to a post like that is there?

• Options
    LinktmLinktm Registered User regular
    Something tells me Graveborn took this post a little too personally. That being said... Penny Arcade is no stranger to this. Sometimes a mashup is great, other times it's poorly thought out.

I could see how some designers/artists would take offense to this comic though.

• Options
    Also, I'm calling it right now, one of those mocked t-shirts on the right WILL be in the Penny Arcade store before the end of the month.

• Options
    Lizard DudeLizard Dude Registered User new member
    What became of The Talk, by Tycho Brahe?

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular

It's a 200 page novel due out in early march 2015.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    This is like 50% of what's aggregated on DayOfTheShirt every day.

• Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular

It's a 200 page novel due out in early march 2015.

Apparently 200 pages is just the story. There's another 150 pages of notes, genealogies, maps, and a translation guide.

• Options
    Hargaad of OmnarHargaad of Omnar New Badges? Fucking BOSS!Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Tube wrote: »
    There's no real need to react to a post like that is there?

Lamenting is fine; aggression is not. Sarcasm is that gray area between.

I can agree with the lamenting, because we all know the existing irony of what they critique and what they do. I feel the previous comment was meant more as a "I didn't think it needed to be stated out loud" than a slam of hypocrisy.
    Heaven forbid a person to have an opinion on the interwebz.

Edit:
    Though, I do understand there is a concrete set of rules laid out by Tube that, if not adhered to, will result in reprimanding. So, sometimes opinions will not find their welcome in certain places on this forum.

Hargaad of Omnar on
    Star Wars (2 separate links)
    Yelling at butts will never NOT be funny. Thanks, Psy!
    Also, Abby is awesome. Keep up with TLH because it's the tits!

I love League of Legends, but seriously...screw you, Teemo.
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Given how litigious most of the US is it's surprising lawyers don't salivate whenever a new convention rolls into town

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Remember when Joel Watson got mad about someone "ripping off" his Doctor Who/Peanuts shirt? These are lawsuits I'd like to see played out in the future.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    So am I a terrible person for actually liking stuff like this? :

Fe1cT4a.png

• Options
    Zilla360 wrote: »

Fe1cT4a.png

That one is borderline because there is at least the connection of both franchises featuring time travel.

• Options
    BahamutEosBahamutEos Registered User regular
    Yeah what happened to the last "the talk" comic. I've been looking forward to Tycho's take, kind of hoping he was draw it too. http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/04/18 is a personal favorite of mine, although I wouldn't like it all the time.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    this comic speaks to me

just mashing two pop culture references together on a shirt is super lazy

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The Logical Me shirt is real.

It is a real shirt that people buy.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    The Logical Me shirt is real.

It is a real shirt that people buy.

How...illogical.

• Options
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Zilla360 wrote: »

Fe1cT4a.png

That one is borderline because there is at least the connection of both franchises featuring time travel.

Then in order of increasingly abhorrent stupidity there's this:

aint-afraid-of-no-demons-detail_15872_cached_thumb_-50ac5a62e8cecdbaefbf9be229c742d8.jpg

And this...

b-mco-come-along_-carl.png

And this...

1407036611.png

(And all these examples are literally just from what dayoftheshirt.com has listed today, I didn't even need to go looking for terrible ones.)

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    sarek012.jpg

"Spock, I am your father."

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Okay, that last one, I was about to say "but the show already has an Indiana Jones parody!"

And then I looked more closely. It was worse than I thought.

• Options
    LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Gaslight wrote: »
    And this...

1407036611.png

(And all these examples are literally just from what dayoftheshirt.com has listed today, I didn't even need to go looking for terrible ones.)

This one really chaps my hide, because they had a real opportunity with Lil Sebastian, and they just couldn't quite figure it out.

Lowlander on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    reswrightreswright Registered User new member
    Hi. My name's Candy. "OF COURSE YOU ARE"

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    The more of these kinds of shirts I've been seeing, the more I've been feeling this way. Sure take a couple of similar themes and whiz them together in a blender, that's fine, but it just feels like ridiculous escalation that relies on so much user-submitted content, so everyone's just slamming together whatever two pop-culture references in the hope that it sells. And as for how any of these outlets aren't getting shut all the way down for IP infringement, I just don't know.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    @Lowlander, I was going to defend the Pawnee shirt, but yeah... you're right. Missed opportunities.

As for the Up one, it's just part of a much crazy larger Disney Who series the person has been working on. They sell EXTREMELY well, and they're all drawn pretty well. This one in particular though seems vastly different from the theme, and isn't one of her better works (although that's also because I'm tired of the Tumblr-esque beaten over the head with feels from the intro of the movie gif-sets and what not.)

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    When I saw the title of the comic was "Chest Slot", my first thought was, "Huh, the sex talk comics just keep getting weirder."

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    I'm sure mashup merch goes back a LONG time, though.

Yeah, this is nothing new, it's just one of those things the internet has made easier to produce and disseminate.

DjZhV1F.jpg

This piece of crap is from 1986.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    They went the Fantasy + Leonard Nimoy route and didn't choose hobbits?

Talk about your missed opportunities.

• Options
    BahamutEosBahamutEos Registered User regular
    I own a shirt with this on it. I guess I'm off to jail.

bkq7x40nuk13.jpeg

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    BahamutEos wrote: »
    I own a shirt with this on it. I guess I'm off to jail.

You're on the death row, no less.

• Options
    blimpslapblimpslap Registered User new member
    edited August 2014
    Thank you, Mike and Jerry! I used to make t-shirts for the internet so this comic feels like it was written for me personally. No joke, my friends and I even made a card game about this exact topic like a year ago that we still play occasionally. For anyone else who wants to hate themselves and hate the world, you can print and play the whole thing from here: gfygame.com/

I make no money off this so it's not an ad or anything. Also, some of the cards may be a bit dated considering 100% of these shirts just rely on nothing but doubling down on pop culture references.

This is just about the only time this been relevant to bring up in conversation.

blimpslap on
  • Options
    The Word of BirdThe Word of Bird Might be in a dreamland....Registered User regular
    So I can't make a shirt entitled "Teenage Mutant Ninja Squirtles"? Though I bet people would just think they're super-deformed main TMNT cast anyway.....

Gaming since 1986.
    Things I need to learn: To properly knit, speak Klingon, and speak/read Japanese so I can play Final Fantasy games in their original language.
    "S.o.o.n." : "'Severe Obligation to Observe' Neurosis". This Neurosis impels the subject to constantly observe an object, waiting for a change they are certain must come "Soon".
    Hotel [x] Pax Badgers Fri [x] Sat [ ] Sun [x] Mon [x] Just need 2 Saturdays, and then our sets will be complete! And then...waiting for Pax.....F5F5F5F5F5F5F5....