As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ANA[CHAT]DA

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    In a lot of Canadian bars

Just sort of vaguely crashing through each other on your way to the other end of the bar is pretty typical

But it also involves a LOT of apologizing

"Sorry, excuse me. Excuse me. Pardon me. Sorry, pardon me. Excuse me, sorry. Pardon me."

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Swiss girl is also astounded by how many places we find to stick peanut butter

:winky:
    Swiss girl is also astounded by how many places we find to stick peanut butter

showed her the old dog trick, eh?

I realized dis right after I post

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited August 2014
    At least tourists in Boston stick to areas I don't give a shit about, they aren't in my way on the freedom trail

NYC must be awful

To be honest, outside of Penn Station/Grand Central if you have to make a transfer, most people live and work in places the tourists aren't constantly going.

Even some of the huge tourist spots like the museums and central park are just so goddamned massive that you don't feel like you are wading through seas of unwashed outsiders.

Avoid the midtown shit-belt of Times Square / Port Authority / Madison Square Garden / Macy's / Radio City / Rockefeller Center (low 30s to high 50s) and you will have no issues whatsoever.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Does anyone else find it odd when people Like their own Facebook posts?

I want to do it all the time.

Goddamn mod superpowers

That Hail Hydra upset me on a very lizard-brain level

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular

i know someone who does it because it's their thing that they do

i've never seen anyone else do it

• wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular

Sometimes I see it done in a winking way.

Most of the time it's just creepy though.

"JUST SCORED SOME GHB" - 1 Like - Creep That Posted It

Psn:wazukki
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    kaleedity wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    I wonder if Americans got really self-conscious following the 2000s where we were all getting dumped on for being obnoxious so we've tried to compensate for it.

We've been getting dumped on for being obnoxious a lot longer than just the last decade and a half.

Yeah, but the 2000s was when we actually started hearing/paying attention to it.

I feel like you're just making this up

Pretty sure Americans knew that Europeans thought of us as arrogant and obnoxious for decades and decades at least.

My dad has stories from his time in France in the late 50s / early 60s.

This is not new.

edit: and americans think the same about lots of other foreign peoples! Nationalism is fun!

I actually think its mostly French who don't like US tourists above and beyond normal tourist disdain.

not unique to US tourists

Paris Syndrome for instance

Alright yeah but

I mean who actually likes tourists from Asian countries?

they're real quiet

you might walk into one on accident tho

ftOqU21.png
    I have been staying up far too late watching The Killing. I watched the first episode months ago, thought it was all right, but didn't go back for a long time. A couple days ago I went back and have been binging on it ever since.

But, like most crime dramas that focus on one case for their entire series, not just a season, the constant bait and switch with the audience is getting ridiculous.

Organichu wrote: »
    tourists everywhere are awful but i think it's probably best to get over it. i've lived primarily in philly, nyc, and just outside tel aviv- tourists galore. they're out of their element, they're excited- they're also frazzled, worried about their itinerary and their finances. something snapped in my brain after the one millionth tourist faux pas i encountered and i've started to find them semi-endearing and funny.

I find them endearing as long as I am not myself being a tourist at the time

then it's all tomato in the mirror

OH MY GOD I'M ONE OF THEM! I'M ONE OF THEM!

ftOqU21.png
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

tumblr_n865vdE7P91rdzuduo1_1280.jpg

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    i should be able to agree with my own posts

i agree with nearly every single one of them

919UOwT.png
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    I wonder if Americans got really self-conscious following the 2000s where we were all getting dumped on for being obnoxious so we've tried to compensate for it.

We've been getting dumped on for being obnoxious a lot longer than just the last decade and a half.

Yeah, but the 2000s was when we actually started hearing/paying attention to it.

Pretty sure Americans knew that Europeans thought of us as arrogant and obnoxious for decades and decades at least.

This is not new.

edit: and americans think the same about lots of other foreign peoples! Nationalism is fun!

I actually think its mostly French who don't like US tourists above and beyond normal tourist disdain.

Alright yeah but

they're friendly and polite and they take pictures with ipads they're great

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »

This is not new.

Alright yeah but

they're real quiet

you might walk into one on accident tho

I think they are adorable.

When I was working at a convenience store in Bumfuck, Nowhere a whole bus of them showed up. The full tourist thing, like they just got dropped off in Times Square. Snapping pictures, posing with people, etc.

It was pretty fun. Good people, good people.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I have been staying up far too late watching The Killing. I watched the first episode months ago, thought it was all right, but didn't go back for a long time. A couple days ago I went back and have been binging on it ever since.

But, like most crime dramas that focus on one case for their entire series, not just a season, the constant bait and switch with the audience is getting ridiculous.

It's great despite Lund being the worst detective in the world. If a clue is not explicitly handed to her she just walks around missing her important family events and having a great jumper.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Tav wrote: »

This is not new.

Alright yeah but

they're friendly and polite and they take pictures with ipads they're great

yeah asian tourists are great

asian immigrants tho

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    At least tourists in Boston stick to areas I don't give a shit about, they aren't in my way on the freedom trail

NYC must be awful

I feel like New Yorkers are just whiners. They complain about tourists incessantly, mostly because they don't "get" how to exist in a space like nyc. They don't know how metro cards work, they stand in the middle of sidewalks, etc

We live in a world class city and people want to come and spend money and gawk at how amazing it is

And in exchange you are occasionally inconvenienced

I see liking your own Facebook posts as redundant. Like, someone posted a picture of their cats, talking about how much the liked the photo, and then they are the only "Like" on the photo.

I mean, that's like triple redundancy there. You don't post photos you don't like to Facebook. So obviously you like the photo, but then you also announced that you like the photo, and then you clicked "Like" on the photo.

It's ridiculous.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    asian tourists are most assuredly not polite on public transit. asian women, especially, do not possess a moral compass on the subway. they were all raised in barns.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    tourists everywhere are awful but i think it's probably best to get over it. i've lived primarily in philly, nyc, and just outside tel aviv- tourists galore. they're out of their element, they're excited- they're also frazzled, worried about their itinerary and their finances. something snapped in my brain after the one millionth tourist faux pas i encountered and i've started to find them semi-endearing and funny.

This is true. There is something kind of adorable about tourists.

Also I mean I have no room to talk I come from a family of the most obnoxious tourists ever. My grandparents basically spend all their time traveling the world and I feel as though every country they visit becomes a slightly worse place for the experience. They come from the generation right before the baby boomers where they weren't old enough to fight in WWII, and as such are probably the worst that America has to offer in terms of obnoxious yuppie old people.

NYC must be awful

I feel like New Yorkers are just whiners. They complain about tourists incessantly, mostly because they don't "get" how to exist in a space like nyc. They don't know how metro cards work, they stand in the middle of sidewalks, etc

We live in a world class city and people want to come and spend money and gawk at how amazing it is

yup

try developing some patience and empathy bruhs

you fucking animals

you disgusting beasts

you heartless creatures

asian tourists are most assuredly not polite on public transit. asian women, especially, do not possess a moral compass on the subway. they were all raised in barns.

is this racist

919UOwT.png
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

NYC must be awful

to be fair, though, even in Richmond, VA, morons stand in your way without any awareness of their surroundings

people in general just need to be better about that

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    to be fair metro cards are pretty goddamn confusing

what do you mean unlimited cards don't apply to PATH rides

that's a fucking limit

you dicks

Elendil on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I don't know why people taking photos with tablets annoys me so much. It shouldn't. But seeing somebody standing in a crowd holding an iPad above their head trying to get a photo of a college just fills me with rage.

Also I mean I have no room to talk I come from a family of the most obnoxious tourists ever. My grandparents basically spend all their time traveling the world and I feel as though every country they visit becomes a slightly worse place for the experience. They come from the generation right before the baby boomers where they weren't old enough to fight in WWII, and as such are probably the worst that America has to offer in terms of obnoxious yuppie old people.

this just seems really mean i guess

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    The only problem (benefit?) to carrying around a backpack everywhere is that people assume you are a college student.

Or a shoplifter.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    At the British Museum I saw a Chinese tourist throw her jacket onto an ancient Egyptian statue once like it was a couch, be told off by a security guard and then later the same girl tried to walk up and touch the Elgin marbles. I think it was more that girl was an idiot that anything to do with her nationality though.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    when I visit the big city I don my sunday best

polish my shoes, make sure they gleam

I want to make a good impression

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    I WANT MY 17 DOLLARS BACK, PORT AUTHORITY

NYC must be awful

to be fair, though, even in Richmond, VA, morons stand in your way without any awareness of their surroundings

people in general just need to be better about that

swift strike to the back of the knee with a stout stick and down they go

then you just stride over them and keep being on your merry way

this is what the custom should be

ftOqU21.png
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Plus snarling at tourists when they bump into you is really fun and totally worth the hassle

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

Oh don't get me wrong, I love them to death and appreciate the hell out of them.

But they are not good people.

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

In my experience every country I've ever visited loved having me

I was even offered citizenship a few times just so I wouldn't leave

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
    i too am raging about that metrocard thing

the subway costs 2.50
    the path costs 2.50
    you can swipe your metrocard for individual uses on the path, interchangeably!

but for some reason time-based metrocards don't work on the path

i want my money back nyc

i want my fucking 17 dollars

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I don't know why people taking photos with tablets annoys me so much. It shouldn't. But seeing somebody standing in a crowd holding an iPad above their head trying to get a photo of a college just fills me with rage.

@Mojo_Jojo‌
    when i was in tanzania on safari i saw another truck with people taking photos of zebras with their ipads

they looked so silly

poo
    Gooey wrote: »

is this racist
    When my wife worked the night shift she'd come home (to Quincy at the time) on the subway at the same time as Vietnamese and Chinese cleaning ladies with huge bags of cans to recycle. The annoying tonal languages after a 12+ hour shift and being exhausted coming home at 8am in the morning made her worried she was going to become anti-Asian racist.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular

In my experience every country I've ever visited loved having me

I was even offered citizenship a few times just so I wouldn't leave

I question the validity of your claim.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.

the subway costs 2.50
    the path costs 2.50

i want my money back nyc

it is true this is the worst bullshit

i used to have 2 metrocards

1 prepaid card for path trips

then my monthly unlimited card for everything else

919UOwT.png

the subway costs 2.50
    the path costs 2.50

i want my money back nyc

g1cea43f4.jpg

Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Mojo_Jojo‌
    when i was in tanzania on safari i saw another truck with people taking photos of zebras with their ipads

they looked so silly
    For some reason in my head using your phone's camera is fine, but using a tablet is mental illness.

I know it doesn't make sense.

This discussion has been closed.