As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Samurai [chat]

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    my slur of preference is fogbreather for londoners

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Apparently Otaku en espanol is Otaco

Otaco pleases me

It makes them sound delicioso.
    what im saying is

report everybody

actually is there even a slur for english people that works

we need to develop one

Isn't it traditionally Limey?

Ya know, cause you jerks drank lime juice rather than suffer scurvy like real men.

limey is just like

oh no curse u fools for finding a way to defeat scurvy with ur moderately tasty lime cordial

doesnt quite have that ring 2 it

obF2Wuw.png
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    D3aregS.jpg
    If only.

Bless your heart.
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-28842965
    Africa's elephants have reached a tipping point: more are being killed each year than are being born, a study suggests.

Researchers believe that since 2010 an average of nearly 35,000 elephants have been killed annually on the continent.

They warn that if the rate of poaching continues, the animals could be wiped out in 100 years.

Welp, elephants are screwed.

there was a story on this on cbs sunday morning this past weekend and it was so damn depressing

basically the east asian ivory trade / traditional medicine is going to drive elephants (and rhinos, for that matter) extinct and there's nothing we can really do about it

I think I remember reading a thing about a guy who contends that ivory can essentially farmed and harvested from animals (not sure whether it was rhinos or elephants) without harming them, and although you could potentially disrupt the black market by allowing for humane ivory it's probably too late to actually do enough because you wouldn't be able to easily distinguish between legal and illegal ivory.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2014
    what im saying is

report everybody

we need to develop one

Limey is almost entirely neutral without some swearwords in front. Ros bif is unsuccessful because how great is roast beef. Pom can gather some contempt around it in the mouth of a decently aggressive Australian, but is usually pretty innocuous.

The French used to call English soldiers 'Goddamns' in the Napoleonic War, which is such a terrible attempt at giving someone a nickname it defies belief. Nicknames for your enemy aren't supposed to make them sound awesome.

Bogart on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Water cannons would be preferable to LRAD for a lot of reasons.

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    what im saying is

report everybody

we need to develop one
    limey, pom, ros bif, etc.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    the welsh

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Water cannons would be preferable to LRAD for a lot of reasons.

i think it's more about the optics than anything, here

like, this whole situation already feels out the 50s civil rights movement

and the suggestion just brings that image more and more into focus

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    €25 for the doctor to tell me they can't do anything for me and I should just wait it out

fuck you doctors

The horrors of socialized medicine.

well, that was most of my money till the start of next week

oh my god I cannot wait to be not poor

it is gonna be amazing

€25 for the doctor to tell me they can't do anything for me and I should just wait it out

fuck you doctors

it is gonna be amazing

there's nothing like waiting for the wait to end, that's a different kind of waiting

Actually I think the usual thing is just to spit the word 'English' out like it's covered in poison.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Sure, if you're not the subject of discrimination, "slurs" will just be terms of endearment to you.
    Because the word has no power.

But when you're the minority, the word can have some pretty bad baggage.

But, you know, who cares, right?
    i don't like being called a Frog. Do what you will.

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

fuck you doctors

it is gonna be amazing

Btw I didn't mean that in a DOuchey way. I'm just frustrated at medical expenses atm

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    ronya wrote: »
    steam support is like

hitler tier

origin support is 3000 times better

its pretty weird actually but there u go, valve decided not to give a shit

hiring a class of support peons would defo change the company culture

Steam only had 2 people answering tickets, for millions of users. Anything complicated that a basic form letter didnt handle, they would just ban the account and refuse further contact. It was like 5 hitlers, and now its just hitler.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    what im saying is

report everybody

we need to develop one

Limey is almost entirely neutral without some swearwords in front. Ros bif is unsuccessful because how great is roast beef. Pom can gather some contempt around it in the mouth of a decently aggressive Australian, but is usually pretty innocuous.

The French used to call English soldiers 'Goddamns' in the Napoleonic War, which is such a terrible attempt at giving someone a nickname it defies belief. Nicknames for your enemy aren't supposed to make them sound awesome.

the boers had quite a good one

VERDOMMT ROOINEK

god damned redneck
    Bethryn wrote: »
    what im saying is

report everybody

we need to develop one
    limey, pom, ros bif, etc.

none of them work

i would never get salty at any of those

obF2Wuw.png
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    I was listening to Joe Rogan's podcast and he had this nutcase on talking about Seasteading.

Basically building floating cities in international water.

The blatant overtones of using desperate poor people fleeing 3rd world countries as a source of cheap labor were staggering.

Psn:wazukki
    Actually I think the usual thing is just to spit the word 'English' out like it's covered in poison.

"britisher"

obF2Wuw.png
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    what im saying is

report everybody

we need to develop one

English people are the best, so any way people refer to our Englishness is a compliment.

Oh no, calling me roast beef? So you're calling me fucking delicious, I am wounded to the core

You can always call them Scottish or Irish.

Or is it the other way around?

I was listening to the podcast in my car driving down the expressway so you can imagine how dangerous it was to be staggered at that moment.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    wazilla wrote: »
    I was listening to Joe Rogan's podcast and he had this nutcase on talking about Seasteading.

The blatant overtones of using desperate poor people fleeing 3rd world countries as a source of cheap labor were staggering.

They always talk as if it would be so independent when in reality every single plan relies on basically being a parasite of a real state.

that would be a good con

always call americans canadian when u first meet them

then congratulate them on having such a nice canadian accent

obF2Wuw.png
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Yesterday I considered linking a list of slurs for native people so you guys could get more creative when you want to offend me

But some of them just played off of slurs towards other races, and that just seemed rude

zagdrob wrote: »

Wouldn't be an insult. The other way around might get you a punch or a sharp correction, though.

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    my slur of preference is fogbreather for londoners

muggles

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Cracker, honkey, redneck, white trash, hillbilly.

Although most of those are as much class based insults as race based.

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    @surrealitycheck‌
    You..
    Shopkeeper!

Wow these insults are terrible.

Bless your heart.
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular

fuck you doctors

it is gonna be amazing

Btw I didn't mean that in a DOuchey way. I'm just frustrated at medical expenses atm

oh yeah, I know! In the grand scheme of things, it's a minuscule amount for a doctor visit (I got it cheaper because I'm a student), it is just frustrating as it is a large amount to me with my current finances

i get my first pay cheque next friday. It is gonna be the beeeest

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    steam support is like

hitler tier

origin support is 3000 times better

its pretty weird actually but there u go, valve decided not to give a shit

hiring a class of support peons would defo change the company culture

It certainly couldn't be worse than the support peons they have now that have severe mental disabilities?

in this case i think it's more overqualified people who disdain their customers, who (to be fair) can be extremely annoying especially when upset

There is no legitimate way these people have qualifications.

The secretaries here that can't figure out how to put paper in a printer have more qualifications.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

Seance? What is this the Victorian era or does it means something else here?

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Wouldn't be an insult. The other way around might get you a punch or a sharp correction, though.

Hey wait a minute. Don't the Irish or the Scottish have insults for the English?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    edit: I missed fifty posts saying 'limey' in a 5 minute gap.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
    Couscous wrote: »
    wazilla wrote: »

They always talk as if it would be so independent when in reality every single plan relies on basically being a parasite of a real state.

Right.

Also, what would you do about crime?

"We'd have security!"

Ok, who legitimizes the security force?

"The high seas are already super safe!"

But... There aren't cities there...

"But I've been on a cruise ship and wasn't stabbed or shot or anything!"

I... are you serious? How do you protect yourself from other Seasteaders? Like an invasion?

"Nobody invades the Cayman Islands! They don't have an army!"

I'm pretty sure they have some sort of defense treaties? Who would honestly give a fuck about some seastead?

These seem like really basic questions that haven't been thought about for more than 10 minutes.

Also, "We can build a space station, so we can obviously build a sea station" Nonononononononono

NOoooooOoooo

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

Hey wait a minute. Don't the Irish or the Scottish have insults for the English?

Not really. They just generally call you "sir" and bow quite a lot and ask that you leave them some of the harvest because their children do need to eat, mi'lord.

(I really can't think of any)

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    edited August 2014
    The wiki that lists ethnic slurs has limey for Britons and about a million for basically every other country. Either we lucked out, we're universally loved or we probably made up all the slurs for everyone else in the first place..

Bogart on
    I need more local couple friends.

• BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    hey guys, did a pee

dfzn9elrnajf.png
This discussion has been closed.