As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Prime 2014 BYOC General Info

2»

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Rowejob wrote: »
    On the BYOC tickets can I return one to go back for resale or do I have to sell them myself?
    They are non-returnable.

• BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Rowejob wrote: »
    On the BYOC tickets can I return one to go back for resale or do I have to sell them myself?

Just use both spaces, and bring an additional monitor. With the loaners provided you could have a surround monitor set up. O_O

Eh? Eh? Could be cool...

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • DreggorDreggor [E] PAX East PC Room Deputy Registered User regular
    shdwcaster wrote: »
    Question about the loaner monitors (which is an awesome thing to have, BTW!). For us 4-day die-hards showing up around 8am Friday and not wanting to tear down until after the final Omegathon event has ended on Monday, will those monitors be available the whole time?

Mostly I'm concerned that someone's going to be tapping me on the shoulder at 3:30 Monday afternoon saying "Time to give up that monitor", but admittedly I'd also like to not be waiting to power up my rig Friday morning.

Whole time, we usually don't get the boxes until everything is closed. Either way, we won't be asking for them back until you check out of BYOC.

-=Dreggor
    PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
    PAX East PC Room Deputy
  • SHiZZAMSHiZZAM Registered User regular
    Dreamwish wrote: »
    The schedule of BYOC events (albeit subject to change if problems / things come up):

Friday:
    Start of yet unannounced weekend long event (conclusion TBA) (11:00 am) - BYOC Cup event
    Trackmania Nations Forever (12:00 pm)
    Spelunky (2:00 pm) - BYOC Cup event
    Battlefield 4 (5:00 pm)
    Warsow (7:00 pm) - BYOC Cup event
    Hard Drive Shuffleboard (9:30 pm) - BYOC Cup event

Saturday:
    Start of Scavenger Hunt (10:00 am) - BYOC Cup event
    Payday 2 (11:00 am)
    TF2 Blind Frag (2:00 pm) - BYOC Cup event
    Soundboard Musical Chairs (4:00 pm) - BYOC Cup event
    QWOP (7:00 pm) - BYOC Cup event
    NeoTokyo (9:00 pm)
    Scavenger Hunt Conclusion (11:00 pm)

Sunday:
    Age of Empires 2 HD (11:30 am) - BYOC Cup event
    Start of MS Paint Contest (2:00 pm) - BYOC Cup event
    Chivalry (3:00 pm)
    Monaco (7:00 pm) - BYOC Cup event
    Natural Selection 2
    MS Paint Contest Conclusion and Judging

Monday:
    Yet to be announced game (10:30 am)
    Goat Simulator (11:30 am) - BYOC Cup event
    BYOC Cup Award Ceremony (2:30 pm)
    Raffle (3:00 pm)

No DOTA 2 tourney this year? :( It was a lot of fun last year!

• shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    Dreggor wrote: »
    shdwcaster wrote: »
    Question about the loaner monitors (which is an awesome thing to have, BTW!). For us 4-day die-hards showing up around 8am Friday and not wanting to tear down until after the final Omegathon event has ended on Monday, will those monitors be available the whole time?

Mostly I'm concerned that someone's going to be tapping me on the shoulder at 3:30 Monday afternoon saying "Time to give up that monitor", but admittedly I'd also like to not be waiting to power up my rig Friday morning.

Whole time, we usually don't get the boxes until everything is closed. Either way, we won't be asking for them back until you check out of BYOC.

Awesome! Very happy for one less thing to pack then!

• ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Sooo been to lots of PAXes but total n00b for BYOC I've never been lucky enough to manage to snag a spot until this year and i'm sorry if this seems n00bish (but it is) but could someone post some details about well everything? :) I mean I see the seating chart (but its just me and geez all the seats look taken already!) and the cool games but even the nice piece of paper I got with my badge says nothing about when or where to go or line up or what to do or well anything. As people keep noting it's getting really near PAX and I pretty much feel like i'm flying blind here. At this rate I feel like I might find and figure out the whole BYOC thing around Sunday lol. Is there a "guide to BYOC" somewhere I am missing?

Oh also on those nice loaner monitors I filled out the form but really all it asked was my name and some presales type info no email or anything. How do I know I am getting one? Can someone in the know tell us what if any cables they come with so I can be sure my laptop works? Thanks guys sorry to seem so clueless but for BYOC I totally am, for the rest of PAX not so much.

ElmoFuntz on
    Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

ElmoFuntz wrote: »
    Sooo been to lots of PAXes but total n00b for BYOC I've never been lucky enough to manage to snag a spot until this year and i'm sorry if this seems n00bish (but it is) but could someone post some details about well everything? :) I mean I see the seating chart (but its just me and geez all the seats look taken already!) and the cool games but even the nice piece of paper I got with my badge says nothing about when or where to go or line up or what to do or well anything. As people keep noting it's getting really near PAX and I pretty much feel like i'm flying blind here. At this rate I feel like I might find and figure out the whole BYOC thing around Sunday lol. Is there a "guide to BYOC" somewhere I am missing?

Oh also on those nice loaner monitors I filled out the form but really all it asked was my name and some presales type info no email or anything. How do I know I am getting one? Can someone in the know tell us what if any cables they come with so I can be sure my laptop works? Thanks guys sorry to seem so clueless but for BYOC I totally am, for the rest of PAX not so much.

You will receive a mailer in a few days with some more details about "How to BYOC" but this is mostly just the basics like times and load-in and load-out procedures. Maybe some of these kind folks can give you some helpful tips.

As for the monitors, that is a great question. I believe at East they came with an HDMI cable but I will try to confirm this for you.

-=Dreggor
    PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
    PAX East PC Room Deputy
    As for the monitors, that is a great question. I believe at East they came with an HDMI cable but I will try to confirm this for you.

A quick search on Newegg would make me believe they will come with a DVI and a VGA. However, they have HDMI so if you prefer to use that bring a cable.

-=Dreggor
    PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
    PAX East PC Room Deputy
    Final update on the seating chart posted. This is what is going into the LanFest system and is now set in stone.

-=Dreggor
    PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
    PAX East PC Room Deputy
  • DreamwishDreamwish Registered User regular
    ElmoFuntz wrote: »

Welcome!

As Dreggor noted, you'll be receiving an email in the coming days regarding things like load-in procedures (where to go to check in and such). As far as a guide to BYOC, much of it is whatever you want to make it to be. You'll be assigned a seat with space for your laptop, a pair of power plugs, and it's yours for the weekend. You can play games all weekend long if you want, ignorant of the rest of the world, or you can come and go and see the rest of PAX as you please. There are organized contests for BYOC attendees, but they're all voluntary (but often there are prizes - usually computer components / peripherals of some nature donated by LANFest). There's a raffle for swag on Monday afternoon that you'll receive a ticket for by having a purchased BYOC badge (said tickets are handed out right before the raffle on Monday). Other than that, it's much like a chill LAN party, if you've ever been to one of those before.

If you have any specific questions, I'll do my best to answer them here, or if you have questions during the show, ask an Enforcer, and hopefully they'll know the answer, or be able to point you in the direction of someone who will.

• Spud387Spud387 Man of Inaction Vancouver, BC, CanadaRegistered User regular
    SHiZZAM wrote: »

No DOTA 2 tourney this year? :( It was a lot of fun last year!

As soon as i saw that it wasn't in the list I knew you'd be disappointed :)

Prime 2016 Status: Skipping. 2017, The Return.

Attended: PAX Prime 2010/'11/'12/'13/'14
  • hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Dreggor wrote: »

A quick search on Newegg would make me believe they will come with a DVI and a VGA. However, they have HDMI so if you prefer to use that bring a cable.

Assuming these are the same monitors we used at East and you are correct, they came with DVI and VGA cables.

hobbseltoff on
    row1.pngrow2.png
  • PrivateNewbiePrivateNewbie Registered User regular
    What time does check-in start? 10am?

Couldn't find an answer in the BYOC email on in this thread.

• RowejobRowejob Registered User regular
    Sorry for so many questions, but this is my first time BYOC. I got the email and it looks good but I didn't see anything about if we get a loaner monitor or not (yes I did fill out the form).

• DreamwishDreamwish Registered User regular

I believe the answer is 8am for Friday only (10am for other days), but that question might be better answered by @Dreggor.

• T_K_24T_K_24 Registered User new member
    Is everyone who fills out the reservation form for a loaner monitor guaranteed to get one? If not is there a way to verify that I was successful?

• Backslash_Backslash_ Registered User new member

I believe the answer is 8am for Friday only (10am for other days), but that question might be better answered by @Dreggor.

@Offical_PAX is doing a Q/A on Twitter right now and when I asked this question they just referred me to the BYOC email that went out today which doesn't say anything about an early entry for Friday. The last I saw, Dreggor was going to update this thread again when there was more official information.

What time to show up on Friday is pretty important so I'm sure we will get an update before hand. My plan is to just keep checking this thread.

• ninjownedninjowned Registered User regular
    I may have dropped the ball on reserving group seats... what would be the recommended course of action for a group of 12? Do we all have to lineup early or can a few of us get spots for the group? For the past few years we've reserved seats - I just completely forgot :(

ninjowned!
  • celycely Registered User regular
    Backslash_ wrote: »

@Offical_PAX is doing a Q/A on Twitter right now and when I asked this question they just referred me to the BYOC email that went out today which doesn't say anything about an early entry for Friday. The last I saw, Dreggor was going to update this thread again when there was more official information.

What time to show up on Friday is pretty important so I'm sure we will get an update before hand. My plan is to just keep checking this thread.

https://twitter.com/Official_PAX/status/504016019833516032
    dzu9p9g31jed.png

rqUHgCM.png
  • MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Man, I was super sad to see that the BYOC tickets were sold separately from regular passes this year. I didn't end up getting one because of it.
    I wanted to drag in my tiki rig this year

Oh well. Always next year!!

Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • CasaiCasai Los Angeles, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    T_K_24 wrote: »
    Is everyone who fills out the reservation form for a loaner monitor guaranteed to get one? If not is there a way to verify that I was successful?

People in my group, myself included, are wondering the same thing. Please let us know whether we still have to pack a monitor!

Casai on
    At PAX East, I think everyone that asked for one got one. I assume YMMV, but I would say you're relatively safe. Hopefully @Dreggor can pop in and shed some light for certain.

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Just to be clear, BYOC badges are absolutely not in any way transferable? I can't allow another attendee to use my space? I wound up relocating unexpectedly so I'm traveling in now, and don't intend to check my computer.

With the loaner monitor program I may still be able to work something out, it'd just be better if I could pass it on to another interested PAXer.

I do seem to recall these being tied to ID at checkin last year though.

mcdermott wrote: »
    Just to be clear, BYOC badges are absolutely not in any way transferable? I can't allow another attendee to use my space? I wound up relocating unexpectedly so I'm traveling in now, and don't intend to check my computer.

With the loaner monitor program I may still be able to work something out, it'd just be better if I could pass it on to another interested PAXer.

BYOC badges are completely transferable up to the point when you check in. From then on, only the person who checked in and provided their ID and whose name is on the sticker on the back of the badge is allowed into BYOC. That being said, they don't check ID when you enter/exit the area but please don't be that guy that makes them start doing that.

row1.pngrow2.png
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    mcdermott wrote: »

BYOC badges are completely transferable up to the point when you check in. From then on, only the person who checked in and provided their ID and whose name is on the sticker on the back of the badge is allowed into BYOC.

Cool. I have an extra box stored with a friend back in Seattle, I may try to make it work with a loaner monitor (and maybe a crappy KB/M), i just wanted to know if it would be possible to sell it to another person instead for the weekend. Just don't want the seat to sit empty if I don't use it.
    That being said, they don't check ID when you enter/exit the area but please don't be that guy that makes them start doing that.

Ha, not at all.

Thanks for the info, that makes it much less stressful.

EDIT: Also, I just signed up for a monitor, did we confirm that they have a monitor for everybody that signs up? Don't want to drag the box over if not...

mcdermott on
  • nianianianianiania Registered User regular
    Hi! Just got a BYOC pass from a friend, it's my first year!

QUESTIONS:

1. Just signed up for a loaner monitor. Is it too late to get one? Or am I good?
    2. What are BYOC's hours every day?
    3. What's the checkin/checkout deadline every day?

THANKS!!!

2014 Tri-Wizard Drinking Tournament
    Hufflepuff: Death Eaters / Head of House
    edited August 2014
    1. Just signed up for a loaner monitor. Is it too late to get one? Or am I good?
    That seems to be the question of the hour.
    Same as PAX, usually try to be out 15min before PAX closes each night though.
    3. What's the checkin/checkout deadline every day?
    Most people leave their stuff overnight but if you want to take your laptop with you or something just check it out when you leave for the night. There has generally not been a time limit on this in years past.

hobbseltoff on
    row1.pngrow2.png
  • skmanskman Registered User new member
    nianiania wrote: »

Friday, Sat, Sun - 10AM to Midnight..with the exception of Friday..which it looks like above we can start going at 8am to register equipment and get set up.
    Mon - 10AM to 7PM
    Expo closes at 6pm each day

• BinnyBinny Whidbey Island, WARegistered User regular
    Had a good time again this year! Thanks for putting it on!!!

• japerryjaperry Registered User regular
    Another great PAX and another great BYOC!

Loved the tourney's, and THE INTERNET. ZOMG IT WAS AWESOME. It wasn't blazing, but there wasn't a single point where I couldn't connect to Steam or Bnet, etc. We even managed to get an update to a non-steam game that released on friday. Really awesome work.

I think the only gripe, similar to last year: Hours. Not only does it end now at midnight, but we couldn't even get in until 10:30 on Monday. I heard the reason for the change was security personnel were being paid the same for 4 days vs 3, but now with an extra day PA can make more money (more passes). It'd be really nice to either a) play until 2am or b) get inside at 8 or 9am every day.

Can't wait to see everyone next year, and play more Goat Sim! =)

7jIDTca.png
  • skmanskman Registered User new member
    Thanks @Dreggor, @Dreamwish, and all the Enforcers for the great work for putting on BYOC. Had a ton of fun again this year! See you next year!

• Raptor007Raptor007 Seattle, WA, USARegistered User regular
    japerry wrote: »
    THE INTERNET. ZOMG IT WAS AWESOME.

Totally agree. At one point I hopped on my favorite Seattle CS:S server (because the CS:GO server on the LAN was all bots) and I was pinging 5. Completely unexpected for a shared pipe like that; you guys have some amazing QoS going on.
    japerry wrote: »
    I think the only gripe, similar to last year: Hours. Not only does it end now at midnight ...

Yeah, I wish the close time was 1am rather than midnight. Not a huge deal with 4 days of PAX, but it'd be nice.

My main gripe is that there's no easy way to organize games with people who aren't your immediate neighbors. There really should be some sort of mandatory Steam group and well-advertised Ventrilo/Mumble arrangement. Was there even a Ventrilo server up this year? And what happened to the http://pax intranet web server? I loved these features at previous PAX BYOC years, but they were definitely under-appreciated and under-utilized, so I was hoping you guys would try to get everyone using them somehow.

The music also started out way too loud (could barely even talk to your neighbors) but you guys later toned it down, which I appreciate. The GrooveShark request system was a lot of fun. Unfortunately turning down the speakers made it harder to hear announcements in some parts of the room. Instead of more volume, maybe more speakers next year? And it'd be a good idea to reduce the music volume at the playback source instead of at the speakers, so announcements could still have more volume.

Fun BYOC though, looking forward to next year!

7nDuqUj.png
    I am confused as to what that has to do with BYOC

zerzhul wrote: »
    I am confused as to what that has to do with BYOC

We had a scavenger hunt and one of the items was getting a photo with Mike.

row1.pngrow2.png
  • FreAkFreAk Milton, WaRegistered User regular
    Anyone remember what the link for the xwing vs tie fighter remake was?

AMG Productive member of society again!