As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

South 2015 Q&A

• WickershamWickersham Registered User regular
    Beker wrote: »
    I've only ever been to San Antonio a couple times, and always in the summer. How much Tourist activity will be happening\available in January? Do things shut down, just slow down?

There will still be plenty going on. It's still quite a ways off so we don't know what specifically will be happening the weekend of PAX, but the city doesn't slow down at all. For instance, the weekend before the con is the San Antonio Cocktail Conference, which is probably the most fun drinking experience I've ever had.

• ChojeyChojey Humanoid AustraliaRegistered User new member
    Hey all - I'm an Aussie that will be coming to PAX South (half for the event, and half to visit a couple of friends in the US)... Reading the above, it would seem that local public transportation in San Antonio is limited, so I guess my question is as an overseas tourist, outside of PAX, how long would it be worth staying in San Antonio to see/do things with limited transportation? I will probably be looking to stay 1 - 2 weeks in the US (coming in via Los Angeles or San Francisco, then flying to San Antonio)...

• O.F.FascistO.F.Fascist South TexasRegistered User regular
    On the mass transit side, google maps will give directions for the VIA bus system. I'm not sure how accurate closely they stick to their scheduled times though since I've yet to personally use the bus system in San Antonio.

• ChojeyChojey Humanoid AustraliaRegistered User new member
    Well, if they are anything like Sydney, it'll be running 5 - 10min late... or don't come at all - take your pick :P Thanks for the heads up though, OF Fascist - I will take a look at that and see what where the routes are and what's available :)

• Jester19xJester19x Registered User regular
    My friend got us tickets and forgot to sign up for the omegathon. Is there anyway I can sign up?

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Only the ticket purchaser can be eligible for the omegathon. The ticket purchaser can probably email paxquestions@reedexpo.com

• Jester19xJester19x Registered User regular
    ok thanks

• gunadicgunadic Registered User regular
    Beker wrote: »
    I've only ever been to San Antonio a couple times, and always in the summer. How much Tourist activity will be happening\available in January? Do things shut down, just slow down?

It's slower. The big attractions like Sea World and Six Flags are closed. That said all the downtown infrastructure is open year round since the weather is usually pretty nice during the winter. If y'all can swing it, I'd recommend making a week of it since the San Antonio Cocktail Conference is the weekend before PAX. It's one helluva time: galas with free drinks, "workshops" with more drinks, and bar crawls by bus and boat (with more cocktails on the boats between the bars!)

Chojey wrote: »
    Hey all - I'm an Aussie that will be coming to PAX South (half for the event, and half to visit a couple of friends in the US)... Reading the above, it would seem that local public transportation in San Antonio is limited, so I guess my question is as an overseas tourist, outside of PAX, how long would it be worth staying in San Antonio to see/do things with limited transportation? I will probably be looking to stay 1 - 2 weeks in the US (coming in via Los Angeles or San Francisco, then flying to San Antonio)...

Certain bus routes in SA come fairly often (like the VIA Primo, thought I doubt you'll be headed anywhere that goes). If you're going to have a phone while you're here, every bus stop has a code that you can text for updates of when the next bus is coming.

If you aren't planning on having a car, I'd say two days would cover most of the non-PAX stuff to do around downtown. Theres a number of museums (The McNay, SAMA and the Briscoe) that are worth taking a look at and a ton of good food options. You've got the Missions, which include the Alamo, which are all linked on a riverside path that run south of downtown. I definitely recommend checking out Mission San Jose if its nice out. The SA Zoo, Botanical Gardens and "Japanese" Tea Gardens are all a quick cab ride away as well.

If you do have a car, your options expand considerably. Austin and the Hill Country are about a 90 minute drive from SA depending on the traffic. There are a lot of cool little towns along the way as well: Fredericksburg, Greune (pronounced green), and New Braunfels are all remnants of a predominantly German past that many people not from Texas are unaware of. If you can catch a show at Greune Hall, well it doesn't get much more Texas than that.

• DaBaumDaBaum Registered User new member
    Can a teenager or child be picked for the omegathon?

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    The only people eligible are those who actually purchased the badges (i.e. of I bought a pass for a friend and I, I would be eligible but he wouldn't), and since that requires a credit card...no. And you're not allowed to pass it on to someone else if you do get called.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • QuackersQuackers College Student and Code Monkey Orlando FloridaRegistered User regular
    any idea when they will call out for enforcers? i live just a few hours south of san antonio (well about 4 hours) and based on past volunteer experiences with things like boy scouts i think i would actual enjoy being on the side of things that makes it so awesome for the attendees. Should i set up a page refresher for the enforcer page?

• ccarroll85ccarroll85 Registered User regular
    Just a FYI on Bars / Alcohol consumption and being under 21 in the state of Texas.

You CAN attend bars and CONSUME alcoholic beverages under the age of 21 in the state of Texas IF you are with your legal guardian OR you are with your married spouse (they are over 21 but you are not).

Cheers! :)

Donatello: You're a claustrophobic.

Casey Jones
    : You want a fist in the mouth? I've never even looked at another guy.
    edited July 2014
    I did not believe you at first, so I looked it up.

https://www.tabc.state.tx.us/laws/alcoholic_beverage_Code_referencing_minors.asp

Section 106.06.b

Wild. Admittedly I'm still not sure I believe it, but it appears legit. Probably doesn't apply to all that many people though.

zerzhul on
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I did not believe you at first, so I looked it up.

https://www.tabc.state.tx.us/laws/alcoholic_beverage_Code_referencing_minors.asp

Section 106.06.b

Wild. Admittedly I'm still not sure I believe it, but it appears legit. Probably doesn't apply to all that many people though.
    It doesn't even specify a lower age limit. So theoretically it means a very young child could get alcohol this way. I would bet money there are other laws that also apply, like child endangerment, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, etc... So if your PAX plans involve giving hootch to your offspring, check with a Texas lawyer first (also your basic common sense and humanity). And like states with concealed carry laws, individual establishments might have their own rules.

• AlleykatdenAlleykatden Registered User regular
    A child of any age can drink the alcohol in a bar within the law as long as their parent or guardian is the one supervising it with line of vision (parent can't order a drink for the teen and then leave or go elsewhere in the bar). So I doubt that helps any who were asking here about it. And, it should be noted that just because the law says someone under 21 can enter a bar with a guardian doesn't mean the specific bar has to allow it. I know there's at least a couple downtown that are 21 and up regardless of who has a parent with them.

• BlargdonBlargdon Deadly Handsome Man houstonRegistered User regular
    At least in college towns in Texas, bars will allow minors in with their drinking age friends, but the doorman usually writes something like "U21" all over your hands and arms in permanent marker. So if you want to go in and hang out with some older buddies, it is usually not a problem, but they have processes in place to not serve minors and your whole group will be kicked out if they think a minor is drinking.

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't advise trying to skirt the law with that.

• Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    If you are going to take advantage of the law with your legal guardians or spouse, enforcement is incredibly strict. As mentioned above, your guardian can't even go to the bathroom and leave you with the drink. I've known a few people down here who have gotten not inexpensive MIP tickets because their parent ran to the restroom leaving them at the table with a drink.

So while the law does exist, be very, very careful with it.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • DaBaumDaBaum Registered User new member
    whypick1 wrote: »
    The only people eligible are those who actually purchased the badges (i.e. of I bought a pass for a friend and I, I would be eligible but he wouldn't), and since that requires a credit card...no. And you're not allowed to pass it on to someone else if you do get called.

I believe that using a prepaid visa card or something of the sort would work to purchase the tickets. Also, you have to buy tickets for all three days to be eligible for the omegathon, right?

You need to be present for all 3 days to do the omegathon.

• sacratoysacratoy Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Is there a best way to get from the airport (SAT) to the convention center area?

;;Edit;;

So I've done some research, and it looks like the shuttle service recommended by the SAT official website is $19 for a one way trip, or $34 round trip (http://www.sanantonio.gov/SAT/GroundTransportation/Shuttle.aspx)

Looks like this may be the best bet for people flying in who don't want to rent a car. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The airport is about 9 miles (14.4km) from the convention center.

sacratoy on
    PAX Prime 2014: Pass [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Vacation Days [x]

PAX Prime 2014 Preparations Complete
  • chellerschellers New HampshireRegistered User regular
    I know this sounds wicked cheap, but we were thinking of taking the plane into Austin because it's $125 cheaper (per ticket, round trip from New England) and then taking the greyhound (round trip $10/pp).

• QuackersQuackers College Student and Code Monkey Orlando FloridaRegistered User regular
    i recommend doing that. flying into austin is much cheaper and really it isn't a long bus trip to san-an

• CardeyCardey Registered User new member
    Yeah, in regards to the TABC laws and all, as many have said before me it is valid. Having worked service side and been TABC trained, most servers and all take it seriously. Both the customer and the server will get penalized heavily if caught. Depending what kind of venue you are going to, a good chunk will apologize but refuse to serve the minor just to protect themselves.

chellers wrote: »
    I know this sounds wicked cheap, but we were thinking of taking the plane into Austin because it's $125 cheaper (per ticket, round trip from New England) and then taking the greyhound (round trip $10/pp).

I would actually recommend holding off on buying tickets. Southwest is the main airline that flies in and out of SA and they haven't yet released there schedule past January 5th. When they do, I'd expect ticket prices to drop quite a bit.

Then again, that BOS-AUS flight is aweful tempting even if it is a 7am departure...

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    gunadic wrote: »
    I would actually recommend holding off on buying tickets. Southwest is the main airline that flies in and out of SA and they haven't yet released there schedule past January 5th. When they do, I'd expect ticket prices to drop quite a bit.

Then again, that BOS-AUS flight is aweful tempting even if it is a 7am departure...

I've been waiting for Southwest to publish their schedule/prices before purchasing. When we were considering going to Prime, Southwest blew away everyone else in the airfare department. According to their website, on Aug 4 travel dates through March 6 should be available for purchase.

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    gunadic wrote: »

I've been waiting for Southwest to publish their schedule/prices before purchasing. When we were considering going to Prime, Southwest blew away everyone else in the airfare department. According to their website, on Aug 4 travel dates through March 6 should be available for purchase.

Hm. I should've waited. Oh well, I know for next time now. Wonder if I could cancel my Delta tix...probably not right?

Airline prices are such a pain to predict. It's hard to suggest canceling a sure thing over a maybe.

• ohkateyohkatey Owner of Bitch Team Alpha Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    It also depends on where you fly out of - if your city isn't a major Southwest hub, it can get spendier. Chellers probably lives in a hub for them.

pax primer @ <3
    edited August 2014
    I'm coming out of Hartford. We got Hartford - Austin for $287 each w/early boarding (due to their free-for-all seating). Then from Austin, we're taking the Greyhound into San Antonio for $5 each. The cheapest flight into San Antonio was $324 for us. If the plane+bus thing goes well, we'll probably do it again next year and spend a night or 2 in Austin.

chellers on
  • jj4thjj4th Registered User regular
    So as a local San Antonio guy, I have to say... DON'T count too heavily on Via. Our public transit system is not very reliable at all. Rental cars are the way to go. Most of the hotels downtown have private parking for hotel attendees. As far as tourism goes, downtown is very accessible by walking, it's not a place you really need a car for. Now heading out of downtown you will want a rental car, or plan on long bus rides (from my house to the airport is 20 minutes by car, 4 hours by Via bus because of the limited routes).

• AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Are cabs/Uber readily available? Looking at some clubs/bars that are a bit outside of downtown where I'm staying.

• jcphnejcphne Registered User regular
    I bought 3 tickets already (1 for each day since 3-day pass is sold out) and it have some questions about BYOC and Omegathon. I know that the Omegathon is like 20 lucky people but how about the BYOC? Do I need to buy it separately from the tickets that I have? Thank you.

jcphne wrote: »
    I bought 3 tickets already (1 for each day since 3-day pass is sold out) and it have some questions about BYOC and Omegathon. I know that the Omegathon is like 20 lucky people but how about the BYOC? Do I need to buy it separately from the tickets that I have? Thank you.

BYOC has its own thread with a link to buy tickets ($35).
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/191602/pax-south-byoc-registration-is-up#latest

• RARuskRARusk Registered User regular
    As a long time San Antonio resident I can confirm the January weather. However, last year was very cold due to the polar vortex so hopefully things will be warmer next January. If you're into sports the San Antonio Spurs should be about halfway through the season hoping to win back to back titles and you should find plenty of gear if you're a fan of them. As for VIA, although it isn't the best bus system out there they do have at least one good express route from the northeast side of town that goes to downtown (17 - Express). You can do the Park and Ride and take that bus if you don't want to deal with downtown parking hassles. But don't stay too late as the last bus ends before 10 PM.

And as a long time GameFAQs contributor I was wondering if there is going to be a FAQ Writing panel at PAX South. I've heard of various writing discussions at other types of cons and I wanted to know if there was going to be something for this particular type of writing. It would be a good way to meet other FAQ writers face to face and learn new things in the process. If this is the wrong place to ask this question can I be pointed in the right direction?

• MistyVerminMistyVermin Registered User new member
    edited September 2014
    Are you allowed to buy 4 of each one day badge, or would that be against the more than 4 people rule? The reason why im buying 4 of each badge is because the 3 day pass is out and I wanted to bring 3 friends for all 3 days. Sorry if this sounds stupid but it will be my first time at pax and I want to make sure.

MistyVermin on
  • orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    You may purchase up to 4 of each day.

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • miker525miker525 New YorkRegistered User regular
    Do you know if the bus pickup is close to the Austin airport? If it's really that much cheaper I may totally consider doing this too. I'm just always worried about the plane being delayed and thus missing my bus.

weZXr66.png
    Steam - Miker525 | Xbox Live - Miker525| PSN - MikeRosenberg
    Websites - Gamerations - MikeRosenberger.com
    Pinny Pals - Miker525
This discussion has been closed.