As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Pbp] -13th Age - Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil Chapter 1. - The Moathouse

astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy...Registered User regular
edited December 2015 in Critical Failures
Continuing the OP thievery of prior 13th Age threads…

13th Age:

As a reminder, Linkage, and Miscellany
13th Age is the latest twist on a long series of heroic fantasy games, an indie game equal parts D&D and storygame. If you are familiar with D&D, you'll find that 13th Age is a game where you are given ample opportunities to influence the path the story is taking, on both a micro and macro level, with mechanics that model how you, with your character's ties to the world as a proxy, are on equal storytelling footing as the GM. If you are familiar with storygames, you'll find that 13th Age marries collaborative storytelling with the combat crunch of modern D&D, allowing for heroic action without getting bogged down with a huge set of rules.

Its brand of d20 will be most familiar to fans of 4e, with doses of inspiration from 3e. It comes from lead designers of those editions, on that note.

If you have the 13th Age book(s), you can create a 1st level character using the races and classes in the core book and 13 True Ways. Also available are the other classes published on the Pelgrane Press webpage (linked below). There's a PDF character sheet below, or you can just render your character in text. Follow the process from the core book, and ping the thread if you need pointers or have questions or whatever. You can roll abilities or use point buy --- but if you roll you're stuck with your "interesting" results unless they're horrible. Just do point buy unless you want to live on the edge.

The one unique thing describes something rad and interesting about your character
You have 3 icon relationship points to spend on 1-3 icons; each point is a d6 to roll for relationships, you're hoping for 6s and can (probably) live with 5s
You get 8 background points, each point is a +1 to a roll when you make an ability check where the background is relevant --- these describe what your character does and did, and should inform us of his/her history alongside implying his/her skillset

A very useful reference for most things 13th Age: http://www.13thagesrd.com
13 Facts about 13th Age (describes the one unique thing, icon relationships, and backgrounds, among others): http://www.pelgranepress.com/?p=8583
13th Age Resources (player game aid, 13th Age character sheets): http://www.pelgranepress.com/?p=8764
Summary of the icons: http://www.pelgranepress.com/?p=7790
Some Generally helpful word docs: http://www.pelgranepress.com/?p=13316
STALWART Class: http://www.pelgranepress.com/?p=13622
VANGUARD Class: http://www.pelgranepress.com/?p=13618
ELEMENTALIST Class: http://www.pelgranepress.com/?p=13118
ELDRITCH KNIGHT Class: http://www.pelgranepress.com/?p=11922

About Me:
I have run several D20 Game systems as a GM; it has mostly been D&D 3 and 3.5 with some of WotC’s Call of Cthulu as well. I have played in a few D&D 4E Pbps in these forums that either died almost immediately or lasted a few months before fading away. I am feeling the urge to run a game again pretty badly and these boards seem like the best place to do that. I am a full-time student and in two weeks I will be leaving my full-time job to be a stay-at-home dad to my first son. I plan on updating this campaign daily and hope to see it through from 1st to 10th level, but school and being a daddy means that I may miss a day or two here or there. I will let you know if that is happening. I am also an advocate of combat using “the theatre of the mind’s eye” (in no way related to my map tools incompetence).

This will be my first 13th Age campaign. I love the system and I’m glad I picked this up for my birthday since I blasted through the core book in two days. I may need some practice in handing over (some of) the reins to PCs, but I look forward to the challenge.

About You:
You? You’re awesome! You want to play 13th Age with me and rise from a lowly adventurer to an epic paragon of destiny. I am looking for 6 PCs. You should be able to post at least 5-10 times a week. Ideally I would like a mix of old and new players. Create 1 1st-level PC using 28-point buy or chance it with Geth with 4d6, drop the lowest, arrange to taste. Again, use the core book, 13 True Ways, and 4 extra classes above. I am ok with using fluff to create the character you really want (within reason). Want to battle with two daggers, and hate the idea of a ranger or rogue? Use standard 2H weapon rules and damage and make it a fighter or barbarian. Want to be a sentient plant? Pick the race that best fits what you envision and we’ll go from there. If you wish to create a second character, PM me to let me know that you are posting a new character in the thread. Post your creation here with any relevant backstory and then post your vote. Wait a minute? Your vote? (No more vote, Campaign Chosen!)

Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil

Background:

25 years ago, the forces of evil staged an epic battle near the remote, tiny village of Hommlet. They attempted to commune with dark elemental forces to bring the region under the control of darkness. This faction was not openly allied with any of the icons in the known world (though some suspect that the Prince of Shadows, The Three, or The Diabolist tried to work both sides) and instead were in thrall to a dark god known simply as “The Elder Elemental Eye”. The threat was concentrated in a magnificent conduit of unholy energy known as the Temple of Elemental Evil, and rose in power exponentially quickly, capturing nearly all of the wild areas to the north and west of the known land along with massive swaths of the underworld. Icons that normally were at each other’s throats signed a temporary truce to eradicate this threat, and some say that even the Lich King promised not to taint the dead upon that battle field, as the undead servants of the Elder Elemental Eye did not heed his call. The Emperor’s father led the charge and after five days of ferocious fighting, the Icons of the 13th Age prevailed and order was maintained. The temple was razed and the regions occupied by the strange cult soon fell as well. Unfortunately, the toll was so great on the allied forces that they did not venture into the vast catacombs below the Temple and strike the final deathblow.

10 years later, violence around Hommlet was linked to the Temple ruins and to the moathouse near town that served as an advance outpost. Rather than large armies, small bands of adventurers ventured into those vile places and stopped the secretly rebuilding cult from using the Orb of Golden Death, an artifact of unmeasurable power, to open the gates to the lairs of the Princes of Elemental Evil, malevolent beings that dwell in another universe that seek to consume our world into their own unlivable realms. The Temple was then cleansed, consecrated, and sealed.

No one has much reason to seek adventure in Hommlet anymore. The remote village is hardly even bothered by bandits, let alone world-shattering forces of evil. Adventurers have tried to return over the years, but have found little at the ruined temple or moathouse to justify their time or energy. Life has become bucolic and predictable in the golden hills of the region. Yet, you are compelled to come because…[insert Icon rolls and prologue motivation here]

Posting Guidelines:
All in game action will be in normal black text, but please bold all spoken dialogue. You may wish to italicize internal dialogue as well, but that is not a hard rule. We will cover combat once the game proper kicks in. Out of game conversation can be handled via message or more commonly by using spoiler tags. Use the @ourname function to call attention to these if needed.

An example might look like:

Bill readies his mace and kicks down the door. This is it, my big moment. Using all of his fury and wit, he screams "Come at me, bro!"

@astrobstrd‌
That was pretty cool, right? Do I notice anything funny about the door before I kick it in?

Icon Spotlights

The High Druid
No one knows the name of the newest High Druid, and the young half-elf almost seems to resent the very idea of names. That does not mean that she is distant or impersonal however. In comparison to her predecessor, she is mostly seen as a force for good in the world. As the Archmage continues his descent into paranoia and madness, The High Druid has set up eco-friendly small communities that give refuge to those effected by the damage done. The previous High Druid was a recluse, while the new High Druid engages with other icons and has even been spotted in a few cities. This does not mean that she is universally beloved though. Most farmers, mages, sailors, and those living in large cities fear that she may be using diplomacy to loosen their grip on shaping the earth and setting up those she allies with to be absorbed into her plans to unchain The Midland Sea

Her relationship with the Emperor is a tenuous one. He still values the strength and familiarity of The Archmage, so on paper, the Empire considers agents of The High Druid to be saboteurs and terrorists. In reality, almost no soldier has set foot in the Wild Wood or taken action against her. This, and the fact that The Priestess is rumored to have a friendly relationship with her only serves as fuel for The Archmage's paranoia.

The Orc King (Lord)
Orcs have always been a problem, but for the past few ages, they were more of a nuisance to The Dragon Empire than a true threat. Five years ago, in the midst of the Greypire War, the northern human settlements and dwarven villages outside of Forge were swarmed by well-coordinated attacks that included twisted beasts, ogres, goblins, hill giants, and orcs led by a new breed of orc that exhibited cunning and savagery not seen in generations. They were led by a woman that rose from the breeding pits and cowed the wastelands into submission. Known by many names, the orcs refer to her as Oonkva which translates roughly as "The Wound That Festers and Spreads". "King" is a title she has adopted as both a mockery of the Dwarf King and Lich King and a sign of respect among the fierce patriarchal culture of the orcs. Her power is truly frightening. She has tamed Lalia, the mother of all Manticores and rides her into battle. Her presence has rapidly increased the breeding capability, intelligence, and sheer barbarism of the Orc Horde.

For now, citizens of The Dragon Empire breathe a sigh of relief, as Oonkva has set her sights on conquering all of the northern wastelends, putting her in direct conflict with The Red. The Red decimates armies of her soldiers in a series of unending skirmishes. What's terrifying is that she appears to be winning. Slowly, but surely she is claiming hoards from the primordial gargantua. The Archmage is eager to study her, since the source of her power does not seem to be magical, natural, or divine. It is rumored that he instigated her into attacking the north to test the defenses of the realm. Few doubt that this rumor, but even fewer speak it aloud. Not only are the Archmage's spies everywhere, but if true, the defenses served only long enough to slow her down. Only with the aid of the Elves, the Dwarves, and some even say The Lich King (who wants an intact Dragon Empire to rule) did this exploratory force get driven back.

The Archmage
Leopold Yacobin has been Archmage for nearly 80 years. A child prodigy, Leopold graduated from The Arcanum at 9 and had become The Archmage by his 25th birthday. He has guided 3 emperors through what has mostly been described as a bountiful and (relatively) peaceful era. The Archmage was also a fine physical specimen for most of his life; stately and handsome, he led skirmishes on the front lines well into his 70's. His positive contributions to the safety of The Dragon Empire, the art of magic, and civilization as a whole are nearly immeasurable.

Since the beginning of the decade though, The Archmage has slowly become a complete recluse and runs Horizon through his massive and loyal bureaucracy. There are rumors that he has begun toying with dark magics to extend his reign, restore his youthly vigor, and conjuring fears of The Lich King, achieve immortality. Even those who would question his methods within the empire remain silent as those who speak out tend to disappear or suffer timely accidents. He spends less and less time maintaining the defenses of the realm, leaving The Priestess to pick up his slack. The fact that she is able to do so, drives him mad. The Emperor seems to seek his council much as his father and grandmother did in ages past, but many hope that he does this just to keep an eye on the mad genius. Recently, The Crusader has also been spotted visiting his shuttered spire in the heart of Horizon.

Many of the signature spells of The Archmage involved butterflies, from flight with butterfly wings to polymorph spells using cocoons. Now, The Archmage uses them to spy on enemies (and allies); not even The High Druid claims dominion over these small creatures anymore. People rightly quiet down and shutter their doors when they see one alight on a flower nearby.

The Lich King

Many of the Icons of the 13th Age are worshiped by their followers, but only two have the actual ability to literally claim godhood, The Great Gold Wyrm and Vecna, The Lich King. Ruler of the First Age, Vecna was struck down by the might of all of the other combined Icons. But the Wizard King did not have the ability to truly die, so powerful were his immortality magics. His phylactery is rumored to be an object that is magically indestructible and unknowable. He was merely driven underground where he plots his eventual conquest of his former lands. Vecna's plots span generations and have innumerable backups and contingencies. When any foul event despoils the land, most folk suspect the machinations of The Lich King, and with some degree of certainty, they would be right.

His true joy is in making his simple mortal enemies give up what they hold dear for his aid. His worshipers claim that he was never "struck down", but actually bargained to be "Lord of the Dead" in exchange for sparing the Dragon Empire from the mind-controlled behemoths he planned to use to smash Axis to pieces. This title gives him right to any "unclaimed" dead after two days. As anyone can imagine, performing last rites and securing graveyards are among the most sacred duties any priest carries out, so much so that suicide squadrons of clerics and paladins often rush onto lost battlefields to perform the duty at any cost. After The Priestess, High Consecrator of the Realm is the loftiest position any holy man or woman can occupy.

It is hard to know where the truth begins and ends since Vecna is lord of secrets, but his official godhood began after his servants "lost" The Greypire War. He now has a temple within the walls of The Cathedral and his cult, or rather "religion", is slowly growing in ranks. The Empire keeps tight watch on these new temples to ensure no laws are broken, but for now seem to be leaving them be. Servants of the gods of good and The Great Gold Wyrm work to undermine these stained places, but The Priestess is curiously silent on the matter.

Our Cast:

@discrider as Maldras the Human Bard – A storyteller who grew up revering the Prince of Shadows, he now spins tales and swindles coin. He has managed to stay one step ahead of the law and his marks.

@Capfalcon as Golnar the Half-Orc Stalwart – A living weapon breathed into life by the unbridled experimentation of the Archmage. Golnar draws on the might of his flaming heart and can smash doors with his bare fists or exchange secrets with the burning wick of a candle.

@Kirindal as All-Seeing Sabeiha Raseed the Human Fighter – A mercenary trained in magical theorems with ties to the gods. She fights blind since her tie is cursed sight, shared by the sleeping mad deity.

@Ardent as Fultur Hammershadow the Dwarf Wizard – A dwarf who became a wizard for the best possible reason: spite. His success has drawn the eye of the Archmage, who fears that Fultur may be his prophesied successor.

@dracil as Caldon, the Human Cleric – A rather astute fellow who has seen the light on how the world REALLY works. Life’s all a game and we are just the pieces in it; All praise the astrobstrd! All fear the Geth!

@boozer as Vanminar Tel’Azahd the Half-Elf Sorcerer – A techno mage that boasts truly out of this world heritage. The life of a hermit has given him a taste for the finer things in life, no matter if those belonged to someone else or not.

Current Progress:

Prologue

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
astrobstrd on

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Geth roll 6#4d6k3 for There are 6 attributes in this game right?

There are 6 attributes in this game right?:
    6#4d6k3 6 # 16 [4d6k3=[6, 6, 4], 3] 14 [4d6k3=[6, 4, 4], 2] 12 [4d6k3=[5, 4, 3], 1] 7 [4d6k3=[3, 3, 1], 1] 14 [4d6k3=[6, 5, 3], 1] 17 [4d6k3=[6, 6, 5], 1]

Geth roll 1d13 for class

class:
    1d13 2 [1d13=2]

So a bard then.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I'm interested. Not sure what I want to play as I'm currently a Sorcerer and Rogue in the other games here.

• am0nam0n Registered User regular
    I'm in. Either campaign is fine, but I would be leaning towards ToEE. I'll roll up something tonight when time permits.

edited January 2016
    Maldras the Human Bard

Str 7, Con 16, Dex 18, Int 12, Wis 17, Cha 12

HP 30, AC 16, PD 14, MD 13, Initiative +5 (Adv), Recoveries 8, Recovery dice 1d8 + 3

Basic Attacks:
    Melee: +5 vs AC, 1d8 + 4 dmg, 1 on miss.
    Ranged: +5 vs AC, 1d6 + 4 dmg
    Battle Chant: +4 vs MD, 1d6 + 3 thunder dmg

Talents:
    Balladeer (Improvised icon points)
    Mythkenner (Pick Wis or Cha, +1 icon, +2 background to 6)
    Battle Skald (+1 Battle cry)

Battle Cries:
    Pull it Together (On 11+, ally spends a recovery to heal that plus 1d4 per escalation, 2x fight)
    Stay Strong! (On 16+, ally receives +2AC until start of my next turn)
    Move it! (On even, ally can attempt disengage or otherwise move for free)

Spells + Songs
    Battle Chant (An at will ranged spell on nearby target which can be flexible for Battle Cries. Wis + 1 vs MD. 1d6 + Wis dmg)
    Song of Heroes (+1 attack for you and ally nearby. 11+ to sustain. Final verse grants +2 attack to one ally. Recharge on 11+ after fight)

Ballads:
    The boy and the Lady (+2 Elf Queen, cursed dice Archmage)

Feats:
    Pull together heals + Escalation#d4
    Battle Chant uses d6s for damage instead of d4s

Equipment:
    Longsword, Light Crossbow, Lute, Pipes, Drum, Dice, One White Ball, Half a Deck of Cards and a Rain Cloak (elven).

Gold: 15 36 gp

Icons:
    2 Positive with The Prince of Shadows
    1 Negative with the Emperor
    1 Positive with the High Druid

Background:
    +6 Lore of the Old Ones (Icon Mythology)
    +2 Tavern Sense Crowd Control
    +2 Traveller

One Unique Thing:
    Excels at games of chance.

Backstory:
    A story has power. Of that much, he had always been certain. When the minstrels and traveling pipers came to play, the effect on the townsfolk around him was always pronounced. Arguments were forgotten. Hopes soared. Even the day itself was renewed. And so too they took root in the young one.

Still of all the stories that he housed, one came to the forefront. That of the man who used the stories as a cloak. He who is never seen but lives in the stories and in the mind's eye of all. The Prince of Shadows. Never in the forefront and so of whom no fact was true, but always spinning his magic so that his victims would always embellish his crimes and compassion beyond that of mortal ken.

But growing up, these stories lost their luster. Staying in the shadows and swindling the common folk was often the only way to support a new story spinner. And his devotion to the story caused its own troubles as luck started to fall in his favor more often than was advisable. So you wind up on the road, making new friends to replace the old, and dodging those who would incarcerate you, and surviving off whatever the land provides.

And now Maldras finds himself here, in a new town looking for a new story to keep him satiated.

Geth roll 1d2 for Wis/Cha

Wis/Cha:
    1d2 1 [1d2=1]

discrider on
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Geth roll 6#4d6k3 for Let's see some 18s!

Edit: A 5, huh... Ok. I'll figure this out.

Let's see some 18s!:
    6#4d6k3 6 # 13 [4d6k3=[5, 4, 4], 1] 16 [4d6k3=[6, 5, 5], 2] 16 [4d6k3=[6, 6, 4], 1] 5 [4d6k3=[3, 1, 1], 1] 14 [4d6k3=[6, 4, 4], 1] 8 [4d6k3=[3, 3, 2], 1]

Capfalcon on
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    By the way, anyone still on the fence about 13 True Ways should know that the Necromancer class has a talent where they can power up a spell if they spend their entire turn delivering a monologue.

If that doesn't make you want to buy the book, I truly pity you.

edited October 2014
    Golnar, the Half Orc Stalwart

Str 18, Con 18, Dex 8, Int 5, Wis 14, Cha 13

HP 30,
    AC 16,
    PD 16,
    MD 12,
    Initiative +0
    Recoveries 8,
    Recovery dice 1d10 + 4

Features:
    Greatness
    Greatness represents the belief in your power during the ups and downs of battle. Many of the stalwart’s powers function only when the stalwart has greatness. Greatness is either on or off– you either have greatness, or you don’t. The default is that you do not start a battle with greatness.
    You gain greatness when you are hit by an enemy attack.
    You lose greatness when you miss all enemies with an attack. You also lose greatness when you become unconscious, and when a battle ends.

Empowered by Fate
    You gain 1 relationship point with the High Druid.
    When an ally rolls a 5 or a 6 on an icon relationship roll with the Icon(s) this feature gave you a relationship point with, start the next turn in battle with greatness.

Strength of Many
    You can lift twice and support about as much weight as two otherwise identical creatures normally can, and can move normally while carrying about your own weight (or twice your weight total). You also gain the use of power stunt.
    Power stunt: At the start of each battle, roll a d6. Any time after the escalation die reaches that number, you’ll be able to use a quick action to spend your greatness and execute a power stunt. Normally you can only use power stunt once per battle, but circumstances, geography, or excellent planning may suggest that you can pull it off more than once.
    Power stunts are improvisational effects that play off your preternatural strength.
    Adventurer Feat: You instead lift, support, and move normally with a total of about five times the normal amount. Also, roll an additional d20 for power stunt (any time after the escalation die reaches that number, gain an additional use of power stunt this battle).

Unarmed Attacks
    Stalwart unarmed attacks are light/simple weapons that do 1d6 plus any applicable modifiers.

Talents:
    Empowered by the Earth
    The relationship granted by Empowered by Fate may now be with the High Druid. You gain the Elementalist feature Elemental Bond and may improve it with feats up to your tier. In addition, you may select one Elementalist power of your level or lower instead of a Stalwart power. You may improve this power with feats normally.

Elemental Bond
    You have Resistance 12+ Fire. In addition, your Elementalist powers do this type of damage.

Limbs of Iron
    You use strength rather than dexterity when determining AC in no armor, when making ranged weapon attacks and when using stalwart powers.

Weapons of Giants
    You wield, forge, or improvise oversized weapons. While you have greatness, increase your weapon and unarmed damage dice by one step.

Powers:
    Lethal (Racial Power)
    Once per battle, reroll a melee attack and use the roll you prefer as the result.

Fire Tempered Flesh (Mithril Mountain)
    Daily
    Recharge 16+
    Quick action
    Effect: Until the end of your next turn, you gain resistance 16+ to all damage.

Indomitable
    Greatness power
    At-will (once per round)
    Interrupt action; requires greatness
    Trigger: You are subjected to a condition, or an effect a save can end.
    Effect: Roll a saving throw. On a success, you are not subjected to the condition, or you save against the effect.
    Special: You may use this power when first subjected to a last-gasp effect, to make a free saving throw against it.

Catching Mice
    Melee attack
    At-will
    Quick action, requires greatness
    Target: One creature
    Attack: Strength + Level vs. PD.
    Hit: You grab the target.
    Special: You may use this power as a free action when an enemy attempts to disengage from you, by spending your greatness.

Giant Strike
    Melee attack
    At-will
    Target: One non-staggered non-mook enemy
    Attack: Strength + targets Level vs. AC
    Damage: WEAPON + Strength + Constitution Damage.
    Miss: Damage equal to your level.

Devour the Flame of Life (BLOOD FOR THE STONE)
    Daily
    Recharge 16+
    Free action when you hit an enemy with an attack
    Effect: You gain temporary hit points equal to the damage dealt to that enemy.

Feats:
    Strength of Many
    Adventurer Feat: You instead lift, support, and move normally with a total of about five times the normal amount. Also, roll an additional d20 for power stunt (any time after the escalation die reaches that number, gain an additional use of power stunt this battle).

Icons:
    High Druid (2 Positive)
    Archmage (2 Negative)

Background:
    Lone Survivor 4
    Flame Whisperer 4

One Unique Thing:
    My heart has been replaced with an ember from a Fire Elemental.

Backstory:
    Golnar doesn't really remember much before stumbling out of the smoking ruins of one of the Archmage's many labs. Considering what kind of shape he was in when he escaped, he considers that a blessing. Having an ember of a fire elemental bound inside of him couldn't have been a pleasant experience, after all. Between their shared disgust with the Archmage's experiments on living creatures, Golnar soon fell into the High Druid's service, where he learned to use the shard of living fire to strengthen himself.

Able to wrestle bears and make them cry "Uncle", Golnar is self-confident to the point of arrogance. His experiences with the Archmage has soured him on wizards and their ilk, but he's aware that most of them don't engage in the same twisted experimentation.

Currently, a disturbance in the natural order caught the High Druid's attention, and Golnar has been sent to investigate and take care of any problems.

Capfalcon on
    I kind of made Golnar with The Temple of Elemental Evil in mind, so that's my vote, by the way.

• astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    @discrider‌ - Looks good so far, but make certain to choose a balladeer song on your next edit. I foresee any icon being in play at several points during either campaign, so that should be a fun ability to scale.

@capfalcon - Looks legit as well. First vote tallied for RttTEE.

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    I've wanted to do 13th Age and getting an email about 13 True Ways gave me the itch again so I'm in. As far as chargen, by core book, I'm assuming that means I can't use 13 True Ways?

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
    Yeah. I don't have it unfortunately.

• KirindalKirindal Registered User regular
    Geth roll 6#4d6k3 Let's see what the bones have to say.

Let's see what the bones have to say.:
    6#4d6k3 6 # 13 [4d6k3=[5, 4, 4], 1] 10 [4d6k3=[5, 3, 2], 1] 12 [4d6k3=[5, 4, 3], 1] 16 [4d6k3=[6, 6, 4], 2] 16 [4d6k3=[6, 6, 4], 2] 10 [4d6k3=[5, 3, 2], 2]

• Jester313Jester313 Registered User regular
    Kirindal wrote: »
    Geth roll 6#4d6k3 Let's see what the bones have to say.

Knowing nothing about this system, I'm gonna say "nice roll."

• KirindalKirindal Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Name: All-Seeing Sabeiha Raseed

Class: Fighter [+Str]
    Race: Human [+Con]
    Level: 1

Abilities: Strength 15 (+2), Dexterity 16 (+3), Constitution 18 (+4), Wisdom 12 (+1), Intelligence 10, Charisma 10

HP/Defenses/Other
    HP 36/36; Recoveries 9/9 [1d10 + 4]
    AC:19; PD: 14; MD: 11
    Initiative: +4

One Unique Thing:
    Her eyes are bound to that of a slumbering god, as long as her eyes remain sealed, the nightmarish dreams of the god cannot cross over into the material world and be made flesh.

Icon Relationships:
    Lich King: Negative, 2
    Priestess: Conflicted, 1

Feats:
    Further Backgrounding: Add 2 total points to your backgrounds, or 2 new points of backgrounds

Backgrounds:
    (5) Warleader of the Two-Oaks Wolfhound Free Company - A veteran of the recent Greypyre War, Sabeiha led the Two-Oaks Wolfhound Free Company a band of like-minded mercenaries and sellswords who fought for the Kingdom of Vinyon. Under her leadership, the Free Company saw battle and very healthy purses fighting the undead janissaries of God-Imperator Vythen and the infamous Red-Eyes of the Malidor Khannate to name a few of the warring participants.

(3) Blind, Not Insensate Hunter - It is said that having willingly blinded herself for most of her adult life, Sabeiha finds that it hasn't been a disability. Far from it, some would say that Sabeiha sees the world far more clearly than anyone with two functional eyes. Certainly one can't argue with her ability to track down her targets with nothing more than her ears, nose, and the occasional light touch of her fingers. Nor can it be disputed that her dignity remains intact as she never seems to run headlong into or trip over obstacles.

(2)Graduate of Ottone - In the Realm, it is said that the Great Schools produce the finest wizards and magi of every generation from their learned halls and towers. Reputedly, Sabeiha has graduated from Ottone, the mountain home of the Jewel Orrery amongst other things. While Sabeiha has no practical ability with magic, it is said that her knowledge of the theoretical rivals that of actual practitioners. Certainly when in her cups, she often gives lectures on Invoked Relativity.

Class Talents:

Counter-Attack
    Once per round when the escalation die is even and an enemy misses you with a natural odd melee attack roll, you can make a basic melee attack dealing half damage against that enemy as an free action. [The attack can't use any limited abilities or flexible attack maneuvers.]
    Adventurer Feat: Your Counter-Attack attack now deals full damage.

Deadeye Archer
    Your attacks with d8 ranged weapons [heavy crossbow, longbow] now deal d10 damage per level. Your attacks with d6 ranged weapons [light crossbow, shortbow] now deal d8 damage per level. In addition, your misses with basic ranged attacks deal damage equal to your level.

Extra Tough
    You start with nine recoveries instead of the usual eight.

Threatening
    Whenever an enemy attempts to disengage from you, it takes a penalty to its check equal to your Dexterity or Constitution modifier, whichever is higher. The penalty doesn't apply when you are stunned, grabbed, or otherwise incapable of making an opportunity check.

Skilled Intercept
    Once per round as a free action, roll a normal save (11+) to intercept an enemy who is moving to attack one of your nearby allies. You can pop free from one enemy to move and intercept the attack [if you are engaged with more than one enemy, the others can take opportunity attacks against you]. The moving enemy makes its attack with you as a target instead. If you're wearing heavy armor and the attack hits, you only take half damage.

Basic Attacks:

Kohlyat's Favor (Longsword)
    Melee
    Attack: +3 vs. AC
    Hit: 1d8 + 2
    MIss: 1

One-Eye's Bane (Longbow)
    Ranged
    Attack: +4 vs. AC
    Hit: 1d10 + 3
    Miss: -

Maneuvers/Powers::

Quick to Fight (Racial Power): At the start of every battle, roll initiative twice and choose the result you want.

Carve An Opening
    Flexible Melee Attack
    Triggering Roll: Any natural odd roll
    Effect: Your crit range with melee attacks expands by a cumulative +1 this battle until you score a melee critical hit. When you score a melee critical hit, your crit range drops back to normal.

Deadly Assault
    Flexible Melee or Ranged Attack
    Triggering Roll: Any natural even hit
    Effect: Reroll any 1s from your damage roll. You're stuck with the rerolls.

Grim Intent
    Flexible Melee Attack
    Triggering Roll: The next time you would deal miss damage with a melee attack, add a WEAPON die to that damage.

Facts in her Backgrounds can be reskinned based on where the game ends up, but I'm fine with either setting. Although I have to say, I've never played the Temple of Elemental Evil.

Kirindal on
    edited August 2014
    I'm fine with whatever adventure by the way.

Geth roll 1d6 for Gold

discrider on
    Geth roll 1d6x10 for Gold?

Gold?:
    1d6x10 0 [1d6x10=2]

:(
    That's a bad result all around.

• ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Geth roll 6#4d6k3 for A chance at greatness

Hm 14 10 12 13 10 16...those look like Wizarding stats to me.

A chance at greatness:
    6#4d6k3 6 # 14 [4d6k3=[6, 4, 4], 3] 10 [4d6k3=[5, 4, 1], 1] 12 [4d6k3=[6, 4, 2], 1] 13 [4d6k3=[6, 5, 2], 1] 10 [4d6k3=[5, 3, 2], 1] 16 [4d6k3=[6, 5, 5], 4]

Ardent on
    Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
    Geth roll 6#4d6k3 for stats so I can figure out what I want to play

stats so I can figure out what I want to play:
    6#4d6k3 6 # 8 [4d6k3=[5, 2, 1], 1] 13 [4d6k3=[6, 4, 3], 2] 10 [4d6k3=[6, 2, 2], 1] 12 [4d6k3=[5, 4, 3], 3] 13 [4d6k3=[6, 4, 3], 1] 10 [4d6k3=[5, 3, 2], 1]

Hah, this will be interesting.

• BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Geth roll 6#4d6k3 for enough stalling

wow that's very... average

enough stalling:
    6#4d6k3 6 # 12 [4d6k3=[5, 4, 3], 2] 12 [4d6k3=[6, 3, 3], 1] 7 [4d6k3=[3, 2, 2], 1] 11 [4d6k3=[5, 5, 1], 1] 12 [4d6k3=[6, 3, 3], 1] 10 [4d6k3=[5, 4, 1], 1]

Boozer on
    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Fultur Hammershadow
    1367547701061.jpg

Crunchy stuff:
    Dwarf (+2 Con) Wizard (+2 Int)
    Strength 12, Dexterity 14, Constitution 14, Wisdom 10, Intelligence 18, Charisma 10

HP 24, AC 13, PD 13, MD 13, Init +3, Recoveries 8, RD 1d6+2

Basic Attacks:
    Goblinkraka: staff, +2 vs. AC, 1d6+1
    Burrthumpa: hand crossbow, +3 vs. AC, 1d4+2

Iconic Relationships
    1 Positive - Dwarf King
    1 Positive - Prince of Shadows
    1 Negative - Archmage

One Unique Thing
    Fultur has no clue there's a prophecy involving a dwarf becoming the Archmage, but the current Archmage does. Fultur remains blissfully unaware that the Archmage has placed a bounty on his head and has basically forgotten about aspiring to become the Archmage himself.

Backgrounds
    Battle Arcanist of [mercenary company] +5
    Arcaneum-trained Artificer +3

Feats: Magic Missile (A).

That's Your Best Shot?: Racial power. Once per battle you can heal using a recovery after being hit by an enemy attack. If the escalation die is under 2 you get half the recovery healing. You must roll. Cannot be used if at 0.

Class Features: Cantrips, Cyclic Spells, Overworld Advantage, Ritual Magic

Talents:
    Abjuration: casting a daily wizard spell results in +4 AC bonus until the end of your next turn.
    High Arcana: You can memorize a daily wizard spell twice. You also gain the Counter-magic spell.
    Vance's Polysyllabic Verbalizations: Your incantation delivery can be loquacious, effusive, and decidedly non-standard. Using this talent requires an additional quick action. When utilized it allows non-standard effects to occur as a result of the spell being cast, regardless of whether or not the spell itself succeeds. Sometimes this has unfortunate results. In Fultur's specific case, they're all "secret Dwarven magic" and have appropriately dwarf-y names like Dorak Cragfragger's Defense of the Threshold for Hold portal (which summons simulacrums of Dwarven High Guards to defend the portal in question) or The six-day bender ender for sleep (which tends to also cause violent vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration, and vertigo even if it doesn't put the target to sleep).

Typical spells memorized:
    Hold portal: prevents adventurer-tier monsters from entering through a single portal for 10 minutes.
    2x Acid Arrow: Daily, +5 vs. PD, 4d10 acid damage and 5 ongoing on hit or 5 ongoing acid damage on miss and you regain the spell on quick rest.
    Color Spray: Cyclic, +5 vs. MD, 2d8 Psychic damage against 1d4 nearby grouped enemies, weakened if under 10hp
    Magic Missile: At-Will, automatic hit, 2d4 force damage. Fultur can split the dice in half and target two separate creatures.

Sometimes memorized:
    Counter-magic: Once per battle, +5 vs. MD, on success the nearby creature's spell is canceled and they lose the action they used for the spell. If it's a limited use spell and your natural roll is even, that spell is expended despite the cancellation.
    Shield: Recharge 11+ after battle, free action to cast on AC hit. The attacker must reroll.

Storytimes:
    Backstory:
    Fultur is a product of a dare taken to an extreme. When he was a wee lad, Fultur was told that no dwarf could ever be Archmage, because dwarves were terrible mages. Well, Fultur decided there and then that he'd prove that blowhard gnome wrong. He's since forgotten about that entirely, having shown an incredible aptitude for magic by dwarven standards he was sent off to the Arcaneum to learn enough about magic to be dangerous. Dangerous he was, as Fultur is also a strapping young man with no fear of close combat.

First he volunteered for the High Guard, and while this brought his Clan significant prestige (a High Guard mage!), Fultur found standing around next to portals hoping Orcs or Goblins or Dark Elves would show up exceedingly boring. He hungered for something greater. Armed with his arcane knowledge and a heavy steel-shod staff he calls Goblinkraka he headed off into the broader world, eventually signing on with a mercenary company. He tore across much of the inhabited world, slaying hundreds (or perhaps thousands) of orcs, goblins, bugbears, and other monstrous foes at the side of stout companions.

Fultur is an accomplished artisan, capable of creating items of beauty and fine detail. More surprising is that he's also quite artistic, although his style cleaves to Dwarven Realism more than other styles that have been popular in the Empire of late.

He's mastered Moradin's Flame, one of the pillars of the exceptional craftsmanship dwarves are famed for. He does not appear to treat it with the same sort of holy reverence most dwarves do. It's unclear whether he's cynical or pragmatic.

Loot, plunder, artifacts, etc:
    Mundane Gear:
    Assorted reagents in waterproofed pouches
    Waterproofed spell book
    Leather gear harness with loops for staff, crossbow and quiver, and leather traveling pack (dyed green)
    Dwarven pebble armor (light armor; silvery-white)
    Winter cloak (white)
    Goblinkraka, a steel-shod staff carved with intricate runes
    Burrthumpa, a hand crossbow with 20 blunt-tipped bolts
    25 gold

Gained this scene:
    25+4 gold

Ardent on
    Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
    @dracil and @boozer. If you guys want to either try one re-roll or just use 28-point buy, I would be fine with that. I think you may need at least one 14 if we end up choosing RttToEE.

Ok, I'll just do a 28 point buy then. It was interesting in how average it was (was hoping for more variance so the character would be more interesting).

I'll have something up before the weekend is up. Work is heavy right now and sleep is so nice.

Geth roll 6#4d6k3 for stats!

stats!:
    6#4d6k3 6 # 9 [4d6k3=[6, 2, 1], 1] 10 [4d6k3=[5, 3, 2], 1] 16 [4d6k3=[6, 6, 4], 1] 16 [4d6k3=[6, 5, 5], 3] 9 [4d6k3=[4, 4, 1], 1] 14 [4d6k3=[6, 4, 4], 3]

Hmmm....

I want to play this somehow...

x-men-12.jpg

Geth roll 1d6

1d6 4 [1d6=4]

Ok, so this is Logrim The Wolve'rüne

I'm cool with the Temple of Elemental Evil as I've been playing Skyrim and would like to see something else. Also, my Damage roll is 1d4+4 not d8 but that sheet has weapons linked to class so I can't change it without messing up the code.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Geth roll 6#4d6k3 for stats.

Let's give this a try.

Edit: Ha ha ha. Geth why don't you just tell me to not to try?

stats.Let's give this a try:
    6#4d6k3 6 # 9 [4d6k3=[4, 4, 1], 1] 5 [4d6k3=[2, 2, 1], 1] 13 [4d6k3=[6, 5, 2], 2] 10 [4d6k3=[4, 4, 2], 2] 11 [4d6k3=[6, 3, 2], 1] 11 [4d6k3=[6, 3, 2], 1]

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I present to the great and splendiferous relief of your all consuming anticpatatory consertanation Professor Archibald Granodiorite Lithographer.
    Archibald.png
    He patiently awaits your fulsome praise and adulation.
    Picture should be a bit more haughty and not so grubby but Dwarven Wizards have to take what they can get.

Also do note this character will be annoying to the other characters. I am not aiming to be annoying to the other players or DM. I will of course be open to OCC request or notice that you'd like me to tone it back a bit. As a sort of Mr Magoo-esque character it should be easy for me to come up with selfish and grandiose reasons to perform team orientated actions.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    @Grunt's Ghosts - I am fine with tying weapons to class, especially if we roll through Temple of Elemental Evil. As a barbarian with two weapons, go ahead and consider your claws a light 2H weapon, so you can use 1d8 for dmg. I would say to use the martial dmg., but I think inability to be disarmed, ability to hide weapons, and close quarter ability (easier to use to cut out of a tight jam) give enough advantage to lose a die.

@DevoutlyApathetic‌ - Like I told dracil and boozer, Temple of Elemental Evil may require at least one natural 14 for a main stat. Feel free to try one re-roll for the good professor or use a 28-point buy.

edited October 2014
    Vanminar Tel’Azahd
    oyx6l1iumzzd.jpg
    Class: Sorcerer [+2 CHA]
    Race: Half- Elf [+2 CON]
    Level: 1

Abilities: Strength 8 (-1), Dexterity 14 (+2), Constitution 16 (+3), Wisdom 8 (-1), Intelligence 14 (+2), Charisma 18 (+4)

HP/Defenses/etc: HP: 27/27; Recoveries: 7/8 [1d6 + 3]
    AC: 15 PD: 14 MD: 13
    Initiative: +3

Gear:
    Starting - Shortsword, strange wand, thieves' tools, spellnotebook
    Purchased - daggers x 4 (4gp), grappling hook w elven rope (7gp), pipe w/ pipeweed (1gp), small mirror (2gp), large tent (5gp), wineskin w/ elven wine (1gp),  two healing potions (adventurer) , two +1 Runes 
    66 gold

Basic Attacks:
    Melee: +0 vs AC, 1d6 - 1 dmg, 1 on miss.
    Ranged: +3 vs AC, 1d4+ 2 dmg

One Unique Thing: Van is the bastard child of Irona the Mad, an Elven Witch. She claims his father is an 'Interdimensional explorer' . The fact that Van thinks of magic in technobabble is probably just a coincidence.

Icon Relationships:
    Prince of Shadows: Positive, 1
    Elf Queen: Conflicted, 1
    Archmage: Conflicted, 1

Backgrounds:
    2 - Raised by the Forest -
    Left largely to his own devices as a child, Van spent weeks at a time living off of the land. Still, he was always careful to collect the healing herbs, poisonous fungi, and other ingredients his mother treasured before he returned.

3 - Expelled from the Arcanum for (alleged) Spell Theft -
    Van leapt at the chance to leave the hermetic life of his mother's care, but hadn't yet learned to respect the ideas of 'studies' or 'property' . He's still working on it.

5 - Silver-tongued treasure hunter -
    Van's childhood has given him a taste for creature comforts and company. His natural aptitude for magic and charm have kept his life exciting, but he's still poorer and lonelier than he had expected.

Racial Power: Surprising - Once per battle, subtract one from the natural result of one of your own d20 rolls.

Class Features: Access to Wizardry, Dancing Lights, and Gather Power. Breath weapon, chain, and random energy are keywords used in sorcerer spells.

Roll (d6) Gather Power Effect
    1-2 You gain a +1 bonus to AC until the start of your next turn.
    3-4 Deal damage equal to your level to all nearby staggered enemies.
    5-6 Deal damage equal to your level to one nearby enemy.

Talents:

Spell Fist -
    You gain a +2 bonus to AC.
    You can use ranged spells while engaged with enemies without taking opportunity attacks.
    You use your Constitution modifier instead of your Charisma modifier to determine the damage you add to all your sorcerer spells.

Arcane Heritage -
    You gain a +2 bonus to a background that involves or suggests magical knowledge or talent, up to your normal maximum background point limit.
    You can also use one of your sorcerer spell choices to choose any wizard spell of the same level. You get only one such equal-level wizard spell at a time; all others have to be purchased using the 2-level penalty in the Access to Wizardry class feature.

Fey Heritage -
    One battle per day, when you roll initiative, you can choose to invoke your Fey Heritage and gain the racial power of one the elven races in addition to your own racial power. Roll on the table below. If you roll your own race's power, you gain the half-elf's surprising racial power instead.

Roll (d6) Fey Heritage Racial Power
    1-2 Cruel (drow)
    3-4 Highblood teleport (high elf)
    5-6 Elven grace (wood elf)

Feats:
    Arcane Heritage - Use your Charisma as the attack ability for the wizard spell you choose with your Arcane Heritage talent.
    Lightning Fork - Once per battle, you can reroll one of your lightning fork attacks rolls.

Typically Prepared Spells (4):
    Breath of the White - Daily, 1d2 nearby enemies in a group, +5 vs. PD, 3d6 + 3 cold damage on miss half damage,
    Breath Weapon: For the rest of the battle, roll a d20 at the start of each of your turns. On a 16+, you can use breath of the white dragon that turn if you wish.

Lightning fork - Recharge 16+, One nearby enemy, +5 vs. PD, 3d6 + 3 lightning damage on miss half damage,
    Chain spell: Each time you make a natural even attack roll, you can attack a different target with the spell.

Scorching Ray - At-Will, One nearby enemy, +5 vs. PD, 1d6 + 3 fire damage and if the natural attack roll is even, the target also takes 1d8 ongoing fire damage on miss 1 damage.

Color Spray - Cyclic, 1d4 nearby enemies in a group, +5 vs. PD, 2d8 psychic damage, and if the target has 10 hp or fewer after the damage, it is weakened until the end of your next turn.

Boozer on
    You should have at least a +1 with melee as its weapon+modifier+level

Same with AC/PD/MD.

Geth roll 1d6 for Gold

I'm also fine with either adventure.

GoldI'm also fine with either adventure:
    1d6 5 [1d6=5]

Also: I was reflavoring the claws as dual wielding daggers at 1d4 and use the dual wielding rules on page 168. But I'll take a d8 weapon die!

You should have at least a +1 with melee as its weapon+modifier+level

Same with AC/PD/MD.
    I thought my melee was at 0 because my strength modifier is -1