As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PA Comic] Monday, August 18, 2014 - Mr. Popularity

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited August 2014 in The Penny Arcade Hub

image[PA Comic] Monday, August 18, 2014 - Mr. Popularity

Mr. Popularity

Mr. Popularity

http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2014/08/18

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• The AfromanThe Afroman Registered User regular
    Right here. This right here.. This is something that would drive me mad!!

XBL//The Afroman
    PSN//The_Afroman
    Twitter//@theafroman
    Google+//http://gplus.to/TheAfroman
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I have like, 2,000 unread emails.

Damn college won't stop bothering me...

• Lingering GrinLingering Grin Registered User regular
    Gotta love the random Disney Sticker book right in the middle of all his aps. lol

• SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    this is the most right gabe has ever been

• NukeninNukenin Registered User new member
    Select all.
    Mark as read.

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    My Yahoo account is at 99,999+ unread emails right now, but that's also the email I give out when I sign up for free shit. I even clean it out every now and then!

• NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    14,100 unread over here

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    So, if you ever met Tycho at PAX or somewhere and thought you could be pals and e-mailed him, know that he will never see it. You have a better shot of getting a reply from the FSM.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    The horror...

If I had that many unread emails, I'd just abandon the account.

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    The horror...

If I had that many unread emails, I'd just abandon the account.
    It looks like he already has.

sig.gif
  • JormungandrJormungandr Registered User regular
    my main account has 9,963 unread mail. The vast majority of that is junk, although I'm sure there's an important email or two in there that I've missed. I keep up with it, but I don't always delete out junk mail, and it builds up over time.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I have a couple thousand "unread emails" but that is because Gmail insists on counting all the useless stuff in the "Social" and "Promotions" tabs of my inbox... and every app I have for my phone that shows unread counts does the same thing.

Mildly annoying. But my sister has a habit of walking around with a "new voicemail" notification on her phone, and when I point it out to her she says, "Oh, I know what it is." And she'll leave it there for weeks. Which makes me grind my teeth.

• WhelmedWhelmed Registered User regular
    Yeah I have 7,500 on my iPhone display which I used to feel bad about since it also drives my friends crazy to see it on my screen, but now I feel like I'm doing pretty well comparatively. Thanks, Penny Arcade!

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'm at seven unread and that bothers me.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    mine is at 133...

I really have to remind myself that once the number gets to a certain height, you're essentially forfeiting functionality. When an "unread" tag doesn't mean anything, you have sort of an arms race of what emails you actually do need to pay attention to. I mean, look at my gmail inbox: it's got Trash, Archive, Inbox, Unread, Important, and Starred - six levels of rating my emails' importance, and the only thing I use is whatever's in the top few rows.

Time to pay off the bills for this month and do an "Archive all"

• RottonappleRottonapple Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    I have a couple thousand "unread emails" but that is because Gmail insists on counting all the useless stuff in the "Social" and "Promotions" tabs of my inbox... and every app I have for my phone that shows unread counts does the same thing.

Mildly annoying. But my sister has a habit of walking around with a "new voicemail" notification on her phone, and when I point it out to her she says, "Oh, I know what it is." And she'll leave it there for weeks. Which makes me grind my teeth.

You can go into the settings for gmail and get rid of the promotions, social, and forums inboxes and just leave the "primary" inbox.Because I simply don't give out or use my gmail, the only things landing in it were that crap anyway. Now nothing shows up in it. I only have a gmail because I had to have one when I got my Android phone. I've had to learn how to "strangle" google products. Like when they crammed google+ up my ass if I wanted to keep using my youtube account. I strangled/muted everything on that google+ account so now it's just out there floating as another zombie account doing nothing.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I chortled at this, because right now I have 14,284 "unread emails". It's mostly spam/advertisement BS across my multiple gmail accounts that I use to sign up for various things.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Gaslight wrote: »

You can go into the settings for gmail and get rid of the promotions, social, and forums inboxes and just leave the "primary" inbox.Because I simply don't give out or use my gmail, the only things landing in it were that crap anyway. Now nothing shows up in it. I only have a gmail because I had to have one when I got my Android phone. I've had to learn how to "strangle" google products. Like when they crammed google+ up my ass if I wanted to keep using my youtube account. I strangled/muted everything on that google+ account so now it's just out there floating as another zombie account doing nothing.

My gmail is my primary personal email account. I'm sure as hell not using my work email for everything.

Since the "social" and "promotions" tabs are there pretty much purely to allow you to ignore unimportant stuff, app makers just need to realize that and allow you to only pick certain inbox categories for unread count tracking.

Gaslight on
  • AstralMuffinAstralMuffin Registered User regular
    So THAT'S what's happens to our mails P: can't blame him though

• TFXRavenTFXRaven Galactic Emperor Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    Gabe's face in that final panel.

• ReiskaReiska Registered User regular
    Just keep ignoring and they will go away. Way to go Tych.

• Evil TacoEvil Taco Registered User regular
    Not even gonna ask why he as disney sticker book.

• OmegaDezOmegaDez CanadaRegistered User regular
    I remember when I tried to write to Gabe and/or Tycho and was sad that I never got a reply.

Now I understand.

• noxumbranoxumbra Registered User regular
    Fuck those emails. Also thumbs up for Alchemy!

• Hargaad of OmnarHargaad of Omnar New Badges? Fucking BOSS!Registered User regular
    I'm with Tycho on this one.
    Meh. If it was important, they'd call me. If it is something legally important, they'd send postmarked mail.
    I made a junk mail email over 10 years ago when I originally wanted to sign up with Pizza Hut's online system (because I'm a stuffed-crust whore), and it has accumulated over 500k unread emails from various other sites I used it to sign up with. There's likely only a couple dozen actually 'read' emails in there simply for the confirmation code or hyperlink.

Star Wars (2 separate links)
    Yelling at butts will never NOT be funny. Thanks, Psy!
    Also, Abby is awesome. Keep up with TLH because it's the tits!

I love League of Legends, but seriously...screw you, Teemo.
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I feel that once you get to about 500, the only thing to do is select all ->delete.

• gavman42gavman42 Registered User new member
    current unread count: 39,847

• Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    I don't feel so bad about my 11000+, now.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • aliquxaliqux Registered User new member
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I feel that once you get to about 500, the only thing to do is select all ->delete.

I tried that once. With over 28000 email message in my inbox it locked up my web browser and I had to kill the process to do anything. I decided to just live with it after that.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    TFXRaven wrote: »
    Gabe's face in that final panel.

Yup.

My turn to be 'that guy', I guess - looser style is one thing, but Gabe transforming into some red-eyed hellbeast to do a wild take every time he gets upset is getting a bit old and/or silly. And when he isn't, he's doing something with his mouth and enormous chipmunk teeth that's equally bizarre. It's like Mike is flanderizing his own alter-ego. (Illustrative link omitted so as not to pull you all down the rabbit hole.)

I'm not saying I could do better, but I know he can do better. I pine for the subtle artistry of the Wandering Age, to give but one example.

• TransluciaTranslucia Registered User regular
    Look for the subject line, "just finished 5th head of cerebus." thats me :)

• Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    My wife does this, too. It's a lifestyle choice I will never understand.

I'm having trouble getting behind the direction Mike has taken his art in the past year or two. I miss the more subtle style of somewhere in the range of 2006 through 2011. I feel it was more congruous with Jerry's writing.

In addition to being a more appropriate use of the red-eyed hellbeast face Mike has taken to use every time Gabe expresses any sort of anger, I think this is just a better drawing:

215543608_oPsC3-L-2.jpg

Tim is on the Internet on
    Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • MidnightJesterMidnightJester Jester Extraordinaire Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    I guess I'm just the polar opposite of Jerry when it comes to email. I check every email as soon as it comes in and then deal with it appropriately. If my inbox says anything higher than (1), the odds are that I was asleep.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Evil Taco wrote: »
    Not even gonna ask why he as disney sticker book.

Kids is probably why.

• MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    I have a Comcast email address that I've used for signing up for things for many, many years (I'd say at least 15 years now). Back in the old days, I loaded all the emails on Outlook Express. If I was still doing that, I bet I would have a total that would blow everyone else who has posted away.

Sadly, I ditched the PC that had Outlook Express several years ago and now I only view the Comcast account's emails on the actual Comcast site. I just checked it and they must purge every so often because there are only 164 unread emails.

It's basically all spam. The only times I go out there are if some site sent me an email where I have to click on something to authenticate. All the "real people" in my life have other email addresses where they can reach me.

Now I wish I did still have Outlook Express. I'd love to see what the number would be up to after all these years. ;)

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • philshapphilshap Registered User new member
    Dude. Open Settings>Notification Center, scroll down and find Mail, open it an select the mail account you want ignored and turn off Badge App Icon.

Doesn't that feel better?

• EWomEWom Registered User regular
    Dang I guess I have some catching up to do! only 9.2k unread on my gmail.

Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I check my junkmail.

• JONGSCXJONGSCX Registered User new member
    Awww, 20K unread emails... you guys are cute.

n2dnnc6xg54n.jpg

• SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Spam fascinates me. Like, who would go get freaking Lasik from a spammer?

Don't answer that.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.