As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A [chat] suitable for [chat]dren

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    woah the new lol champ is out already, that was a fast turnaround.

• BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Feel free to ask anything, honestly ...

I find trying to determine how my mind works as fascinating as anybody else :P

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    In conclusion: pandas survived just fine for millions of years before humans fucked it up for them.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Slow breeding animals or animals with a small window to get pregnant aren't some kind of offense to evolution.

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Listening to my mix from the other day and I don't hate it! This is such a cool feeling!

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Everytime I see that name I think of terrible puns.
    ARE YOU READY FOR THE GAME
    CHELLEYEAH I AM

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME GOOD DRUGS
    CHELLEYEAH I AM

Bless your heart.
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    bad parents make me sad

they're the most important things in your lives and you have no right to fuck it up

ftOqU21.png
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular

Gnar is the last champion who will be available for tournament play for 2014 because of the way they handle tournaments and patches so they're speeding up champ releases since they dont have to worry about balance for finals and Worlds

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    If I was a bear and raised around a bunch of hairless monkeys wanting to watch me fuck I'd be dysfunctional too.

the non panda bears seem to manage

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    zepherin wrote: »
    TL DR wrote: »
    I think there's room in this world for both a system of disincentivizing illegal parking and not generating huge amounts of waste and pain by shattering people's livelihoods.
    I would be ok if towing companies were not incentive to be crooked. They do some shady shit like cars to spots that are illegal take a picture and then impound.

fun fact: clamping is illegal in Scotland as it is considered to be a form of extortion

which it is!

note: illegal only by private owners - the traffic police can clamp an illegally parked car

you sure?

in any event i have never seen or heard of it happening

the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 still applies to Scotland, and Scotland has not seen fit to alter it (it has devolved power to do so)

in fact it has other legislation with immobilisation as a possible penalty

aRkpc.gif
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    bad parents make me sad

they're the most important things in your lives and you have no right to fuck it up

The only reason I am not No Contact with my parents is because my mom tried so very hard

and so many of her failures are the results of being an abuse victim herself

Pandas just happen to be the most famous slow breeding animal.

http://www.birdsofeden.co.za/index.php?comp=article&op=view&id=204
    Reproduction and growth: Ground hornbills are slow breeding and do not reach maturity until they are 4 years old and then only one pair from each group breeds. Ground hornbills need thick trees for their nests. They are the only hornbills which do not wall in their nest holes. The female does not seal the nest although she sits throughout incubation and is fed in the nest by the male. She also does not completely molt as smaller hornbill species do. She molts in steps so that she is still able to fly.

The clutch consist of two eggs and is incubated by the female for about a month. Only one baby from each clutch is raised. The second chick dies within days of hatching because of unsuccessful competition from the first chick that hatches in getting food from the parents. The remaining chick remains in the nest for three months and is fed by the parents for an additional nine months. The chick remains with the family unit until they reach sexual maturity. Most hornbills are monogamous. In species such as the African ground hornbill, cooperative breeding has developed in which some individuals, usually males, although sexually mature, do not breed but help a dominant pair to rear their young.

zepherin wrote: »
    TL DR wrote: »
    I think there's room in this world for both a system of disincentivizing illegal parking and not generating huge amounts of waste and pain by shattering people's livelihoods.
    I would be ok if towing companies were not incentive to be crooked. They do some shady shit like cars to spots that are illegal take a picture and then impound.

fun fact: clamping is illegal in Scotland as it is considered to be a form of extortion

which it is!

note: illegal only by private owners - the traffic police can clamp an illegally parked car

you sure?

in any event i have never seen or heard of it happening

the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 still applies to Scotland, and Scotland has not seen fit to alter it (it has devolved power to do so)

in fact it has other legislation with immobilisation as a possible penalty

WELL DON'T PARK LIKE A DOUCHE THEN

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    let's clone a bunch of pandas and set them loose all over asia

maybe some of them will mutate to eat something less shitty

• ChelleYeahChelleYeah Mrs. Ludious Living it up in Cinderella's CastleRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    ChelleYeah wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Narwhal what the public really needs to know is, are you a liar?

Absolutely. Almost habitually.

but why? i really want to understand this because my brother lies constantly and i just dont get it. i very very rarely lie. i even generally tell the truth when it can negatively impact me a lot.

i mean all i ever think is "what will happen if the truth comes out?" "what if i really need someone to believe my word but they dont anymore because they found out i lied?" it just doesnt seem WORTH it to me. like it doesnt even have to be a thing about morality anymore when you break it down, it's simply a matter of what is and isnt worth the risk.

maybe i just value people knowing i am telling the truth more than other people value it. i feel like it gives you a platform of power in social interactions because your word is worth more than someone who has lied in the past.

long or even short term risk assessment is something human beings are poor at, in isolation of other traits, incentives and circumstances that encourage lying

I won't say that lying is always bad. I lie to my parents all the time. My whole childhood was based on lying to my parents just to get to do normal things. Lying is not inherently immoral or risky.

i definitely agree with that. i dont really have a problem lying to people who are crazy and have to be "managed" so you can lead a normal life. its when you lie to everyone about everything without a decent reason for it that i just dont get.

I post Makeup stuff and Schnauzers on instagram.

Ludious wrote: »
    I react like a dyslexic crash test dummy. Hit the wall then the brakes.
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    let's clone a bunch of pandas and set them loose all over asia

maybe some of them will mutate to eat something less shitty

asians are pretty nutritious

bad parents make me sad

They're great parents, is the weird thing!

They're bad people, unfortunately.

The cycle didn't start with them, in fairness.

It's the damned firewater, y'see.

Destroys native families.

Just fulfilling a stereotype.

edited August 2014
    Couscous wrote: »
    Slow breeding animals or animals with a small window to get pregnant aren't some kind of offense to evolution.

it's not offended at all

evolution never takes offence

it just slowly kills you if you aren't good enough

Casual on
    http://www.lightshouse.org/fleas-fleas-fleas.html#axzz3BhPvw4AI when I first read this I cried for a long time but it has been so instrumental for my recent growth

If I was a bear and raised around a bunch of hairless monkeys wanting to watch me fuck I'd be dysfunctional too.

the non panda bears seem to manage

Really? Because I can guarantee you most captive species show signs of mental and physical disorder at higher rates than their native brethren.

Elephants, bears, whales, apes.

Oh good a captive brown bear can procreate easier than a captive whale. Guess that means whales fucking suck. Oh wait that offspring is still going to likely live a shorter life anyway.

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular

Gnar is the last champion who will be available for tournament play for 2014 because of the way they handle tournaments and patches so they're speeding up champ releases since they dont have to worry about balance for finals and Worlds

Oh cool, Thats a really good idea!

Also LOL Raiden Mecha Yasuo is cool!

Tl:dr; alcohol has led to a family history of physical, emotional, and sexual abuse and it inevitably destroys families

animals do not live shorter in captivity. Like, zero of them.

Mainly because there are like vets and not just "walk it off and/or rub it in dirt" when something happens.

ftOqU21.png

Oh cool, Thats a really good idea!

Also LOL Raiden Mecha Yasuo is cool!

the new dude's joke is the best he coos like a pigeon and struts

• cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

but why? i really want to understand this because my brother lies constantly and i just dont get it. i very very rarely lie. i even generally tell the truth when it can negatively impact me a lot.

i mean all i ever think is "what will happen if the truth comes out?" "what if i really need someone to believe my word but they dont anymore because they found out i lied?" it just doesnt seem WORTH it to me. like it doesnt even have to be a thing about morality anymore when you break it down, it's simply a matter of what is and isnt worth the risk.

maybe i just value people knowing i am telling the truth more than other people value it. i feel like it gives you a platform of power in social interactions because your word is worth more than someone who has lied in the past.

long or even short term risk assessment is something human beings are poor at, in isolation of other traits, incentives and circumstances that encourage lying

I won't say that lying is always bad. I lie to my parents all the time. My whole childhood was based on lying to my parents just to get to do normal things. Lying is not inherently immoral or risky.

Lying to your parents was very average thing for me as well. But it wasn't compulsory, it was simply that I didn't trust them with the truth. I loved them and they weren't really bad at all. But I didn't feel that they would react reasonably to some things I felt were minor.

The comedy here is that a dumb teenager is the one making these judgement calls. But even as i look back at most of them as an adult, It really was minor shit.

These days I would say I lie very little. I just don't surround myself with people that I feel I can't trust with the truth.

Moas, ground sloths, and giant bison were also slow breeding and that may have played a part in their extinction. They were also awesome.

It is a perfectly fine breeding strategy until some assholes arrive and start murdering you or wiping out the environment.

i definitely agree with that. i dont really have a problem lying to people who are crazy and have to be "managed" so you can lead a normal life. its when you lie to everyone about everything without a decent reason for it that i just dont get.

Like most self-destructive things people do without a decent reason, it's not logical

ftOqU21.png
    bad parents make me sad

The only reason I am not No Contact with my parents is because my mom tried so very hard

and so many of her failures are the results of being an abuse victim herself

Dis is exactly why my mother and I will remain in contact, too

Dad has no excuses. 6 feet under. I'm sure his new family is devastated.

Mainly because there are like vets and not just "walk it off and/or rub it in dirt" when something happens.

yes this

you know what happens to an animal in the wild when it develops "mental and physical disorders"?

they die

and don't fudge up the statistics for the healthy wild animals

Moas, ground sloths, and giant bison were also slow breeding and that may have played a part in their extinction. They were also awesome.

It is a perfectly fine breeding strategy until some assholes arrive and start murdering you or wiping out the environment.

it's perfectly fine until something changes and then you're kinda fucked

so it's not really a very good breeding strategy

ftOqU21.png
  • ChelleYeahChelleYeah Mrs. Ludious Living it up in Cinderella's CastleRegistered User regular
    Feel free to ask anything, honestly ...

I find trying to determine how my mind works as fascinating as anybody else :P

so why did you disappear before your wedding and steal the car?

I post Makeup stuff and Schnauzers on instagram.

Ludious wrote: »
    I react like a dyslexic crash test dummy. Hit the wall then the brakes.

Captive whales have demonstrably shortened lifespans compared to wild ones. Like as in decades in fucking difference.

http://www.orcahome.de/lifeexpectancy.htm
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captive_killer_whales#Disease_and_reduced_lifespan

Like it's not even debatable.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    epic email chain happening at work

yes this

you know what happens to an animal in the wild when it develops "mental and physical disorders"?

they die

and don't fudge up the statistics for the healthy wild animals

mostly unrelated fun fact: this is why wildlife in chernobyl is mostly doing fine: animals don't live long enough in the wild for dna damage to really become a problem

ftOqU21.png
    There is some evidence that a lot of slow breeding large animals in Australia went extinct soon after humans arrived. To be fair, carnivorous kangaroos.

Captive whales have demonstrably shortened lifespans compared to wild ones. Like as in decades in fucking difference.

http://www.orcahome.de/lifeexpectancy.htm
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captive_killer_whales#Disease_and_reduced_lifespan

Like it's not even debatable.

okay one of them

ftOqU21.png

it's perfectly fine until something changes and then you're kinda fucked

so it's not really a very good breeding strategy

assuming your environment will stay exactly the same forever within some very fine tolerances is not a winning survival strategy

even if humans hadn't come along it would have been a matter of time until a volcano went off or a meteor hit or the climate changed

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    epic email chain happening at work

Please tell me there are at least two back and forth loops about whose responsibility it is to do a thing.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Read an interesting story a while back about the effect of reintroducing wolves in some area.

Due to the lack of predators, herbivores killed off a ton of trees. After the wolves were reintroduced, the wolves keeping the herbivore population down made an entire area grow a forest and change the flow of a river.

This discussion has been closed.