As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Robin Williams dies at the age of 63

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I take a nap, wake up, and this happens. Geeze. I thought this guy was all squared away with this TV show. Totally blind sided.

It got cancelled.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I take a nap, wake up, and this happens. Geeze. I thought this guy was all squared away with this TV show. Totally blind sided.

It got cancelled.

Well, that probably was a factor. We will see how things unfold.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    I've never really cried over a celebrity death before today.

There's been a few that made me real sad but I just sort of burst into tears with this one.

Twice in one year for me. First H.R. Giger and now Robin Williams.

It's especially painful if it is a suicide. It's a stark reminder that depression is an illness that can get anyone eventually, no matter how successful their life or career.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    It's a stark reminder that -I- have depression too.

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    the fucking big blue monster got another one

• HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    I grew up in the 90s, so Robin Williams was a huge figure in my formative years.

I loved Patch Adams as a child. Really sad to see that perhaps the character in the story and the actor who played him were not so far apart.

:(

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I'm going to pour one out when I get the Wii U Zelda.

• BubbyBubby Registered User regular

It got cancelled.

Well, that probably was a factor. We will see how things unfold.

I don't think it was a factor at all. His career was fine, he could do anything he wanted pretty much. The problems were way deeper than that.

I'm thinking he relapsed and it was bad.

If you're an addict and you've managed to basically fight off your disease for that long and then you relapse.

it's not pretty when it happens

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    So, since we opened that door...when Hunter S. Thompson killed himself, I went back and watched interviews, read his letters, and tried to understand them all from the perspective of "He is going to kill himself." With Hunter, I could tell that story pretty easily. The despondent hopeful idealist stuck in a reality that hardly conforms to his character. He seemed to always be struggling, and eventually just gave up the struggle.

But with Robin Williams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw9Evwb1vtQ

It's...worse. He injected so much energy into his performances. You watch them and start to think about what was under that gusto, the foundation for all that outlandish enthusiasm.

I just keep thinking, "He was faking it, too."

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Damnit, nooo :(

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    So, since we opened that door...when Hunter S. Thompson killed himself, I went back and watched interviews, read his letters, and tried to understand them all from the perspective of "He is going to kill himself." With Hunter, I could tell that story pretty easily. The despondent hopeful idealist stuck in a reality that hardly conforms to his character. He seemed to always be struggling, and eventually just gave up the struggle.

But with Robin Williams

It's...worse. He injected so much energy into his performances. You watch them and start to think about what was under that gusto, the foundation for all that outlandish enthusiasm.

Bull. Shit.

He was bipolar. He was manic. He had such glorious highs (some natural, some chemically fueled), and perilous lows.

I can relate to this very closely.

That man is not faking it... he is riding a massive wave of energy and creativity and awesomeness that crashes into the rocks of absolute despair.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    Third comedian my wife loved passing this year (John Pinette and Tim Wilson both who we met on the Lewis Black Comedy show and got extended time with) and now Robin Williams. Tough night here.

I still think the hardest for us (Other than John Pinette which is different since we actually met him) was John Candy. There was something just surreal about that.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Farewell, Mr. Williams. A captain, a man who brought such light to my life when I was in a dark place, often by talking about some dark places of his own.

This loss hurts, and the world is a worse off place. But that's selfish.

I hope he has found the peace he sought.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    syndalis wrote: »
    _J_ wrote: »

But with Robin Williams

Bull. Shit.

He was bipolar. He was manic. He had such glorious highs (some natural, some chemically fueled), and perilous lows.

I can relate to this very closely.

That man is not faking it... he is riding a massive wave of energy and creativity and awesomeness that crashes into the rocks of absolute despair.

Yeah. It is like he kept having these behavior spikes and got too old to handle them. He needed to put some routines in place to protect himself. Still, this is looking at it from the outside. I don't know the guy.

Krathoon on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I was going to list the movies that he made absolutely fantastic, but then I realized I'd have to type them all out. This one hurts.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    Had missed media all day today and suddenly my girlfriend just told me.

Feels like someone scooped out my heart and just poured some bleakness in there.

Not him. Just, not him.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Hilarious and tormented man, he was also an avid gamer. Here is his Reddit AMA http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1n41x1/robin_williams_its_time_for_a_convoluted_stream/

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I take a nap, wake up, and this happens.

It's not your fault.

• JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    My favorite thing about Robin Williams was his friendship with Christopher Reeves.
    Wiki wrote:
    Reeve went through inner anguish in the ICU, particularly when he was alone during the night. His approaching operation to reattach his skull to his spine (June 1995) "was frightening to contemplate. ... I already knew that I had only a fifty-fifty chance of surviving the surgery. ... Then, at an especially bleak moment, the door flew open and in hurried a squat fellow with a blue scrub hat and a yellow surgical gown and glasses, speaking in a Russian accent." The man announced that he was a proctologist and was going to perform a rectal exam on Reeve. It was Robin Williams, reprising his character from the film Nine Months. Reeve wrote: "For the first time since the accident, I laughed. My old friend had helped me know that somehow I was going to be okay."[61]

I just hope I can be a fraction as awesome as he was.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    This is just awful...

Just infinite sadness.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I also woke up to this

tragic. goddamn drugs and depression, I don't know of a worse trap to be in

I can't imagine how bad you have to feel for it to overshadow all the good he had to know he has done, all the happiness he's brought to people. but I know he felt it and that makes this even more painful. so sad.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    This really sucks. I liked Robin Williams a lot as an actor and a person.

I hope his family will be alright

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    to quote Rorschach
    I heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed, life is harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in threatening world. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. The great clown Pagliacci is in town. Go see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears."But doctor" He says, "I am Pagliacci."

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • ElinElin Registered User regular
    When this comic was posted I showed it to my husband because I was never able to articulate what was in my head. It's what I thought of when I saw the manner of Robin's death. Depression is insidious, it doesn't show any physical wounds and it's hard for people to understand what's going on in your head.
    http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2011/10/adventures-in-depression.html?m=1

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
    Robin and I were great friends, suffering from the same little-known disease: depression. I never could have expected this ending to his life and to ours with him. God bless him and God bless us all for his LIFE! I cannot believe this. I am overwhelmed with grief. What a wonderful man/boy and what a tremendous talent in the most important art of any time — comedy! I loved him.

• ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I never liked The Dead Poet's Society. But Jumanji? Aladdin?

Those were my childhood. I don't even know how many times I watched my vhs of Aladdin. Hell, I think I left it out so much my dog chewed on the clamshell case.

For anyone who wants to check it out, An Evening with Robin Williams, his 1982 comedy special is on YouTube. I'm not sure about the forum policy for that kind of thing is, or I'd post a link.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    I remember being at my grandfather's house once. Some family was visiting, and my cousins had brought their daughter who must have been about 2 or 3. She was playing around with the VHS and stuck in Aladdin. Instead of stopping the movie and telling her not to play around with the electronics, every single person in the room shut up and watched Aladdin long after the 2 year old lost interest.

Honestly... I don't even think it's really set in yet. I mean Robin Williams, he's a fucking legend, he's one of those guys who's going to be around forever.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    This sucks.

Even taking away all his amazing movies that I watched through my childhood, Robin Williams just seemed like such a good guy. I been reading through Twitter and so many people have been sharing small stories of how he personally touched them.

And then there's his AMA or his commercials with Nintendo that made him seem so relatable.

• notdroidnotdroid Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I'll be honest. More often than not, I'll hear about celebrity deaths, and simply brush them off with indifference, mostly because I've only got to know them at a later time when their career was all but over.

Not this one. This one got to me. Aladdin, Jumanji, Mrs. Doubtfire, Captain Hook. I feel like part of my childhood just died along with him.

notdroid on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Elin wrote: »
    When this comic was posted I showed it to my husband because I was never able to articulate what was in my head. It's what I thought of when I saw the manner of Robin's death. Depression is insidious, it doesn't show any physical wounds and it's hard for people to understand what's going on in your head.
    http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2011/10/adventures-in-depression.html?m=1

Even for the people that live with you on a daily basis, understanding depression can be impossible for them to understand or comprehend.

It can truly be a terrible, lonely and highly insidious battle against an enemy that cannot be defeated.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    I forgot there was a new Night at the Museum coming out.

Heath Ledger was hard enough.

Robin Williams was an airman, a doctor, a genie, a nanny, a president, a professor, a bangarang Peter Pan, and everything in between. But he was one of a kind. He arrived in our lives as an alien -- but he ended up touching every element of the human spirit. He made us laugh. He made us cry. He gave his immeasurable talent freely and generously to those who needed it most -- from our troops stationed abroad to the marginalized on our own streets.