As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Art & Animation Journey of LEGACY - [[NSFW]- GIF Heavy!]

LegacyGameLegacyGame Registered User regular
edited June 2015 in Artist's Corner
tumblr_n51op4Esn71sg3x5go2_1280.jpg
Hey guys 'n' gals, I'm going to be dumping my work on Legacy here, which is comprised of game design, art and animation. Everything you're about to see is very much subject to change, I very much appreciate feedback both positive and negative. Enjoy your stay while I make my journey! Questions are very welcome, I have this FAQ that I'm slowly growing so fire away! I'll hide some of the GIF's with the spoiler thingy so the thread doesn't get too heavy as I will be updating things over time.

done_by_legacygame-d82byzy.jpg
armor_blocking_by_legacygame-d82m62l.jpg

ifrX7UzwKXiuv.gifiDqBlc5vbARtr.gifi3yOIzc71Dxij.gif
iJrpkZrTxPIvr.gif

Action Mining: Dig through the environment the same way you attack enemies!
tumblr_n7n34aqV4h1sg3x5go2_250.giftumblr_n7n34aqV4h1sg3x5go3_250.gif
tumblr_n7n34aqV4h1sg3x5go5_250.giftumblr_n7n34aqV4h1sg3x5go6_250.gif
tumblr_n7n34aqV4h1sg3x5go1_250.giftumblr_n7n34aqV4h1sg3x5go4_250.gif

Some designs of two races (Dorokai - big rock dude, Oku - plant squid girl) and some quick sketches of how armor progression may work.
tumblr_n7p21tpyIx1sg3x5go2_500.jpgtumblr_n7pl4mUuoO1sg3x5go1_500.jpg
tumblr_n7foheiXut1sg3x5go2_500.jpg

The LEGACY character creator inputs for creating how your character looks AND thinks!
tumblr_n5xwtrP5Ly1sg3x5go1_r2_1280.jpg
tumblr_n5xwtrP5Ly1sg3x5go2_r1_1280.jpg
tumblr_n5xwtrP5Ly1sg3x5go3_1280.jpg
tumblr_n5xwtrP5Ly1sg3x5go4_1280.jpg
tumblr_n5xwtrP5Ly1sg3x5go5_1280.jpg
tumblr_n5xwtrP5Ly1sg3x5go6_1280.jpg

Iruka on

• acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    Holy butts. This is some cool looking shit.

• LegacyGameLegacyGame Registered User regular
    Thanks acadia! Got another update here, gif update on the demo and the new font (typeface) for the title text:
    tumblr_n96jejeRC51sg3x5go1_500.gif
    tumblr_n96jejeRC51sg3x5go2_500.jpg

edited July 2014
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaand the demo is now on youtube!

action_mining_demo_by_legacygame-d7s10od.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s2zqtYhUgI

LegacyGame on
    Practice in Zbrush, it's a warcraft gnome I suppose :T
    tumblr_n995bjVkvv1sg3x5go4_1280.jpg

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    The zbrush model is cute.

Nice to have another 3D artist posting, our only other member doing major 3d work is @Toasticus‌

So are you going to have that giant character generator, thing, but only a male playable character? I like the concept art, is there any more of it?

edited July 2014
    Hey Iruka! There's definitely going to be both genders for character creation in fact there's 3 if you check ;) this is why I'm practicing female sculpts first, there isn't much concept art at the moment because I've been focusing on the mechanics and animation displayed in the demo but there is more on the tumblr. I'm definitely trying to get back to the artwork now! Here's some more zbrush:

tumblr_n9aqtxt1aF1sg3x5go1_500.jpg
    tumblr_n9aqtxt1aF1sg3x5go3_500.jpg
    tumblr_n9aqtxt1aF1sg3x5go4_500.jpg

LegacyGame on
    edited July 2014
    tumblr_n9bdeyiaFF1sg3x5go1_r1_500.jpg
    tumblr_n9bdeyiaFF1sg3x5go4_r1_500.jpg

LegacyGame on
    edited July 2014
    WIP on a fullbody sculpt
    tumblr_n9ddinFuqc1sg3x5go1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_n9ddinFuqc1sg3x5go2_1280.jpg
    tumblr_n9ddinFuqc1sg3x5go3_1280.jpg
    tumblr_n9ddinFuqc1sg3x5go4_1280.jpg

LegacyGame on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Great work. For the models, if you're going to keep with the sculpted look in the pecs (and in the hair) it might be nice to carry that aesthetic through to the facial structure and neck musculature as well. Not sure if that was planned or not, but figured I'd mention it!

You seem to have quite the skill range! What do you have the most fun with / what do you think is your best strength? Animation/sculpting/2D...?

Haha thanks Analivia! NightDragon so far with sculpts nothing is planned other than boxmesh proportions, I'm generally just sculpting the anatomy in how it feels natural, if some kind of style emerges ill try and make it more prominent, I was thinking about how to add more of that sculpted look to other areas but I think it's too early because I'm using a really low-res dynamesh for blocking.

I think my greatest strength is my analysis, I don't really have much innate aptitude I just really really like the whole art process which is why I've added so many areas of production to my skill set, although I think at this time my 2D and sculpting are my weakest areas because I give them the least amount of time, animation is just very time consuming even when you know what you're doing.

tumblr_n9gjtzdA7r1sg3x5go1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_n9gjtzdA7r1sg3x5go2_1280.jpg

• NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    @Tidus53‌ might wanna see this thread.

• KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    you have a super neat style

diggin yer flows

Thanks Kochikens!

tumblr_n9k1z2GO0R1sg3x5go1_r3_500.jpg
    tumblr_n9k1z2GO0R1sg3x5go2_r3_1280.jpg

Still working on the hands and feet, but I doubled the resolution for face, trunk and arms, I think the face needs to double once more to get crisp edges on the eye lid areas, so many creases! Seriously cannot wait to do the fullbody female sculpt (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

• KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Thinking he could use some nips?

• DoxaOwlDoxaOwl Registered User regular
    Goddamnit, this is some amazing 3d work right here. I wish I could pull half the stuff you are doing in zbrush, as well as coding the game.

Haha unfortunately no nips Kochikens, the edges on the pectoralis minor just made it weird the last time I did it, but I'm gonna give it another shot just for you ;) Thanks DoxaOwl, I'm sure with some consistent diligent practice you'll be able to do anything you want without a genie lamp!

tumblr_n9q265Msb01sg3x5go4_1280.jpg
    tumblr_n9q265Msb01sg3x5go1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_n9q265Msb01sg3x5go2_1280.jpg
    tumblr_n9q265Msb01sg3x5go3_1280.jpg

Almost done with this guy! Just need to add paint and rig him! Then onto the armour!

final_face_by_legacygame-d7vla9k.jpg
    retopology_done__by_legacygame-d7vl9ue.jpg

First game asset done! Carrying over lessons learned to the next challenge can't stay on this any longer, time to rig it!

tumblr_nambxauf131sg3x5go1_500.jpg

A little late, but Have you considered angling his ears back a bit? The smaller and less cartoony his face got, the more sort of out of place they seem. I personally liked the earlier faces because they seemed a lot less generic, but I guess hes just the stock body for which the customization would then come into play?

edited August 2014
    Iruka wrote: »
    A little late, but Have you considered angling his ears back a bit? The smaller and less cartoony his face got, the more sort of out of place they seem. I personally liked the earlier faces because they seemed a lot less generic, but I guess hes just the stock body for which the customization would then come into play?

For sure man, I'm very undeveloped as an artist and this is a journey to finding out what I'm comfortable with, anything and everything will change along the way. The evolution of the face was constrained to my own design principles I'm building, the relationship between the body and the size of the face forced me to change the size of the eyes i.e:

- Cuter = head bigger than body, eyes can dominate the face and be bigger in general, although they can still be small

- Serious = head in proportion or smaller than body, the eyes need to be in proportion or smaller

When I rendered the original face with the beard it actually looked really weird and continued to look weird until I changed the size of the eyes, the same kind of weird of having nipples on hard edges. There are other designs I have that support more creative exploration of anatomy, this was not one of them unfortunately :neutral_face:

LegacyGame on
    edited August 2014
    Just from a consumer, I think from indie stand point I look for things that stand out. If you find that style more appealing to you and your goals, then go for it, but to me it went from "interesting" to "Could be a generic dude in any game".

It's early though, and maybe once you get that dude in a bunch of armor and such, it wont seem bland. I have an affinity for more cartoony things, too, so I'm operating with a bias. I would just say that whatever you are defining as your design principals, make sure you are pushing the outer edges of it, find what you like but also refine it to something unique.

Iruka on
    edited August 2014
    Better screens below so I edited this one out :)

LegacyGame on
    Just from a consumer, I think from indie stand point I look for things that stand out. If you find that style more appealing to you and your goals, then go for it, but to me it went from "interesting" to "Could be a generic dude in any game".

It's early though, and maybe once you get that dude in a bunch of armor and such, it wont seem bland. I have an affinity for more cartoony things, too, so I'm operating with a bias. I would just say that whatever you are defining as your design principals, make sure you are pushing the outer edges of it, find what you like but also refine it to something unique.

Well style isn't something that can generally be forced unless you're emulating something pre-established, here I'm trying to find something that occurs naturally or quirks that I like to latch on to, in the end it's a big learning expedition. I haven't bridged my skills from 2D to 3D because I've never directly tried to translate them, now that I am doing it I'm learning how things can become unappealing, weird or brilliant. Bear with me ;D

tumblr_naqg59VCKm1sg3x5go1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_naqg59VCKm1sg3x5go2_1280.jpg

Testing some functionality of real space integrated UI and discussing switching up traditional gear with everyone's favourite crab: "take stats, make them collectibles, take talents and put them on gear instead".

jbiQYStTblNzlZ.jpg

tumblr_nb7ee7g9HF1sg3x5go1_1280.gif

There are 8 angles on the y axis (0-360° in 45° increments) and 2 on the x axis (10° and 35°). The 35° angle is designed for fighting large groups and the 10° angle is designed for boss fights so you can see their animated telegraphs more clearly. However the zoom function (z axis) may make the 10° angle redundant.
    When I refer to integrated UI it's about cleverly putting it in the world space so it doesn't create a frame of dead space around the screen. Skill frames may be more traditional however. More art is on the way, just switching things up with what I post for a bit.

Faces are on hold, armor and big creature anim on the way!

fullbody_front_by_legacygame-d81itl3.jpg
    fullbody_back_by_legacygame-d81itot.jpg

edited October 2014
    Almost done it's in maya now, this is what it'll look like in the engine.

game_asset__2_by_legacygame-d821h32.jpg

LegacyGame on
    FOR THE EMPEROR!!

tumblr_nd4sxsWyYL1sg3x5go1_1280.jpg

Looking good dude. Everything is still so malleable that I'm not sure whats worth providing feedback on or not, but I hope you'll keep updating us as you go.

Looking good dude. Everything is still so malleable that I'm not sure whats worth providing feedback on or not, but I hope you'll keep updating us as you go.

I'm making some final changes to the sculpt and textures since I did the UVmap bad (to think I know what that is now :'D) so I revisited it again and re-did the abs and pecs, he has some nips now! Slowly understanding the workflow in zbrush there are a lot of milestones you can't turn back on without throwing out lots of work. No pain no gain eh.

edited October 2014
    done_by_legacygame-d82byzy.jpg

LegacyGame on
    edited October 2014
    Blocking before zbrush!

armor_blocking_by_legacygame-d82m62l.jpg

LegacyGame on
    WIP on zbrushing the armour

tumblr_ndzro1atu91sg3x5go8_1280.jpg
    tumblr_ndzro1atu91sg3x5go1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_ndzro1atu91sg3x5go4_1280.jpg
    tumblr_ndzro1atu91sg3x5go3_1280.jpg

I'm guessing that you may be waiting for the texture phase, but I feel like the wear and tear on the armor is really selective, just a pop mark here and there rather than coherent damage to particular areas or a more wide spred rough quality.

edited October 2014
    I'm guessing that you may be waiting for the texture phase, but I feel like the wear and tear on the armor is really selective, just a pop mark here and there rather than coherent damage to particular areas or a more wide spred rough quality.

I was learning how to get those crisp edges on hard surface in zbrush, the part you're taking about is the really fun part detailing all the damage, I still need to sweep it with this sort of texturing: armor_details_breakdown_pt1.jpg?1399539709

I had previously done stuff to the arm plating, but when I wanted crisper edges with more defined planar surfaces I had to scrap them and learn a proper hardsurface pipe, after redoing them from scratch I also managed to get the gorget and helmet in. It's a long length process of modeling it in maya then doubling up on edge loops on the sharp parts to maintain the correct shape when smoothed and then converting the smoothed shape into a poly mesh.

LegacyGame on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    this shit is dope

booty like pow

obF2Wuw.png
    edited October 2014
    Streaming!

LegacyGame on
    Stuff from the stream.

tumblr_ne5kp4v6Jf1sg3x5go5_1280.jpg
    tumblr_ne5kp4v6Jf1sg3x5go1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_ne5kp4v6Jf1sg3x5go3_1280.jpg
    tumblr_ne5kp4v6Jf1sg3x5go4_1280.jpg

Done up the gorget and lower armplates, some finishing touches on the helmet too.

tumblr_ne5kp4v6Jf1sg3x5go1_r1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_ne5kp4v6Jf1sg3x5go2_r1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_ne5kp4v6Jf1sg3x5go3_r1_1280.jpg

Another thing I've been working on, maybe a format to review specific game problems/triumphs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bne74pwXsX4