As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

History of RMS Oceanic [chat]

RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
edited August 2014 in Debate and/or Discourse
RMS_Oceanic_(1870).jpg

RMS Oceanic I was built in 1870, and was one of the debut liners for the White Star Line. She had features like running water for First Class Passengers! One of her more famous passengers was Nellie Bly, who boarded her on her Round the World in 72 Days trip. She was scrapped in 1896.

Colorful_Oceanic.jpg

RMS Oceanic II was built in 1899, and was briefly the largest ship in the world. She was meant to have a twin sister Olympic, but this was cancelled after Thomas Ismay, father of J. Bruce, died. In 1912 she was laid up in Southampton due to a Coal Worker's Strike, and got to see the new Titanic depart on her maiden voyage. In August 1914 she was requisitioned as an auxiliary cruiser. In August 1914 she was run aground on the Shetland islands and eventually broke up.

Postcard_Oceanic_III.jpg

RMS Oceanic III was proposed in 1926, after hearing of Cunard and France line plans for 1000 foot long superliners. She was to have revolutionary diesel engines and possibly be the first White Star ship to take the Blue Riband in 50 years. Her keel was laid in 1928, but progress was slow due to arguments about her design. These were resolved in 1929...right when the Great Wall Street Crash happened and all money everywhere ceased to exist. Work was halted on both her and her erstwhile rival Queen Mary. Oceanic was cancelled and her keel was repurposed to build the smaller MV Britannic III.

Britannic_%28III%29.jpg

You can see the resemblance.

In 1934 the Government facilitated a merger of Cunard and White Star and financed the Queen Mary's construction. Britannic and her sister Georgic were the last purpose-built White Star ships and over the years Cunard absorbed White Star's properties until only Cunard remained.

And this third hypothetical ship is for which I am eponymous!

So now you know.

RMS Oceanic on

• GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    This is now the dog-shaming thread.

HVwgSNX.jpg

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Referring to dogs/cats/pets as your children is really weird.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Unless that dog's mother is unusually gifted and can actually sew despite a lack of thumbs.

• KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Referring to dogs/cats/pets as your children is really weird.

Shush you, you'll make the children bark with sadness

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    My roommates totally refer to themselves as their cats' "mom and dad". I told them it was creepy.

Also, I am totally uploading some cat shaming pictures I took right now, they will be up in a sec.

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    That pug wants to force his own close-faced sorrow onto everything else in the world.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
    Or he's a boston terrier, maybe.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I've never seen it used by anyone who has Actual Children(TM)

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    hello slags

Winky wrote: »
    My roommates totally refer to themselves as their cats' "mom and dad". I told them it was creepy.

Also, I am totally uploading some cat shaming pictures I took right now, they will be up in a sec.

I'd just do a piece of paper that reads:

"I won't sit still long enough to have my picture taken"

and that would be my cat shaming picture.

Shawn was pretty devastated to learn he wasn't people.

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    @‌Echo

That was a great TED talk. Thanks for sharing.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
    Organichu wrote: »
    hello slags

How's Colorado.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2014
    i don't know very well what sort of place colorado is just yet. i had a lame flight- extremely delayed (boarded an hour late, sat on the tarmac for an hour and forty five minutes) had a horrible bratty child next to me the whole time. but i had a great dinner before leaving philly and then puppies and i went to the grocery store and i bought some healthy foods. i had a bosc pear as a snack tonight. now i'm going to bed. we are waking up early to go on a long walk. gonna get thin you fuckers.

also suck my dick philadelphia

Organichu on
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    pfft
    old ships
    torpedo-eng.jpg

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    Behold! This is how you effectively shame a cat:

http://imgur.com/a/hy7Pv

(featured here is Lord Renly Baratheon)

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    pfft
    old ships
    torpedo-eng.jpg

i've seen bigger

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    Hideo Kojima and Guillermo del Torro are collaborating on a Silent Hill game

Entitled Silent Hills

Starring Norman Reedus

You can't make this shit up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE0JDQJFbTw

Should have been Silent Mountain

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular

A del toro monster comedy set on mount Fuji

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    edited August 2014
    Well, logically, Silent Hills should be a thrilling action-adventure in contrast to the original Silent Hill which was slow-paced horror.

Then Silent Hill: Resurrection will come out and be considered Joss Whedon's greatest disappointment.

Winky on
    Well, logically, Silent Hills should be a thrilling action-adventure in contrast to the original Silent Hill which was slow-paced horror.

Then Silent Hill: Resurrection will come out and be considered Joss Whedon's greatest disappointment.

Joss Whedon was involved with Alien Resurrection?

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular

I wouldn't call that gameplay, what it was was an interactive teaser trailer.

Also I love how the first person to finish the teaser and see the reveal was some random british girl with 4 viewers on her twitch stream.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

Silent Mountains of Madness?

Miskatonic University exploring Silent Hill makes a certain degree of sense.

Yeah he wrote it.

edited August 2014
    bloodyroarxx on
    knitdan wrote: »

Yeah he wrote it.
    I had no idea.

Which version? I remember that it got several redrafts and complete rewrites over its life.

Wasn't it set on a wooden moon at one point?

Yeah he wrote it.
    I had no idea.

Which version? I remember that it got several redrafts and complete rewrites over its life.

Wasn't it set on a wooden moon at one point?

Yea it had tons of rewrites, seems like Joss' was the final version with tweaks.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    pfft
    old ships
    torpedo-eng.jpg

640px-Olympic_in_New_York_cropped.jpg

u wot m8

gonna fook u up swear on me mum

Also I love how the first person to finish the teaser and see the reveal was some random british girl with 4 viewers on her twitch stream.

Granted, it doesn't really give a picture of what the game will be like, but it seems to paint the tone at least.

Seems a lil cheesey, but I do really appreciate the surrealism.

I was able to find this quote from Whedon about Alien:Resurrection

]
    “I wrote two characters for ‘Alien: Resurrection’ and their arc was that you would not know what way they were going to go,” Whedon explained. “One of them turned out to be insane — and what do they do? They call Brad Dourif. So there is no plot twist. Brad is a very good actor but he has been pigeonholed into these roles. Then they case J.E. Freeman as a thug — and his character was also supposed to be a mystery. So there you go again, the mystery is gone. Those are just a couple of examples because there are thousands of them when it comes to ‘Alien: Resurrection.’”

Granted, it doesn't really give a picture of what the game will be like, but it seems to paint the tone at least.

If you look back at Kojima's twitter he was mentioned he wanted someone to do Silent Hill with FOX engine because its in small spaces so they could really push the graphics.

I just wonder who is actually making the game? KojiPro/Kojima himself be all hands on deck for TPP so where is the man power coming from. I hope we find out this week.

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    Or he's a boston terrier, maybe.

Defo a French bulldog, not a pug or Boston terrier

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I was able to find this quote from Whedon about Alien:Resurrection

]
    “I wrote two characters for ‘Alien: Resurrection’ and their arc was that you would not know what way they were going to go,” Whedon explained. “One of them turned out to be insane — and what do they do? They call Brad Dourif. So there is no plot twist. Brad is a very good actor but he has been pigeonholed into these roles. Then they case J.E. Freeman as a thug — and his character was also supposed to be a mystery. So there you go again, the mystery is gone. Those are just a couple of examples because there are thousands of them when it comes to ‘Alien: Resurrection.’”

Joss Whedon has a million stories about how some DUMB SUIT who DIDN'T GET IT went in and RUINED EVERYTHING and while I don't deny Whedon's talent it does make me think that mmmmmmmmmmaybe the common denominator to these stories is in fact Joss Whedon? And maybe there are parts of the job that he was neglecting if he kept getting so casually overruled, or wasn't able to write in such a way that the studio making casting choices like this wouldn't ruin his plans?

rRwz9.gif
    Here is that Bioware viral thingy's reveal

https://www.shadowrealms.com/
    4v1 online action-RPG - 4 heroes vs 1 "Shadowlord" who controls creatures, sets traps, and can alter the environment

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

4v1 online action-RPG - 4 heroes vs 1 "Shadowlord" who controls creatures, sets traps, and can alter the environment

now where did I hear that before

If you look back at Kojima's twitter he was mentioned he wanted someone to do Silent Hill with FOX engine because its in small spaces so they could really push the graphics.

I just wonder who is actually making the game? KojiPro/Kojima himself be all hands on deck for TPP so where is the man power coming from. I hope we find out this week.

We don't know that Silent Hills is actually in development yet; it's possible that Kojima actually plans to do this one himself once TPP's done.

That said, if you are a game studio you know to slap Kojima's name on your teaser if he has even the tiniest involvement (similarly with del Torro). I wonder how involved they both are? Because if del Torro is doing all the monster design (which logically, he should be) I am very excited about at least one aspect of the game.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

innnteresting!

rRwz9.gif
    This Bioware game excites me WAY more then Fable Heroes which seem sot be doing the same thing.

This discussion has been closed.