As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mighty Morphin Power Thread: where we of course talk about TMNT

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    My oldest son loves the Power Rangers, his favorite color is yellow. He's dealt with this pretty well. He still pretends to be a Yellow Ranger, just a boy one.

Dino Thunder was also pretty cool.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    McHoger wrote: »
    Why has there never been an orange ranger?

This is a travesty!

The current sentai has one, so there'll be one eventually. Unless they skip that season.

They've been using most of the new sentai, so probably

Is he actually CALLED an orange ranger though

Because theres some weird stuff where like

A ranger has been white with pink highlights and they are called the pink ranger, and shit like that

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    One hilariously stupid thing about Time Force that annoyed me at the time

You guys have developed time travel, which is rad

but your only means of sending your shit back in time is having it punched down a track by a giant robot

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Orange is the ugliest color that isn't brown, is why

• Options
    Goatmon wrote: »

but your only means of sending yoru shit back in time is having it punched down a track by a fucking robot

Also

Why is it called the time force if they only have one time machine

Why are they like, normal grunt cadets that have the morphing powers when they have a bunch of superiors who think they misuse them

I love that season but there was some weird stuff for sure

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    I had no idea that RPM was supposed to be good. I kinda ignored Power Rangers for a while after Mystic Force (ugh). I did watch Shinkenger (the Sentai that Power Rangers Samurai is based on) which was pretty fuckin sweet.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    Marathon wrote: »
    My oldest son loves the Power Rangers, his favorite color is yellow. He's dealt with this pretty well. He still pretends to be a Yellow Ranger, just a boy one.

There have been male yellow rangers!

In fact in the japanese version of Mighty Morphin he was male

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    The giant punch robot in time force is my favorite zord

God time force was good

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Orange is the ugliest color that isn't brown, is why

You're the worst

• Options
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    I had no idea that RPM was supposed to be good. I kinda ignored Power Rangers for a while after Mystic Force (ugh). I did watch Shinkenger (the Sentai that Power Rangers Samurai is based on) which was pretty fuckin sweet.

Its incredible

Basically RPM on has been good

SPD was probably the last great series before that

the stuff in between those two is middling to awful

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular

This is a travesty!

The current sentai has one, so there'll be one eventually. Unless they skip that season.

The ToQgers identify by number rather then color. This is due to the team's special gimmick. If I may be so bold as to post this from my Toku-thread...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Uh8eoPVxqro

(Skip to 2:40 if you want to see said gimmick)

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular

This is a travesty!

Because theres some weird stuff where like

A ranger has been white with pink highlights and they are called the pink ranger, and shit like that

I don't think he's called orange because he's the sixth ranger. I do know because of the 2 season thing with Nick, they are mostly skipping Gobuster, so it's not guaranteed anymore.

• Options
    Marathon wrote: »

There have been male yellow rangers!

In fact in the japanese version of Mighty Morphin he was male

Yes, but most of the time yellow is a female. Makes things difficult when buying a Halloween costume.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular

RPM basically involves Skynet crossed with Hal 9000 actually taking over/devastating most of the world, except for one city, that the Rangers are tasked with protecting. It's pretty funny but it definitely throws dark at times.

• Options
    Also this clip from Gokaiger (Sentai basis for Super Megaforce) is totally amazing and I hope they adapt it to English

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6oum0kOGl4

Still need to watch Gokaiger. Like I said, I've seen nothing Rangers/Sentai related except Shinkenger in years.

• Options

but your only means of sending yoru shit back in time is having it punched down a track by a fucking robot

Also

Why are they like, normal grunt cadets that have the morphing powers when they have a bunch of superiors who think they misuse them

To be honest, I wasn't following it by that point.

I mean, I was ten years old when it first aired in the states, so by that point I had pretty much outgrown it.

I think In Space was the first season where I was kinda ehhhhh

That was also the season with the crossover with that horrible live-action TMNT series that shall not be named,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=228WvjzHtUA

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I've loved many Power Rangers seasons, but I love Gokaiger even more. And I think I love it too much to watch whatever they're doing to it in Super MegaForce

Especially since I watched several episodes of Mega Force and the acting was bad even for PR (except for Jake, I liked Jake)

Jimothy on
  • Options
    I remember watching the premier of the first season one Saturday morning when I was younger, I really liked it and was excited to talk to my best friend about it later that day.

When I got to his house, he and his brothers were talking about how dumb they thought it was. I was crushed, but I continued watching in secret.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
  • Options
    Space had a fabulous ending, and the Psycho Rangers were pretty neat. Just don't mention the turtles and all is well.

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular

Also

To be honest, I wasn't following it by that point.

I mean, I was ten years old when it first aired in the states, so by that point I had pretty much outgrown it.

I think In Space was the first season where I was kinda ehhhhh

That was also the season with the crossover with that horrible live-action TMNT series that shall not be named,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=228WvjzHtUA

Um

aside from that crossover, that is easily my favorite PR season that I've seen

And Tommy doesn't even appear once! So it's even more impressive that it manages to be so good

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    On the subject of team colors, there's gonna be a handful in Dino Charge. Even though this is a clip from it's Japanese source, I'm gonna put this one in the box for those that want to be surprised by what's used.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    By the way, as with every sentai thread, I take the opportunity to talk about Garo, which is basically a sentai series that was more aimed at young adults.

As such it aired at night, and has a bigger budget.

Its got noticeable better effects and fight choreography than what I've seen with Power Rangers, at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oMpoknusJo

Goatmon on

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2014
    Tommy can legit fuck you up

jason-david-frank-mma.jpg

http://youtu.be/9N-X0qO7lpw

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Also I should add that I didn't actually hate Time Force in particular.

It was just the point where I started to get bored of Power Rangers in general.

I honestly don't remember much at all from the show around that time period, because it was so long ago.

Goatmon on

• Options
    number13number13 Registered User regular
    God, I'm excited.

Tommy's face in that picture is like, "You do it right or you don't do it AT ALL," over proper Zentai posing.

2w3e5cp.jpg
  • Options
    What's with his helmet though? It has like weird silver lines on it. Compare the one he's holding in his arm to the one he's wearing in the picture above it. It's different. Odd.

• Options
    Seriously though, good on JDF for recognizing that everyone loves him and being willing to get back into goofy Power Ranger shit every now and then for a cameo or whatevs and not acting like he's too cool for it.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    I believe he's got his suits (or replicas I guess) framed on the wall of the dojo he runs. I know he's got Green/White suits up there, don't know about his Zeo/Turbo/Dino suits though.

• Options
    number13number13 Registered User regular
    What's with his helmet though? It has like weird silver lines on it. Compare the one he's holding in his arm to the one he's wearing in the picture above it. It's different. Odd.

Just aesthetic change. The picture above is from the original series. The stripe first showed up in... Dino Thunder, I think? And just kind of carried over, I guess.

2w3e5cp.jpg
  • Options
    From the Superhero Movie thread.

cqo2Zx4.jpg

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Also, if you want to know why Billy left the show, here's a great interview with David Yost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmlcuY8bOUk

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Yeah I remember that.

It was a bummer to find out the dude got treated like that.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    That's a depressing video

My most vivid Power Rangers memory has nothing to do with the show itself

When the original series was airing and the Earth was still cooling, my siblings and I would of course play Power Rangers, and we'd be different ones, and so forth

The thing I remember most is one particular session where my younger brother was playing with me and my sister, and one of us assigned him a certain ranger role

And he goes

"No! I'm Billy!"

and front snap kicks me right in the knee

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Fuuuuuuuck that is awful what the people on that show did to him.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    That'll teach you to question his ranger identity.

Goatmon on

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    One of my most vivid memories involving the Power Rangers involve recesses at elementary school, where my friends and I would play as them. And we -- all Asian girls (the school was something like 70% Chinese)--would have a daily fight on who got to be the Yellow Ranger.

One of the first young female Asian characters on TV, or at least TV that we watched. It meant a lot to us

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    Once during lunch, I made a friend of mine reenact the scene with me where Tommy is confronted with his evil clone that was using his green ranger powers.

Dude had never really watched it so I was having to coach him through all the lines.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Did anyone else just beat the Hell out of each other at recess

The little wife here claims they'd "pretend" to beat the shit out of each other

I'm not sure that line existed when I was six

dN0T6ur.png