As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wildstar] J. Gaffney steps down as Carbine President

• Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    "surette wrote: »
    I must have misunderstood you, I thought you hadn't played at all yet because it was down when you went to log in with your code.

I am not known for my eloquent writting :-D This being said the code thing has to do with me getting a bunch of codes for people at work and persuade then to coordinate and give it a try at the same time together. We can only do this once a week (usually two) and so we ended up burning the codes for nothing.

That was the first time I saw the server crash. It was just really bad timing.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    surette wrote: »
    Korror wrote: »
    So how do I know if I'm ready for vet dungeons?

I've been running vet adventures as a healer and I'm getting slightly bored. None of the healing is challenging at all and I can spam 2 buttons to keep everyone topped off forever. However, the one vet dungeon that I've tried was a small disaster where we killed the first boss in STL and then could not kill the next mini boss at all which might have been my fault due to lack of healing output. I'm at 1950 support power and I'm equipped in adventure blues with a single epic though I still have unruned items I need to finish slotting. I'm an esper if that matters.
    Get as many focus regen set runes as you can. And then just go for it. You'll never know until you try. Focus regen set does help a lot though.

I keep seeing this advice over and over and I can't figure out why everyone's so in love with focus regen. At least on esper running fixation I find it really hard to run out unless the tank is colossally bad, or the fight drags on forever. Is it just that espers have less focus issues than other classes?

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Dunno how it is for espers, but at least for medics you really need the 10% chance to regen focus on cast shoulders and 12/12 focus regen set to do raidhealing.

This setup for dungeons makes it essentially impossible to run out of focus though, so is not really needed. The set is probably enough, and is probably needed since the medic focus regen skill is really bad. Much better to run t4/8 empowering probes to kill stuff quicker.

• Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    Ah,yeah think I've heard medics had trouble with focus before.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Espers have the least focus issues, medics the most. Not sure about slingers but I am sure it ranges since surged heals eat up focus now. But slingers have realy good focus regen options in amps.

And I think all these focus regens needs are for raids where you will tend to spam more aoe healing for much longer fights.

• Options
    surettesurette kill the switch Boston, MARegistered User regular
    RawrBear wrote: »
    I keep seeing this advice over and over and I can't figure out why everyone's so in love with focus regen. At least on esper running fixation I find it really hard to run out unless the tank is colossally bad, or the fight drags on forever. Is it just that espers have less focus issues than other classes?
    as an esper who doesn't heal very often I find that it helps a bunch, and as others have said it's especially needed for other classes & more difficult instances.

• Options
    EisenhideEisenhide Registered User regular
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    Dunno how it is for espers, but at least for medics you really need the 10% chance to regen focus on cast shoulders and 12/12 focus regen set to do raidhealing.

This setup for dungeons makes it essentially impossible to run out of focus though, so is not really needed. The set is probably enough, and is probably needed since the medic focus regen skill is really bad. Much better to run t4/8 empowering probes to kill stuff quicker.

I dunno. I'm running 6/12 and 11/15 full charge(can't wait for rune changes >_<). I do well enough. I am very concious of when to heal though, and I'm hyper aware of when incoming damage is about to spike. I'll drop a SS and then do almost exclusive health regen. If no one needs healing, or to be topped off, I'm letting focus regen. I pop recharge almost every time it's up.

• Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    Eisenhide wrote: »

I dunno. I'm running 6/12 and 11/15 full charge(can't wait for rune changes >_<). I do well enough. I am very concious of when to heal though, and I'm hyper aware of when incoming damage is about to spike. I'll drop a SS and then do almost exclusive health regen. If no one needs healing, or to be topped off, I'm letting focus regen. I pop recharge almost every time it's up.

... *stare* ...

• Options
    Tayrun wrote: »

... *stare* ...

I only heal kragor when I'm feeling sadistic.

• Options
    edited August 2014

Have you raided yet? On most fights you can't when to heal, as much as you need to spam like mad for extended periods of time to keep up with damage. Especially with our lack of smarthealing.

In dungeons focus becomes a nonissue quickly.

Also, on an entierly different note, phagetech prototypes is such a great fight. Lots of stuff happening, and noone actually gets a boring role like some fights.

Frozenzen on
  • Options
    Alinius133Alinius133 Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Qanamil wrote: »
    Alinius133 wrote: »
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    Qanamil wrote: »
    I guess I just dont get the negativity towards the game. On the other hand, if every other MMO on the planet were destroyed and removed except WoW, well,... I guess I'd play checkers. WS seems like a pretty darned fun game to me. Challenging, but fun. Maybe I'm just used to failure. :open_mouth:

You're still just leveling up though, right? It's fairly universal that the trip from 1 to 50 is a good time even if the quests are usually uninspired.

This.

And it's mostly because the game IS fun. On a pure gameplay level, I think it's great. It's when you get to the end and there's either dailies or running headfirst into a wall that things start to fall apart. If they managed to fix that I'd be a lot more positive about the game, myself.

I think that is one of the problems is the "headlong into the wall comments".

I am pretty casual
    Levels 1-50 -> steady gain in power.
    Hit level 50, acquire initial set of level 50 gear -> moderate increase in power
    Do adventures, acquire a set of gear stable enough to start putting runes in things -> moderate increase in power

I hit that point about 6 weeks ago.

Since then I
    - Run dailies/Adventures until I cap EP
    - Gained a full set of tanking ear
    - Upgraded a few pieces of gear
    - Finished the adventure portion of attunement(waiting of the silver to bronze change before trying to PUG dungeons)
    - Got all my AMPs allowing me to respec into better specs
    - Got my third spec slot(Woo, PVP spec!)
    - Progressed on my weaponsmithing(yeah Adventus 4 HVG!)
    - Added to my housing(Bank + Tier 4 mine + crafting station + tier 6 festival = why go to Thayd?)
    - Had a lot of fun

Have I gained power? yes
    Am I gaining power at a much slower rate than before? Yes.

It isn't a hard wall so much as it a major slowdown.

Something to remember when comparing to other games.
    If I were to hit level cap in WoW today, I would have several raids worth of gear to progress through before I basically hit the exact same situation I am in in Wildstar(IE progression slows to a crawl). I still remember being a week into Cataclysm, hitting level 85, and the dungeon PUG scene was a complete disaster. Completing a dungeon was a 3-4 hour ordeal from which I may get nothing. It may take me a little longer to hit my progression "Wall" in WoW right now, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. As Wildstar adds more content, the wall will move. I don't see anything here that I haven't experienced in multiple other MMOs. So many of these complaints sound like people complaining that a MMO works like a MMO.

That said, I just can't see myself ever going back to Rift or WoW. The combat in Wildstar is just so much more engaging. Housing is useful and fun.

Just wanted to point out you're kind of avoiding the 'wall' everybody is really referring to: dungeon-running (be it PUG or not). Dungeons can easily be a many hour ordeal in WS too, not even just going for silver runs. I feel like changes such as Esper/Medic help have alleviated this a lot, though I've not been playing since right before these changes went live.

I'm glad you're enjoying the other aspects of the game and I think most of us enjoyed these aspect a lot as well!

That was my point. People are complaining about running into a specific wall, and act like it completely stops all character progression. You can still have plenty of fun and advance your character without beating your head against that particular wall. I learned my lesson in early WoW Cataclysm. If it isn't fun, don't do it.

Alinius133 on
  • Options
    Alinius133Alinius133 Registered User regular
    Did Christmas come early this year?

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/110566-amp-upgrade-and-ability-tier-unlock-revisions/
    7ofSwords wrote:
    Greetings Nexians!

We're making some changes to the way that AMP Power Upgrades and Ability Tier Unlocks are awarded. For the uninitiated, players earn AMP Power points and Ability Tier unlocks naturally through leveling up in Wildstar. Special items can be found throughout the game however that further boost your character's AMP points and Ability Tier unlocks. These items, based on our data and from feedback from players simply do not drop enough. We're addressing this issue on a number of fronts that I am happy to describe in some detail below:

Increased world drop chance from level 50 creatures
    These items have become substantially more likely to drop from creatures on landscape. They will still be rare, but not nearly so rare as they have been in the past. A very dedicated group could see these on a semi-regular basis. These items are trade-able.

Increased drop chance from PVP Victory bags, added them as a rare reward in PVP participation bags
    Winning matches now has a better chance to provide these items. Additionally, these items now have a rare chance to drop from participation. These items are trade-able.

Added a new single-use AMP Power Upgrade to endgame reputations
    Reaching beloved reputation with organizations in Containment R-12, Crimson Badlands and Northern Wastes will allow players to purchase new single-use amp power upgrades. For example: A character can only benefit from the Crimson Badlands AMP Power Upgrade once, but they could then go purchase the Northern Wastes AMP Power Upgrade and benefit from that as well. These items are not trade-able.

Added a new single-use Ability Tier Unlock Point to Blighthaven reputation
    As above the player may only benefit from the Blighthaven Ability Tier Unlock point once. It is available for purchase at the Beloved tier. This item is not trade-able.

Added two new single-use AMP Power Upgrades and a single-use Ability Tier Unlock Point to the Prestige Vendor
    As above the player may only benefit from each Prestigious AMP Power Upgrade and Ability Tier Unlock Point once. The Amp Power Upgrades each cost 4,000 Prestige and have no level or rating requirement. The single-use Ability Tier Unlock Point costs 5,000 Prestige and has no level or rating requirement. These items are not trade-able.

Added new single-use AMP Power Upgrades and single-use Ability Tier Unlock Points to Gold Medal Veteran Dungeons
    Completing each veteran dungeon with a gold medal result will always award a unique single-use AMP Power Upgrade or single-use Ability Tier Unlock Point for the group to roll on. Only players who have never used it before may roll on it. These items are not trade-able.
    Stormtalon's Lair and Kel Voreth each reward a single-use AMP Power Upgrade for achieving a Gold Medal.
    Skullcano and Sanctuary of the Swordmaiden each reward a single-use Ability Tier Unlock for achieving a Gold Medal.

Added a single-use AMP Power Upgrade and single-use Ability Tier Unlock Point to path level rewards
    Reaching path level 15 with your chosen path will now reward players with a single-use AMP Power Upgrade. Reaching path level 30 will now reward players with a single-use Ability Tier Unlock Point. These items are not trade-able.

These changes are currently being tested and will arrive on servers soon. Thank you for the feedback and stay tuned as we have plenty more to discuss in the coming weeks!

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Holy crap!

Want those and the rune changes like yesterday.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    So, by my count, you get guaranteed AMPs and Ability Points from the following--

AMPs
    1 from Prestige
    3 from max faction reputation
    2 from gold medal dungeon runs (STL, KV)
    1 from getting your path to level 15

Ability Point
    1 from Prestige
    1 from max faction reputation
    2 from gold medal dungeon runs (SK, SSM)
    1 from getting your path to level 30

This is definitely a step in the right direction.

One thing I don't like is how completing a dungeon gold medal run drops only a SINGLE one for the WHOLE party. Meaning if you had a dedicated group, you'd need to complete it five times for each dungeon to get everyone their unlock. Gold runs are pretty hard, mostly because of some of the challenge requirements. KV is pretty easy, but the others aren't.

Also, I'm puzzled as to why raiding gives no AMP/Ability Points rewards. Raiding is by far the most interesting content in the game, and it's already not very rewarding in terms of drops, gold, and elder points. I guess they want to drive people towards their shittier content.

Melkster on
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Well, and I think this is a nice halfway between casual and hardcore goals to strive for. Gold is hard, but not as hard as raiding (I assume).

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I was seriously wondering why you couldn't get those from PvP the other day. Definitely like that, it also means you might be able to actually spend Elder Gems on gear too instead of having to just save them for them.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Well now I need to get involved in some gold dungeons

• Options
    Just need to grind some prestige and I'll be capped, Nice!

• Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited August 2014

Uhh. You can only get a single AMP and a single Ability point for prestige. Even if you farmed a billion prestige, you'd get just one of each.

Unless you've already gotten a ton of AMPs and Ability points in which case, jeez you must be rich. Or from the future (as it takes many months max out via elder gems).

Melkster on
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Melkster wrote: »

Uhh. You can only get a single AMP and a single Ability point for prestige. Even if you farmed a billion prestige, you'd get just one of each.

Unless you've already gotten a ton of AMPs and Ability points in which case, jeez you must be rich. Or from the future (as it takes many months max out via elder gems).

I've bought 3 ability points already for elder gems, gotten one dropped from a pvp bag, and a few amp points for money. Got all the reps and everything maxed as well, so once I get 5k prestige I can cap ability points without having to do gold sots/sc. Amp points I won't max as quickly, but for a medic they are not that important. Our amps are pretty bad overall.

Frozenzen on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I cashed out last night. I had 5 CREDD that I'd bought at 3.5ish platinum, and 1 that I'd bought at 4.5 platinum, and the "sell now" going rate was 5.2ish. So that coupled with the platinum I already had left me at 38 platinum!

Y'know because of the concern that when you unsub, your CREDD can go away. I don't know if there was any clarification on that but I didn't want to take chances.

I still feel really bad about having to quit, but at the same time things were leaning that way for a while and at least I wasn't alone in feeling that way. It sucks for those who are still playing but it sounds like most have found a home which is awesome. And some of these recent patches/announcements seem great and the kind of fixes the game needs.

I do want the game to keep developing and succeed, and to come back someday. I love the world and that 1-50 leveling experience. Just a combination of factors of where it is right now...

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    NoizlanifNoizlanif MMO-Whore Registered User regular
    I accidentally silvered KV last night in a LFD group. It would have been an accidental gold, but we missed a timer by about 4 seconds to kill the osun dudes.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Noizlanif wrote: »
    I accidentally silvered KV last night in a LFD group. It would have been an accidental gold, but we missed a timer by about 4 seconds to kill the osun dudes.

I knew I was the weak link...

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    NoizlanifNoizlanif MMO-Whore Registered User regular
    Hah, no. It was the weirdest thing ever, it wasn't even a pre-made group, everyone had a different server / guild. I waltz in there like, eh, it's 10pm my time, let's see what happens. I think pressure makes us mess up honestly. Just need to change that up. Just like that Stormtalon run we did for smiles and giggles, it was like huh, no pressure at all. We pulled fast and hard and came out on top.

• Options
    Well Gaffer stepped down to a less involved position.

His reasons were ENTIRELY valid, but it still saddens me cause he was a hero of a designer.

• Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    I respect the guy's passion that's for sure. Takes a hell of a lot of time and dedication to do what he and Carbine have done and to stick it out as long as he has is impressive. All the best to the guy.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Well Gaffer stepped down to a less involved position.

His reasons were ENTIRELY valid, but it still saddens me cause he was a hero of a designer.

He was, and is, and remains so.

He is only one man after all. After faults of the game cannot be laid at any one person's door.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Well he's so involved and his reasons for leaving were laid out in honest. It's nothing to do with the state of the game. I believe him when he says this, because it's him.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Let's talk about some pvp changes:
    With the release of the next drop, we will be resetting all team and personal ratings (arena’s, RBG’s & Warplots) to 1200 in order to restore queue health and eliminate the “rating hole” that many players found themselves in due to rating tankers and other forms of exploitation.

This will not mark a new season, which means there will not be season rewards associated with the reset. In addition, all of the current PvP gear will remain intact and the gear gap reductions (now on PTR and being pushed to live this week) will enable players in PvP blue sets to be competitive with those in Tier 2 (1800’s) sets.

The next drop will also bring the following updates:
    The Elo formula will be modified in order to decrease the amount of rating lost when defeated in a rated PvP match
    The K value thresholds will be adjusted in order to make the swings in rating changes much less drastic (this will also help with large losses of rating)
    PvP Tier 2 (1800) gear sets will be made available for rated battlegrounds

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    So apparently there's a nasty bug floating about that has erased perks for every guild. Can anyone confirm/deny?

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    We still have them. I went and unlocked the harvesting flask cause I really don't know whats gonna happen to the guild now. It and everything else still show as unlocked.

• Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    I'm out as well, haven't played in the better part of 2 weeks, just not worth it for me, getting back into painting miniatures again and playing warhammer.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    Our guild is sort-of suffering from recruitment and the attunement gate.
    The server just had some large raid guilds transfer, and we've had a few people leave for them.

However, we did kill 3/3 minibosses tonight, with 16 people and a corpse. And it was fun.
    @Tayrun‌ died many times.
    Draeven wrote: »
    I'm out as well, haven't played in the better part of 2 weeks, just not worth it for me, getting back into painting miniatures again and playing warhammer.

I have tau that require my attention. I still manage to sneak in a couple games a week! Not derailing, but PM me your stats, bruh.

• Options
    The server just had some large raid guilds transfer, and we've had a few people leave for them.

However, we did kill 3/3 minibosses tonight, with 16 people and a corpse. And it was fun.
    @Tayrun‌ died many times.
    Draeven wrote: »

@Draeven‌ I have tau that require my attention. I still manage to sneak in a couple games a week! Not derailing, but PM me your stats, bruh.

• Options
    I just wanted to PVP last night to try and get the now more potent blue pvp gear. It took like 30 mins to get one bg game to happen.

I guess... this might change when ALL the pvp fixes go in. But still, this is the one thing killing the game for me. PVP was my major endgame, and its been bent over backwards and taking it for a LONG time, and it shows.

• Options

Tayrun‌ died many times.

Grats on getting raiding started! If you can kill the mushroom miniboss you can kill x-89 if you can just get a full raid. After him Kuralakk is the big wall, but when she goes down you basically get phagemaw for free, and prototypes/conclave don't take that long either.

Recruitment is probably an issue for everyone at the moment, although my guild might solve it soon. Apparently no other english speaking exile guild on a EU pve server has killed ohmna, and we are pushing for her hard this week. with that we should get the 5-6 more people we need for 2 steady groups and enter datascape within two weeks or so.

• Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    Does this game have a free trial yet? I like the idea for the combat, but I'm always a little hesitant before jumping into MMOs

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Yeah, roster boss was an issue last night but we got some things down nonetheless. So far, having a lot of fun in GA.

• Options
    This thread has become so, so sad :(

I literally do not think any PA mmo thread has died to the point that this one has. Especially for a major MMO release.

I feel all the changes coming are remarkable and are going to make the game infinately better, but none of those matter if there is no one to play with.

PVP queues are insane, guilds dropping left and right (though there ARE flourishing guilds if you know where to look), group finders taking longer and longer.

No matter how well you feel the game is doing, these things ARE happening and they are more a detriment to the experience than any bugs or imbalances.

• Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    I actually don't get all the sadnesses.

I'm playing on Stormtalon, the queues for anything never go beyond 15mins and are generally less than 8, in my experience. Thayd is always crazy busy. Economy is doing fine, enough supply and demand. Raiding is going fine, guild is showing steady growth in attuned players. There's bugs in the game and stuff that ought to be done better, but that's all getting changed next drop, which'll be soon, so...

I mean, it'd suck if there was nobody around. But there's server merges and stuff around the corner, so, yeah.

Why is everyone so sad? :/

This discussion has been closed.