As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TRENCHES] Tuesday, August 12, 2014 - Spin Off Beat

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited August 2014 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Spin Off Beat

Spin Off Beat
http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/spin-off-beat

Done

Anonymous

The one testing job I had was at a multinational company working on a ported Japanese game featuring their star characters. It was a dream project to be on because not only was the game incredibly fun but there were enough varied tasks that if one thing became monotonous, you could always work on something else. The development team in Japan promptly responded to our bugs and always replied with courtesy and respect, even for the most trivial of issues. However, because this was a port, the game had to be completely translated. And I wish I could say that the in house translators were as nice as the developers.

By the time I got to the project only a few menus and other miscellaneous features were still in translation. Anything that was stylized graphical text had to be made by hand. This unfortunately included the message that was displayed when the player beat the game. When we got the build that translated it, I found to my dismay that the “Thanks for playing!” message had been erroneously translated to “Done.”

Naturally I was aghast. I knew enough Japanese to know that this was not even remotely correct, and upon confirming that it was not a placeholder, filed it as a bug. My supervisor told me that he wasn’t going to accept it because the translators wouldn’t even read it. He told me if I felt strongly enough about it I should talk to them directly. Big mistake.

Apparently being a translator meant that you were above the common rank and file and as such, could not be questioned in the slightest. I’m still not sure how they managed to fit their egos into their cubicles. To point out their mistakes was a sin.

Luckily, I told enough people on the project about the “Done.” that someone in upper management caught wind of it and they were forced to re-translate it to a much more appropriate “The End.” It wasn’t much, but I feel like it was my major contribution to the gaming populous.

Geth on

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    There should be a show that follows Watson when he's not with Homes.
    logo.png

• Options
    jlrxjlrx Registered User regular
    Lets rage, against Homes, and against all injustices! (Holmes)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Home Away From Holmes, starting Steve Buscemi as Dr. Watson

• Options
    tardigradetardigrade Registered User new member
    Shouldn't she be off, like, telling Q that the person that has been cloning their game actually works for them? WTF

• Options
    HikaruYamiHikaruYami Registered User regular
    Seriously, three people have already explicitly come on the forum to comment on the error. Fix it, it's disgusting.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    One of my college friends used to call me Homes (as in, homey). It took me three years of college to realize he wasn't calling me Holmes.

• Options
    ShowsniShowsni Registered User regular
    You know, it probably wouldn't be bad. Probably go with the pre Holmes years, following him as an army doctor in Afghanistan...

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    AntonNULAntonNUL Registered User regular
    Well, it's late now and there's a new tale up. It's pretty good.

• Options
    ManOfHonorManOfHonor Registered User regular
    AntonNUL wrote: »
    Well, it's late now and there's a new tale up. It's pretty good.

Yeah, it's somewhat funny.