As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BattleTech] The Clan Wait-vasion

• HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    I get to start with a Dragon, right?

An entire company with a Grand Dragon as the unit leader

kx3klFE.png
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

hehehe. the 3rd succession war Dragon is such a terrible mech :)

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!

hehehe. the 3rd succession war Dragon is such a terrible mech :)

Its not bad when you toss it in with a lance of mediums. Gives them a beefier shield and a little extra long range punch.

5/8 with AC5, LRM10, 2 ML

kx3klFE.png
    So i just finished my first introductory game with my 9 year old. Just a 1v1. His Hunchback vs my Dervish.

Little jerk hit my LRM ammo in round 2 with a lucky AC20 and ML shot to the left torso. :mad:

kx3klFE.png
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    @HydroSqueegee‌ that is adorabadass. I thought the intro game was Hunchback versus Enforcer though? That's what my older one is, at least.

Also, after watching a playthrough of MechWarrior 2, I now want to make Aidan Pryde's Timber Wolf.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    Ianator wrote: »
    @HydroSqueegee‌ that is adorabadass. I thought the intro game was Hunchback versus Enforcer though? That's what my older one is, at least.

Also, after watching a playthrough of MechWarrior 2, I now want to make Aidan Pryde's Timber Wolf.

I was just stepping him through the game. He wanted to be the Hunchback, so i chose the Dervish since it was squishier and i could show him the rules for LRMs and SRMs.

kx3klFE.png
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    But seriously though I want to play A Time of War

3basnids3lf9.jpg

After reading through the Alpha Strike book, i think im going to switch to that with the 9 year old. Much simpler. Ill need to do hexes since he likes to fiddle with the mechs in his down time.

I know it was made with the clan invasion in mind, but are there any random unit selectors for the 3025 era Alpha Strike?

Id like to put a couple battalions together and run through a couple practice games.

kx3klFE.png
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    After reading through the Alpha Strike book, i think im going to switch to that with the 9 year old. Much simpler. Ill need to do hexes since he likes to fiddle with the mechs in his down time.

I know it was made with the clan invasion in mind, but are there any random unit selectors for the 3025 era Alpha Strike?

Id like to put a couple battalions together and run through a couple practice games.

Since Classic vs. Alpha Strike use the same baseline for unit construction and BV (it's all Battletech), I'd imagine you could use any random unit tables you'd deem appropriate. I'm pretty sure there are tables in Total Warfare, otherwise you could use some of the older references.

Otherwise, I found this random unit generator with a quick Google search. As a bonus, it was created by CGL.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    edited August 2014
    Suppose i could just use the random roller in megamek then too. Hmmmm. Wonder if theres one out there that takes into account the rarity of certain mechs and also includes house specific units also.

Holy shit. Ask and ye shall receive
    http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
    edited August 2014
    Geth roll 1d1000 For FRR Heavy Mech

Salvage: Steiner 3028 BOOOOO

FRR Heavy Mech:
    1d1000 49 [1d1000=49]

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited August 2014
    edit: Up yours, Geth

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited August 2014
    Geth roll 1d1000 For FRR Heavy Mech

GRH-5H Grasshopper

FATE!

thanks Geth

FRR Heavy Mech:
    1d1000 906 [1d1000=906]

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
    edited August 2014
    OK, those tables are fucking incredible. Good find, Hydro!

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    If anybody was interested the Intro Box Set is on sale at CSI for 50% off, with only 11 more in stock.

iguanacus wrote: »
    If anybody was interested the Intro Box Set is on sale at CSI for 50% off, with only 11 more in stock.

good deal just for the minis alone.

kx3klFE.png
    edited August 2014
    Geth roll 1d1000 For FRR Light Mech

SDR-5V Spider. Now we're talking!

And if I weren't going to splurge at Gen Con next week, I'd be all over another copy of the Intro Box. It's seriously a fantastic product.

FRR Light Mech:
    1d1000 595 [1d1000=595]

Nips on
    edited August 2014
    Excel is the devil in column and row form. But if this works out, ill have a nice little spreadsheet to share.

... Since the one in the link i posted earlier is "limited" in functionality. Aka, it doesnt work. :|

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
    Excel is the devil in column and row form. But if this works out, ill have a nice little spreadsheet to share.

... Since the one in the link i posted earlier is "limited" in functionality. Aka, it doesnt work. :|

As a working professional with a full-time job in Excel clusterfuckery, I understand and commiserate.

Protip: Google Spreadsheets is worse, and less functional! Even better, when your company basically all but mandates its use. Optimal!

yRpS530.png

So my clickiting in excel seems to have paid off. I know hardly anything of functions, so it was a learn as you go adventure. Its a mish mas of info on sheet 5, but the pretty results on sheet 4 work.

Its a truely random Battalion using the rules from Strategic Ops and using the Mech tables provided from that 88 page pdf i posted earlier. So far I only have the Kurita 3028 table working, but its taken me 2 days to get to this point, so the rest will come easy, or time consuming.

To do: Overall unit skill. Easy to say, hey, you have 36 guys and this is how many Elite, Vet, Reg and Green pilots to assign. But id like to assign individual skills to each unit. Maybe even going so far as pilot/gunnery as well as Mechwarrior names (but thats waaaay off).
    Command Lance... Im not sure what the rules are for this here. I have the rules to create the Battalion, but i havent seen anything as far as what weight class to make the command lance. If nothing else ill just make it the weight of the battalion weight class.

Current work will be to get the rest of the 3028 data into the sheet for ths rest of the IS.

kx3klFE.png
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Baaatle Repooort~!

Me (Commando COM-7S, Panther PNT-12A) and Dave (two Piranha)
    versus
    Chris F. (Venom SDR-9KC, Jenner JR7-C3) and Dallas (Pack Hunter 3, Fire Falcon Prime)

Chris isn't going to be bringing the big maps that often on account of them being a pain to transport so we played on a quartet of standard map parts. Dallas and I were rolled for team leaders; I picked Dave as my partner.

Turn 1 was us advancing forward. A few shots went off but for the most part there wasn't much shooting that could be done (and thus non-participation penalties abounded for that turn). Turn 2 was much more lively as we basically split apart, me facing Chris while Dallas took on Dave. My Commando, while well-armed, wound up overextending and got hit by both of Chris's 'Mechs before my Panther could provide much in the way of support.

Turn 3 started off with my Commando lying on the ground with a Gyro hit and tons of damage elsewhere. While I considered surrendering, I opted instead to attempt standing up. Pilot skill of 5, Gyro hit adds +5 to that. I had to roll a 10+ or face the very real risk of self-critting myself.

Six and four.

Now I've got a Commando who just won't sit down and two hundred thousand bills in the bank as a bonus. It dished out quite a bit more pain on Turn 3 as his Panther buddy crashed the party but, sadly, it was kicked over once more by the Jenner. I had to pop the white flag - 60% repairs and a 50k surrender penalty beats 80% repairs and a 500,000-bill reward for whoever takes me out.

While this was happening, Dave's Piranhas were having fun with Dallas's two Clanners. One Piranha took an unlucky Gyro crit due to a CT hit but managed to hobble full-tilt towards the Fire Falcon (earning him a cool 200k bonus for staying standing). The two wailed on each other until they were blue in the face; the Piranha was destroyed via engine hits but the Pack Hunter was surrendered that turn as well.

It's turn four and the field has been cut almost in half. It's not very much in my Panther's favor; I'm being hounded by an untouched Venom. The Jenner's weapons have been stripped off but we egg on Chris to do a Death From Above. Too bad I pelt him square in the CT with my ER Medium Laser, punching through the structure and finishing the 'Mech off. Unfortunately, the Venom's aim is true and the Panther takes a Gyro hit (the third CT 6 crit in the game!), sending it to the ground.

Once again I manage to stand up! The enemy team is having none of this, however, and as the two front lines converge into one both my Panther and Dave's Piranha are stripped of their legs. By the end of turn 6, the Piranha is near-wrecked and my Panther is finally rendered incapable of standing up again. We both pop the white flags, bringing an end to the match.

Pretty much the entire Loser's Pot is going to repairs - even if we never roll Lights again my 'Mechs are still in good enough shape to sell if it comes down to it (you can sell a 'Mech for 75% of its cost but it must be fully repaired first). I still managed to make a mills bills during the match itself even with the frequent demerits.

Campaign Turn 4 means an escalation of the Weight Class table. 1-2 is Light, 3-4 is Medium, 5 is Heavy and 6 is Assault. Next game is a 5 - Heavy!

(sorry, no pics this time)

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    Picking out two heavies on a 38-mil budget is not easy when your 3025 ruleset gets stretched to a 3145 unit roster. If we roll Assault next mission, I might have to sell something.

On that note, does anyone know what TRO has the stats for the JagerMech JM7-D? Sarna says it's in 3050 Upgrade but I only see the JagerMech III so I've got no idea where to put this four-and-a-half tons of armor in Solaris Skunk Werks.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    Hey! Battletech nerds! Any of you at Gen Con? I'm in the ICC right now, fresh out my judges meeting for the D&D events.

If you're here for the Con, you should PM me, and we'll go learn to play Alpha Strike some time this weekend. :D

Picking out two heavies on a 38-mil budget is not easy when your 3025 ruleset gets stretched to a 3145 unit roster. If we roll Assault next mission, I might have to sell something.

On that note, does anyone know what TRO has the stats for the JagerMech JM7-D? Sarna says it's in 3050 Upgrade but I only see the JagerMech III so I've got no idea where to put this four-and-a-half tons of armor in Solaris Skunk Werks.

sorry this is so late. I have a copy of Heavy Metal, so I've got everything.
    BattleMech Technical Readout

Type/Model:    Jagermech JM7-D
    Tech:          Inner Sphere / 3060
    Config:        Biped BattleMech
    Rules:         Level 2, Standard design

Mass:          70 tons
    Chassis:       Standard
    Power Plant:   280 VOX XL Fusion
    Walking Speed: 43.2 km/h
    Maximum Speed: 64.8 km/h
    Jump Jets:     None
    Jump Capacity: 0 meters
    Armor Type:    Ferro-Fibrous 
    Armament:      
      2 Ultra AC/5s
      2 Medium Pulse Lasers
      2 ER Large Lasers
    Manufacturer:  (Unknown)
    Communications System:  (Unknown)
    Targeting & Tracking System:  (Unknown)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ==Overview:==
         This was the Federated Suns attempt to give the JagerMech a more solid
    reputation and make the deisgn more durable. Unfortunately it was a failure.
    The new chassis was poorly designed and the T&T system has numerous glitches
    that have never been worked out. As a result of this, production of this
    variant has ceased and the few that are out there have been assigned to
    militia units through the Federated Suns.

--------------------------------------------------------
    Type/Model:    Jagermech JM7-D

Equipment:                                 Crits    Mass
    Int. Struct.:  107 pts Standard              0      7.00
    Engine:        280 XL Fusion                12      8.00
       Walking MP:   4
       Running MP:   6
       Jumping MP:   0
    Heat Sinks:     13 Double [26]               6      3.00
     (Heat Sink Loc: 1 LT, 1 RT)
    Gyro:                                        4      3.00
    Cockpit, Life Supt., Sensors:                5      3.00
    Actuators: L: Sh+UA    R: Sh+UA             12       .00
    Armor Factor:  197 pts Ferro-Fibrous        14     11.00
     (Armor Crit Loc: 3 LA, 3 RA, 4 LT, 4 RT)

Internal    Armor
                              Structure   Value
       Head:                      3          9      
       Center Torso:             22         34      
       Center Torso (Rear):                  6      
       L/R Side Torso:           15      24/24      
       L/R Side Torso (Rear):              6/6      
       L/R Arm:                  11      22/22      
       L/R Leg:                  15      22/22      

Weapons and Equipment    Loc  Heat  Ammo   Crits    Mass
    1 Ultra AC/5             RA      1   40      7     11.00
      (Ammo Locations: 1 LT, 1 RT)
    1 Ultra AC/5             LA      1           5      9.00
    2 Medium Pulse Lasers    CT      8           2      4.00
    1 ER Large Laser         RA     12           2      5.00
    1 ER Large Laser         LA     12           2      5.00
    CASE Equipment:          LT     RT           2      1.00
    TOTALS:                         36          73     70.00
    Crits & Tons Left:                           5       .00

Calculated Factors:
    Total Cost:        13,742,234 C-Bills
    Battle Value 2:    1,500 (old BV = 1,169)
    Cost per BV2:      9,161.49
    Weapon Value:      1,743 / 1,743 (Ratio = 1.16 / 1.16)
    Damage Factors:    SRDmg = 28;  MRDmg = 20;  LRDmg = 9
    BattleForce2:      MP: 4,  Armor/Structure: 5/3
                       Damage PB/M/L: 4/3/2,  Overheat: 1
                       Class: MH;  Point Value: 15

kx3klFE.png
    Much thanks! I'm also tempted to ask for the JM7-F but it looks to cost even more. That walking A-10 though...

On that note, does anyone reading this have suggestions for what my second heavy should be?

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    edited August 2014
    Much thanks! I'm also tempted to ask for the JM7-F but it looks to cost even more. That walking A-10 though...

On that note, does anyone reading this have suggestions for what my second heavy should be?

honestly, im an old timer stuck in the 3rd succession war. im not sure what "modern" mechs are decent.

whats your cbill price range?

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
    I've got 38 million C-Bills right now. If we wind up playing Assaults later I can sell a 'Mech or two but I'm trying to avoid that.

Also I found another place with JM7-F stuff.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List

Type/Model:    JagerMech JM7-F
    Tech:          Inner Sphere / 3062

Chassis:       Kallon Type XIV Endo Steel Standard
    Power Plant:   280 VOX XL Fusion
    Walking Speed: 43.2 km/h
    Maximum Speed: 64.8 km/h
    Jump Jets:     None
    Jump Capacity: 0 meters
    Armor Type:    Kallon Unity Weave Ferro-Fibrous 
    Armament:      
      2 NAIS Model 2b Rotary AC/5s
      2 Sutel Precision Line Medium Pulse Lasers
      1 Guardian ECM
    Manufacturer:  Kallon Industries
    Communications System:  Garret T-12-S
    Targeting & Tracking System:  Garret T11fc

As part of dealing with the domestic nightmare of the Federated
    Commonwealth's breakup, Archon Prince Victor Steiner-Davion has been forced to
    work overtime to repair his tarnished image as leader among his people and his
    troops. Returning to his warrior roots, Victor decided to boost the spirits of
    his subjects by commissioning updated designs of longtime mainstays of the old
    Federated Suns military and the AFFC. One of these updates is the JagerMech
    III. Long a favorite 'Mech of the Prince's father, the formidable Hanse
    Davion, the JagerMech was Prince Victor's first choice for a refit. Kallon
    Industries, manufacturer of the original design, quickly went to work.

==Capabilities:==
         The JagerMech was customarily relegated to support and fire roles,
    lacking a reputation for strength in stand-up slugfests. On Prince Victor's
    orders, the designers of the JagerMech III hoped to move the new 'Mech to
    high-visibility frontline roles.
         To that end, the JagerMech III is far more robust than its predecessor.
    In place of the dual Ultra autocannons, the new version sports twin particle
    projector cannons and enough heat sinks to compensate for the heat they
    generate. In place of the older Type 2 autocannons, designers installed a pair
    of new Mydron Ultra Type 2 autocannons. Kallon technicians also upgraded the
    fusion reactor to give the 'Mech enough speed to keep up with Inner Sphere and
    Clan 'Mechs of the same weight class. The final design improvement was
    upgraded armor protection. The JagerMech III can do immense damage at long
    ranges; its only major drawback is a lack of significant close-range
    firepower.
         Early field tests of the new design proved its worth. Pilots commented
    that the 'Mech's slightly lower center of gravity aided in maneuverability at
    high speeds. The JagerMech III also appears to blend well with FedCom heavy
    lances in mock simulations against Clan and Inner Sphere opponents.

==Variants:==
         This variant features the new Federated Suns Rotary Autocannons recently
    developed at the NAIS.

==Deployment==
         With two production runs completed, the JagerMech III began to appear in
    AFFC units. Commanders have stated that the new design will see widespread
    use; the initial models were placed in units bordering the Chaos March.
         Even more critical than the appearance of the design is the publicity
    surrounding it. Both the JagerMech III and the Enforcer III are seen as
    important elements in rehabilitating Archon Prince Victor's image and
    revitalizing the morale of his nation. Using the latest technology to improve
    a respected design is seen as a solid move in that direction.

Type/Model:    JagerMech JM7-F

Int. Struct.:  107 pts Standard              0      7.00
    Engine:        280 XL Fusion                12      8.00
       Walking MP:   4
       Running MP:   6
       Jumping MP:   0
    Heat Sinks:     12 Double [24]               3      2.00
     (Heat Sink Loc: 1 RT)
    Gyro:                                        4      3.00
    Cockpit, Life Supt.:                         5      3.00
    Armor Factor:  197 pts Ferro-Fibrous        14     11.00
     (Armor Crit Loc: 4 LA, 4 RA, 2 LT, 2 LL, 2 RL)

Internal    Armor
                              Structure   Value
       Center Torso:             22         34      
       Center Torso (Rear):                  6      
       L/R Arm:                  11      22/22      

1 Rotary AC/5            RA      1   80     10     14.00
      (Ammo Locations: 4 LT)
    1 Rotary AC/5            LA      1           6     10.00
    2 Medium Pulse Lasers    CT      8           2      4.00
    1 Guardian ECM           LT      0           2      1.50
    1 Targeting Computer     RT                  6      6.00
    CASE Equipment:          LT                  1       .50
    TOTALS:                         20          77     70.00
    Crits & Tons Left:                           1       .00

Calculated Factors:
    Total Cost:        13,715,034 C-Bills
    Battle Value 2:    1,774 (old BV = 1,562)
    Cost per BV2:      7,731.14
    Weapon Value:      2,385 / 2,385 (Ratio = 1.34 / 1.34)
    Damage Factors:    SRDmg = 47;  MRDmg = 28;  LRDmg = 3
    BattleForce2:      MP: 4,  Armor/Structure: 5/3
                       Damage PB/M/L: 7/6/-,  Overheat: 0
                       Class: MH;  Point Value: 18
                       Specials: ecm

kx3klFE.png
    Jinggau JN-G8A 14,427,324
    Falconer FLC-8R 18,891,250

Type/Model:    Falconer FLC-8R
    Tech:          Inner Sphere / 3055

Mass:          75 tons
    Chassis:       McLarren-75B Endo Steel
    Power Plant:   375 General Motors XL Fusion
    Walking Speed: 54.0 km/h
    Maximum Speed: 86.4 km/h
    Jump Jets:     5 Devil A7 Standard Jump Jets
    Jump Capacity: 150 meters
    Armor Type:    Valiant Chainmail Standard
    Armament:      
      1 Defiance 1001 ER PPC
      4 Defiance B3M Medium Lasers
      1 Poland Main Model A Gauss Rifle
    Manufacturer:  TharHes Industries
    Communications System:  TharHes Calliope ZE-2
    Targeting & Tracking System:  TharHes Ares-7i

Despite the destruction of the Falcon Guards at the hands of Kai
    Allard-Liao on Twycross, Clan Jade Falcon has had a field day with Federated
    Commonwealth troops. During the initial thrust of the invasion, the Falcons
    easily swept aside all who opposed them. Frustrated F-C commanders searched in
    vain for something that would turn the tide of battle. One suggestion came
    from the Prince of the Federated Suns.
         Hanse Davion, shortly before his tragic death in 3052, wanted to beat the
    Falcons at their own game so he called for a design that would "tame the Jade
    Falcons." It is not known if the name Falconer was originally a joke, but the
    name has stuck to the 'Mech. Ironically, the Falconer title also applies to
    Jade Falcon training officers, a fact of which no one in the Inner Sphere was
    previously aware.

When TharHes Industries accepted the contract to design the 'Mech, they
    were aware of the difficulties of the task. The specifications called for a
    'Mech capable of taking on a Clan OmniMech in combat. Though unable to produce
    OmniMechs, the firm's designers opted to copy a popular Clan design. The
    TharHes team chose the Thor, an OmniMech popular among Jade Falcon warriors,
    as the basis for the Falconer. The spacious Orion chassis, built using endo
    steel processes, was selected for the skeleton of the 'Mech.
         The Falconer makes excellent use of rediscovered Star League technology.
    The GM 375 XL provides a top speed of 86.4 kph. Coupled with the 'Mech's jump
    capability, the Falconer is one of the most mobile heavy BattleMechs in the
    Inner Sphere. The Valiant Chainmail armor also provides solid protection for
    the machine.
         The Poland Main Model A Gauss cannon and the Defiance 1001 ER PPC provide
    accurate and deadly long-range firepower. For close-range combat, the Falconer
    boasts four reliable Defiance medium lasers. Ten double-strength heat sinks
    dispose of the heat produced by its weapons, but this number is not sufficient
    for continual barrage fire.

==Deployment==
         The first run of Falconers has been assigned to the Davion Heavy Guards.
    This is hardly surprising, considering the unit's well-known vendetta against
    the Jade Falcons. The Guards are expected to attack the planet of Black Earth
    in a desperate attempt to win it back from their adversaries.

Type/Model:    Falconer FLC-8R
    Mass:          75 tons

Int. Struct.:  114 pts Endo Steel           14      4.00
     (Endo Steel Loc: 1 HD, 2 LA, 2 RA, 4 LT, 4 RT, 1 CT)
    Engine:        375 XL Fusion                12     19.50
       Walking MP:   5
       Running MP:   8
       Jumping MP:   5
    Heat Sinks:     10 Double [20]               0       .00
    Gyro:                                        4      4.00
    Actuators: L: Sh+UA+LA    R: Sh+UA+LA       14       .00
    Armor Factor:  184 pts Standard              0     11.50

Internal    Armor
                              Structure   Value
       Center Torso:             23         31      
       Center Torso (Rear):                  8      
       L/R Side Torso:           16      21/21      
       L/R Arm:                  12      19/19      
       L/R Leg:                  16      22/22      

1 ER PPC                 LA     15           3      7.00
    2 Medium Lasers          LT      6           2      2.00
    2 Medium Lasers          RT      6           2      2.00
    1 Gauss Rifle            RA      1   16      9     17.00
      (Ammo Locations: 2 RT)
    5 Standard Jump Jets:                        5      5.00
     (Jump Jet Loc: 1 CT, 2 LL, 2 RL)
    TOTALS:                         28          70     75.00
    Crits & Tons Left:                           8       .00

Calculated Factors:
    Total Cost:        18,891,250 C-Bills
    Battle Value 2:    2,231 (old BV = 1,895)
    Cost per BV2:      8,467.62
    Weapon Value:      1,579 / 1,579 (Ratio = .71 / .71)
    Damage Factors:    SRDmg = 28;  MRDmg = 18;  LRDmg = 11
    BattleForce2:      MP: 5J,  Armor/Structure: 5/3
                       Damage PB/M/L: 4/3/2,  Overheat: 2
                       Class: MH;  Point Value: 22

Type/Model:    Jinggau JN-G8A
    Tech:          Inner Sphere / 3060

Mass:          65 tons
    Chassis:       Chariot Type II Endo Steel Endo Steel
    Power Plant:   325 VOX XL XL Fusion
    Walking Speed: 54.0 km/h
    Maximum Speed: 86.4 km/h
    Jump Jets:     5 Hellespont Leaper Standard Jump Jets
    Jump Capacity: 150 meters
    Armor Type:    Valiant DefCo Standard
    Armament:      
      4 Diverse Optics Type ER Medium Lasers
      1 Raker-IV Medium Pulse Laser
      1 Zhi-tong-yao Gauss Rifle
    Manufacturer:  Shengli Arms
    Communications System:  Dian-bao Comms, Heavily Insulated
    Targeting & Tracking System:  Dynatec Special T&T

Toward the end of 3058, Word of Blake's Toyama faction began providing
    Capellan Chancellor Sun-Tzu Liao with technicians and material resources to
    help finish overhauling the old Star League production facility on Victoria.
    This assistance, apparently part of a personal debt owed to Chancellor Liao,
    increased production of the  Duan Gung BattleMech design and helped the
    Capellans to quickly finish work on the Jinggau assembly line. The first
    Jinggau (which means siren) reportedly came off the line in early 3059, though
    for undisclosed reasons production was halted for more than a year, and then
    resumed in limited numbers. Engineers studying the Jinggau are curious about
    its extended-range medium lasers, which are produced in the Free Worlds
    League. As with the Duan Gung, all parts for the Jinggau except for its
    jumpjets and targeting system are intended to be built on Victoria.

The Jinggau is designed to wade into the middle of combat rather than
    skulking around the edges or hoping for a few lucky long-range hits. Its
    top-end mobility for its weight, with a running speed of over 85 kph and
    150-meter jump capability, allow it to close fairly rapidly in almost any
    terrain. For crossing open areas or engaging in stand-up battles, more than
    eleven tons of armor give the Jinggau excellent odds of survival. Presenting a
    lance of Jinggau to the Fourth Tau Ceti Rangers, Sun-Tzu Liao said, "This is
    not a 'Mech relegated to support roles, or reconnaissance or garrison duty.
    This is a BattleMech for seeking out your opponent and doing him harm. This is
    a 'Mech with which to make your enemy miserable."
         That misery comes primarily from the new Zhi-tong-yao ("painkiller')
    Gauss rifle. The rifle, which can worry the pilot of even an assault 'Mech,
    delivers hard blows until the Jinggau closes to the range of its Diverse
    Optics lasers. At that point, the lasers seek weakened spots to eviscerate an
    enemy machine, while the Gauss rifle continues to deliver its knock-down power
    punches. Carrying sixteen rounds of ammunition, in the hands of an experienced
    MechWarrior the Jinggau can expect to match up against three other BattleMechs
    before requiring a reload.

==Deployment==
         Chancellor Liao presented the Fourth Tau Ceti Rangers with one of the
    first Jinggau lances, on the day they accepted his offer to become a regular
    House Liao regiment. Other Jinggau have been seen in the Daidachi and Kamata
    Warrior Houses, and the Chancellor's Death Commandos will likely field them as
    well.
         Even as the Jinggau made its debut, however, rumors regarding the Shengli
    Arms facility continued to spread, especially with regard to this design.
    Stories circulate of off-limits areas, and portions of the Jinggau assembly
    line that are shut down and under guard. Post-production analysis of the
    BattleMech bears out some of the rumors, in that both arm sections have
    obviously been redesigned. This could account for the delays in reaching full
    production, but begs the question of why the CCAF apparently fielded a variant
    ahead of the primary design.

Type/Model:    Jinggau JN-G8A
    Mass:          65 tons

Int. Struct.:  104 pts Endo Steel           14      3.50
     (Endo Steel Loc: 7 LT, 7 RT)
    Engine:        325 XL Fusion                12     12.00
       Walking MP:   5
       Running MP:   8
       Jumping MP:   5
    Heat Sinks:     13 Double [26]               0      3.00
    Gyro:                                        4      4.00
    Armor Factor:  184 pts Standard              0     11.50

Internal    Armor
                              Structure   Value
       Center Torso:             21         28      
       Center Torso (Rear):                  9      
       L/R Arm:                  10      17/17      

4 ER Medium Lasers       LA     20           4      4.00
    1 Medium Pulse Laser     RA      4           1      2.00
    1 Gauss Rifle            RA      1   16      9     17.00
      (Ammo Locations: 2 RT)
    5 Standard Jump Jets:                        5      5.00
     (Jump Jet Loc: 1 CT, 2 LL, 2 RL)
    TOTALS:                         25          66     65.00
    Crits & Tons Left:                          12       .00

Calculated Factors:
    Total Cost:        14,427,324 C-Bills
    Battle Value 2:    2,072 (old BV = 1,924)
    Cost per BV2:      6,962.99
    Weapon Value:      1,898 / 1,898 (Ratio = .92 / .92)
    Damage Factors:    SRDmg = 34;  MRDmg = 18;  LRDmg = 7
    BattleForce2:      MP: 5J,  Armor/Structure: 5/3
                       Damage PB/M/L: 5/4/2,  Overheat: 0
                       Class: MH;  Point Value: 21

kx3klFE.png
    Huh. The F is actually a bit cheaper than the D. And neither is that far off the cost of my darling little MAD-9S.

Thanks for the help, Hydro! I might actually stick with 'Mechs that I actually have models of, though.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    edited August 2014
    So ive found time today to work on the spreadsheet more. Pilot skill level and individual gunnery/piloting skill added. Its pretty slick. Skill levels are per aggregate rules in strat opps. So if the unit is Green overall, it gives you 45% green pilots, 25% regular, 20% vet and 10% elite. Those values change for reg, vet and elite units. So it gives a relastic (and random) mech warrior skill level to each mech in the battallion. Then it rolls the g/p skill from the total warfare rules based on overall skill of the pilot.

Id like to toss in Mechwarrior names too, but that may be stretching it. Need a name database based on the kind of names youd expect in a house/merc unit.

QP3J1h1.png

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
    Fair warning: I'm fresh off of Gen Con, and I've got three full-on posts worth of content in me from the trip. I got some fantastic time in at the Battletech tables, played some games, saw some stuff, and want to share. Spoiler alert: Pictures abound!

Part 1: Random highlights!

I took a lot of pictures of some amazing, neat, or simply eye-catching tables and games. First up: Eye candy. Spoilers for OMGlong:

These tables were set up as a diorama, to show off some exquisite paint jobs and to draw you in from across the room.
    A mixed-unit force comes in from one side of the table. Of note: the superheavy Ares tripod mech, trundling in (slowly) from the back!
    IMG_20140815_133345362_HDR.jpg

Forces collide as a Point of protomechs comes in from the middle:
    IMG_20140815_133336585_HDR.jpg

A coordinated unit pushes in from an opposite corner. Note: Mad Cat MkII's abound on this table.
    IMG_20140815_133328983_HDR.jpg

This table was neat: these guys were playing a game of Battletech. The twist? Nothing but Quads!
    IMG_20140815_133209775_HDR.jpg

In fact, the entire table was nothing but Quad on Quad violence:
    IMG_20140815_133152854.jpg

This shot is just a reminder to myself that yes, Heroscape tiles work extremely well for creating Battletech setups. I should bust mine out, and buy some more sets to build out my collection.
    IMG_20140815_114756936.jpg

Next up: Alpha Strike demo impressions, and a battle report!

• TiglissTigliss Registered User regular
    I need to start browsing outside G&T more often.

Is there a online campaign going with you guys? I'd love to start one, point me to the tools and I'll do the work.

l7n41RV.png
    We had one going, and it was sweet, but it kinda died off since no one could get together to play at the same time.

GET THE ALPHA STRIKE REPORTS!

kx3klFE.png
    Tigliss wrote: »
    I need to start browsing outside G&T more often.

Is there a online campaign going with you guys? I'd love to start one, point me to the tools and I'll do the work.

MekHQ and MegaMek

kx3klFE.png
    We don't have an online campaign currently, though there are tools for playing BattleTech online. As @HydroSqueegee listed above, MegaMek is an online BattleTech tabletop. MekHQ is a separate program that will help you manage your campaign and you can also import mech sheets from Solaris Skunk Werks.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    (WARNING! OMGHUGE IMAGES AHEAD!)

Alright, it's a new day and I've attended to the fifteen minutes of real work I have, so let's get down to:

Part 2 - Alpha Strike (or, how Nips learned to love the Griffin)

Let's preface the Battle Report with a bit of explanation, first. Battletech: Alpha Strike is a companion product to Battletech. It is a fully-fledged product line that was born out of the Quick Strike rules originally found in the Strategic Operations rulebook. Quick Strike, and now Alpha Strike, places an emphasis on fast battle resolution and massive unit formations. A typical game of Alpha Strike can support as little as two 'Mechs dueling, but it was intended for engagements with a company or more on either side.

Other important things to know about how Alpha Strike works:
    -The details of each unit are boiled down to a very small handful of statistics. Alpha Strike doesn't care where damage is dealt, or what weapons are used, just how much total damage a mech can dish out and take.
    -All of the things that you'd expect in Battletech show up in Alpha Strike. All the mechs, all the technology, all the weird special equipment, all of it. Even WiGE vehicles, though those can go die in a fire.
    -Alpha Strike is designed as a freeform tabletop combat game, and principally uses the kind of setup other skirmish-level tabletop games do (Warhammer, Kings of War, etc.). The game as written uses 3d terrain with no underlying grid. However, the rulebook does include conversions for using the hex-gridded mapsheets that we've grown up with; the conversion is pretty straightforward.
    -Alpha Strike really shines when you start to get a whole lot of units on the tabletop. For reference the demo game I played had four players, each with a lance, and we played a good six rounds or so in under forty minutes. For reference, the Battletech Grinder match I played in took two hours, and I think we completed eight turns total with only seven mechs on the board. The game moves quickly once you've got a handle on the basic rules.
    -Alpha Strike also includes extensive rules for battlefield conditions, campaign- and strategic-level effects, force building, campaign scenarios.... it's designed for big, ongoing serial games and campaigns.

The product line currently includes the core book (Battletech: Alpha Strike), the Companion book (expanded rules, and some additional revisions, though not necessary), unit cards (more in a moment), and supplemental of compiled tables from the core book. Only the core book is required to get a game started (in addition to minis, a tabletop, some tape measures, and players).

Here's one of the best parts of the game: You will never need to buy a Record Sheet book. Each 'Mech has a unit card, of which a selection have been collected and printed in the Ad Hoc Unit Card set. However, these are simply a nicety; CGL is also providing the stat cards for every unit in Battletech's existence via http://www.masterunitlist.info/. Got a particular 'Mech chassis and variant you want to try? Look it up! At the bottom of the page, you'll see this (spoiler for LOLhuge):
    3485?skill=4

That is a single unit card, for the WHM-6D Warhammer. Any unit you can think of, if it's on the Master Unit List website, has an Alpha Strike card. Print or transcribe, and play!

So how does Alpha Strike play? Quite simply! In each turn, the forces roll for initiative. The loser moves a unit, then the winner, back and forth until all units have moved. Then the winner proceeds to make all his attacks, then the defender does the same. Once complete, damage is tallied, downed mechs are removed, and you're onto the next turn. It's really as simple as that.

So let's see how a game might shape up. Onto the Battle Report!

Alpha Strike: The Gen Con Demo Battle (aka the Laundry Run)

My force consisted of a Griffin, a Jagermech, a Dragon, and a Panther:
    IMG_20140814_180135728_HDR.jpg

The battlefield was a sparse cityscape, only a few buildings and small plots of trees (the green patches) obscuring the terrain. On my first turn, I advanced each of my 'Mechs forward according to their speed values:
    IMG_20140814_182227262.jpg

It turns out, my force was pretty nimble, minus the Jagermech. The Griffin, in particular, keep your eye on. The enemy forces to my left chose to either (a) hide or (b) start too far away, and so you won't see much of them. The opponent across from me however, knew what battle was about, and drove his 'Mechs straight in: a Catapult, an Awesome, a Valkyrie, and an Assassin. Nothing was in range to fire effectively, so we tensed up for the following round.

On my second turn, my force continued its advance. Wary of the force to my left (coming out of hiding) and to avoid getting flanked, my forces split their attention:
    IMG_20140814_184348656.jpg

The Assassin ahead dove into a small patch of woods, while the Awesome and Catapult hugged the corner of a building. The Valkyrie, off the right hand side, jumped to the roof of a nearby low building.

Weapons fire began to ring out across the square, as the Awesome traded shots with my trio of 'Mechs. The Assassin attempted a shot, but was off the mark.

In the third turn, I lost initiative, and the enemy Assassin used its jump jets to reach the top of the skyscraper. The Catapult hopped to the roof of the short building, and the Awesome rounded the corner to engage fully. My Griffin was issued orders to pick up the brigade's laundry from the top floor of the skyscraper. It made its prodigious jump to the top, just clearing the lip of the roof. Chaos then ensued!
    IMG_20140814_190448495_HDR.jpg

Weapons fire rained across the square and atop the skyscraper. The Assassin shot down on my forces, along with the Catapult, Awesome, and Valkyrie. The enemy MechWarriors spread their shots, however, only doing superficial damage. My ground forces focus-fired on the Awesome, landing several solid hits, breaking through its armor and damaging its targeting system.

In the following round, the Awesome attempted a tactical withdrawal as my ground forces swung hard right to maintain line of sight. The Catapult and Valkyrie held their ground, while my Griffin moved to engage the rear arc of the Assassin. Surprisingly, the Assassin turned and charged my Griffin!

Another rain of shots crossed the square, and my Panther lined up its PPC, catching the Awesome squarely in the torso and blowing clear through its internals. The assault mech was dropped!
    IMG_20140814_193624975_HDR.jpg

My Griffin pilot fired furiously at the charging Assassin, but made a fatal mistake: by retreating to the west edge of the roof, it left his rear armor exposed to the forces below on my left.
    2078be79-bc3f-4de6-84fa-1229c26fb86d.jpg

The Griffin, overexposed, was caught in a pincer of weapons fire and the Assassin's charge. The damage overwhelmed it, crumpling to the roof of the skyscraper, and its pilot ejected.

The engagement continued on for a few turns more, but no pilot could decisively land a killing blow while jockeying for position on the battlefield.

All in all, the demo game was fantastic fun. I can see it being a great change of pace to play Battletech while minimizing the amount of book-keeping involved. I bought the core book, and I'm super excited to try it out more at home with my friends.

Coming up tomorrow: Part 3 - A Battletech Grinder battle report, and more Eye Candy!

Nips wrote: »
    (WARNING! OMGHUGE IMAGES AHEAD!)

Alright, it's a new day and I've attended to the fifteen minutes of real work I have, so let's get down to:

Part 2 - Alpha Strike (or, how Nips learned to love the Griffin)

Let's preface the Battle Report with a bit of explanation, first. Battletech: Alpha Strike is a companion product to Battletech. It is a fully-fledged product line that was born out of the Quick Strike rules originally found in the Strategic Operations rulebook. Quick Strike, and now Alpha Strike, places an emphasis on fast battle resolution and massive unit formations. A typical game of Alpha Strike can support as little as two 'Mechs dueling, but it was intended for engagements with a company or more on either side.

Other important things to know about how Alpha Strike works:
    -The details of each unit are boiled down to a very small handful of statistics. Alpha Strike doesn't care where damage is dealt, or what weapons are used, just how much total damage a mech can dish out and take.
    -All of the things that you'd expect in Battletech show up in Alpha Strike. All the mechs, all the technology, all the weird special equipment, all of it. Even WiGE vehicles, though those can go die in a fire.
    -Alpha Strike is designed as a freeform tabletop combat game, and principally uses the kind of setup other skirmish-level tabletop games do (Warhammer, Kings of War, etc.). The game as written uses 3d terrain with no underlying grid. However, the rulebook does include conversions for using the hex-gridded mapsheets that we've grown up with; the conversion is pretty straightforward.
    -Alpha Strike really shines when you start to get a whole lot of units on the tabletop. For reference the demo game I played had four players, each with a lance, and we played a good six rounds or so in under forty minutes. For reference, the Battletech Grinder match I played in took two hours, and I think we completed eight turns total with only seven mechs on the board. The game moves quickly once you've got a handle on the basic rules.
    -Alpha Strike also includes extensive rules for battlefield conditions, campaign- and strategic-level effects, force building, campaign scenarios.... it's designed for big, ongoing serial games and campaigns.

The product line currently includes the core book (Battletech: Alpha Strike), the Companion book (expanded rules, and some additional revisions, though not necessary), unit cards (more in a moment), and supplemental of compiled tables from the core book. Only the core book is required to get a game started (in addition to minis, a tabletop, some tape measures, and players).

Here's one of the best parts of the game: You will never need to buy a Record Sheet book. Each 'Mech has a unit card, of which a selection have been collected and printed in the Ad Hoc Unit Card set. However, these are simply a nicety; CGL is also providing the stat cards for every unit in Battletech's existence via http://www.masterunitlist.info/. Got a particular 'Mech chassis and variant you want to try? Look it up! At the bottom of the page, you'll see this (spoiler for LOLhuge):
    3485?skill=4

That is a single unit card, for the WHM-6D Warhammer. Any unit you can think of, if it's on the Master Unit List website, has an Alpha Strike card. Print or transcribe, and play!

So how does Alpha Strike play? Quite simply! In each turn, the forces roll for initiative. The loser moves a unit, then the winner, back and forth until all units have moved. Then the winner proceeds to make all his attacks, then the defender does the same. Once complete, damage is tallied, downed mechs are removed, and you're onto the next turn. It's really as simple as that.

So let's see how a game might shape up. Onto the Battle Report!

Alpha Strike: The Gen Con Demo Battle (aka the Laundry Run)

My force consisted of a Griffin, a Jagermech, a Dragon, and a Panther:
    IMG_20140814_180135728_HDR.jpg

The battlefield was a sparse cityscape, only a few buildings and small plots of trees (the green patches) obscuring the terrain. On my first turn, I advanced each of my 'Mechs forward according to their speed values:
    IMG_20140814_182227262.jpg

It turns out, my force was pretty nimble, minus the Jagermech. The Griffin, in particular, keep your eye on. The enemy forces to my left chose to either (a) hide or (b) start too far away, and so you won't see much of them. The opponent across from me however, knew what battle was about, and drove his 'Mechs straight in: a Catapult, an Awesome, a Valkyrie, and an Assassin. Nothing was in range to fire effectively, so we tensed up for the following round.

On my second turn, my force continued its advance. Wary of the force to my left (coming out of hiding) and to avoid getting flanked, my forces split their attention:
    IMG_20140814_184348656.jpg

The Assassin ahead dove into a small patch of woods, while the Awesome and Catapult hugged the corner of a building. The Valkyrie, off the right hand side, jumped to the roof of a nearby low building.

Weapons fire began to ring out across the square, as the Awesome traded shots with my trio of 'Mechs. The Assassin attempted a shot, but was off the mark.

In the third turn, I lost initiative, and the enemy Assassin used its jump jets to reach the top of the skyscraper. The Catapult hopped to the roof of the short building, and the Awesome rounded the corner to engage fully. My Griffin was issued orders to pick up the brigade's laundry from the top floor of the skyscraper. It made its prodigious jump to the top, just clearing the lip of the roof. Chaos then ensued!
    IMG_20140814_190448495_HDR.jpg

Weapons fire rained across the square and atop the skyscraper. The Assassin shot down on my forces, along with the Catapult, Awesome, and Valkyrie. The enemy MechWarriors spread their shots, however, only doing superficial damage. My ground forces focus-fired on the Awesome, landing several solid hits, breaking through its armor and damaging its targeting system.

In the following round, the Awesome attempted a tactical withdrawal as my ground forces swung hard right to maintain line of sight. The Catapult and Valkyrie held their ground, while my Griffin moved to engage the rear arc of the Assassin. Surprisingly, the Assassin turned and charged my Griffin!

Another rain of shots crossed the square, and my Panther lined up its PPC, catching the Awesome squarely in the torso and blowing clear through its internals. The assault mech was dropped!
    IMG_20140814_193624975_HDR.jpg

My Griffin pilot fired furiously at the charging Assassin, but made a fatal mistake: by retreating to the west edge of the roof, it left his rear armor exposed to the forces below on my left.
    2078be79-bc3f-4de6-84fa-1229c26fb86d.jpg

The Griffin, overexposed, was caught in a pincer of weapons fire and the Assassin's charge. The damage overwhelmed it, crumpling to the roof of the skyscraper, and its pilot ejected.

The engagement continued on for a few turns more, but no pilot could decisively land a killing blow while jockeying for position on the battlefield.

All in all, the demo game was fantastic fun. I can see it being a great change of pace to play Battletech while minimizing the amount of book-keeping involved. I bought the core book, and I'm super excited to try it out more at home with my friends.

Coming up tomorrow: Part 3 - A Battletech Grinder battle report, and more Eye Candy!

CURSES! where do you live! I could totally go for alpha strike. And i can make heaps of terrain since i already mkae plenty for my trains.

kx3klFE.png
    I live between Chicago and Milwaukee, WI. :D

If the humidity would ever break here, I could continue painting my BT figs so as to not be embarrassed when they're on the board. Stupid weather. Seeing all the fancy painted 'Mechs at the Con made me want to double-down on getting that done.

Damn. I live on the east side of the Dayton suburbs. I plan to try to make it to Gencon next year.

kx3klFE.png