As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

iPhOWNED pt 2

Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
The iPhone was "unlocked" by a 17-year old hacker a little while ago, enabling the iPhone to be used with wireless carriers other than AT&T (among other things), but now, Apple's latest software update is bricking all hacked iPhones. It's also been reported to be deleting important information on non-hacked iPhones.
The BBC wrote:
Apple iPhone warning proves true

An Apple software update is disabling iPhones that have been unlocked by owners who wanted to choose which mobile network to use.

Earlier this week Apple said a planned update would leave the device "permanently inoperable".

Thousands of iPhone owners hacked their expensive gadget in order to unlock it for use with other mobile carriers and to run a host of unsupported programs.

There are also reports of the update causing issues with unaltered iPhones.

On Monday Apple issued a statement in which it said many of the unauthorised iPhone unlocking programs caused "irreparable damage" to the device's software.

The company said this would "likely result in the modified iPhone becoming permanently inoperable when a future Apple-supplied iPhone software update is installed".

That warning has now proved correct as many owners are reporting their phones no longer work following installation of the update.

Apple requires iPhone owners to take out a lengthy contract with AT&T in the United States but there are a number of programs on the net that unlock the device for use with other networks.

Some owners are reporting on technology blogs and Apple's own forums that the update is deleting contacts information, as well as photos and music, on iPhones that have not been modified in any way.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7017660.stm

Marty81 on

• Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Hmm...I can't imagine why anyone would buy one of these things now.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Why?

Seriously.

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    How does this not look bad for apple?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    For real. Apple is doing absolutely nothing for it's indy, nice-guy image right now. This is some spectacularly evil corporation shit.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I doubt it's all Apples doings. There's probably some clause in their AT&T contract saying that they guarantee the security and unhackability of the iPhone and they have no choice but to act on it.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Apparently Apple warned on Monday that hacked iPhones might not work anymore soon.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7011772.stm

The latest update enables users to purchase music from the iTunes store with a button on the iPhone.

Can you turn updates off?

Marty81 on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    ... has all the clout and good will they've garnered through Ipod's finally gone to their heads?

Why in god's name are they shitting all over their user base like this? Even if there are valid business reasons that allowing such freedom might be a bad idea, this kind of negative publicity will hurt.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    jedijzjedijz Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    First rule of hacked software: Don't install official updates.

jedijz on
    Goomba wrote: »
    It is no easy task winning a 1v3. You must jump many a hurdle, bettering three armies, the smallest.

Aye, no mere man may win an uphill battle against thrice your men, it takes a courageous heart and will that makes steel look like copper. When you are that, then, and only then, may you win a 1v3.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/BlindProphet
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Makes you wonder what kind of nasty shit they would unleased if Macs were more of a dominant pc platform. Or perhaps this was to protect whatever contract they have with Atat? Either way this is a publicity nightmare.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Fandyien wrote: »
    For real. Apple is doing absolutely nothing for it's indy, nice-guy image right now. This is some spectacularly evil corporation shit.

The only way this would be sort of "acceptable" would be if they promised AT&T that they would protect the exclusivity of the iphone.

Still really dickish on them.

(Please, for the love of god apple, do NOT go down the Sony/PSP route with this

ronzo on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It's not as bad as they say, I don't think any iPhones have been bricked with an unlock, but they do become unusable for calling at the moment, until it's re-hacked.

Honestly, all I care about is using the third party apps, and the Gizmodo info I saw yesterday tested out unlocking and third party apps on the iPhone, updating them without reverting them first. I wonder if there'll be a way to totally remove the apps, update, and then put the apps back on.

As unfortunate as this all is, I still cannot find any way to get a new pda/smartphone and mp3 player, that I like, that has the features I want for as much or less than the iPhone. I've got a great family plan deal with AT&T now, so I'd likely stay with them anyways, and other phones will have more expensive data plans, and I'm not going to find a satisfactory mp3 player for anything less than $150 to $200.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Im amazed that them forcing a long term contrract with AT&T on them isn't considered some form of monopoly or coercion to not be able to use your very expensive hardware for your own purposes.

Oh and rack up 800 dollar bills by checking your email.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    jedijz wrote: »
    First rule of hacked software: Don't install official updates.

It depends on the nature of the hack, really. And honestly, I don't know if you can turn off official updates on a hacked iPhone (does anyone know?). Some of its features are notoriously difficult to change.

Marty81 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Oh and rack up 800 dollar bills by checking your email.

By checking your email, all the time, because you don't think to actually turn off the phone, in a foreign country.

Septus on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    One reason I am glad I am technologically backwards and don't have an mp3 player and only use my cell phone to make calls.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Apple really is a far, far, far more evil corporation than Microsoft has ever been.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Apple has been going down that path ever since they released the first Ipod.

I'd much rather work with Microsoft at this stage of the game.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Microsoft always seemed to me like negligently evil. Like the giant who crushes a village because he didn't notice it was there. I guess I just don't ascribe to them the kind of calculating evil others do.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Preacher wrote: »
    Microsoft always seemed to me like negligently evil. Like the giant who crushes a village because he didn't notice it was there. I guess I just don't ascribe to them the kind of calculating evil others do.

Bundling a media player and browser with your proprietary operating system isn't much evil compared to bricking a 400 dollar phone because people dont like your shit on it.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Bundling a media player and browser with your proprietary operating system isn't much evil compared to bricking a 400 dollar phone because people dont like your shit on it.

It's funny because I bet hardly a single person on this entire forum uses the bundled media player or browser for windows.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Inquisitor wrote: »

It's funny because I bet hardly a single person on this entire forum uses the bundled media player or browser for windows.

I do. I'm using them both right now.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I bet the fees and such for getting out of a contract with AT&T are pretty bad, too.

Javen on
  • Options
    BoilerbirdBoilerbird Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Apple has been going down that path ever since they released the first Ipod.

I'd much rather work with Microsoft at this stage of the game.

Besides their choice of bedfellows, how is this any more evil, really, than only allowing the Mac OS on Apple hardware? Isn't it just two sides of the same coin? Apple has always really, really likes their proprietary, self-contained systems, and that's exactly the setup they've got going with the iPhone and Big Evil AT&T.

Boilerbird on
    "The Lord of Murder shall perish. But in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos will be sown from their passage."
    -So sayeth the wise Alaundo

Mario Kart friend code: 227.692.747.075
    Tetris friend code: 742.696.731.030
    Pokemon code: 2921 5590 8486
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 0602-5937-3565
  • Options
    edited September 2007

I do. I'm using them both right now.

Yeah I used IE and windows media player, though I also keep good internet security and keep my shit up to date.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You'd think they would just disable the hack. To intentionally brick a device can lead to (as we have just seen) updates fucking up people who didn't do anything.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm all for the "hack-a-day" mentality. I have no problems with it. Having said that..

It might be your stuff, that you bought, but it's still someone else's hardware and software design, they said not to change it, someone did, and they got caught. I'm all for the apple and microsoft (original xbox) method of bricking modded stuff. It's better than taking some sixteen year old to court or trying to sue them. ::shrug:: I kind of like the idea that some kid hacks an xbox or iphone, and some really well paid hacker for microsoft or apple says "nope, nice try though" and bricks your stuff. It's kind of a "we can fight dirty too" approach.

Also, everyone rushes to blame apple and say they're becoming evil, but I'm fairly sure this was an AT&T contract thing, because last I heard apple was already in the works to get rid of AT&T exclusivity on the next update.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Boilerbird wrote: »

Besides their choice of bedfellows, how is this any more evil, really, than only allowing the Mac OS on Apple hardware? Isn't it just two sides of the same coin? Apple has always really, really likes their proprietary, self-contained systems, and that's exactly the setup they've got going with the iPhone and Big Evil AT&T.

It really isn't any worse. The problem is that far more people want an iPhone than the stereotypical "Mac user" population.

So while plenty of people would defend a Mac requiring proprietary hardware as "ensuring quality and performance" or just being "easier for the end user", it really didn't impact John Q Consumer.

Bricking the iPhone impacts a whole lot more people and is more of a public situation.

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    FeintFeint Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This really isn't Apples decision. I can only imagine the parameters of the lenghtly contract with AT&T demanding this level of harsh anti-piracy.

Keep in mind the phone has an i in front of it, literally and metaphorically making the actions and support of the phone up to the face of apple, but that does not mean they are pulling any strings.

Just like buying from the lowest bidder, there are similar pitfalls to selling with the highest bidder.

Feint on
    fixedsig.gif
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Boilerbird wrote: »

It really isn't any worse. The problem is that far more people want an iPhone than the stereotypical "Mac user" population.

So while plenty of people would defend a Mac requiring proprietary hardware as "ensuring quality and performance" or just being "easier for the end user", it really didn't impact John Q Consumer.

Bricking the iPhone impacts a whole lot more people and is more of a public situation.

Not really. Despite the prevalent popularity of iPhone hacks on the internet (no doubt caused by the fact that it's a high profile device), John Q Consumer probably isn't running installer.app or unlocking his phone. Most people bought it to be an easy to use device with a pretty interface for the stock software and aren't using anything past that, thus this update (and all updates from Apple) won't affect them.

And if you're a tech-savvy person, what business do you have installing the official update to begin with? You know better than that.

Edit: English now.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    PatboyX wrote: »
    You'd think they would just disable the hack. To intentionally brick a device can lead to (as we have just seen) updates fucking up people who didn't do anything.

Read the Gizmodo updates on it. Unless I missed something, none of them were actually bricked. Apple disabled the unlock and(terribly) keeps the phones(until the hackers get around this) from re-activating for phone use, but the device continues to work for all other features I believe.

Septus on
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Oh, I never said anything about how many people it would impact, just that it's a much more public situation.

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    JLM-AWPJLM-AWP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Apple really is a far, far, far more evil corporation than Microsoft has ever been.

I really hope this is sarcasm. They are doing what they have to to keep a contract with AT&T, and thus, stay competitive. I have no idea why people are saying "I am mad because Apple is preventing me from doing something I probably shouldn't have done in the first place." We all knew that the iPod Touch was coming out, yet people went ahead and bought an iPhone anyway, hoping to hack it. Apple should not be responsible for risks that their customers take, especially when the product would work fantastically if they would use it the way they meant to be used.

I'm not a fanboy (much), but I couldn't be happier (except for Flash) with my iPhone. So $100 store credit and a warning to hackers and users that modded iphones will have issues ISN'T a good thing? Not many companies would give a warning.

Hell, Microsoft just put a stealth update through for XP that prevents repair of the OS. Possibly to drive sales of a certain other OS?

EDIT: I am aware that people are unlocking not just to use the iPod and other functions, but to use it on other networks as well. Why is this such a big deal with the iPhone in particular? Haven't a BUNCH of phones been exclusive to certain network?

JLM-AWP on
  • Options
    CymoroCymoro Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Sony++

Just like with the PSP, newer updates disable certain user wants. Except now it bricks it.

Cymoro on
    i am perpetual, i make the country clean
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Ronen wrote: »
    And if you're a tech-savvy person, what business do you have installing the official update to begin with?
    Because the initial launch product was somewhat broken, and this update included important fixes.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, Microsoft also said that two games released on PC(Shadowrun and Halo 2) would only work on Vista with DX9, presumably to boost Vista sales, and I think that's been proven false.

I mean, I'm pissed at Apple, but I don't yet think it's a huge deal, and Microsoft's no fluffy bunny.

Septus on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    JLM-AWP wrote: »
    Hell, Microsoft just put a stealth update through for XP that prevents repair of the OS. Possibly to drive sales of a certain other OS?

Eh?

Marty81 on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Septus wrote: »
    Yeah, Microsoft also said that two games released on PC(Shadowrun and Halo 2) would only work on Vista with DX9, presumably to boost Vista sales, and I think that's been proven false.

I mean, I'm pissed at Apple, but I don't yet think it's a huge deal, and Microsoft's no fluffy bunny.

Indeed, both Halo 2 and Shadowrun will run on XP, it's just not officially supported (which I am 100% convinced is solely to help promote vista.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Blah, I may have been wrong earlier. I'm not sure about just using the Installer.app, but at least one of the two unlocking methods sends you back to activation, not as in you can't use it as a phone, but can't use it at all without the activation through iTunes, which you can't do.

Meh, I'm gonna wait to see how this works, and in the meantime hopefully(but pessimistically) find both a phone and mp3 player that I like that won't cost me even more.

Septus on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    JLM-AWP wrote: »

EDIT: I am aware that people are unlocking not just to use the iPod and other functions, but to use it on other networks as well. Why is this such a big deal with the iPhone in particular? Haven't a BUNCH of phones been exclusive to certain network?
    Most phones are subsidized via contract. Like, you pay less for the phone than it costs to make in exchange for agreeing to use the service for two years. Apple is pulling down a huge profit on each iphone because there is no subsidy.

In addition, you can unlock pretty much any GSM device. you just need to know how to be able to do it. The US Copyright Office has put forth a specific exemption to the DMCA to allow everyone to unlock their cell phones without fear of legal action. No other company is bricking or deactivating phones that have been unlocked.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    We all knew that the iPod Touch was coming out, yet people went ahead and bought an iPhone anyway, hoping to hack it.
    Well there are, you know, all those people who bought iPhones before the iPod touch was announced.

TubularLuggage on