As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Party [Chat]

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    I like how the default reaction to saying absolutely repugnant shit is to claim you're being taken out of context

as though there's any context where saying "it's only rape if they remember" is an okay thing

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Though one of my worst nightmares is being called in to a room and being forced to sit down and try and explain some of the things I've written on this forum

since that would just be hours of me mewling "c-context..."

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I wish i was free to sit in chain coffee shops pretending to be writing a novel

Come now, Mojo

Surely I'm living proof that you can do whatever you want, really
    Okay, I also want to be able to buy coffee though. Rather than just camp in a corner brawling with the barristas.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    I should really go to bed

but I don't want to do any of the things I'll have to do when I get up

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    I like how the default reaction to saying absolutely repugnant shit is to claim you're being taken out of context

as though there's any context where saying "it's only rape if they remember" is an okay thing

I thought of a context: "...but in the case that they cannot, it's an even more serious crime superrape."

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    it's late enough where this video is making me laugh hysterically

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxi7JRJrod4

• evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    old men are the future

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

edited September 2014
    we will go in and go in and go in like the US Marshall and his 3 daughters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uOA3IqJDdY

when the toilet started giving planescape torment dialogue I lost it

override367 on
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    I may as well start using coke

why would somebody make this?!

I have never seen any footage of that game past that port

No idea why it's so beloved

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    That's terror.

rRwz9.gif
    PlaneScape Torment Deus Ex would be great.

edited September 2014
    Toilet: I shall wait for you in death's halls my love

like they seem to have put a lot of work into making Deus Ex utterly insane, a lot of the dialogue is seamless

"Gunther is in the room up ahead, remember a headshot is a lethal takedown"

as he heads to the break room of UNATCO

override367 on
    Wash wrote: »

Is the latter a burn or a question?

This is why

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09vVF-Hvykg

• HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Hello party people!
    Today is GotG day!

Apothe0sis wrote: »

Question. Like, I was with the sequel up until the ending. That was a pretty cool game, I should revisit it someday and actually finish it (and not do a non-lethal run). But no one's ever shown or explained to me why Deus Ex is so great.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    why would somebody make this?!

I think it was manufactured by the government.

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Hello party people!
    Today is GotG day!
    Yesterday was supposed to be GotG day for me, but fully half of the group of 6 flaked in the last 2 days so now we're looking for a new date.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    edited September 2014

Question. Like, I was with the sequel up until the ending. That was a pretty cool game, I should revisit it someday and actually finish it (and not do a non-lethal run). But no one's ever shown or explained to me why Deus Ex is so great.

intricate well thought out plot and characters with multiple paths and outcomes, consequences and tough choices

along with lots of ways to do your missions, tons of environmental flavor, etc

good conversations and concepts and whatnot, Deus Ex 2 is a pale shadow of Deus Ex, hardly worthy of sharing the name

Human Revolution is a worthy prequel with a crap ending

override367 on
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Hello party people!
    Today is GotG day!
    Yesterday was supposed to be GotG day for me, but fully half of the group of 6 flaked in the last 2 days so now we're looking for a new date.

Yeah, I had some flakies as well, but we have a robust group of seven, so it's a go.

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    There’s a joke about a planet full of people who believe in anti-induction: if the sun has risen every day in the past, then today, we should expect that it won’t. As a result, these people are all starving and living in poverty. Someone visits the planet and tells them, “Hey, why are you still using this anti-induction philosophy? You’re living in horrible poverty!” They answer, “Well, it never worked before.”

aRkpc.gif
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I never played Deus Ex at the time and only scratched the surface much, much later, but the free-form approach to progress (stealth things, shoot first, etc) coupled with the malleability of the story progress and the outcomes seemed to be pretty important in game design. Here's a mission, approach it in one of several ways, each of them valid and fully available, the outcome might be one of several things, etc.

Games still struggle to offer multiple ways of achieving something that aren't just multiple ways of killing whoever is in your way.

I found alternate options in Deus Ex over a decade after buying it and on like the ninth playthrough

"oh shit I didn't have to kill that guy?" "I could have killed this guy here?!" "This guy could've survived" "I could have killed anna navarra before she killed the head of NSF?" etc

The sequel (Invisible War) is pretty asstastic.

The original was great because it offered an unprecedented number of options for tackling a particular level - there were multiple points of entry, hard and soft targets, multiple strategies depending on play style. It could acknowledge and reward you for doing things differently.

It had a complex branching story and was full of lots of exciting stuff - espionage, conspiracy, social commentary, power, morals and ethics!

It did loads of things really well and was in some ways building off of System Shock 2 and laid a lot of the ground work for modern games like BioShock or Dishonoured.

You can do most of Deus Ex without killing anybody, which is great when you realize the bad guys aren't the bad guys

Deus Ex and Vampire Bloodlines are very close in terms of appeal

And Alpha Protocol also owes a lot to Deus Ex.

How could I forget that?

edited September 2014
    I kind of hope the Human Rev guys get to make another Deus Ex game, their only real failure was the boss fights all being tank and spank standard shooter fair considering you can complete the rest of the game by killing everything with a vending machine

Also HR's trailer hyped me more than anything has ever hyped me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhqYBKZRg5I

override367 on
    Deus Ex's story does not branch. Like at all.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

Human Revolution's boss fights aren't standard shooter stuff, they're stand there and laugh while you zap the boss 30 times with a stungun.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    The four standard approaches are:

Force (physical intimidation, murder)
    Evasion (stealth, breaking and entering, thievery)
    Conversation (again physical intimidation, also charm, bribery, reasoning)
    Research (usually hacking, sometimes actual research)

Most of the best games have all four approaches available; the absolute best have all 4 equally available throughout the game.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
    evilbob wrote: »

Braid then? You can do x or y or z which changes the story even if you end up at the same narrative place.

And there are multiple endings.

edited September 2014

well no, the main story always goes to the same places in the same order and you arrive at the same 3 endings

that doesn't mean there aren't a lot of branches off of the main story that you care about, things like Paul surviving. I mean it doesn't have "meaningful choices" in the vein of Witcher 2 where the entire middle half of the game is completely different if you do something different, but the choices in the game certainly felt meaningful, and you see the results of a lot of them during the course of the game

but back on my fanwanking over HR, Human Revolution actually is a fantastic prequel because it makes Deus Ex better

like you start in Deus Ex and Anna and Gunther talking about the glory days, and how everyone talks about their past as unstoppable killing machines even though they are presented to JC as obsolete and beneath him technologically

and then you play Human Revolution and see how fucking powerful those mech soldiers are, they're gods compared to normal humans, and that they tell you that as a nano augmented human your natural abilities will surpass what mechs can do, without giving up your humanity? It's great

I really, really want them to do a remake of Deus Ex 1 in their own style

override367 on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

intricate well thought out plot and characters with multiple paths and outcomes, consequences and tough choices

along with lots of ways to do your missions, tons of environmental flavor, etc

good conversations and concepts and whatnot, Deus Ex 2 is a pale shadow of Deus Ex, hardly worthy of sharing the name

Human Revolution is a worthy prequel with a crap ending

@Wash I should add that while I really like HR and think it is a well-made game in its own right that added some cool and interesting ideas of its own to the mix, a huge part of what made the original DX great that very few games since have replicated was the sheer size of the mission areas. Several square blocks of New York, Paris, and Hong Kong to explore as you wanted, fully populated with NPCs and secrets to discover.

The combat areas, like a level set in LaGuardia Airport, were vast, sometimes, almost as much as a square mile in size, and the interior and exteriors were all part of the same map. So where HR gave you choices that were kind of pre-ordained - you could take the Shooting Choice and kill people or take the Stealth Choice and avoid them with an airvent - the size of the original gave you flexibility. You could make noises to draw guards out of guard shacks into dark corners of the parking lot, or come in from the roof, or just walk straight past almost all the non-mission critical areas and just beeline for the most important thing in the level (although obv you'd be missing some bonus gear, weapons, xp, and so forth if you did this).

The game had a genuinely complicated story that wasn't spoonfed to you - to really understand every aspect of what was going on took a lot of exploration, hacking into emails, and paying attention to ambient conversations. The effect of this is somewhat muffled in 2014 by the voice acting, which is sometimes very great but is often of the caliber of most video games of the late 90s/early 00s, but if you were to remake DX with new graphics and a new voice cast and the same script it would quickly be apparent how progressive and intelligent the writing really was. It's also pleasing to me because it's very rigorously science-fictional; the writers did their history homework, they did their biology, they did their computers, and the sci-fi technologies presented all play fair within the general conceits of the setting, and there's a lot of real-world knowledge and literacy on display; people in the game talk about Robert Anton Wilson and Stanislaw Lem and Kant and there's an ongoing subplot with a pastiche of a modern-day detective thriller novel. So many video games bug me because they feel like they were written by people who only play video games. DX doesn't.

I also think it creates a very palpable sense of paranoia. HR did this a bit, too, but kind of let that element dissipate in the second half of the game. I wrote about this recently, but I think the secret to making players feel paranoid is, paradoxically, by letting them transgress on other people. In both DX and HR, there are parts of the game where you can break into people's apartments and root through their stuff and hack their emails and steal their candy bars and just generally be a bit creepy if you want to. And some of these peopel are totally ordinary and then randomly one guy in the apartment building will have, like, laser tripmines guarding a closet full of military assault weapons. And you're like "WTF? Who is this person? What are they hiding? Why is someone with enough guns to outfit a regiment living in a dingy tower block?" Being an invisible stealth badass feels great at first, but then peeking into people's secrets makes you wonder who else might be hiding something, and it makes you realize how vulnerable you are.

rRwz9.gif
    Human Revolution's boss fights aren't standard shooter stuff, they're stand there and laugh while you zap the boss 30 times with a stungun.

spray boss with sex musk360-degree bomb spread

rRwz9.gif
    But people! It's your fault for having secrets! See, it's so easy.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »

Most of the best games have all four approaches available; the absolute best have all 4 equally available throughout the game.

What game lets you research your way through?

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    I kind of hope the Human Rev guys get to make another Deus Ex game, their only real failure was the boss fights all being tank and spank standard shooter fair considering you can complete the rest of the game by killing everything with a vending machine

Also HR's trailer hyped me more than anything has ever hyped me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhqYBKZRg5I

The HR cinematic trailer is probably my favorite video game trailer ever. I can't think of a better one off the top of my head. Mass Effect 2 and 3's come close I guess.

also @override367‌ they are totally making an HR next-gen sequel.

Also, I bought DX: The Fall a couple of months ago and while shooters are hard for me to play with my eyes as they are, it seems like good HR fun for only ten bux.

rRwz9.gif
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Bethryn wrote: »

What game lets you research your way through?

Academia!

This discussion has been closed.