As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WARMACHINE & HORDES] 1+1=Cyriss is calculating... calculating... seven! And you're dead.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    admanb has it. IMO, some of the guesswork hidden information is among the dumber rules in the game (seriously, not knowing if you are being engaged is the epitome of silly-goosery). But yeah, you only check once the effect is in motion.

• Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    It's a good rule, because if everyone knew the range of everything all the time, it would eliminate a lot of guesswork and things would get pretty boring. The risk factor is hugely decreased.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    I disagree, because I'm not advocating ALL hidden information should be gone. However you should really be able to tell if your own models are being engaged before you try and move away or shoot or anything else that messes with.

• Options
    UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I'll be honest, I am a big fan of premeasuring, and I wish WM/H had it. I take more time hemming and hawing over whether something is in range than if I could just go ahead and measure and get the game on with. For me, range guessing adds nothing to the game, other than making it more difficult for people that are less talented at it and increasing turn length.
    That said, I understand lots of gamers like it, and the current WM/H ruleset is built and balanced with it in mind, so I won't hold it against the game.
    And, in some games, no premeasuring does make sense to me, like X-Wing movement.

But all that aside, I definitely agree with ArticLancer that there is some info that just seems silly not to have access to ...

EDIT: I am assuming Geth gave me a Hail Hydra? since he has perfect range measuring skills.

UreshiiAkuma on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    In our group we're open about what stuff can do, and we start games by going through our list and saying if there's anything special ("these guys have Reach and Berserk" etc).

We also put a token for stealth by units with stealth, because that's a bastard to remember and we kept planning fancy maneuvers that then got thwarted by the target having stealth. We'll probably skip those when we get better at knowing what has stealth.

(screw you pDenny)

• Options
    Well, that's one way to get 12" round zones.

"1 CP for controlling Led Zeppelin, 2 CP for dominating."

zuuZXNc.jpg

• Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    In our group we just tell you. I hate playing the "gotcha" game that some of the hidden information rules encourage. We don't premeasure or anything, but if you ask me "Is that dude being destroyed by your control area power?" I'll tell you.

Nealneal on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    This weekend I'm going to finally have the time to sit down and work on fixing my Stormwall (repinning the arms and figuring out how to fix the right leg).

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Oh god Helga has Field Marshal Gang Fighter.

RAZOR BOARS MAKE SENSE NOW!

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    Here's all the spoilers for the released at GenCon locks and Neraph: http://imgur.com/a/MkrEi

"I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I AM INCREDIBLY HYPE ABOUT HELGA AND JAGA JAGA

• Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Selling everything. Buying Legion. Playing Absylonia forever.

• Options
    That circle lock is going to get people DQed with his feat.

Mainly with forgetting to do the end of turn part

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    That circle lock is going to get people DQed with his feat.

Mainly with forgetting to do the end of turn part

Or they could say "I chose 0 inches".

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Looking at Skorne again, haven't seen them in years. Catachapract Incindiarii are the tits, Archidon makes the Gladiator less of a must and Bronzebacks one-shotting anything never gets old.

And Xerxis2 looks very fun.

EDIT: 35 pts easy list:

Xerxis, Fury of Halaak (*5pts)
    * Basilisk Krea (4pts)
    * Archidon (7pts) (Bonded)
    * Tiberion (11pts)
    Cataphract Incindiarii (Leader and 3 Grunts) (6pts)
    Nihilators (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
    Paingiver Beast Handlers (Leader and 3 Grunts) (2pts)
    Mortitheurge Willbreaker (2pts)

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    Xerxis 2 looks really damn good. With Mobility he's basically Speed 9, With that and Rush Molik is speed 10, add ignite and enrage and he's also P+S17

"I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
  • Options
    What's with Troll players now? They look like the pre-Stormwall Cygnar community.

• Options
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Aka complain a lot. Trollbloods didn't had that feeling of being underpowered.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    I can already tell that Despoiler will be a complete bastard to transport in one piece.

• Options
    Ugh, these lanterns.

BvBvt7tIgAAk641.jpg:large

• Options
    Yikes. I suggest pinning or magnets, those things just scream "I'm going to break while on the suitcase".

Have read of people having success with magnetizing The Harbringer's flag.

• Options
    They're too small to pin easily. I've used epoxy putty rather than glue to attach them to the back, we'll see how they stay on.

• Options
    Man, no way. I pinned the stacks in Rahn's back and the strike force crossbows. Those lanterns can be done!
    (Hope the putty works for you though)

• Options
    If it doesn't hold, I think I'll fill the slots on the back with greenstuff and trim down the tabs on the lantern thingies, should give me enough space to pin them.

• Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    I proxied the Neraph in a couple of games today. I ran it with Absylonia1 both times because I thought it would be a great target for Playing God, but I found it likes Forced Evolution better. Coil + multiple automatically hitting P+S 18 attacks = very dead Avatar. Not bad for a 7 point model. The animus is fun too, I used it to pull some shield-walled Iron Fangs out of formation so my Scythean could eat them, clearing room for Absylonia to fly over to Irusk and say hi. I'm really looking forward to trying it out with some other warlocks now.

• Options
    DrakeRaids057DrakeRaids057 Registered User regular
    Xerxis 2 is amazing. Like, just amazing. My ninja managed to get one for me and I can't wait to put him on the table! And he buffs ranged attacks! He buffs ranged attacks in Skorne! I love it! He's basically everything I like in a caster, massive personal threat, solid spell list that synergizes with tons of options. Seriously, the guy makes me want to put Ferox on the table. Ferox!

Re, Despoiler: the despoiler being so spindly and break prone is one of the things holding me back from picking one up, that and I have no void spirits, so the despoiler actually costs about twice as much as he appears to get the full use out of him .-.

The trollblood community is kind of a meme by this point. They like to insist their faction is underpowered and not competitive, everyone else is better, and none of their models or casters are any good and need a Harby or ehaley release to make them competitive. It's particularly bad in the PP forums to the point that most troll blooded players I know just don't go there at all

• Options
    This weekend I'm going to finally have the time to sit down and work on fixing my Stormwall (repinning the arms and figuring out how to fix the right leg).

Stormwall's arms repinned (ran a rod through the torso to connect them both to). Apparently had already fixed the leg

• Options
    Today I pinned and assembled Makeda2, Zaal, Tyrant Rhadeim on foot and Morghoul2.

Damn FLGS sales.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Epic Xerxis has been assembled and is now eagerly awaiting table time. He's a little smaller then I expected.

DrakeRaids057 on
  • Options
    http://youtu.be/6AhL7qR7QG4

Ouch. 75 pts game. Assasination on turn 2.

Either I'm missing something, or the Trollblood player overextended his Warlock badly.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Yeah. He's an awesome player but even awesome players make dumb mistakes sometimes. He latter had some comments on the game kicking around the pp forums. I think he partially chalked it up to a mixture of simple mistakes and unfamiliarity

DrakeRaids057 on
  • Options
    I winced when I saw his warlock had one fury and a single champion on front of him when he was in range of two colossals

• Options
    edited August 2014
    I winced when I saw his warlock had one fury and a single champion on front of him when he was in range of two colossals

You can hear the "he's screwing up" tone from DC when he points out the one fury thing. Speaking off, why the CEO and the Development Manager of the company are the commentators? I mean, I get the whole "being close to the fans" and all of that, but is so weird.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »

You can hear the "he's screwing up" tone from DC when he points out the one fury thing. Speaking off, why the CEO and the Development Manager of the company are the commentators? I mean, I get the whole "being close to the fans" and all of that, but is so weird.

Because everyone else in the company is busy making sure the tournament doesn't explode.

And they'll never let anyone outside the company do it.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I'm finally making the jump into Warmachine, 'cause Cephalyx as a faction seems to have mindmushed my ability to not take out my wallet.

Along with the rulebook, I'm getting:
    Exulon Thexus, Cephalyx Warcaster (1)
    Subduer/Warden/Wrecker Cephalyx Heavy Monstrosity
    Cephalyx Mind Slaver and Drudges Unit Box (10)
    Cephalyx Agitator Solo (1)
    Cephalyx Dominator Unit Attachment (1)

I just want to assemble a decent starting force - is this not too terribad?

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    You'll want something for the Dominator to attach to, though.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    I'm finally making the jump into Warmachine, 'cause Cephalyx as a faction seems to have mindmushed my ability to not take out my wallet.

Along with the rulebook, I'm getting:
    Exulon Thexus, Cephalyx Warcaster (1)
    Subduer/Warden/Wrecker Cephalyx Heavy Monstrosity
    Cephalyx Mind Slaver and Drudges Unit Box (10)
    Cephalyx Agitator Solo (1)
    Cephalyx Dominator Unit Attachment (1)

I just want to assemble a decent starting force - is this not too terribad?

Small games are great for learning the game, but once you have the hang of things you'll want a 35pt force. Cephalyx are a subset of the mercenaries faction, so you're building from a very limited pool of choices. That means that sometimes you'll run up against a hard counter. Is you like the game you can expand your cephalyx into mercs (more options for your dominator) or into cryx (mind slavers and overlords are allowed in cryx armies).

Starting in cephalyx, you'll probably want one of everything pretty quickly. Especially the mind bender unit. The dominator needs a mercenary unit. If you're good at model assembly, nyss hunters are a decent generalist choice. Boomhowler and co are also good, and easier to put together. You'll want a total of about three of the monstrosity kits pretty soon as well.

Tldr: it's a good starting point. No bad purchases. Things won't really come together until you have a few more things though.

Do you have a friend who plays? They can help you learn and play small games for a bit. Otherwise try to track down a local press ganger to help you.

• Options
    I think Thexus plus one of each kind of monstrosity is 15 points on the spot.