As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Pokemon League Aus 2014

philomglolphilomglol Melbourne, AUSRegistered User regular
edited October 2014 in PAX Australia
9f95q65ymy55.png

PAX AUS 2014 Gym Leader Application Form is now live!

What is the PAX Pokémon League?
The PAX Pokémon League is a weekend-long alternate reality game played at PAX!

Gym leaders wander the convention center halls, ready to battle upstart young challengers like you. Find them and defeat them in battle, and you'll receive their badge. If you can collect eight gym badges, you'll earn the right to find and challenge the Elite Four, and the Champion, for the right to be crowned champion yourself!

What do I need to participate?
To be a challenger, all that is required is a copy of Pokémon X or Pokémon Y, keen eyesight*, and a love of Pokémon Battle! Gym leaders will be all over this years PAX AUS, and can be identified by their bright green scarves. Approach them, challenge them to a battle, and if they deem you worthy, you'll earn their badge! No need to sign up or anything, just find a gym leader and start battling!

If you’d prefer to be more involved, we’re always on the lookout for dedicated Gym Leaders - you can submit your application with this handy-dandy Application Form.

If you have any questions, would like to learn more about PPL or anything else, please feel free to hit me up directly or head over to the PPL website! We even have photos of PPL East’s Champions.

A little more info...
This will be the first outing for the PAX Pokémon League in Aus. PPL began at PAX Prime 2010 by the dedicated Professor Pine, and with the support of dedicated Gym Leaders, the PAX Pokémon League has helped hundreds of challengers prove themselves in battle and earn countless badges. Note: This is not a tournament, PPLs focus is on fun! PPL has Gym Leaders of a variety of difficulty levels, and is open to all. Results may vary. If symptoms persist please see a Doctor.

*Note: Keen Eyesight only required to see neon green scarves in a sea of black t-shirts.

If, however, you want to know more about the league, join the community of challengers, and find information and hints that will help you locate and identify the gym leaders... well, you should visit http://www.paxPokemonleague.net where in the coming months we're going to be revealing leader profiles, detailed rules, and other fun things. We've also got a twitter account (@PAXPokemon) where gym leaders will often post their locations as they wander the con, and a Facebook group (http://www.facebook.com/pages/PAX-Pokemon-League/139432372766011) where if you like us you can see news and pictures from our Hall of Fame!

What are the rules?
The rules have been posted at http://paxPokemonleague.net/rules/

What do I win?
Those who conquer the league will win eternal glory as a champion, being immortalized in the Hall of Fame, along with respect from their peers, and the ability to be forced to sit through the game's credits sequence.

Also, there may be prizes...

That sounds awesome, can I help?
We are always looking for outgoing people interested in becoming leaders, but also artists and web developers interested in equipping PPL-ite to help make PPL bigger, shinier and more mega!! Details on leader applications will be posted in the very next post!

So, that's great, but what is this thread for?
This is the place to interact with challengers and leaders! We're always looking for cool ideas to improve the league, or input on rules that will help make the league more fun.

We also want to spread the word about the league! Tell us if you have any ideas about people we should talk to to get the word out.

If nothing else, we're always up for discussions about shorts and how comfy and easy to wear they are. Or we can talk about how our Rattata is in the top percentage of all Rattata....

You guys are cool people, can I hang out with you?
You sure can! Visit our forums, follow our twitter or like our facebook page!

EDIT: Applications to be a Gym Leader have closed, but anyone at PAX can be a challenger!

Love Pokemon? Coming to PAX Aus? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!
philomglol on

• MeiMemiMeiMemi WA, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    This sounds like fun, but seeing as theres a new pokemon out how will that change the current rules?

• philomglolphilomglol Melbourne, AUSRegistered User regular
    MeiMemi wrote: »
    how will that change the current rules?

The first three rules of PAX Pokemon League are focused on having fun, being nice and enriching the experience for others, so I do not think there will much deviation from the existing rules.

PPL is traditionally accommodating to all challengers, and the rules are really there to stop abuse.

Having said that, I'm not 100% how XY will impact the In-Depth Rules yet, these will be locked down prior to PAX East in March.

I imagine the new legendary Mon will be banned, and there may be additions to the limited-use list. I suspect Mega evolution will be allowed. Amie has no impact on PvP so shouldn't be an issue.

• FernurionFernurion Registered User regular
    Sweet! Let's make this happen!

Like last year, I'll defiantly be a participant, and may put my hand up to be a gym leader. We'll see how thing pan out close to the event.
    Already got my pass, Woo!

I got my three day pass sorted as well. It's a shame 3 day passes sold out so quickly!

If you're interested Fernurion, I'll pop you on my list of potentials!

Any other lurkers, please feel free to put your hand up if you're keep to be involved in any way :)

• MeiMemiMeiMemi WA, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I'll be happy to help out in anyway, If you do put me as a leader I will warn you Im obsessed with Fairy types :P

The updated PPL rules in prep for March should be finalized shortly.

Hopefully the Pokemon Financial Crisis will be over shortly too :(

Just a quick update that the Rules for PAX East 2014 have been released!

Short version is a few bans (Speed Boosted Blaz, Mega Kangashan and others), and weather is allowed!

Also if you're keen on PPL, the East Krew as I like to call them recently appeared on the http://www.abriefescape.com/ podcast talking about PPL!

Exclaimation!

Cool. Those changes make sense, especially putting some restrictions on megas. Nobody wants to spend all weekend fighting off endless Mega Kangaskhans.

Almost certain I'll be able to help out as a leader now, just gotta sort out some podcast related stuff. Planning out my team using the best type of all; Steel!

I've got a squillion different mono-type teams that I'm breeding for at the moment - decisions, decisions!

• punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    Last year I ran into Liam from Bulbapedia and he said he'd definitely be able to help find gym leaders for the aus PPL. I can't find his card right now, but I think this is him: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/User:Archaic

HI3789R.png
    edited March 2014
    Thanks Punzie!

I've reached out to @Archaic‌ already on Twitter, as he's involved in Pirate Party Australia, plus I've emailed him about being involved in PPL AUS. The more Liam and/or yourself want to be involved, the better I say :smile: I am waiting until Post PAX East before PPL AUS begins a movin' however.

Speaking of PAX East, I'm also watching the PAX East PPL Team who are currently organising the biggest PPL ever (!!!), and we're definitely going to need good people for gym leaders. PAX East has a pretty massive following already from previous years, but a majority of participants still hear/see/learn about PPL by interacting with a GL at PAX.

philomglol on
  • Hyper1Hyper1 Registered User new member
    edited March 2014
    My brother is Keen to become a gym leader or part of the elite four, any pre reqs for being one of those?

either way I will link him to the site

Hyper1 on
    Hi Hyper, I am pleased to hear this! No prerequisites (except perhaps parental consent if under 18), mentioned above - PAX Pokemon Leagues focus is fun first.

There are a few commitments asked of gym leaders, however.

PPL hasn't opened up leader applications yet for PAX AUS, but the forums are active right now for PAX EAST next month and definitely a good place to sign up and join in!

I'm checking here frequently and noting down usernames of people interested too

PAX EAST 14 is complete! Hall of Famers have been posted up over on the Official PPL website, how happy do those guys look?

In the interest of transparency, we're going to be opening up Gym Leader applications next month, and I hope everyone here who's expressed interest pops back up :)

• GuthyGuthy Registered User new member
    edited May 2014
    G'day i went to Pax Aus last year and am also going this year and id love to put my hand up as a gym leader.
    when we apply as a gym leader is there any format you want us to use eg like type of gym, pokemon used, gym battle type..ect?
    better hold on to your hats when you see my Normals Gym team ;)

Guthy on
    Normals eh? The most overlooked type of all. That'll be awesome!

Take a look at this thread over on the PPL forums. This is the application form that was used for East and should give you an idea of what to expect when applications open up.

• GuthyGuthy Registered User new member
    thanks for that Fernurion.

gives me a head start on my application, really appreciate it bud.

@Guthy‌, we're actually planning opening up the leader applications later this month! But yes @Fernurion‌ has hooked you up in the right place, he's doin' my job for me :) We're going to be opening up the PPL AUS forum thread over there around the same time as well.

To answer your questions in this thread; yes, yes, yes and yes. And monotype is highly encouraged!

My hat is thoroughly in both hands.

• ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    Hi, I'm Propriety, I run PPL East. I just want to pop in here and say that Phil and I have been in discussion for a while, and I really want to help PPL expand to Aus! It's going to need a dedicated group of Gym Leaders to help out, though! So if you're interested, please read up on what the goals of the PPL are and apply to be a gym leader!

That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
    Oh hey @Propriety‌, Welcome to the Aussie side.

Glad to help guys. The more people participating in this the better it will be. For now though, I'm going to keep staring at twitter and the PPL site until the applications open up . :p

• Ripley2517Ripley2517 Registered User new member
    Hey guys I live in in Australia and I would love to get involved with the PPL

edited May 2014
    Applications now open! Link is in the OP :) Scroll up!

philomglol on
    edited May 2014
    Editted away!

philomglol on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I hope this is super successful :)

edited May 2014
    Application away!

Edit to save a double post: I don't normally put much stock in Kotaku, considering it a yellow rag below even the trash you find on supermarket impulse stands, but they did a brief article about PPL Aus here

Fernurion on
    I just saw the Kotaku article! It's pretty cool we got a mention. :D We'll take whatever press we can get.

Applications are open, everyone, so any gym leader hopefuls, make sure you get them submitted! Don't delay!

Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
    Thanks @Fernurion‌! Hate to give the goat away, but seeing as your frog looks like it's already wearing Prop's scarf, you're all but confirmed..

I don't read Kotaku daily, I'm glad Junglist‌ took my submission to heart and gave us a write up! :smile:

Just a quick reminder that applications will close at the end of June!

Also big ups to the people who've submitted applications already!!

• WallStarWallStar The one... the only... the slightly overrated... CannonvaleRegistered User regular
    THIS SOUNDS AWESOME!!
    I'm def keen to be involved. Better get my X & Y games out again! :smiley:

Welcome WallStar, Get on that sign up wagon!

Also how freaking good is PAX?!

Hope you people are applying! Less than two weeks left to get your applications in!

The more the merrier!

Hi Everyone, just a reminder that as Propriety and I mention above, applications close in one weeks time!

That's also roughly when we'll be informing the successful Gym Leaders about their.. uhh.. success?! So don't dawdle! Sign up now

We especially need people who will be around for more than one day! There's got to be more gym leaders in Australia! Get those applications in!

• WallStarWallStar The one... the only... the slightly overrated... CannonvaleRegistered User regular
    philomglol wrote: »
    Welcome WallStar, Get on that sign up wagon!

Also how freaking good is PAX?!

This will be my first, so I think I'll just be a participator at the moment, but whoever thought of this - I need to buy them a drink.
    - OMG I'M SO EXCITED!

Just a quick post while I'm passing through, I'll leave it to @philomglol‌ to do a proper update when he gets around to it.

Emails for the Gym leaders have gone out, so don't forget the check your inbox if you applied B)

Thanks @Fernurion‌!

Yes everyone just a note that we've selected our leaders from what honestly was way more submissions than I was expecting for our first time!

If you like the sound of what you read above however, just walk around PAX and keep your eyes peeled for a bright green scarf!!

Planning and organization for Aus is proceeding! Full speed ahead! :D

We'll be revealing gym leaders in advance of Aus, probably sometime in late September, so keep an eye out for that! Lots to do, lots to do.

If I don't have a fully pimped out team is there still going to be point in me playing? Like, are there going to be varying levels to go up against?

That's the best bit about this, you don't need to have a fully pimped team! The leaders come in a wide range of skill levels and difficulties, and have teams with vulnerabilities built in, such as monotype or theme teams. There is also the human element, which is a big thing that the games lack. Without unveiling too much here (too soon ;) ), here's the ideals behind my team:

Desired difficulty: medium
    -Monotype team
    -2 reserves to allow flexible difficulty
    -Do not focus on IV breeding, beyond getting non-zero IV's

So before you even challenge me, you have the advantage of knowing what types I will be weak to, so you can change up your team to exploit that. Also remember that I will have no idea what you will be challenging with. I can adjust my team to increase or decrease it's difficulty by swapping in the reserves. And finally, not focusing on IV breeding means you can bring whatever you want without too much preparation ahead of time (though I will likely be spanked up and down the hall by those who do). Other leaders will of course have different ideals, strategies, skill levels and of course, pokemon.

Remember, though we won't make it easy for you, we WANT you to win. If you don't succeed the first time, you can always come back later and ask for a rematch, the second battle will likely be completely different from your first.

In short, you don't need a team of pimped up uberness, just bring your 3ds and your favorite 'pokes and you will be prepared to win yourself some badges.

Finally, I wanted to share this article with you. Kotaku has done an excellent write up on just what the league is all about.