As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Simpsons Marathon is on right now, Let's discuss the show's downfall.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    If you find the first bad episode of the Simpsons after the show became popular (let's say season 3), then you can probably find when the dip in show's overall quality began, too.

The first really bad episode of the Simpsons was season 11's Saddlesore Galactica, an episode about a racing horse with attitude and a conspiracy involving elves. That was the beginning of the end.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    The episode I remember thinking "Huh..that was really bad" was when they go to England and shoe horn just any random cameo.

I think it even had a cameo from fucking Joe Millionaire.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    If you find the first bad episode of the Simpsons after the show became popular (let's say season 3), then you can probably find when the dip in show's overall quality began, too.

The first really bad episode of the Simpsons was season 11's Saddlesore Galactica, an episode about a racing horse with attitude and a conspiracy involving elves. That was the beginning of the end.

Everyone hates that episode. While I agree things had started declining by that point that episode is apocalyptically bad. You'd be hard-pressed to find episodes that are worse.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular

I'd say the first "really bad" episode was the one where Principal Skinner turned out to be an impostor. I think it was Season 8 or 9. I'm pretty sure some of the writers from that time have said that they really regret that episode.

Al Jean has been the principal showrunner since Season 13. I blame the downhill turn on him.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    I would contend that Season 8 is the best season of any comedy show. It is all killer, no filler, and "Homer's Enemy" is the best episode of the series.

I'd say season 9 is when the quality started to decline, as it starts with the duds "City of New York vs Homer Simpson" and "Principal & The Pauper."

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Yep, Simpsons World is going to have every single episode available for streaming.

You'll have to be a subscriber to FXX though.

Fuck

To get that channel I think is like another $20 a month on my already stupid comcast bill, I think...

Oh well, maybe I'll just splurge and buy seasons 2 & 4-8 on dvd. Already have 3. Amazon wins

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    "Taramoor wrote: »
    Mr_Burns.png222px-Waylon_Smithers_1.png
    Charles Montgomery Burns and Waylon Smithers. Mr. Burns is Homer's boss, he owns the nuclear plant and is of indeterminate age. He is modeled after Charles Foster Kane of Citizen Kane fame. Waylon Smithers is his assistant and wants to make sweet crazy love to those crisp aging bones.

Other characters of importance:
    SimpsonsWallpaper_zps83c8f862.jpg

Pro Into the Woods reference.
    Also I used to have a shirt with that image on it. Or probably an older version of that image since it was the cast from when I was in high school, like, 15 years ago.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    'Have The Rolling Stones killed' is the most incredibly perfect response to The Ramones performance in the world.

• Options
    GlyphGryphGlyphGryph Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    I would like to remind everyone that the odds of there ever being another show where you can say "It got good again around season 20" are virtually zero.

Doctor Who got got again around season 27 or 28. So not the only one, so the odds probably aren't zero. South Park might well manage it too!

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Xaquin wrote: »
    'Have The Rolling Stones killed' is the most incredibly perfect response to The Ramones performance in the world.

Though it now has a slightly sad ironic tinge, seeing as how now every original Ramone is dead, yet every Rolling Stone except for the one who drowned in his 20s is still alive.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    GlyphGryph wrote: »
    I would like to remind everyone that the odds of there ever being another show where you can say "It got good again around season 20" are virtually zero.

Doctor Who got got again around season 27 or 28. So not the only one, so the odds probably aren't zero. South Park might well manage it too!

I did not know there was that much Doctor Who. That's a lot of Doctor Who.

It will be interesting to see if South Park can maintain for that long.

• Options
    GlyphGryphGlyphGryph Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    They actually felt the numbers were getting too high and starting the counting over, so they are currently running Season 8, which is the 34th Season of the show.

Southpark is up to Season 18, so they've only got a bit further to go.

It's really impressive when a show manages to last that long and still turn out good seasons though

GlyphGryph on
  • Options
    Also when I was in middleschool and highschool, our local WB affiliate would have The Simpsons on at 5:00 and 6:00, and I think maybe 10:00 (or maybe that was another episod of Friends, one of them was 3 times a day)
    I would try and catch them all. It was one of the few things my sister and I did together.
    Our French teacher in highschool loved The Simpsons. Every Monday when I came in to class I was greeted with " 'Allo Daveed! Deed you watch ze Seempsons last night? Eet was so good!"

I heard a story on NPR several months ago about a play a company was doing that takes place in a post-apocalypitc USA.
    The first act is survivors of it shortly afterwards recounting their favorite Simpsons episode (Bart goes into witness protection) around a fire for entertainment.
    The second act is a few years later, where they are a traveling troupe going around putting it on as a play to entertain those rebuilding society.
    Third act is many decades later where their descendants are reenacting it, only now it is myth that is tied into the story of the apocalypse.
    It sounded pretty interesting.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited August 2014

Dr Who is arguably disqualified as there was a huge years long 16 year break in production. While it wasn't exactly rebooted it didn't build up the old ties very much until the new series had been going for awhile.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Our French teacher in highschool loved The Simpsons. Every Monday when I came in to class I was greeted with " 'Allo Daveed! Deed you watch ze Seempsons last night? Eet was so good!"

Please tell me that you said the following (in your best terrible Scottish accent) to that same teacher:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUjGf2Grrus

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »

Please tell me that you said the following (in your best terrible Scottish accent) to that same teacher:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUjGf2Grrus

I did not. She did let us watch the episode where Bart went to France once instead of our usual biweekly French film.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Best Simpsons episodes ever were the Monorail episode and Homer in Space.

De-fault De-fault De-fault.

Homer in Space has one of my favorite visual jokes of all time, when Barney plummets out of the sky from the jetpack, lands on the hard roof of a Pillow Factory, lands on the street, and is run over by a Marshmallow truck.

Also, "I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords."

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    I would contend that Season 8 is the best season of any comedy show. It is all killer, no filler, and "Homer's Enemy" is the best episode of the series.

I'd say season 9 is when the quality started to decline, as it starts with the duds "City of New York vs Homer Simpson" and "Principal & The Pauper."

Maybe this is because I'm from New York, but I love, love, love "City of New York vs Homer Simpson." When he tells that construction guy he's fired so he can steal his jackhammer, I always lose it.

The last season of South Park was fantastic, so they don't even need to make it to 20 to get good again.

My personal favorite episode is "You Only Move Twice." Hank Scorpio is just that fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0yxfVFDD-0

silence1186 on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

I'd say the first "really bad" episode was the one where Principal Skinner turned out to be an impostor. I think it was Season 8 or 9. I'm pretty sure some of the writers from that time have said that they really regret that episode.

Al Jean has been the principal showrunner since Season 13. I blame the downhill turn on him.

Haha what? That episode is pitch perfect commentary on the absurd lengths shows go to preserve status quo

And the writer to this day will fight you over it

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Camp Krusty is one of my favorites and it has some great lines.

Lisa: "I feel like I'm gonna die, Bart."
    Bart: "We're all gonna die, Lis'."
    Lisa: "I meant soon."
    Bart: "So did I."

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Camp Krusty is one of my favorites and it has some great lines.

Lisa: "I feel like I'm gonna die, Bart."
    Bart: "We're all gonna die, Lis'."
    Lisa: "I meant soon."
    Bart: "So did I."

Bart: This camp was a nightmare. They fed us gruel, forced us to make wallets for export and one of the campers was eaten by a bear!

Krusty the Clown: Oh, my god!

Bart: Actually, the bear just ate his hat.

Krusty the Clown: Was it a nice hat?

Bart: Oh yeah.

Krusty the Clown: Oh, my god!

• Options

Maybe this is because I'm from New York, but I love, love, love "City of New York vs Homer Simpson." When he tells that construction guy he's fired so he can steal his jackhammer, I always lose it.

The last season of South Park was fantastic, so they don't even need to make it to 20 to get good again.

My personal favorite episode is "You Only Move Twice." Hank Scorpio is just that fantastic.

Oh, the Hammock District

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Finally a thread in my wheel house.

the two aforementioned season 9 eps are great- weaker than 8 but greats. in no way bad.

"Sunday, Cruddy Sunday" is where it goes sideways for me. Its not great- season 10 finished with some absolute classics.... then 11 gets a few duds.... then your get into dud to good one ratios. Saddlesore for sure isn't great.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I think I lost patience with the Simpsons when it started to seem like every episode was a meandering collection of plots/jokes without much relation to each other, with some flimsy excuse for whatever celebrity cameo they had that week.

I've seen some good stuff since (I remember another Albert Brooks character that made me laugh a lot), but stuff like the tennis episode (cameos: Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi, Williams sisters) or the one where Homer becomes friends with Alec Baldwin, Kim Bassinger, and Ron Howard were just not anywhere near as funny as most of the tighter episodes with actual plot. And it just sort of continued along those same lines.

• Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I can still remember watching the first episode when it aired, and it was a harbinger of doom for our nation's children if they got ahold of it. Kids talking back to adults, telling them to eat my shorts, etc. I can also remember my mom sitting me down to have this weird talk with me about how she didn't want me watching it, but would leave it up to me.

I think Three Men and a Comic Book still stands as my all time favorite episode.

I also think I still have the original issues of the Simpsons comics somewhere around here.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's about where and how I lost interest too. Going from celebrities playing a character to just playing themselves, with the only joke being "I'm celebrity X!". The best "celebrity for celebrity sake" was the godly Leonard Nimoy cameo in the monorail ep.

That all being said, I did get a kick out of the Lucy Lawless cameo, when at the end she just flies away.

"Wait, Xena can't fly!"
    "I told you, I'm not Xena, I'm Lucy Lawless."

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Oh, the Hammock District

Here have some sugar. Sorry it's not in packets.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    The Computer Wore Menace Shoes was one of my later day favs

simpsons.jpg

Where Homer becomes an outline journalist writing nonsense and gets abducted into a terrible Prisoner parody

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Yeah, that's about where and how I lost interest too. Going from celebrities playing a character to just playing themselves, with the only joke being "I'm celebrity X!". The best "celebrity for celebrity sake" was the godly Leonard Nimoy cameo in the monorail ep.

That all being said, I did get a kick out of the Lucy Lawless cameo, when at the end she just flies away.

"Wait, Xena can't fly!"
    "I told you, I'm not Xena, I'm Lucy Lawless."

A magnet holds lucy lawless captive...
    "(struggling) Must.... take off... metal breast plate"
    Con nerds all raise thier cameras in preperation....
    "..... maybe later"

And yes- celebs who play themselves. "The simpson are going to X". Used to be a funny joke.

Tom Arnold did play himself in that episode where they shot all the idiots into the sun. good for him.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    All this hacking is making me thirsty.

Think I'll have a tab.

• Options
    Man, I love the Adam Baldwin episode.

"You killed Ron Howard!"

"Ohhh....Royal Crown cola!"

• Options

Think I'll have a tab.

You have selected..Regicide. If you know the name of king or queen being murdered press 1 now

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Oh, the Hammock District

Here have some sugar. Sorry it's not in packets.

Want some cream?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Think I'll have a tab.

Oh come on, do the whole quote!

Press any key to continue. I see esc, kitarl, and pigup...I don't see any any key! Phew, all this computer hacking is making me thirsy, I think I'll order a tab. *hits Tab* Up, no time for that, my computer is starting up!

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    The Computer Wore Menace Shoes was one of my later day favs

simpsons.jpg

Where Homer becomes an outline journalist writing nonsense and gets abducted into a terrible Prisoner parody

Leader: As far as your family knows, Homer Simpson is walking in the front door right about now.
    Homer: (Taking his face out of ice cream with needles sticking out) I'm sorry, what?
    (Next scene at the Simpson house)
    Marge: Homie!
    Fake Homer: (Speaking with a German accent) Marge, honey, Fraulein, I'm home!
    Marge: You're not my husband!
    Fake Homer: Ja, please forgive my unexplained two week absence. To make it up to you we will go out to dinner at a sensibly-priced restaurant, then have a night of efficient German sex.
    Marge: Well, I sure don't feel like cooking.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    Welcome to Lee Carvallo's Putting Challenge. I am Lee Carvallo. Now, choose a club. You have chosen a three wood. May I suggest a putter? *beep* Three wood. Now enter the force of your swing. I suggest feather touch. You have entered POWER DRIVE. Now, push seven eight seven to swing. Ball is in...parking lot. Would you like to play again? You have selected, No.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    tht was the one with thrill-house. :D

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    edited August 2014

inXkHPR.png

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    That tennis episode was the one that really made me go what the fuck and realize I don't have to watch the show on a live basis.. Not only was the animation really bad (might have been the start of some kind of new digital stuff but the eyes looked so weird that episode), but the jokes were bad (they go from Grandpa's talent show to a tennis court) and everyone used tennis racquets that were 30 years old. NO ONE PLAYS WITH WOOD ANYMORE. And the cameos were ridiculous. You have four of the best players ever just say one line and that's it? Get over yourself.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I caught an episode recently and it honestly wasn't bad at all.

Though that said I have so much available that current Simpsons just doesn't come close to being good enough.