As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Robin Williams dies at the age of 63

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    dDQIFR7l.png

When will this stop hurting?

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    dDQIFR7l.png

When will this stop hurting?

It doesn't. You just learn to live with a hole in your heart.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Ugh between Robin Williams and Lauren Bacall, my household is in shambles. For the sake of the Gyral household, no one else is allowed to die.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I was very upset yesterday and today, but had managed to hold on in an an emotional but still functional state when I thought about this tragedy. But as I was driving home from work today, they confirmed the cause of death for Robin Williams, and I absolutely lost it. A grown man, openly weeping about the death of someone who I had never met, but who at the same time was so ever present during my childhood and adolescence that I felt I had lost a dear and close friend. When I was home watching the nightly news, my face was in my hand, wiping away my tears as they played a retrospective of Robins Williams life and all the roles he had played. A celebrity death has never in my life ever made me as distraught as I felt tonight.

How can someone who injected so much laughter, so much fun, so much pure unadulterated joy, not have had the opportunity to share in the wonder he spread with the world? There is truly no justice. I know mental disease is a physical problem with the brain, because otherwise how could someone who made so many people so truly happy not been able to share in that self same happiness? It boggles the mind. No one can know what was going through his mind in his final moments, but with my whole heart I hope and pray, he knew, on some level, how beloved he was, how much the world would miss him, and loved him, and how we are all poorer and emptier of spirit without him.

Now I'm getting emotional. Talk amongst yourselves. Here, I'll give you a topic. The human reproductive system is so insane, it must have been designed by committee.

RIP Robin Williams

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Having fought with depression since I was young, this scares me.

Having lost my fiance to the same fight, this scares me.

The idea that this might be me on one bad day, scares me.
    rUM2SPp.jpg

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I went over to a friend's house today. He asked me if I had seen the clip of Conan O'Brien reacting at the end of his show last night. I hadn't so he played it. I teared up quite a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opGqW0Eocqc

Gim on
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I was very upset yesterday and today, but had managed to hold on in an an emotional but still functional state when I thought about this tragedy. But as I was driving home from work today, they confirmed the cause of death for Robin Williams, and I absolutely lost it. A grown man, openly weeping about the death of someone who I had never met, but who at the same time was so ever present during my childhood and adolescence that I felt I had lost a dear and close friend. When I was home watching the nightly news, my face was in my hand, wiping away my tears as they played a retrospective of Robins Williams life and all the roles he had played. A celebrity death has never in my life ever made me as distraught as I felt tonight.

How can someone who injected so much laughter, so much fun, so much pure unadulterated joy, not have had the opportunity to share in the wonder he spread with the world? There is truly no justice. I know mental disease is a physical problem with the brain, because otherwise how could someone who made so many people so truly happy not been able to share in that self same happiness? It boggles the mind. No one can know what was going through his mind in his final moments, but with my whole heart I hope and pray, he knew, on some level, how beloved he was, how much the world would miss him, and loved him, and how we are all poorer and emptier of spirit without him.

Now I'm getting emotional. Talk amongst yourselves. Here, I'll give you a topic. The human reproductive system is so insane, it must have been designed by committee.

RIP Robin Williams

Depression doesn't necessarily mean that you're never happy, and I don't think that it did in Williams' case.

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular

RIP Robin Williams

I'm right there with you, man. It's just so sad.

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Jesus, I started listening to his WTF interview this morning and Mark's intro tore me up something good.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Dear humanity,

Can we, for once, not fucking regress to the mean? I know it's a lot to ask.

<3,
    Hedgie

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Dear humanity,

<3,
    Hedgie

Those people arent human, they just look like us.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Dear humanity,

<3,
    Hedgie

Listen... if the people who were actually close to Mr. Williams want to be angry at him for the choice he made, it's not only their right but it's something that's pretty human in terms of a response.

However, Shepard Smith and random douches on Twitter, the overwhelming majority (guessing 99% of which) have never had to deal with depression or lose someone close to them because of, can kindly kiss the fattest, hairiest ass that ever existed.

And while their lips are busy grappling with butt-fat and ass carpet, with any luck they'll have no choice but to shut up.

The absolute last thing any family in grieving needs is other people thumping their chest at them about how much better they are than their recently deceased relative. It's no better than Westboro protesting the funerals for soldiers.

Sending a photoshoped image showing the deceased hanging himself to his daughter? Reminds me of a certain PA comic regarding Gabe's political inclinations, though I think saying anything more may start to infringe on edicts that are glorious in nature.

• Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Ah, well, would you look at that... apparently Westboro is planning to picket his funeral.

I'm legitimately not shocked in the slightest.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Westboro has no idea what they're getting themselves into here.

• Options
    *sigh* look, As a catholic (and im sure im not the only one), I say the honest truth. Westboro is nothing but a self-help group for attention whores. We should start a kickstarter for donations. the donations will go to hiring as many freelance clowns and mimes as we can afford to perform through the entire funeral in a ring around the westboro picketers.

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    Eh, they're kinda late to the party on the 'bad opinions about Robin Williams' thing

http://whatismattwalshwrongabouttoday.com/robin-williams/#.U-uEN_ldXbM

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Eh, they're kinda late to the party on the 'bad opinions about Robin Williams' thing

Was sad for a second because I saw the name and thought it was comedian/actor Matt Walsh from Upright Citizens Brigade/Veep, but thankfully, no, it's just some douche I don't care about.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular

Was sad for a second because I saw the name and thought it was comedian/actor Matt Walsh from Upright Citizens Brigade/Veep, but thankfully, no, it's just some douche I don't care about.

Yeah I was actually wondering if the better Matt Walsh was seeing like twitter backlash because of this shitty guys opinions

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Are you not familiar with Westboro?

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Westboro is not a church. It is primarily the family and a handful of others. Ive had the displeasure of seeing them up close and the cops ringing them apparently for their protection was almost insulting. Wanna practice free speech? Then be able to handle the consequences of your actions and words as well

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Mulletude wrote: »
    Wanna practice free speech? Then be able to handle the consequences of your actions and words as well

That's a pretty shitty dictum when applied to literally anyone besides the WBC; the consequences of your speech can frequently be illegal violence, whether you're the WBC or someone making an actual legitimate though unpopular case.

Plus if the cops weren't there, and the WBC were assaulted as a result, they would definitely sue for assault and win. They're a powerful law firm, and they use the damages from assault suits to fund their shittastic campaigns.

Plus anybody can be a church these days. It's become a complete non-word. I'm the head of a church consisting of myself and my two testicles.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    ILMTitanILMTitan Registered User regular
    Westboro is not a church. It is primarily the family and a handful of others. Ive had the displeasure of seeing them up close and the cops ringing them apparently for their protection was almost insulting. Wanna practice free speech? Then be able to handle the consequences of your actions and words as well

IIRC, the "church" gets most of its funding by suing people that punch them, so police protecting them may actually be reducing their ability to raise funds.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Some celebrity deaths have affected me greatly recently. Perhaps it's because I'm getting older and want to enshrine valuable minds. Robin's death has made me extraordinarily sad... And when Terry Pratchett (the closest thing I have to a creative 'hero') dies, my shit is ruined. Just the thought of a world suddenly without imaginations on this scale makes me tear up. These people have entire universes living in their heads that we'll never get to see or enjoy.

Today I saw a lot of posts on social media saying that we shouldn't mourn Robin because of terrible atrocities commited around the world that are more important than his death. To them I say, the reason we at least try to fight those atrocities is so that people like Robin can exist and thrive anywhere. Most people want to be happy. To do this you do two things: remove factors that cause unhappiness, and promote and nourish things and people that cultivate joy. Mr. Williams was a shining example of the latter.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    Yeah people my age probably have a bad decade ahead of us just with Terry Pratchett
    and Mel Brooks...Sure there are plenty more reaching the expiration date..

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    ILMTitan wrote: »

IIRC, the "church" gets most of its funding by suing people that punch them, so police protecting them may actually be reducing their ability to raise funds.

True. Hope they leave Robins funeral alone. But as you and Kal said, im sure they know it will make people angry and push some to physical violence. :(

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I'm at the point where as long as I'm doing something I'm alright.

The moment I get a little bit of downtime I remember that Robin is gone.

I think the saddest part of the day was when my four year old asked me "Why you so sad dad?"

oh I almost started crying

• Options

True. Hope they leave Robins funeral alone. But as you and Kal said, im sure they know it will make people angry and push some to physical violence. :(

If they actually go and picket the funeral there won't be physical violence.

It'll be several dozen of the worlds best comedians/actors doing an impromptu stand up show right there in their faces.

• Options
    It's an odd dichotomy that his funeral may well end up being one of the greatest celebrations of joy we've ever seen.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    I have little to say about all of this, except that his death is incredibly depressing to me. His work was a sizable part of my life growing up, and I'll remember him fondly .
    All the best to his family, and fuck all the wankers attention-whoring this situation and/or being scum of the earth about it.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »

If they actually go and picket the funeral there won't be physical violence.

It'll be several dozen of the worlds best comedians/actors doing an impromptu stand up show right there in their faces.

No, do it far enough away that it will draw all the crowds and cameras.

WBC only does it for the publicity. Putting celebrities next to them plays into their hands. Taking the media away means they just wasted their time and resources.

• Options
    Spaffy wrote: »
    It's an odd dichotomy that his funeral may well end up being one of the greatest celebrations of joy we've ever seen.

drama-masks-300x2381.jpg

• Options
    Trace wrote: »

drama-masks-300x2381.jpg

Apt. Thank you :)

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    One day WBC will picket the wrong person's funeral, and legitimately get hurt/killed. No suing someone if you're dead.

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    If the people who went to Jeff Hanneman of Slayer's funeral could restrain themselves, I think just about everyone else can. They're the real-life equivalent of internet trolls and everyone would do well to ignore them.

If anything we need the news media to stop giving them the time of day.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I have for a long time been considering starting a thread on Depression and Addiction. Even asked if I could start a smurf account to do so. Maybe this is the impetus I need to do it, so ashamed was I to attach a potential stigma to my name on a forum full of people I've never met. or I would if I wasn't so fucking sad about this.

Badda boom.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-blog/wp/2014/08/14/robin-williams-was-in-the-early-stages-of-parkinsons-disease-his-wife-says/?hpid=z4
    Three days after Robin Williams’s death, people are looking for answers about why the beloved entertainer would take his own life. On Thursday, his wife, Susan Schneider released a statement that said Williams was in the early stages of Parkinson’s disease when he died.

“Robin’s sobriety was intact and he was brave as he struggled with his own battles of depression, anxiety as well as early stages of Parkinson’s Disease, which he was not ready to share publicly,” Schneider said. (Her full statement is below.)

• Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    :(

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    The Parkinson's reveal makes the suicide... I don't want to say "make sense" but that's the only phrase I can come up with. The man used physical activity to keep his other problems in check, and then he gets diagnosed with a disease that's likely to take that all away? That's a pretty dark pit to be facing.

Artereis on