As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[League of Legends] Our Final Boss is not the biggest bad

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    The very idea of Riot adding another ranked ladder for anything is laughable... :'(

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    There are quite a few reasons why there should not be ranked team builder.

1) They already have ranked 5v5 on the SR map for both solo queue and organized teams. No reason to cannibalize that.
    2) It's blind pick with no bans, so lacks the competitive strategy that regular ranked 5v5 has.
    3) Team builder uses different matchmaking for every role you pick to try to give you fair games based on your experience with the roles/champs. This would be hell to try to deal with for giving a ranking.

Just because there's no ranked doesn't doom teambuilder to fail long term. ARAMs don't have ranked either. It's just a different thing. I have personally replaced blind normals with teambuilder entirely for my own self, because I only ever play normals when I want to play something I don't want to take into ranked anyway and even if I have a slightly longer queue time I'd rather deal with that than having to try to insta lock what i'm trying to get and have teammates rage because they couldn't instalock as fast.

• skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Ironically, I think Team Builder has more or less eliminated the people that rage over instalocking, so it's win/win.

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • TheSmackerTheSmacker Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    There are quite a few reasons why there should not be ranked team builder.

1) They already have ranked 5v5 on the SR map for both solo queue and organized teams. No reason to cannibalize that.
    2) It's blind pick with no bans, so lacks the competitive strategy that regular ranked 5v5 has.
    3) Team builder uses different matchmaking for every role you pick to try to give you fair games based on your experience with the roles/champs. This would be hell to try to deal with for giving a ranking.

Just because there's no ranked doesn't doom teambuilder to fail long term. ARAMs don't have ranked either. It's just a different thing. I have personally replaced blind normals with teambuilder entirely for my own self, because I only ever play normals when I want to play something I don't want to take into ranked anyway and even if I have a slightly longer queue time I'd rather deal with that than having to try to insta lock what i'm trying to get and have teammates rage because they couldn't instalock as fast.

I think it would be awesome if you could select a role and maybe three "Preferred" champions for ranked (So the captain has an idea what you like to play), then once the teams are full just go through picks/bans just like a normal game. There are some issues there (Does the captain still pick the "meta" of the team? Is there a limit on kicking players so you can't just stack the team?). From my little ranked experience, one of the biggest issues is when someone doesn't get the role they want, they will spend the entire game berating whoever DID get that role for any mistake, so it seems like eliminating that could help the toxicity levels a bit. On the other hand, that opens up the whole "I can't believe you're so terrible at ____ role and you pick it in teambuilder" situation.

There are some other things that would need to be addressed (Do you have to play a "preferred" champ if they're available?), but overall i'd like to see the game move towards having the teams as defined as possible before you're under the timer in champ select.

*Edit* Just to be clear i'm talking about a system that would replace the current ranked system, not a separate ranked teambuilder queue.

TheSmacker on
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Is Zliean mid actually good or is it as awful as I remember it always being?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
  • LilleDjevelLilleDjevel Registered User regular
    First teambuilder game in ages, first time I see a Gnar too.

Gnar loses lane vs gp starts crying that gp counters him and then starts walking down lanes to feed..... I don't get why some people bother to wake up.

Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,
    'til there's Fire in the Sky...

steam_sig.png
  • imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    I'm having a hard time playing ADC - i -really- want to get proficient with it, but I'm never quite sure what i should be doing. I tend to eat a ton of harass while i go to last hit, and then when its time to team fight I always feel like I'm hitting people with wet noodles.

• WhiteSharkWhiteShark Registered User regular
    imdointhis wrote: »
    I'm having a hard time playing ADC - i -really- want to get proficient with it, but I'm never quite sure what i should be doing. I tend to eat a ton of harass while i go to last hit, and then when its time to team fight I always feel like I'm hitting people with wet noodles.

ADC is in my opinion the most difficult role to play mechanically. Your damage in teamfights is extremely dependent both on your positioning and on your CS. If you haven't farmed enough to hurt you will feel underwhelming, and similarly if you get chased/chunked out of a teamfight early because you were standing too close to their damage. The ability to stutter step (moving during your auto cooldowns) is also absolutely mandatory, otherwise you might as well be playing a melee.

Laning is similarly difficult and also very support dependent (not that you should get in the mindset of blaming your support for things). It's hard to give advice without having seen your play but I recommend watching some of the ADC pros who stream and watching how they play. If you truly want to improve I also recommend going into customs by yourself and just trying to CS for the first 10 minutes. If you get every creep up to and including the wave that arrives at about 10 minutes then you should have 107 CS. You can also use these practices to work on your stutter stepping between autos and gettin ga feel for your attack speed at different levels.

• dasnoobdasnoob ArkansasRegistered User regular
    First teambuilder game in ages, first time I see a Gnar too.

Gnar loses lane vs gp starts crying that gp counters him and then starts walking down lanes to feed..... I don't get why some people bother to wake up.

I've seen Gnar in about half a dozen games. The only time I saw Gnar win lane was blind pick when top lane was Gnar vs. Gnar.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Just had a Gnar in my game. He lost lane against Garren hard, but came back strong in the mid game (when I started dragging him around with me letting him leach some of my farm) and ended up being very strong late game.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Gnar's problem is while his W steroid and Q poke should make him good versus melee, his AA range is so abysmal that unless the enemy is one of the few pure melee that has no way to close distance, he's still in threat range most of the time, and frankly without his transform he's pretty weak in yordle form.

I tend to not play league for about a week after a new champ is out so most of the super toxi playerbase is done failing at them, sadly with the new 7.8k ip price that 1 week is to short sadly...

And well I don't get the dude in my last game he was so mad and screaming that we would fail etc. I was 5-0 veigar mid, Vi crushing the jungle like mundo was level 5 and vi was level 8 and bot was a fed Vayne thanks to all the Vi ganks...

So when he saw that we crushed the other team 4v5 when he was afk he started to force feed kills to the other team....

Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,

steam_sig.png
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Ugh

50 minute ranked game

We were super ahead until Zac decided to hard engage under the enemy tower 3 times in a row, turning a 8k gold lead into a 3k gold deficit when the enemy team has Vayne and Ziggs

Now we can't push, can't win fights, and the few fights we do win we can't take any objectives off it

Just had to miserably stall until we finally killed their carries in one fight at the end and pushed to win off that

All because someone stole jungle from me

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Stragint wrote: »

Zilean mid vs something that isn't tanky or has sustain can become utterly brutal. He can tower dive as he likes, harass like no one else, and if he ever gets chalice and blue he'll bomb mid to submission before going and doing it to all the other lanes with perma 450 movespeed.

Vic_Hazard on
  • RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Vi + Yasuo must be best buds. That R+Q combo sets up Yas so nicely. Won a 4v5 in ranked yesterday from just instantly deleting the opposing Ezreal every teamfight.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Vic_Hazard wrote: »
    Stragint wrote: »

Zilean mid vs something that isn't tanky or has sustain can become utterly brutal. He can tower dive as he likes, harass like no one else, and if he ever gets chalice and blue he'll bomb mid to submission before going and doing it to all the other lanes with perma 450 movespeed.

Plus even if he doesn't win lane he's still got his OP passive helping out every other lane and free guardian angels to deploy in teamfights.

• DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    WhiteShark wrote: »

ADC is in my opinion the most difficult role to play mechanically. Your damage in teamfights is extremely dependent both on your positioning and on your CS. If you haven't farmed enough to hurt you will feel underwhelming, and similarly if you get chased/chunked out of a teamfight early because you were standing too close to their damage. The ability to stutter step (moving during your auto cooldowns) is also absolutely mandatory, otherwise you might as well be playing a melee.

Laning is similarly difficult and also very support dependent (not that you should get in the mindset of blaming your support for things). It's hard to give advice without having seen your play but I recommend watching some of the ADC pros who stream and watching how they play. If you truly want to improve I also recommend going into customs by yourself and just trying to CS for the first 10 minutes. If you get every creep up to and including the wave that arrives at about 10 minutes then you should have 107 CS. You can also use these practices to work on your stutter stepping between autos and gettin ga feel for your attack speed at different levels.

I practice stutter stepping while csing. Always move between attacks early on.

It does help to rebind your keys though, attack move is key.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Gnar really needs fully defensive runes and masteries to not explode in lane, I think. His range and base stats as Mini Gnar are absolutely atrocious and a big chunk of his damage isn't based on his offensive stats so he can afford to avoid them.

I'm seeing a lot of Gnars go for a marksman build and then acting surprised when they go 0/10/0 in lane.

Roz wrote: »
    Vi + Yasuo must be best buds. That R+Q combo sets up Yas so nicely. Won a 4v5 in ranked yesterday from just instantly deleting the opposing Ezreal every teamfight.

As somebody who loves Yasuo oh so much, there's no other champ i'd rather see than Vi on my team with him. Her knockup is just so telegraphed that it's impossible to be surprised with it. When I play him, I inevitably miss a Darius Hook, a Vayne condemn or whatever else could set up my ult and then my team is like Yasuo pls. But with Vi you basically can't miss it so it's a tag team of best buddies.

Talith, I think we should rename Light Fighters to Fragile Hyper Carries. It is way more accurate.

Talith, I think we should rename Light Fighters to Fragile Hyper Carries. It is way more accurate.

But does that fit Trynda?

Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,

steam_sig.png

But I like the term Light Fighter and hate the term Hyper Carry and even ADC which is why I throw the term marksman around.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular

The first rule of robotics ADC is this:
    DO NOT DIE. Don't die. Stay alive. Do not under any circumstances die. More important than "Am I doing enough damage" is "Am I dead". Bruisers and Assassins can jump in, unload their kit, and then basically serve as a lump of meat until their cooldowns are up again, and that's what they're supposed to do. ADCs do less damage than a bruiser up front, but they are just a constant damage output that never stops or dips.

That's probably why you feel like you hit like a wet noodle in teamfights. Despite having unreasonably high damage, ADCs don't just melt the opponent, they chip away at them constantly. So if you're used to playing an assassin or big chunky bruiser where you blow your abilities and take away 75% of your opponents health in seconds, well, you're not going to do that as ADC unless you're massively fed. Also if you're behind then you might actually be hitting like a wet noodle(LW and BoRK get more effective the more behind you are, btw, since they scale somewhat on your opponent than yourself. Also in lower levels people will be more likely to build 100% from a guide instead of making decisions, so if they're ahead will just build armour if they're a "tank character").

That's also why assassins jump on the ADC so hard normally. Because let's say there's a 10 second teamfight, and we have hypothetical Assassin, and hypothetical ADC. Hypothetical Assassin does, let's say, 1000 damage immediately, and 600 damage 8 seconds in(we'll assume they used their ultimate or something). So 1600 in 10 seconds. The ADC does 100 damage every half second, plus let's say 100 extra at the beginning and at 6 seconds in. So 200 every second, so over 10 seconds they do 2200 total. Obviously that's a lot more damage overall, but now assume that they both die 5 seconds in. Now the ADC has done 1100 damage and the Assassin has done 1000 damage, so the ADC is above the assassin, but only barely. Now let's say they both die 2 seconds in. Now the ADC is doing 500 total and the assassin is still doing 1000. And as the fight goes on beyond 10 seconds, the Assassin falls farther and farther and farther behind.

So then the problem for the ADC is maybe they only have 1000 health and the assassin's combo takes one second to execute. Also, that 100 damage may add up, but each hit isn't really going to feel that satisfying. Plus, now let's say the Assassin is trying to kill someone with 1000 health and the ADC is trying to kill someone with 3000 health. Sure the ADC will do it overall faster than the assassin, but it's not going to feel damaging ever.

Also, if you're getting harassed, harass them back. I know personally as soon as I see either the other support or other ADC not return an AA or an ability I will mercilessly attack them and poke them. Because then it's free. They're going for a minion? AA, they're just repositioning? AA. They're dropping a ward? Q(Or whatever which champ I'm playing has its harass ability on) and AA. I can possibly land anything? Do it. They're either not going to be able to CS at all or I'll be able to All-in and get kills because they're down to 50% and I'm at 100%.

ADC is all about doing as much damage as you possible safely can. Anything you see that makes you think you're safe while doing damage means you should be doing damage. Anything that makes you feel not safe means you need to get safe.

• Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    When you're a new adc screw targeting or focus firing. Keep yourself at range from the closest enemy and keep your fire up. If their alistar walks towards you kite away and keep attacking. Just attack whoever and keep yourself at range.

It's also preferable to do no damage for 3 seconds compared to getting hit by AoEs.

• MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    If you want to learn to harass properly as an ADC, try to play Cait for a few games. (Yes, I know she's boring, but bear with me.) On her, your goal is to zone the enemy adc, ie every time they step forward to get a creep, they also take one of your shots to the face. While you maintain perfect cs yourself.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    MrGrimoire wrote: »
    If you want to learn to harass properly as an ADC, try to play Cait for a few games. (Yes, I know she's boring, but bear with me.)

Man, I used to really like playing Cait until they nerfed her attack speed.

Sounds a bit silly but it made her feel much less fluid to me.

I hate playing most Marksmen in general, there's something so weird about their attack animation that just makes it feel like i'm playing in molasses. Most ADCs don't feel fluid or responsive until I've got attack speed boots, or some sort of attack speed modifier.

There are only two where that is not the case: Kog'Maw and Corki. The two carries I actually enjoy playing. Corki's AA animation in particular just feel so solid and snappy.

I think Corki, MF, and Varus all have good AA animations. Also Tristana if you use the rocketeer skin or whatever it's called. With the first 3 part of it is they also have on hit steroids that make CSing with them just a tiny bit easier early game so that may be part of it too.

Just played a Veigar game with a teammate on Rammus. I felt super sorry for the enemy team and totally understand why one of them rage quit.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    @

ADC is probably my favorite role to play and also my most inconsistent. I just had to accept that I can't main ADC.

I think I'd probably have made it to gold if I just stopped playing adc

steam_sig.png
  • DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    Khavall wrote: »

The first rule of robotics ADC is this:
    DO NOT DIE. Don't die. Stay alive. Do not under any circumstances die. More important than "Am I doing enough damage" is "Am I dead". Bruisers and Assassins can jump in, unload their kit, and then basically serve as a lump of meat until their cooldowns are up again, and that's what they're supposed to do. ADCs do less damage than a bruiser up front, but they are just a constant damage output that never stops or dips.

ok going to make a really small addition here. The true goal of an adc in a fight is to maximize your damage as you explained. While staying alive is important sometimes it is impossible. It is a hard thing to learn but sometimes you have to cut your dps loss and just start autoing. This is especially true mid game where your dps really isn't carry level yet.

I have seen many instances of adc's just running away without contributing much if at all to the fight. Your first priority as an adc is to stay alive. The second is to do the most damage possible. Finding that balance is very hard.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    all this advice is well and good but nobody has mentioned the real key

play urgod and crush the tiny fleeing fools beneath ur mechanical noodle legs

obF2Wuw.png
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    all this advice is well and good but nobody has mentioned the real key

play urgod and crush the tiny fleeing fools beneath ur mechanical noodle legs

But

Valor, to me

SQUAAK

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Man now I want to play ADC which means losing ELO

steam_sig.png
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    Oh right, no ranked queue. That would explain the complete futility in trying to play normals without facing 5 diamonds.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Finally bought Yasuo!

I am not the best Yasuo.

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    play urgod and you might as well not have an ult at level 6, or have any mana for abilities without dropping offensive stats for mana items in the early game

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • WhiteSharkWhiteShark Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    play urgod and you might as well not have an ult at level 6, or have any mana for abilities without dropping offensive stats for mana items in the early game

???

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    So I own Lee Sin and Vi already, I guess I should be Evelynn and learn to play her, as she's another of the god tier junglers right now.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
This discussion has been closed.