As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Heroes: Part 2, The Revengeance

• devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Anyone notice that Nathan's appearance strongly resembled Peter? I know that Peter's never had a beard, but when you were looking at Nathan, I could have picked them as brothers if I saw them down the street.

devoir on
  • DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    DharmaBum wrote: »
    MaximumJ wrote: »
    Do we have any idea what powers Nathan's Mom and Papa Hiro have/had?
    Somthing involving a sword prehaps? He did have Ando go find one so he could fight.
    If that were the case you would think he would at least keep a knife on him at all times. Hell, being a CEO he could probably get away with walking around with a sword.
    I was under the impression that they had pretty much stopped using their powers some time ago.

DharmaBum on
  • IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Re: Hiro's old man
    I think he sent Ando for the sword so that he wouldn't interfere, giving him a chance to take the killer with him.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Iroh wrote: »
    Re: Hiro's old man
    I think he sent Ando for the sword so that he wouldn't interfere, giving him a chance to take the killer with him.

Yeah.
    It did seem suspicious after the whole "Ando, you've been a great guy, get the fuck outta here, what? You won't leave?" He then basically just said "Fine. Get me a sword which should take you just long enough to not get killed."

edit:

Dharma, Linderman used his that one episode and I think it would be silly to not use a power unless there was a significant drawback.

PantheraOnca on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Did everybody notice Ando bumping into Nathan on the street?

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited September 2007
    Yes. Was surprised no one had mentioned it, but I figured everyone had noticed and just not bothered to post.

devoir on
  • bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Did anyone notice the speech the copy-shop jack-ass gave Noah?

I'm pretty sure it's the exact same speech the jumpsuit-guy gave him when he was briefing him on his cover.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    Yes. Was surprised no one had mentioned it, but I figured everyone had noticed and just not bothered to post.

I noticed it, and was immediately reminded of Anchorman. Really, though, Nathan's entire character this episode reminded me of Anchorman- the beard, the drinking, the bumping into people- clearly going into space was a bad choice.

Dex Dynamo on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    devoir wrote: »

I noticed it, and was immediately reminded of Anchorman. Really, though, Nathan's entire character this episode reminded me of Anchorman- the beard, the drinking, the bumping into people- clearly going into space was a bad choice.

Oh jesus.
    Their team is called the News. As in "New Race".
    That way, Nathan can yell "NEWS-TEAM. ASSEMBLE!"
    And blow a conch shell. Only to find out that they were all right there the entire time.

The Muffin Man on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited September 2007
    As in "Huey Lewis and the"?

I'm going to leave this without any context.

DMAC on
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I still think West is kind of creepy, but I'm really liking his attitude in this week's comic.

CyberJackal on
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    DMAC wrote: »
    As in "Huey Lewis and the"?

I'm going to leave this without any context.

Do you like them?

Depressperado on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    i have to say, mr bennet continues to be the best part of everything that is. i wish they'd go ahead and make parkman a crazy mindraping badass like in the five years later episode, because this fat loser schlub who can't do any damn thing right act is wearing out real quick. parkman and nikki could really die for all i care.

as far as the two kids running through the jungle, my theory is that
    she's carrying the version of the legacy virus that infects regular people and at least one of them has superspeed
    or at least that's what all the innuendo seemed to indicate to me.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Personally, I wonder if
    the virus is even a serious threat, given that we know Mohinder was mostly just trying to bait the Company into approaching him. Doesn't he already basically have the cure in his blood?

Scooter on
    edited September 2007
    Scooter wrote: »
    Personally, I wonder if
    the virus is even a serious threat, given that we know Mohinder was mostly just trying to bait the Company into approaching him. Doesn't he already basically have the cure in his blood?
    Is it ever speciffically said that Mohinder does not have a power? Prehaps he has healing blood a-la Angel in X-Men. I would've bought it if his blood could save his sister without him being powered. But the fact that his blood cured the other little girl who wasn't related to him at all seems a little far fetched to me.

DharmaBum on
  • LepLep Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I just noticed that the Kensai's sword has that S symbol on the hilt.

Lep on
  • bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    only just? It was there all last season

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • LepLep Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Shows how observant I am eh?

Lep on
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Servo wrote: »
    i have to say, mr bennet continues to be the best part of everything that is. i wish they'd go ahead and make parkman a crazy mindraping badass like in the five years later episode, because this fat loser schlub who can't do any damn thing right act is wearing out real quick. parkman and nikki could really die for all i care.

she's carrying the version of the legacy virus that infects regular people and at least one of them has superspeed
    From TV Guide...she's the disease, he's the cure. So splitting them up is...not good.

Doctor Detroit on
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Servo wrote: »

From TV Guide...she's the disease, he's the cure. So splitting them up is...not good.
    That has to be the worst powers ever.

CyberJackal on
    edited October 2007
    She could be herpes walking.

devoir on
    edited October 2007
    Maybe if he's lucky his actual power is a Haitian-like nullification. Cause if your ability only works on one specific person, sucks to be you.

Scooter on
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So did they even bother trying to explain how Nathan survived the explosion? How the fuck does a nuclear explosion not kill a single person? Peter returning was a given, but keeping Nathan around is dumb.

Sam on
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sam wrote: »
    So did they even bother trying to explain how Nathan survived the explosion? How the fuck does a nuclear explosion not kill a single person? Peter returning was a given, but keeping Nathan around is dumb.

theres only one episode, there are still many left to sate our questions.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
    edited October 2007
    They've had one episode and he's one of like a dozen main characters.

So no.

Scooter on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Nathan could have dropped Peter and flown away. We've seen him break the sound barrier.

First episode made me go meh.
    I hate amnesia stories.
    I hate when shows retread the same story with different set pieces.
    Claire being special but having to hide it, only now she has to hide not only her powers but the fact that she knows science questiosn and can do a backtuck!
    I hate overwrought guilt.
    I dislike that just about every major event reminds me of a story arch I've read in an actual comic book.
    And, seriously, too soon for the
    Legacy Virus.

Yet with all of this I really, really liked the first season so I have hope. I felt the Parkman stuff was great and I like the fact that the three non-powered guys are the ones who are acting like super heroes right now.

They just better deliver with a big old power laden showdown at some point. If they blew all of their budget on hiring 80million cast members again I'm going to be ticked.

Accualt on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    What they need to do is have Hiro cure the legacy virus by sacrificing himself then coming back next season and no one cares because it's bringing back a beloved character, like they did with Colossus.

Then Matt can go all ultra crazy and be possessed by a space entity named after a greek myth.

The Muffin Man on
    edited October 2007
    So do we think that Hiro is actually the Kensai that he knows about in the past? Or does he just teach the real Kensai to be the Kensai of Hiro's boyhood stories?

DharmaBum on
  • PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    im going with hiro=kensei and the white guy later comes and steals residual benefits

PantheraOnca on
  • Retarded_TurkeyRetarded_Turkey Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    With Peter's return I think the Hatian wiped his mind because look at his necklace didn't the Hatian wear it last season? Nathan seeing himself in the mirror is just him being all guilty. I seriously hope D.L. is dead and Nikki is next. <3 Noah and his new job. Suresh is gonna be all double-agent and shit:D The Legacy Virus lady is being supressed by her brother and I'm getting bored of their story already. Hiro and Sark's adventures are pretty cool but I'm pretty sure some paradoxal shit is gonna go down.
    Tonights episode best be good *shakes fist*

Retarded_Turkey on
    camo_sig.png
    edited October 2007
    So do we think that Hiro is actually the Kensai that he knows about in the past? Or does he just teach the real Kensai to be the Kensai of Hiro's boyhood stories?
    Guess that solves that!

Somehow I think Hiro is going to end up being his own ancestor....
    Is Claire really short, or is West really tall? and where the hell did Peter get the power to shoot electricity?

DharmaBum on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Man, that was a pretty good episode. :^:
    Hiro being Kensei made sense, but Kensei having healing powers was an awesome reveal.
    Who the fuck was trying to kill Mrs. Petrelli?
    Fuck yes, the Haitian returns! Also, the part where he "erased" Mohinder's mind was a pretty cool scene.
    For people trying to keep their secrets to themselves, the Bennet's sure don't seem to like blinds or curtains. :roll:
    It looks like the amnesia is letting Peter use his powers like he was able to in "Five Years Later".

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Hiro being Kensei made sense, but Kensei having healing powers was an awesome reveal.
    Fuck yes, the Haitian returns! Also, the part where he "erased" Mohinder's mind was a pretty cool scene.
    For people trying to keep their secrets to themselves, the Bennet's sure don't seem to like blinds or curtains. :roll:
    It looks like the amnesia is letting Peter use his powers like he was able to in "Five Years Later".
    I actually JUST finished watching the first season this weekend (got out of sync last year, and never got around to renting the DVDs) and last week's ep, so I haven't watched last night's episode yet. Maybe you can enlighten me here: this series has a really odd vision of time-travel that doesn't seem to make sense.

In the first season, we have future-Hiro in a world where Sylar killed Claire, and thus survived the nuke. Future-Hiro goes back into his own history where he was never told to save the cheerleader. He returns to the future, but it's a future where Claire was saved. Yet somehow, inexplicably, Sylar ALSO survived the nuke. This implies that Hiro maintains all his memories when he travels, but that there's only one maleable timeline as opposed to parallel universes.

So now we've got our mainline present-Hiro traveling back three hundred years to Japan, where he immediately screws up history. He prevents Kensei from saving the village, and then to correct things Hiro inserts himself into the myth to bring it as close as possible to what he remembers. If he returns to the present and finds it how he expects it, that implies either that (a) the timeline is resistant to change, which implies some sort of divine guiding hand, or (b) Hiro was ORIGINALLY part of the myth. Option (b) contradicts season one, so we're stuck with (a).

But this ability of Hiro to mess with the past successfully flies in the face of his failures to save the waitress, and his presumable future failure to save his father.

Am I the only one wishing we'd get a coherent "this is how Hiro affects history" episode?

And...
    I hope we get SOME explanation for why Nathan is in the Senate. He won the election. Unless it was revealed that the election was rigged somehow to the populace, this is crazy.

Finally...
    Amnesiac Peter is kind of irritating, but it is nice to seem him using his powers a bit more creatively. I'm still waiting for him to start being REALLY smart about them though, e.g. taking a brief time-jaunt to the future to train himself, practice, etc. before returning to the present a la the climax of Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey. Actually, that applies to Hiro too, obviously.

mattharvest on
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The Kensei:
    Anyone else get the impression that his power is more Solomon Grundy and less wolverine? When he was dying he said "Maybe I'll be more heroic next time". I'm thinking he meant that quite literally.

Also, the killer:
    I have the distinct impression it's Grumpy, The Invisible Man, whom everyone seems to have forgotten about

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I figured it was a guy with psychich powers that makes your worst fear physically assault you. Like when Hiro's pops goes 'it's you', but we see no body. Mrs. Petrelli is probably afraid of bugs.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited October 2007
    DVG wrote: »
    Also, the killer:
    I have the distinct impression it's Grumpy, The Invisible Man, whom everyone seems to have forgotten about

Wouldn't Parkman have been able to hear his thoughts then?

DharmaBum on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    DVG wrote: »
    Also, the killer:

Wouldn't Parkman have been able to hear his thoughts then?
    Parkman seems to have gotten a lot more control over his mind reading.
    It doesn't seem like he picks up every stray thought anymore, but instead has to focus a bit on who he is trying to read. If he wasn't aware that invisi-hobo was there...

see317 on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I actually JUST finished watching the first season this weekend (got out of sync last year, and never got around to renting the DVDs) and last week's ep, so I haven't watched last night's episode yet. Maybe you can enlighten me here: this series has a really odd vision of time-travel that doesn't seem to make sense.

In the first season, we have future-Hiro in a world where Sylar killed Claire, and thus survived the nuke. Future-Hiro goes back into his own history where he was never told to save the cheerleader. He returns to the future, but it's a future where Claire was saved. Yet somehow, inexplicably, Sylar ALSO survived the nuke. This implies that Hiro maintains all his memories when he travels, but that there's only one maleable timeline as opposed to parallel universes.

So now we've got our mainline present-Hiro traveling back three hundred years to Japan, where he immediately screws up history. He prevents Kensei from saving the village, and then to correct things Hiro inserts himself into the myth to bring it as close as possible to what he remembers. If he returns to the present and finds it how he expects it, that implies either that (a) the timeline is resistant to change, which implies some sort of divine guiding hand, or (b) Hiro was ORIGINALLY part of the myth. Option (b) contradicts season one, so we're stuck with (a).

But this ability of Hiro to mess with the past successfully flies in the face of his failures to save the waitress, and his presumable future failure to save his father.

Am I the only one wishing we'd get a coherent "this is how Hiro affects history" episode?

And...
    I hope we get SOME explanation for why Nathan is in the Senate. He won the election. Unless it was revealed that the election was rigged somehow to the populace, this is crazy.

Finally...
    Amnesiac Peter is kind of irritating, but it is nice to seem him using his powers a bit more creatively. I'm still waiting for him to start being REALLY smart about them though, e.g. taking a brief time-jaunt to the future to train himself, practice, etc. before returning to the present a la the climax of Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey. Actually, that applies to Hiro too, obviously.

Actually I think we are meant to believe that Claire was never actually killed in the timeline Future Hiro came from. Hiro thought she was dead, but she was really in hiding the whole time.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited October 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »

And...

Finally...

Actually I think we are meant to believe that Claire was never actually killed in the timeline Future Hiro came from. Hiro thought she was dead, but she was really in hiding the whole time.
    Perhaps, but now the "bomb" hasn't blown up NY. So that automatically contradicts the future that we saw.

Grifter on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    well yeah, that future has been prevented now. I just mean that just because Future Hiro thought something was the case dosen't make it true. The events in that plaza are what changed the future, not Peter saving Claire from Sylar because in Hiro's future that had happaned anyway.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]