As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[LOTRO] I'll see you on the other side. The Barrovian Society 2007-2014

• CobellCobell Registered User regular
    IvanIssacs wrote: »
    What about the werewolf RPers behind the prancing pony?

My favorite RPers (beyond the barking werewolves):
    1) I forget his name, but there was that one guy that like to role play as something like X Demonblade? And had terrible grammar and spelling if I recall, but was always going on some crazy stories
    2) I seem to recall a RPer that would RP as a voyeur hiding in bushes and would roleplay spying on other RPers.

• IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    I remember that second dude and the hilarity he caused! People used to get heated whenever he watched them.

• SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    veritas1 wrote: »
    All hail LOTRO.

I was a huge Tolkien fan. I played this with you guys in the beginning, but haven't played in a long long time. Great game. I've never invested as much of myself into a video game as this one.

After the sad loss of the Barrovian Society, I was nostalgic and found a folder of old screenshots. Here are some memories, guys. Sorry, I can't remember who is which character, and I forget the names of most of these places.

Barrovian Society in The Great Barrow. (It was a huge pain to organize this many people with all the quests we had to do)
    ScreenShot00192.jpg

Barrovian confusion with big skulls. (East of Esteldin, the ranger camp, I think)
    ScreenShot00233.jpg

TBS attempting to grind out quests in the unholiest of unholy places, Dol Dinen.
    ScreenShot00235.jpg

And again, with more people! More organization! More rage quits!
    ScreenShot00239.jpg

In some other instance, can't remember the name of it. Ah, the miracle and horror of FMs!
    ScreenShot00256.jpg

Copy-pasta from an old LOTRO thread. Shenanigans RP made me laugh until I cry.

Dem and I decide to do some roleplaying at the Prancing Pony!
    ScreenShot00262.jpg
    ScreenShot00263.jpg

We spot a kindred RPer and decide to follow him!
    ScreenShot00264.jpg

He lights a fire and invites us to join him! What a nice guy.
    ScreenShot00265.jpg

We leave, a little creeped out, but I am so sneaky!
    ScreenShot00266.jpg

We lost him somehow, but surprise of surprises, he's back at the Pony RPing a storm! He shook us off shortly after.
    ScreenShot00269.jpg

Oh man I am in a bunch of those party ones. I remember how hard those Dol Dinen quests were and how proud I was when we finally beat em.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CobellCobell Registered User regular
    I remember that time we were going to try the Rift because it was the lvl 50 Raid and we were... all 70s (maybe 60s)? Wiped on the 2nd-3rd pull. Good times.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    We can totally take the Rift. Totally.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    At 95 we could.

Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
    Triple B wrote: »
    At 95 we could.

Wouldn't we need to log on to get to 95 though?

Actually I'm pretty sure there's a pay option for that now.

edited August 2014
    Actually I'm pretty sure there's a pay option for that now.

They'll pay me to log on? :p

Seidkona on
  • GlorntGlornt I'm the Bob Ross of Wombats. And I just had a "happy accident"... in my pants!Registered User regular
    Rats. I just logged on to pay housing maintenance (now paid up through March of 2015), and got the sad news: "your kinship has disbanded." I know I hadn't been logging in often, but I do miss the old days, when even if I wasn't up to playing, I could count on a few good fart and poop jokes. Even WoW doesn't have the same level of foolishness that it used to have. And I can't muster up the interest to start a new game, so it's now either WoW or LOTRO, and to do anything in LOTRO, I'll have to reset spec/legendary points/etc. and re-learn skills. I have a lifetime sub, but I don't guess I'll be playing again any time soon.

I still think that F2P and the cash shop started the decline of LOTRO. More players came in, sure, but they were mostly un-serious, casual types who brought down the level of the player base. I saw early on the explosion of inappropriate character names, and hoped that I was wrong, but I wasn't. Of course, lackluster expansions didn't help, either, and neither did all the mimicking of WoW (WoW moves from talent builds to three specialization choices, then LOTRO follows suit, etc.). Too bad -- I really thought LOTRO was the better game there for a while; too bad Turbine didn't.

LOTRO (Landroval): Clontarf (62 Batman), Theorwald (60 LM), Glornt (56 guardian), Onzlo (58 minstrel), Porthian (54 warden), Vilric (54 burglar), Feyerborn (54 hunter), Rudkin (54 champ), Limnon (53 RK)
    Glorntisms
  • JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    :(

• Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    I logged in and saw the heartbreaking message that the Kinship had been disbanded.

Good times, good times..

The worst part of this whole thing is I have now lost a transport point, it was quite nice to be able to have a steady way to get back to Bree..

Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Bloody JackBloody Jack Registered User regular
    Lotro pioneered the actual good FTP model, but after WB took over, it started to slowly devolve into the more traditional PTW model. They even have gambling boxes in the form of hobbit gifts now :(

• eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Lotro pioneered the actual good FTP model, but after WB took over, it started to slowly devolve into the more traditional PTW model. They even have gambling boxes in the form of hobbit gifts now :(

I never liked Lotro's FTP model. Paying for quest packs for zones was a horrible horrible idea. Those kinds of filler quests are the type of content that should be free, particularly in the quest based XP grind style MMO.

(She/Her)
    In other "WB really likes raping Tolkien's ghost" news, how about this Shadows of Mordor abortion that's about to come out, eh?

• eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    In other "WB really likes raping Tolkien's ghost" news, how about this Shadows of Mordor abortion that's about to come out, eh?

Well I hear it is quite fun even if the story sucks. So no reason you can't play it and pretend it isn't in Middle-Earth.

(She/Her)
    If I were to buy that game, I'd be rewarding them for that bullshit.

• ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    check yo bank accounts...turbine is randomly charging you. I got hit, aint nobody safe!

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

I have heard the story isn't that bad either, even if it isn't 100% true to what Tolkien wrote.

Supposedly there is a "thing" that happens early enough into the game that helps you handwave away the stuff that seems wrong.

Also, the side missions are supposedly crafted with a lot of care for the lore of the setting.

I dunno. Seems like a pretty awesome looking game.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

I have heard the story isn't that bad either, even if it isn't 100% true to what Tolkien wrote.

Supposedly there is a "thing" that happens early enough into the game that helps you handwave away the stuff that seems wrong.

Also, the side missions are supposedly crafted with a lot of care for the lore of the setting.

I dunno. Seems like a pretty awesome looking game.

I think Shadows of Mordor is pretty rockin'. I like seeing an alternate take on the usual lore, though I feel like it's crafted in such a way that you could almost believe it's canon.
    Regardless of the lore or not, it's damn fun orc hunting in Mordor. I hope we see some more solid, deeper LOTR games in the future.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I'll take an alternative interpretation over another trip with the ringbearer. Why don't we ever get a game set in the second age though?

What is this I don't even.
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Login servers across all Turbine products (AC, DDO, LOTRO, Forusm, etc) are a smoldering crater right now. Bleh.

I hear LOTRO did an expansion somewhat recently (?) that completely redid the game's leveling system. I might give it another try, trying to figure out where my old characters are but this login stuff is a bit of a pain. Since I never got into LOTRO I might just roll with the PA guild on Landroval.

Edit: Wait, they added Beornings recently? Were-bears were fun in TOME, I wonder how they play. Looks like high DPS / light tanking.

Edit: Ah. Apparently I... came back a few months too late? Disappointing. =/

KiTA on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    So I'm enjoying Kitaric, my Beorning on Landroval. I have no idea what I'm doing, however.

• ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    I'm in FULL WoW mode (happens every couple years) but I think the LotRO bug is starting to make me itch.

• DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    Started patching tonight. . . Anyone playing? It is almost a year since last post, so probably not, but checking.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I jump in every now and then. I last tried when they released Beorling and they were fun. But I always seem to get done with Evendim or Moria (the best places ever) and stop playing.

I'm meneldor, and I think I'm following two friends in the merge. Unsure were PA folks were. I started when the game out, and have a lifetime, so I always check back. Most expensive game I ever bought.

I'm up to 78 with my really only toon I play, Hunter.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
    I keep my main up if I can which is a guard. I mainly keep him leveled so when they release minas tirith I can run around it for awhile and hopefully mordor as well.

edited October 2015
    Phenyhelm's beard still defends the free people of Middle Earth.

But only when I dream at night.

Seidkona on
    I'm just trying to catch up on what I should be doing. I poked multiple times, but last time I really played was mirk wood.

Jubal77 wrote: »
    I jump in every now and then. I last tried when they released Beorling and they were fun. But I always seem to get done with Evendim or Moria (the best places ever) and stop playing.

Oddly, that's pretty much where i fell off too.

Pretty much because that's when the game stops being fun and just becomes boring bullshit.

I stopped trying to play when I couldn't get my stupid Warhorse to stop rubber banding all over the map.

edited October 2015
    Jubal77 on
    Can I pay money to set myself on fire and throw myself off the tower?

I hope so.

Jesus it only took them damn near 9 years.

• Shifty_CalhounShifty_Calhoun Registered User regular
    Hey! Doomey here. Hope you are all doing well.

I havent been on for 2 or so years... has there been an expansion since the rohan stuff?

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Hey! Doomey here. Hope you are all doing well.

I havent been on for 2 or so years... has there been an expansion since the rohan stuff?

Multiple, last mail I saw was that they were up to minas tirith now.

Not that anyone still plays.

• ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    The game is active but I am unsure of how many people from PA play. If you get the right server it will be pretty well populated. Even better, it's usually nicer people who are there to actually enjoy the Middle-earth setting. I don't play often, but when I do it's on Landroval. Chat usually swings between trade, pugs, and Tolkien trivia and debate - which is exactly what chat in a Lord of the Rings MMO should be.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
    I'm still on Landroval, though admittedly I haven't logged in in over a year...

• TrekkieTrekkie Registered User regular
    nice necro.

I patch the client every now and then, maybe log on for a bit and try to level up some PVE as i never quite figured out the F2P of the system

Then i get bored because no one on, and log and forget about it for six months.

Eve Online: Zareph