As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Random minimization in Windows.

So this has been going on for probably 6 months at least but I've never bothered to ask about it. Whatever window I'm in will randomly minimize. It doesn't seem to matter if I'm gaming or just browsing the web. Just once every hour or so, it will just minimize whatever my active window is. The one exception is if I'm watching something in netflix full screen, instead of minimizing it will just drop me out of fullscreen mode (annoying if I'm cooking or something and don't notice and my computer locks because netflix isn't fullscreened anymore.)
I have a friend having the exact same problem as well.

We're both running Win 7x64, but that's about the only real commonality as far as setup.

steam_sig.png

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    It sounds like some other piece of software is stealing focus.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Yeah, and I've not been able to figure out what. It's not a huge deal, but some full screen games don't recover from losing focus gracefully.

steam_sig.png
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Yeah, and I've not been able to figure out what. It's not a huge deal, but some most full screen games don't recover from losing focus gracefully.

FTFY :p

If it's something that's happening to both you and a friend, I'd start looking at the software both of you use, and killing them off one at a time to see which one is the culprit. It's also possible that you two have some sort of malware infection that's causing this. You might want to run the usual malware scanners to see if they find anything.

In the meantime, try running any of your problem games in full screen windowed mode, since that will keep the programs from getting backgrounded when they lose focus.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Alright, so it seems to be that problem (at least on my computer) is with Citrix Receiver and VIA HD Audio Deck (control panel for my mobo's integrated sound card).
    I say 'and' because the only way I've had it not minimize is to have both of them shut down. Don't what is going on that's causing them to be that way, but the mystery seems to be solved.

steam_sig.png
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Check if either of them have auto updating on. Or any kind of background task that might be running on a schedule like you're seeing