As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A [chat] suitable for [chat]dren

19495969798100»

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Kagera wrote: »
    animals do not live shorter in captivity. Like, zero of them.

Mainly because there are like vets and not just "walk it off and/or rub it in dirt" when something happens.

Captive whales have demonstrably shortened lifespans compared to wild ones. Like as in decades in fucking difference.

http://www.orcahome.de/lifeexpectancy.htm
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captive_killer_whales#Disease_and_reduced_lifespan

Like it's not even debatable.

okay one of them

Oh okay you were just horribly wrong in one case. Sure.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Moas, ground sloths, and giant bison were also slow breeding and that may have played a part in their extinction. They were also awesome.

It is a perfectly fine breeding strategy until some assholes arrive and start murdering you or wiping out the environment.

it's perfectly fine until something changes and then you're kinda fucked

so it's not really a very good breeding strategy

"Perfectly fine until something changes and then you're kinda fucked" applies to pretty much every species when dealing with a huge new change like humans.

• GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Everytime I see that name I think of terrible puns.
    ARE YOU READY FOR THE GAME
    CHELLEYEAH I AM

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME GOOD DRUGS
    CHELLEYEAH I AM

If you wanna see me open a can of whoopass, gimme a chelleyeah

CHELLEYEAH!

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Moas, ground sloths, and giant bison were also slow breeding and that may have played a part in their extinction. They were also awesome.

It is a perfectly fine breeding strategy until some assholes arrive and start murdering you or wiping out the environment.

assuming your environment will stay exactly the same forever within some very fine tolerances is not a winning survival strategy

even if humans hadn't come along it would have been a matter of time until a volcano went off or a meteor hit or the climate changed

yeah, exactly

the environment will always change - a new species of predator, fauna changes, whatever

the adaptable survive

ftOqU21.png
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    ChelleYeah wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Narwhal what the public really needs to know is, are you a liar?

Absolutely. Almost habitually.

but why? i really want to understand this because my brother lies constantly and i just dont get it. i very very rarely lie. i even generally tell the truth when it can negatively impact me a lot.

i mean all i ever think is "what will happen if the truth comes out?" "what if i really need someone to believe my word but they dont anymore because they found out i lied?" it just doesnt seem WORTH it to me. like it doesnt even have to be a thing about morality anymore when you break it down, it's simply a matter of what is and isnt worth the risk.

maybe i just value people knowing i am telling the truth more than other people value it. i feel like it gives you a platform of power in social interactions because your word is worth more than someone who has lied in the past.

long or even short term risk assessment is something human beings are poor at, in isolation of other traits, incentives and circumstances that encourage lying

I won't say that lying is always bad. I lie to my parents all the time. My whole childhood was based on lying to my parents just to get to do normal things. Lying is not inherently immoral or risky.

Lying to your parents was very average thing for me as well. But it wasn't compulsory, it was simply that I didn't trust them with the truth. I loved them and they weren't really bad at all. But I didn't feel that they would react reasonably to some things I felt were minor.

The comedy here is that a dumb teenager is the one making these judgement calls. But even as i look back at most of them as an adult, It really was minor shit.

These days I would say I lie very little. I just don't surround myself with people that I feel I can't trust with the truth.

Yo this resonates with me.

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Today is gonna be one of those days.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    woah the new lol champ is out already, that was a fast turnaround.

Gnar is the last champion who will be available for tournament play for 2014 because of the way they handle tournaments and patches so they're speeding up champ releases since they dont have to worry about balance for finals and Worlds

Oh cool, Thats a really good idea!

Also LOL Raiden Mecha Yasuo is cool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LszW_xdi1eM&list=UUf2RHSSbKcE7NzUpuf7sWNA

obF2Wuw.png
  • ChelleYeahChelleYeah Mrs. Ludious Living it up in Cinderella's CastleRegistered User regular
    bad parents make me sad

they're the most important things in your lives and you have no right to fuck it up

They're great parents, is the weird thing!

They're bad people, unfortunately.

The cycle didn't start with them, in fairness.

It's the damned firewater, y'see.

Destroys native families.

Just fulfilling a stereotype.

my mom has become an alcoholic. no doubt in my mind that she wouldnt be one if it werent for my father. he disapproves of drinking so she binges out because basically "fuck that guy i can do what i want, i'm not his child". even though she then feels guilty for doing it and stays with him despite being treated like shit for drinking and for existing.

I post Makeup stuff and Schnauzers on instagram.

Ludious wrote: »
    I react like a dyslexic crash test dummy. Hit the wall then the brakes.
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Read an interesting story a while back about the effect of reintroducing wolves in some area.

Due to the lack of predators, herbivores killed off a ton of trees. After the wolves were reintroduced, the wolves keeping the herbivore population down made an entire area grow a forest and change the flow of a river.

i am sad Scotland axed the plan to reintroduce wolves

we really need it

the deer are tearing shit up faster than we can shoot them

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Geth, recycle the thread.

And don't pick me, you bastard.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Hmm maxed out om unused vacation time again

I am taking off tomorrow I guess for a 4-day weekend but I dunno what I should do

I should have planned a trip or something

Hello? Geth? Is this thing on?

Geth recycle the thread

GETH HAS GONE ROGUE

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Read an interesting story a while back about the effect of reintroducing wolves in some area.

Due to the lack of predators, herbivores killed off a ton of trees. After the wolves were reintroduced, the wolves keeping the herbivore population down made an entire area grow a forest and change the flow of a river.

we really need it

sounds like a job for AMERICA

sig.gif

assuming your environment will stay exactly the same forever within some very fine tolerances is not a winning survival strategy

even if humans hadn't come along it would have been a matter of time until a volcano went off or a meteor hit or the climate changed

yeah, exactly

the environment will always change - a new species of predator, fauna changes, whatever

the adaptable survive

Which is vastly different from a quick change like humans, a volcano eruption, or an asteroid impact. It is kind of hard to adapt to those due to the nature of them.

"Perfectly fine until something changes and then you're kinda fucked" applies to pretty much every species when dealing with a huge new change like humans.

apart from all the species that don't go extinct willy nilly who manage to adapt.

We're not wiping out the environment, we're changing it.

ftOqU21.png
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Geth gets two weeks off a year and fuck giving advanced notice.

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    parents, man. parents.

• HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    GETH HAS GONE ROGUE

RIOT!

sig.gif
    Alternate answer, the file not found errors we're getting are the remains of Geth's sucide at having to see one too many dick jokes.

• BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    ChelleYeah wrote: »
    Feel free to ask anything, honestly ...

I find trying to determine how my mind works as fascinating as anybody else :P

so why did you disappear before your wedding and steal the car?

Ah! Why do I run?

It's not a fear of punishment. As I've mentioned, thanks to chronic depression there's nothing you can take from me that I would care about!

The first thought im that situation, always, is "Oh god I'm really fucked up. I'm so fucked up that I caused unimaginable pain to these lovely people! Oh, they're so hurt. I am a danger to them. I need to go away."

Which is why my father's accusation that I don't feel remorse is particularly laughable.

It's been my primary motivator for years.

The only thing I've ever lost from lying that I cared about was my fiancee. And I had her so thoroughly abused that I had to be the one to leave, and then she begged me to come back.

But I would just keep hurting her, so I've never been in contact with her since then.

It's probably the only worthwhile thing I've ever done.

parents, man. parents.

I believe they just don't understand.

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.

yeah, exactly

the adaptable survive

Which is vastly different from a quick change like humans, a volcano eruption, or an asteroid impact. It is kind of hard to adapt to those due to the nature of them.

a new species of predator isn't a slow change either.

Before adapting to something you have to be able to survive it. Slow breeding makes you less resilient to change and setbacks.

ftOqU21.png

apart from all the species that don't go extinct willy nilly who manage to adapt.

We're not wiping out the environment, we're changing it.

Most animals don't actually survive the very quick environmental changes though. They are simply replaced by completely different species. Grasslands simply don't support the most of the same species as forests for example.

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

we really need it

sounds like a job for AMERICA

yes WTB some gun toting manics plz

when is the soonest you can deliver?

kind regards,

Scotland

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Tl:dr; alcohol has led to a family history of physical, emotional, and sexual abuse and it inevitably destroys families

It's funny. My dad's the drunk of the family. Every day 24/7/365

Yet he's the one who isn't a giant motherfucking selfish piece of blobby whale shit. That's my mom.

Example: My dad cooks my mom dinner, every night. But my mom is like a 1960 caricature except instead of the man coming home being a shitheel about dinner not being on the table the moment he walks in the door, it's my mom.

And god forbid if he makes something for himself that she can't eat because she's diabetic.

Trace on
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    By the way, to appropriately set my mood for that last post, please bookend it with *weeps openly*

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Burn this chat to the ground

house-on-fire.jpg

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    epic email chain happening at work

Please tell me there are at least two back and forth loops about whose responsibility it is to do a thing.

more like people question where this direction is coming from

senior person jumps in and says me

lower level person totally ignoring them, demanding they get what they want (which senior person just told them would not be happening)

• Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    geth, status report

Wqdwp8l.png
  • GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Nothing to report.

• Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    geth, recycle the thread

Wqdwp8l.png
  • GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was speeding through at warp 3.9

@Casual will create the new thread
    @Cinders is backup

This discussion has been closed.