As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need a map design program

ResonantResonant Registered User regular
edited October 2006 in Critical Failures
My friends and I have been developing a table top game a la Advanced Wars. We really haven't thought of a name, but we have a rule book, and a system that runs of tics and such.

Anyways, we have a board. We want to make a map. We want a program to randomly generate it, and not make it ourselves to be fair for everyone else.

The best I've come up with is Dwarf Fortress dumping the map, blurring it so the ASCII characters go away, and making the contrast higher so its less dark.

End result:
LINK NSF56K
maphh1.th.jpg

It looks like complete ass.

I pretty much need a program that's free, and can do simple terrain/water generation. It doesn't need to be SUPER detailed (it'd be better though). We are looking for pretty much mountains, desert, jungle, and lake/rivers.

TTG Forum, I need your help. <3

convergesig.jpg
Resonant on

• Options
    Legoman05Legoman05 Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    What about Google Earth?

I mean, what could be better than the real thing?

Legoman05 on
  • Options
    ResonantResonant Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Legoman05 wrote:
    What about Google Earth?

I mean, what could be better than the real thing?

That could possibly work, but that would be a last ditch effort.

We really want something that hasn't been seen before. It would just be better to generate a story and stuff off of.

Resonant on
    convergesig.jpg
  • Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Bryce or terragen maybe?
    Edit:
    Even photoshop will do. I put this together in a few minutes using the render/clouds and trace contour filters.
    [url][/url]

The roads and rivers are daft at the moment, but you could quite easily delete the ones that don't make sense, or actually.. draw some..

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    robaalrobaal Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Bryce or terragen maybe?
    Edit:
    Even photoshop will do. I put this together in a few minutes using the render/clouds and trace contour filters.
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/penleeki/eg.jpg

The roads and rivers are daft at the moment, but you could quite easily delete the ones that don't make sense, or actually.. draw some..

I like how some of the roads are just circles :)

robaal on
    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra when suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath.
    At night, the ice weasels come."