As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ANA[CHAT]DA

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    The smiling thing is totally a cultural thing though.

I have a Russian friend, she smiles now, but I was talking with her and it was one of the weirder things that she had to adjust to was people smiling at her on the street.

And of course expecting her to smile.

So yeah, we're a strangely friendly bunch in at least the US/America's Hat

Swiss girl asked me yesterday about how all her coworkers/bosses at her internship tell her how great her work is and how well she's doing, and that she knows she's doing pointless busywork

Is America just always nice? She's like I'm not used to these compliments, it feels like everyone is lying

Is she gorgeous

Would I interact with someone less than gorgeous

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    zepherin wrote: »
    How dangerous being a cop is is also wildly overstated.

Being a construction worker is about as dangerous.
    Depends on the type of construction worker, but often times being a construction worker is dangerous because of human stupidity, where being a cop is dangerous because of malice aforethought.

The most dangerous jobs are dangerous because you are working in isolated places far from help (logging / fishing), jobs where there is a fall risk (roofing) or you're working with dangerous equipment (construction worker / farmer).

The more of those factors the more dangerous the job.
    This is true, however from a construction side machismo, rushing and stupidity cause a lot of those fall injuries. I've been doing construction projects for 4 years now, and I've never seen a person seriously injured from a fall when they were wearing proper fall protection. I have seen a dumb ass opening up a drum of paint stripper (flammable) with a blowtorch burn the shit out of himself...I shit you not, this is my best guy.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    I wonder if Americans got really self-conscious following the 2000s where we were all getting dumped on for being obnoxious so we've tried to compensate for it.

compensated by... being louder and more obnoxious?
    i thought the irish love america

america

not americans so much

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    I wonder if Americans got really self-conscious following the 2000s where we were all getting dumped on for being obnoxious so we've tried to compensate for it.

compensated by... being louder and more obnoxious?
    i thought the irish love america

No, the Irish just love leaving Ireland and living here instead

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »

We've been getting dumped on for being obnoxious a lot longer than just the last decade and a half.

Yeah, but the 2000s was when we actually started hearing/paying attention to it.

I feel like you're just making this up

Pretty sure Americans knew that Europeans thought of us as arrogant and obnoxious for decades and decades at least.

My dad has stories from his time in France in the late 50s / early 60s.

This is not new.

edit: and americans think the same about lots of other foreign peoples! Nationalism is fun!

I actually think its mostly French who don't like US tourists above and beyond normal tourist disdain.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    i go thorough one of the more touristy parts of dublin twice a day five days a week

it is awful

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    wazilla wrote: »
    Black coffee is like... what? 3 calories and a bunch of good stuff and some caffeine which is great stuff

the best stuff.

Once you get used to the taste, there really isn't anything better to drink than black coffee. It all tastes the same to me now.

Although I'll occasionally make a pot at night and use some of the premixed Kahlua White Russians as a creamer.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    You know who loves Americans?

The Japanese.

They are all about us.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Neco wrote: »
    I as once walkig to work last year, and on my way there someone walking past said "You need to smile! It is a BEAUTIFUL day!"

He said this to me in a very angry tone. He was not smiling.

He was angry at you for not smiling.

You ruined his day.

• Options
    The smiling thing is totally a cultural thing though.

I have a Russian friend, she smiles now, but I was talking with her and it was one of the weirder things that she had to adjust to was people smiling at her on the street.

And of course expecting her to smile.

So yeah, we're a strangely friendly bunch in at least the US/America's Hat

Swiss girl asked me yesterday about how all her coworkers/bosses at her internship tell her how great her work is and how well she's doing, and that she knows she's doing pointless busywork

Is America just always nice? She's like I'm not used to these compliments, it feels like everyone is lying

Is she gorgeous

Would I interact with someone less than gorgeous

(I mean why else would I talk to all you bros uguu)

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i go thorough one of the more touristy parts of dublin twice a day five days a week

it is awful

i would just like to say that when I was in dublin i was lovely and polite and only mostly drunk

• Options
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    PantsB wrote: »

We've been getting dumped on for being obnoxious a lot longer than just the last decade and a half.

Yeah, but the 2000s was when we actually started hearing/paying attention to it.

Pretty sure Americans knew that Europeans thought of us as arrogant and obnoxious for decades and decades at least.

This is not new.

edit: and americans think the same about lots of other foreign peoples! Nationalism is fun!

I actually think its mostly French who don't like US tourists above and beyond normal tourist disdain.

Italians too, from my experiences in the early to mid 90s.

Germans also, though their reasons are admittedly different.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular

This is not new.

not unique to US tourists

Paris Syndrome for instance

• Options

it is awful

i would just like to say that when I was in dublin i was lovely and polite and only mostly drunk

drunk is great

being loud and obnoxious and in the way and downright cliched is just awful

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    American tourists in Paris are pretty bad.

In Cambridge I mostly hate groups of Spanish and French school kids

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

it is awful

drunk is great

Don't be so hard on your people

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    kaleedity wrote: »

This is not new.

not unique to US tourists

Paris Syndrome for instance

Alright yeah but

I mean who actually likes tourists from Asian countries?

• Options
    At least tourists in Boston stick to areas I don't give a shit about, they aren't in my way on the freedom trail

NYC must be awful

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    I as once walkig to work last year, and on my way there someone walking past said "You need to smile! It is a BEAUTIFUL day!"

He said this to me in a very angry tone. He was not smiling.

I hope he was as angry about it as he sounded

That would be an awesome person to run into

• Options
    i never even once picked up an irishman and tried to shake the gold out of his pockets

• Options

it is awful

drunk is great

Don't be so hard on your people

10/10 wicked sick bro applying ice to the burned area

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Germans also, though their reasons are admittedly different.
    ???

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    europeans are just jealous of the fact that america rules old world droolz

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Sugar

poo
  • Options
    i never even once picked up an irishman and tried to shake the gold out of his pockets

All the gold was shaken out of those pockets a long time ago.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

dat req for free work doe

• Options
    In a lot of Canadian bars

Just sort of vaguely crashing through each other on your way to the other end of the bar is pretty typical

But it also involves a LOT of apologizing

• Options
    Swiss girl is also astounded by how many places we find to stick peanut butter

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options

dat req for free work doe

i've seen like, 3-4 people post about it already

it's p shameless

• Options
    I just burped and it tasted like chicken noodle soup

*gives coffee alarmed glance*

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    tourists everywhere are awful but i think it's probably best to get over it. i've lived primarily in philly, nyc, and just outside tel aviv- tourists galore. they're out of their element, they're excited- they're also frazzled, worried about their itinerary and their finances. something snapped in my brain after the one millionth tourist faux pas i encountered and i've started to find them semi-endearing and funny.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Does anyone else find it odd when people Like their own Facebook posts?

• Options

:winky:

• Options

showed her the old dog trick, eh?

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    My bathrobe isn't nice and soft anymore. This displeases me greatly.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

:winky:

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »

You kids and your social medias

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Nova_C wrote: »

I want to do it all the time.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    like a red headed stepchild

This discussion has been closed.