As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

WA Tax Exemption?

MagmarosMagmaros Registered User regular
Hi Guys, I was just wondering, I'm from Alberta up in Canada and we get exemption from Washington State sales tax, anyone know if we can do this at the Con and how we'd go about it with the vendors?

http://dor.wa.gov/nonresidents/

• Rhea_starstormRhea_starstorm Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure about in the con but in general flash your ID and metion it. I'm from oregon and we are exempt as well. Some vendors are aware and follow the rules and others look at you like you are crazy

• MagmarosMagmaros Registered User regular
    Cool, so some of them have systems in place to take off the tax?

• ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    My experience has been most don't care and charge it as things are too crazy for them to worry about a few tax evaders :dizzy_face: I did get Astro to refund my taxes to me though by emailing them my receipt and proof I lived in Oregon. All you can do is ask just don't be shocked if they tell you oh we don't charge tax (they do it's figured into the prices) or that they just don't have the ability to remove your taxes. Keep in mind a large portion of vendors are not from WA so don't know about tax exempt states. I think there's only a couple of us left.

Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• Rhea_starstormRhea_starstorm Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    ElmoFuntz wrote: »
    My experience has been most don't care and charge it as things are too crazy for them to worry about a few tax evaders :dizzy_face: I did get Astro to refund my taxes to me though by emailing them my receipt and proof I lived in Oregon. All you can do is ask just don't be shocked if they tell you oh we don't charge tax (they do it's figured into the prices) or that they just don't have the ability to remove your taxes. Keep in mind a large portion of vendors are not from WA so don't know about tax exempt states. I think there's only a couple of us left.
    I forgot about the figured into the price bit. I did run into that alot in 2011 & 2012.

• bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    Myself, while I could do it being an OR resident, it's generally not that much (I don't really buy big ticket items at PAX) so I don't worry about it too much.

PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
  • Bladed CicadaBladed Cicada Registered User regular
    Without leaving a link, Google Washington state sales tax exemption and it will lead you to wa states .gov page. As is states, at the end of the day, sellers are not required to provide tax exemption. So its up to the seller entirely. The page goes into detail :)

• XarthanXarthan Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Astro always charged me Sales Tax despite me flashing my Oregon License. Don't remember if they did last year thou.

Xarthan on
  • banghibanghi luddite... CascadiaRegistered User regular
    from the link in the OP...
    Sellers are not required to make tax-exempt sales
    Sellers are not required to make tax-exempt sales to nonresidents.

just don't be surprised if they give you the option of paying the tax or not making the purchase. also, not valid for food service... although all grocery food items are tax free (not deli items).

pax
    clt
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Also Albertan. I think it has to be stuff that you'll be taking out of state like souvenirs (comic shop in Pike Place gave me the discount), but I also had to fill out a line on a form with my name, address, and some form of ID (drivers license in this case). Basically, pick your battles.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • StrifeStrife Registered User regular
    Most stores will be happy to offer tax exemption if you come from a region that does not pay state tax, however, this is an elective service, which means that businesses are not required to offer tax exemption.

That said, it's hard to identify which vendors will offer that service since they are each prepared differently have come from different areas.

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    As a retail business owner, here's how it works: To obey the letter of the law, retailers are required to have you fill out a form that they can then give to their accountant to track any tax exempt sales that they make. Some retailers don't bother with the form and just suck up the tax themselves later. Others (especially big purchases) will have you take a minute to fill it out.

Many stores don't know about the allowance, or don't have accounting set up to handle it, and others can't take the time to drop everything and have you fill out a tax form for the government.

As has been stated already, sellers are not required to give you tax exemption.

Spirits sales are not Tax exempt under any circumstance.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    If it is a standard form available digitally, it may be worth the time to print off a few to bring with you. Just have any personal information filled out prior. Should make it a lot easier to get your exemption if you're taking on some of the hassle yourself ahead of time, at the very least it will just speed up the process (if they accept it).

• MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    I bought some booze at the Target on Pike, and when they carded me they noticed my Oregon license and asked if I wanted to be tax exempt. I almost hugged the cashier. So this is totally a thing, and the Target makes it really easy.