As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Life is Strange: Episode Five Oct. 20

Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
edited October 2015 in Games and Technology
BL5XvZq.png

Square Enix announced that they are publishing a Dontnod developed game called Life is Strange

It will be an episodic adventure/mystery game where "choice and consequence play a key role in how the narrative unfolds." The developers have stated that environmental storytelling, a la Gone Home, will be a highlight of the game. Also, the main character has just discovered she has the ability to rewind time and unmake whatever choice she just made.

This is Max Caulfield
oigyP7V.jpg
She has just returned to Arcadia Bay, Oregon after five years to reunite with her friends Chloe and Rachel.

This is Chloe
SOOj0WA.jpg
Chloe lost her friend and her dad five years ago and hasn't really gotten over it.

Rachel Amber is missing, thought to have run away by everyone, but Chloe. Together, Max and Chloe will try to find Rachel and uncover the mysteries of her disappearance and of the town itself.

Screenshots
yWf3hVm.jpg

4wMIaZ4.jpg

VK8lTAC.jpg

SxBg4FX.jpg

Interview and Gameplay Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzdwnRICzao

Releases January 30th, 2015

http://store.steampowered.com/app/319630/

Man of the Waves on

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Still not played Remember Me yet (although we have it, just not got round to it yet), but I'm really happy Dontnot are getting another shot after the many positive things I've heard about that game. They may not have knocked it out the park on their first swing, but they sound like a studio who absolutely deserve a few chances to get it right. Really appreciate that they seem to be forging ahead with female leads, too.

forumsig.png
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    This looks exactly my kind of game based purely upon description and screenshots (can't watch trailer in work).

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Yeah, this looks like a game I want to own.

Probably helps that I actually really liked Remember Me, even if it did get a bit cheesy from time to time.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Want!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    Could someone please make an adventure/story game where the role of 'main person you're supposed to feel for' is not played by a young girl?

It is possible to care about other people.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Seems pretty cool. I liked Remember Me a fair amount and the stuff I didn't like was the platforming and the boss battles and I doubt that this has much of those. Although I guess the story in Remember Me also wasn't amazing and this seems pretty story focused.

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    Could someone please make an adventure/story game where the role of 'main person you're supposed to feel for' is not played by a young girl?

Yes. Too many female protagonists is definitely a problem that video games have. Absolutely.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    Yes that's exactly what I said, well read.

sig.gif
    Rami wrote: »

I know, if only we weren't limited to such a small range of games, like Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, Goodbye Deponia, The Cave, The Night of the Rabbit, Astroloco: Worst Contact, Fester Mudd: Curse of the Gold – Episode 1: A Fistful of Pocket Lint, The Capri Connection, The Last Door, The Wolf Among Us Episode 1, The Wolf Among Us Episode 2, The Wolf Among Us Episode 3, The Wolf Among Us Episode 4, The Wolf Among Us Episode 5, Bik, Lifeless Planet, The Fall, Murdered: Soul Suspect, Among the Sleep, Kentucky Route Zero Act I, Kentucky Route Zero Act II, Kentucky Route Zero Act III, The Entertainment, Ether One, Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure, Memento Mori 2: Guardians of Immortality, The Samaritan Paradox, Jazzpunk, The Inner World, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies, Papers, Please, Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs, The Walking Dead: 400 Days, Face Noir, and ASA: A Space Adventure. It's like holy shit if these are the only games with dudes in them how am I supposed to find any that I want to play? Especially because I'm fucking tired of empathizing with women and their women problems.

• Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Besides, Max and Chloe aren't prepubescent girls being put on by every adult in the zombie apocalypse.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    That's actually very interesting @Rami, I hadn't thought about it before... Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us... I'm sure there are more but I don't really feel like listing them all out. At this point I'm pretty sure it's a video game thing and won't be changing anytime soon. Movies do it too.

I loved Remember Me, faults and all. It was a great first game from a new development team. It also had the best graphics and music of 2013.

Life is Strange looks pretty good already, so I hope they nail the music again. Between their first game and Gone Home (which this has already been compared to), they'll need to step up their soundtrack game.

edited August 2014
    Wait... Why did you include Papers, Please? There are more than one person that you feel for in that game. Unless you're talking about just the protagonist.

I should say that I haven't played any of those games that you listed other than Papers, Please? so I'm not sure the correlation.

urahonky on
    Anyway... Before we diverge into a long discussion on this...

It's from Square Enix so I'm not sure how to feel about this. It's episodic... So if the first episode doesn't sell 12 million copies, does that mean we won't get episode 2?

urahonky wrote: »
    Wait... Why did you include Papers, Please? There are more than one person that you feel for in that game. Unless you're talking about just the protagonist.

I should say that I haven't played any of those games that you listed other than Papers, Please? so I'm not sure the correlation.
    Rami wanted "an adventure/story game where the role of 'main person you're supposed to feel for' is not played by a young girl" and Papers, Please is one of those.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I did have a whole think typed out to jump on the "WTF you talking 'bout" bandwagon. However, after careful consideration I think what @Rami was specifically talking about is when a game (ones in which the story is at the forefront) has a female lead it is often a young girl as opposed to an adult woman in an effort to better elicit sympathy from the player.

I think is a more likely view point as opposed to @Rami seriously believing the video game world is dominated by so many female leads you literally have to sweep them out in to the street, lest you find yourself buried.

edit- As to this game, it looks great and I am getting a wee bit of a Shenmue vibe. At least I hope I am. I love having a living world to run around in like Shenmue's.

Plus it takes place in a coastal town in Oregon, so you just know you're gonna be looking for sailors at some point.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    urahonky wrote: »
    Anyway... Before we diverge into a long discussion on this...

It's from Square Enix so I'm not sure how to feel about this. It's episodic... So if the first episode doesn't sell 12 million copies, does that mean we won't get episode 2?

The video mentioned that they already have a planned release schedule, but I guess it could conceivably be canned prematurely. I doubt SE put that much money into Dontnod and a new IP, though.

They also talk about how episodic games tend to generate more money based on people going back and buying previous episodes.

Axen wrote: »
    I did have a whole think typed out to jump on the "WTF you talking 'bout" bandwagon. However, after careful consideration I think what @Rami was specifically talking about is when a game (ones in which the story is at the forefront) has a female lead it is often a young girl as opposed to an adult woman in an effort to better elicit sympathy from the player.

I think is a more likely view point as opposed to @Rami seriously believing the video game world is dominated by so many female leads you literally have to sweep them out in to the street, lest you find yourself buried.

edit- As to this game, it looks great and I am getting a wee bit of a Shenmue vibe. At least I hope I am. I love having a living world to run around in like Shenmue's.

Plus it takes place in a coastal town in Oregon, so you just know you're gonna be looking for sailors at some point.
    I guess if we're ignoring Cognition: An Erika Reed Thriller, Shadows on the Vatican: Act I - Greed, Shadows on the Vatican: Act II - Wrath, The Blackwell Epiphany, Broken Sword 5: The Serpent’s Curse, 1954: Alcatraz, The Raven: Legacy of a Master Thief, and Memoria then yeah Rami has a point. I'm not sure why we are though.

Now you're making games up Tycho.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Not saying I agree with it, just saying I think that viewpoint is a bit more likely than "thars to many wumans in mah vidja gaems" viewpoint many of us (myself included) initially latched on to.

That viewpoint is more "You just haven't played enough games from the genre" as opposed to "WTF dude?!".

And I'm willing to give @Rami the benefit of the doubt that he just hasn't played or heard of all those games as opposed to him being a sexist ass.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    That sure is a lot of well known games you've listed. I suppose we shouldn't bother complaining about Hollywood's continued treatment of women as sex objects, of paying them less than men, of prioritising looks over other characteristics and not providing roles for women over 35. Because hey, there's probably like 1000 indie movies made by some college kids in shitsville that gave absolutely equal priority to women, and some of them might even have been seen by as many as 100 people! So that's that dealt with then.

It remains frustrating how quickly the pro-women brigade emerges to leap on anyone making any sort of comment that could possibly be construed as not 100% more women in every piece of media ever.

I'd like the engaging character (generally not the player character) in an 'emotion heavy' game that isn't a girl or young woman. Which in no way suggests I don't want female characters. Where's my gender reversed Booker/Elizabeth? Why are little sisters only sisters? Because nobody would give a shit about boys right? Gotta pick that vulnerable sex. The Last of Us, Tomb Raider, TWD, Beyond Two Souls etc.

It's great if you want to trawl through the super indie files that even 99% of 'gamers' will never hear about. But the big studios and the big budgets are still basically supporting extremely stereotyped female characters in the majority of cases. It's absolutely an easy way of eliciting sympathy from the players. And while I won't deny that some of these games are quite well written (at least in parts) a lot of these girls are largely interchangeable between them to be quite honest.

But anyway, it was an offhand comment I never should have made and I apologise.

sig.gif
    Life is Strange is up for preorder!

The game will release on the 30th of next month.

I am interested, but I don't know if I want to buy an episodic game before all the episodes are released.

French people playing ping-pong in slow motion in this first dev diary. So beware of spoilers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-lDFJH_IHc

• NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    "Square is the only publisher that didn't want to change a single thing about the game," he explained. "We had other publishers telling us, 'make it a male lead character.' Square didn't even question that once."
    Uggghhhhh, gross

Thank God they didn't have to sell out

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Well, they did sell out, to Square... Square just was the lesser of two evils.

And pretty much everything in the first part of the game (when establishing characters, setting, etc.) revolves around being a teenaged girl (and all the problems there-in), so I don't think those other publishers really looked at the story the game is trying to tell.

The game looks like "What if someone made a TellTale adventure game set in Dawson's Creek/Portlandia with the memory remix sections of Remember Me?" so far. So thumbs up. :D

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    How is that selling out?

They needed a publisher, and thankfully they didn't have to make compromises to get one

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Noggin wrote: »
    How is that selling out?

They needed a publisher, and thankfully they didn't have to make compromises to get one
    Because it's Square. :D It's a joke. Sorry.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Ah, well ya it is pretty weird that's it's square I guess.

We can be thankful they didn't put Lightning in the fine print.

I dunno. One of the girls has blue hair. Clearly this means Square is forcing their Japanese anime sensibilities on this game.

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    This game looks pretty interesting, but I think I'll need to see some reviews of the first ep at least. Remember Me's concept was stronger than the execution.

Good trailer, though.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    I found out about the game through this (Warning NSF people with sticks up their ass)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6qB4KHP-Tk

After reading into it, it seems like the kind of game I would enjoy. I'm keeping my eye on this one.

• Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    I dunno. One of the girls has blue hair. Clearly this means Square is forcing their Japanese anime sensibilities on this game.

That's EXACTLY what happened when another group of French people made Blue is the Warmest Color.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited January 2015

That's EXACTLY what happened when another group of French people made Blue is the Warmest Color.

"Do you like me, Emma-Onēsan?"

EDIT: Quite frankly, that video makes me want to buy the game just to spite the fuckwads that wrote such an awful, hateful thing. It's like, they wanted to make it look like they were doing parody, but it was just a spiteful hit job. The game itself looks really... nice? I dig the themes, though I'm a little burned on storytelling games after TWD Season 2.

Dracomicron on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I'm very much looking forward to this game. Hurry up end of the month!

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch

"Do you like me, Emma-Onēsan?"

EDIT: Quite frankly, that video makes me want to buy the game just to spite the fuckwads that wrote such an awful, hateful thing. It's like, they wanted to make it look like they were doing parody, but it was just a spiteful hit job. The game itself looks really... nice? I dig the themes, though I'm a little burned on storytelling games after TWD Season 2.

I'm hungry for story-telling games after playing TWD Season 2.

The second dev diary is all about time travel. Some neat stuff there about the rewind mechanic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72qCP0Sxk1A

The game's out tomorrow, so here's one last video about the music, the graphics and the voice acting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVkLdxAPPJ0