As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Robin Williams dies at the age of 63

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    This is just the worst fucking news I have heard in the longest time.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Damn it. Rest in peace my friend

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I didn't think I'd ever be hit harder by the death of somebody I'd never met than when I heard about Ryan Davis. Then today happened.

Tomorrow I'm going to do a marathon of all the Robin Williams films I've been meaning to see but haven't ever gotten around to. Death to Smoochy, Dead Poet's Society, One Hour Photo, Fisher King, probably several others I'm forgetting.

If anyone is planning to do the same thing and hasn't seen Insomnia, that's my recommendation, he's really good in that.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    2000: Charles M. Schulz
    2001: Douglas Adams
    2005: Hunter S. Thompson
    2007: Kurt Vonnegut
    2008: George Carlin
    2014: Robin Williams

This one hurts the most.

For me Carlin is probably the one celeb death that hit me the most. It seems like any time there is any aspect of US society under discussion, a quick youtube search gets you a video of him doing a routine maybe 20 years old that is both incredibly funny and terrifyingly accurate.

I got the chance to see him in person in 05, and every time I have cause to think of something he said I am immensely grateful that I went to that show.

I make more of an effort to go see entertainers that mean something to me because when ever I see one of these celebrity deaths I think about how fortunate I was to see him, and don't want 'I didn't feel like spending $20', 'I'll see them next tour', or 'I would rather just stay in and play video games' to be the reason I will look back and go "I never got to see them, and now I never will"

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular

This one hurts the most.

For me Carlin is probably the one celeb death that hit me the most. It seems like any time there is any aspect of US society under discussion, a quick youtube search gets you a video of him doing a routine maybe 20 years old that is both incredibly funny and terrifyingly accurate.

I got the chance to see him in person in 05, and every time I have cause to think of something he said I am immensely grateful that I went to that show.

I make more of an effort to go see entertainers that mean something to me because when ever I see one of these celebrity deaths I think about how fortunate I was to see him, and don't want 'I didn't feel like spending $20', 'I'll see them next tour', or 'I would rather just stay in and play video games' to be the reason I will look back and go "I never got to see them, and now I never will"

I got to see him around the same time, and I totally agree, I remember that night vividly just because I was so lucky to see him live once, in my hometown no less. I kinda felt a special kinship with Carlin because his comedy 100% reflected my "edgy" views in highschool, and we share the same birthday.

People, if there's an entertainer you deeply enjoy, make an effort to see them live at least once. You will never regret you did.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Raiden333 wrote: »

This one hurts the most.

I got to see him around the same time, and I totally agree, I remember that night vividly just because I was so lucky to see him live once, in my hometown no less. I kinda felt a special kinship with Carlin because his comedy 100% reflected my "edgy" views in highschool, and we share the same birthday.

People, if there's an entertainer you deeply enjoy, make an effort to see them live at least once. You will never regret you did.

This is a good description of why I've never been a fan of Carlin. :lol:

shryke on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I have cried entirely too many times about this

No one else is allowed to die anymore

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Robin Williams' Death Reveals How Hard It Can Be To Climb Out Of Depression

I don't want to use the rhetoric of "Silver Lining", because I dislike the sentiment of good things coming from bad.

That being said, I am glad some news outlets are producing articles such as this, rather than digging into his personal life.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Taking this one personally. Robin was the poster child of ADHD. He reflected all the good and all the bad that comes with it. I could always say that he owned it, he conquered it, he made it. He took it and made people's lives better through it.

RIP Robin Williams. I'll miss you, even if I never met you.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    CapekCapek Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    It's a stark reminder that -I- have depression too.
    Trace wrote: »
    the fucking big blue monster got another one

Into the jaws of the black dogs.

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past. - Fitzgerald
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    It always hits you in the weirdest way.

I have been bummed about this, obviously. And sad.

I just saw the Zelda Williams tweet, and clicked it.

I thought, I'll follow her now. I bet she will have some nice things to say that I'd like to see. And in a way it's this virtual hug. I'm here and listening.

So I click follow.

Drop down menu appears.

"You would also like...

ROBIN WILLIAMS."

And his picture, just smiling, sitting there. Like of course the backend code in some twitter server somewhere doesn't know.

But that's when it hit me, right now, and I got teary eyed.

When the computer thought it was cleverly getting me a new friend, and had no idea it was too late - with that frozen, preserved, perfect image of an amazing man just smiling at me.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    I dunno why, but I think my favorite line of Robin Williams' was from Aladdin when Aladdin tricks Genie into getting them out of the Cave of Wonders before it collapses on top of them.

"Alright, you baaaaaaad boy, but no more freebies."

Can't find a clip of that exact part though.

[ed] I can find it in friggin' Romanian though. I... just... how...

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular

Better times - One of my favorite Late Night interviews with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv9V7O7wZvY

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Damn it. It's not just that he's dead it's the way he died.

I hate hearing about people losing the fight against depression.

I will miss you Mrs Doubtfire

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    God damnit, I've been processing this since last night, but Zelda's tweet just broke whatever dams I had left up.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    "Mork calling Orson, come in Orson"

What sucky news. A fantastic actor and comedian. R.I.P.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    It is times like this I wish I wasn't a real adult with a job, and responsibilities because I really want to just go back in the time machine, smoke some weed and watch Jumanji.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I am a huge fan of comedy, and, for those of you that know me, I tend to run off at the mouth and go on weird tangents sometimes. It was that manic spirit in Robin Williams that I adored. Carlin was the master of the rant, but Williams was the master of taking a spec of dust of a topic and rambling on about it in the most hilarious way. His personality was almost too huge to reign in, but when a director managed to do it, Jesus Christ. I am rarely affected by celebrity deaths. I also battle depression, and while I am not suicidal, I have spent plenty of my own time staring into and sitting in that black pit of despair. I am sad that Robin lost his fight. I am also encouraged in a strange way. No matter how successful you are, no matter who you are, depression will bring you to your knees. This is a man that seemingly had everything, and he still lost his fight with the demons. I mourn him and I choose to take that grief and resolve to fight and help others fight those demons. You are not bigger than depression. Robin's battle makes that crystal clear.

I'm sorry Robin, I'll do my best to help others beat what you couldn't.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    I have for a long time been considering starting a thread on Depression and Addiction. Even asked if I could start a smurf account to do so. Maybe this is the impetus I need to do it, so ashamed was I to attach a potential stigma to my name on a forum full of people I've never met. or I would if I wasn't so fucking sad about this.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    Also not confident I could write an OP to do the topic justice.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Usually I don't post in these kinds of threads. At the end of the day, when someone famous dies, I usually feel ambivalent about it because I didn't know them personally. I might have appreciated their work and skill, but still, they were just some face that I never personally knew.

Which is why I'm so shocked that I'm this upset that Robin Williams has passed. Yes he was a good actor, both in his manic roles, his family-friendly (I love Hook) roles, and his serious ones. But more than that, he seemed like a genuinely kind, gentle, and compassionate man. He expended countless hours to charity and volunteer work, and for that I am truly saddened to hear he is gone.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Goddammit. I've been just as shocked and saddened by this as everyone else, but it didn't really hit me until that Kelsey Fleshman tweet. I feel like an asshole, sitting at my desk at work with my eyes tearing up.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I shouldn't be reading this thread at work while I'm on the phone - my voice keeps cracking.

Edit: also because I should be doing work instead of goofing off on the forums, but it's what every Robin Williams character would have wanted

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    The scary part is the more I think about it, the more I see myself in Robin Williams. Everyone thinks of me as kind, compassionate, always laughing, enjoying myself. But my demons run deep; my self doubt is insane, I'm a perfectionist, and I'm on anti-depressants. I've truthfully told my counselors that the only reason I haven't seriously contemplated suicide is because of a very strong fear/obsession with death.

I don't want to go down this path...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Heir wrote: »
    Usually I don't post in these kinds of threads. At the end of the day, when someone famous dies, I usually feel ambivalent about it because I didn't know them personally. I might have appreciated their work and skill, but still, they were just some face that I never personally knew.

Which is why I'm so shocked that I'm this upset that Robin Williams has passed. Yes he was a good actor, both in his manic roles, his family-friendly (I love Hook) roles, and his serious ones. But more than that, he seemed like a genuinely kind, gentle, and compassionate man. He expended countless hours to charity and volunteer work, and for that I am truly saddened to hear he is gone.

He's a man that had an unparalleled joy for living, and that was taken away from him piece by piece by a cruel and malicious disease.

Recently, a prominent festival in the UK switched their main benefiting charity from being a Green Energy charity (as you'd expect from fields, hippies, peace and love) to a charity created to prevent male suicide. It's a huge problem and I believe is currently the 2nd leading cause of death for men under the age 35 in the UK. I think it's about time it gained a bit more awareness.

Spaffy on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    This thread continues my love of this community. I have already had to de-friend a couple of individuals from Facebook because of this incident. Basic internet dickwad type postings that do nothing for the situation. Robin Williams is a legend. How many stand up comedians can you count that reached his level of work. I can not think of many.

Laughter is one of the strongest forms of medicine. This I believe down to my core. Music and laughter has saved me from dark times in my life. And Robin provided many laughs during those rough times. This one is hitting me hard.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I'm cross-posting this from SE++ because it's important, dammit.

Look, if you have depression, repeat this mantra:

DEPRESSIONTWO8.2.png

You are not alone. Other people have to fight this seemingly hopeless battle too. It does get better, but you have to go get help. You have to tell somebody.

I mean, the worst thing that can happen if you tell somebody close to you is that nothing will change. But I can guarantee you that if you tell the right person (or, even better, people), they will be extremely concerned for you, and want to help you get help. Knowing there are people whose world would be changed for the worse by your absence can make all the difference in mustering the courage to see a professional and pull yourself up out of that black hole.

Because other people can't fight that demon for you -- you have to be the one. But other people can give you the strength, willpower and determination to win the battle. The absolute worst thing you can do for yourself and the people you care about is to suffer alone.

If you're reading this and you're suffering, there isn't a single person on these forums who I think the world would be better off without. I am always available to PM and I can talk to you about what helps me when the big blue monster comes knocking on my own door. If you don't feel like you can talk to people close to you because you're embarrassed, or you think they will think less of you for it, talk to someone, even if it's online. But definitely talk to a therapist, too.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Amazing..

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Posted this elsewhere on the internet, but this is probably a better place for it:

I don't talk about it much, especially outside of close friends and family, but I've struggled with depression for most of my life. And it's not like I have much reason to be "down", as I've got a pretty good life. Wonderful, beautiful girl who is the love of my life, I'm a published writer, and I'm at the beginning of a young, promising career in paleontology and geology (mostly paleontology... far crappier money, but oh so amazing), and I'm still young and physically fit and healthy to boot.

Doesn't change the fact that, since I was 12, I've been dealing with bouts of severe depression (which, "wonderfully", also leads more often than not to severe anxiety! Yay human brain!). And by "severe", I mean there have been days (weeks, months, about a year at a time once or twice), where all I was capable of was laying on the bed/couch and contemplating all the ways I've failed in life and the myriad ways I could end it. Occasionally I would crawl out from under the sheets for a sandwich.

I've spent more time than I'm proud of just trying to "man up" and power my way through it, and have found out that that's just a terrible, terrible (gargantuanly atrocious) bad idea. That is a one way ticket to shutting down and becoming a miserable bastard, and none of those are particularly fun (known fact: miserable is the worst kind of bastard). It's because depression is a medical condition, and your brain isn't physically healthy. After all, you wouldn't treat a lung disease by just going "screw it, I'm gonna just try breathing better!" until your lungs get the message and stop hacking up bloody phlegm.

That's a big part of it, recognizing that you have a condition that is both medical and psychological in nature. Go to a doctor and get on medication if you need to (nothing to be ashamed of, you're treating an illness) and maybe seek counseling to help you understand what you're enduring and how to separate what's "real" from what's "just that silly, silly illness in my brain that makes me think doing my best Ian Curtis impression is a solid idea".

Other advice:

1. Exercise. I know, I know, it's incredibly difficult to find the energy to exercise when you don't have the energy to tell Netflix that, yes, you're still watching more Star Trek: The Next Generation re-runs. But being outdoors and getting in good physical shape have all been medically proven to help get your mind healthy as well.

2. Touching into a sense of spiritually, at least personally, has been a huge boon for me. I'm not saying you need to start going to church and getting a guilt trip every Sunday (in fact, that sounds like an TERRIBLE idea. So terrible it needed all caps. TERRIBLE), but if you find genuine comfort from some kind of religion or spirituality, just go with it. Sure, Odin probably doesn't exist given there's zero logical or scientific reason for it, but spending some nights walking around in the forest and pouring some beer on the ground in his name is legitimately part of the reason that, unlike Mr. Williams (tragically, very funny, talented man... especially when he wasn't trying), I haven't lost my battle yet.

So yeah, that's my long, rambling story... but stuff like this always touches me on a personal note. Depression sucks, and it will absolutely derail your life. The sooner you get help for it, the sooner you can avoid that derailment or, if you're like me, at the very least get it back on those rails.

Trains are cool, and I need to get caught up on Hell on Wheels.

Westerns are also cool.

/end old post (again, sorry for the rambles)

So yeah... honestly, was never huge on Robin Williams. I loved him in Aladdin, Jumanji, and Night at the Museum... did find he could be a bit much when he was visibly putting effort to his funny. With that said, still respected his talents as both an actor and comedian, and the manner of his passing strikes a personal chord with me that's left me feeling it far more than a lot of other celebrity deaths. Absolutely tragic that his fight against depression ended on this note, and my heart goes out to his friends and family in their time of mourning.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Robin Williams is one of only three people to ever get Colin Mochrie to break character due to laughter on Whose Line Is It Anyway?, and one of those people was Colin Mochrie.

That's basically all you need to know about Robin Williams' talents as a comedian.

• Options
    Casual wrote: »
    Damn it. It's not just that he's dead it's the way he died.

I hate hearing about people losing the fight against depression.

Yeah. They released details on how he died. And...actually I'll put this in spoilers.

Asphyxiation is not a fast way to go. Especially in the way he did it, where it's only asphyxiation with no trauma to the spine.

I can't get the image of him sitting there out of my mind. The juxtaposition of the energetic, manic Robin Williams just sitting there waiting.

I do not like this image.

I do not like it one bit.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I am not resigned to the shutting away of loving hearts in the hard ground.
    So it is, and so it will be, for so it has been, time out of mind:
    Into the darkness they go, the wise and the lovely. Crowned
    With lilies and with laurel they go; but I am not resigned.
    Lovers and thinkers, into the earth with you.
    Be one with the dull, the indiscriminate dust.
    A fragment of what you felt, of what you knew,
    A formula, a phrase remains, --- but the best is lost.

The answers quick & keen, the honest look, the laughter, the love,
    They are gone. They have gone to feed the roses. Elegant and curled
    Is the blossom. Fragrant is the blossom. I know. But I do not approve.
    More precious was the light in your eyes than all the roses in the world.

Down, down, down into the darkness of the grave
    Gently they go, the beautiful, the tender, the kind;
    Quietly they go, the intelligent, the witty, the brave.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    memorial at a bench in Boston

http://imgur.com/gallery/uJgeE

u8AmMo2l.png

dDQIFR7l.png