As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BattleTech] The Clan Wait-vasion

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    {More LOLHUGE pics ahead!}

Right, so today's work is just completely fucked. Let's talk about more entertaining things, shall we?

Part 3 - Da Grindah!

The Grinder is an ongoing Battletech game that starts at the beginning of each day and runs until there's no players, or there's no session times left. Typically this means that a Grinder will run each day from 8 AM to 8 PM or later, and players filter in and out as the day goes on. It's divided into two hour sessions, but buy enough tickets and you could play the whole day through.

Oh, and it's played on a map that's at least eight feet long by four feet wide. Seriously, frigging, huge. They're sourced from http://mapmasterbattlemaps.com/; I'm thinking the same as we talked about earlier in the thread.

Saturday morning, 8 AM, and it's time to throw down for this MechWarrior. Now you don't just get to jump in with an Atlas in a Grinder; you have to work for it. If you've never played you're given a tracking card and randomly roll for a Light mech. When you make a kill it gives you the option to move up a weight category with your next mech. So if you want that XXXL fatty you'll need to land a kill in a light, then in a medium, then in a heavy before you get to graduate to 100-ton nirvana. Oh, and when your mech is destroyed? Grab a fresh ride and dive right back into the ongoing slaughter. It's a free-for-all, get to the killin'.

Now, to preface: a couple of guys at our table rolled for balls and ended up in Urbanmechs! I landed in a Firestarter (yuuuuuuus), and a gal across the table already had a kill from a previous session and started in a Wolverine. A Jenner and two other lights rounded out the field. We rolled for random start locations on a wide-open desert mesa map, and prepared to throw down.

Turns 1-4: My spawn placed me a looooong way from the action, at a far corner of the map. But my target was clear: an Urbanmech dropped in the middle of the map, my closest target. I urged my Firestarter forward, half-jumping, half-running. The faster I got there, the quicker I could get to exploiting its terrible, terrible movement capabilities.
    IMG_20140816_101111196.jpg

Turn 5: The skirmish had started without me! By the time my 'Mech got into it, the weapons fire was thick. A mess started to coalesce around the Urbanmech in my sights, with the Wolverine advancing on it along with the Jenner and another nearby light 'Mech. When I landed in, most "Mechs had superficial or worse damage. Fortunately, the Wolverine drew the attention of the other lights, leaving the Urbie and me to dance. Shots got traded, my Medium Lasers, Machine Guns, and Flamers against the Gunnery 2(!) Autocannon/10 on the Urbie. That Autocannon, unf.
    IMG_20140816_105336734.jpg
    IMG_20140816_105359777.jpg

Unfortunately, the exchange didn't work out well for my poor Firestarter. The Urbie's AC/10 tore into the left leg of my 'Mech, blowing both the Foot and Lower Leg actuators! I couldn't manage to keep the 'Mech upright, and it hit the ground. Phtoooey. The Wolverine had similar problems, getting knocked down in short order.
    IMG_20140816_110044681.jpg

Turn 6: At a run, I urged my Firestarter back to its feet...success! The Urbanmech pilot was caught off-guard by my expert piloting skills, and I managed to maneuver to his left side at point-blank range to begin dropping the hammer. Lasers, ballistics, and flamers came out to play, ripping into the Urbie's armor. It turns out, an Urbanmech is really well armored for its size...
    Meanwhile, the Wolverine-plus-Lights conga line continued to roil, and shots rang out from behind the hill.
    IMG_20140816_110911841.jpg

And then another shot rang out from the Urbie's AC/10...taking my left leg with it. Down goes the Firestarter!

Turn 7: Now I'm in trouble. Without a leg, I'm not even going to bother standing; the two-hour mark is coming up, and my time is running short. I propped my Firestarter up with a ragged arm, and pointed the lone Medium Laser on the other at the Urbie. More damage, but no kill-shot. The Urbanmech moved in for the kill, but its cannon shot hit dirt. The Wolverine's pilot, sensing weakness, pushed out of the mosh pit and lined up its shots on me. A moment later, my entire left side was missing armor.
    IMG_20140816_113152387.jpg

Turn 8: Now I'm in real trouble. The Wolverine pilot decided to simply crush my Firestarter under the bulk of her mech, declaring a Death From Above! The Urbie backs off and focuses on the jumping medium 'Mech, but whiffs the shot. My Firestarter, hoping for a Hail Mary shot, props itself up and fires a lone Medium Laser toward the flying Wolverine.....and scratches some paint on its left arm. Rats.
    IMG_20140816_114148330.jpg

The Wolverine crashes down on my Firestarter, crushing its entire left side and knocking the last of my center torso armor free. Seeing the writing on the wall, I pull the Eject handle and brace for a short rocket-powered flight off-map.

All in all, a fun time, but no kills for me. Typical!

Bonus Eye Candy!
    A fantastic coordinated army. Holy. Crap.
    IMG_20140814_195627609_HDR.jpg

So, I frequented CGL's booth in the hall. They had four different boxes (!) of Lance Packs for sale. It took all my willpower not to drop eighty bucks right there on the spot, on several occasions. The doubling-up of the Intro box figs really puts a kink into the opportunity cost calculation here. But the figs, oh my the figs, they are so incredibly nice looking. The same quality from the Intro Box figs carried into these reinforcements, they are seriously crisp and fantastic looking.
    IMG_20140815_102821782.jpg

And that wraps up my Gen Con as far as the stompy bots go (possibly more to tell about the Battletech: Firestorm pods in the MWO thread, we'll see if I can gather my thoughts enough). A good time, all around. I heartily endorse a trip to the big Con if you can manage it.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • firewulffirewulf Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    I live between Chicago and Milwaukee, WI. :D

I'm in Kenosha, and very curious where you're getting all this BT action. I then, of course, wonder if I already know you.

• FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    I'm in the Chicago suburbs, and if you happen to live closer to that end, I'd love to actually find someone that would walk me through tabletop BT.

• HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Its official. Time to move to Chicago.

kx3klFE.png
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Victory!

Turn 4 of my local Solaris 7 campaign has come to an end and I finally got my first win! Also had a surprise reappearance by Chris C who had to delay his move.

Ian: Marauder MAD-9S, Jagermech JM7-D
    Chris F: Grasshopper GHR-6K, ARC-4M Archer
    versus
    Dallas: Marauder C, Warhammer C
    Chris C: Toyama TYM-1B, Toyama TYM-1C

First two turns were spent getting stuck in. One or two mechs (including my JM7) couldn't get firing lines on the first turn, resulting in some C-Bill penalties. Chris C's attempts to use his two Toyamas' C3i Networks were thwarted by my Marauder's Guardian ECM Suite, ensuring the battle would be fought in close quarters. While my Marauder-9S got caught in the middle for a bit it took the fire like a champ and kept on rockin'.

The battle split, as tends to happen, into two fronts. While my MAD and JM took on the TYMs, Chris F got his Grasshopper into a hand-to-giant-robot-hand brawl with Dallas's Warhammer. The GHR earned a cool 600k for Chris F for a kick-while-down stunt and the Warhammer lost its second Gyro hit, never to get up again (or at least until they pop a new one in there)... though somewhere along the line it also fell down and tore its own arm off. The rightfully-upset Marauder C abandoned its firefight with the Archer to try and kick the still-prone Grasshopper. He fails in spectacular fashion and, having poorly gambled on heat, shuts down. Dallas pops the white flag for his second mech on Turn 5.

Meanwhile, my own Marauder and the TYM-1B get into bashing range as well. We both whiff our kicks but remain standing. Somehow I end up on its flank, letting me kick it with reduced risk of retaliation. On Turn 5 the Toyama-1B falls down for reasons I forgot to write down and I earn another 600 thousand C-bucks for kicking him in that state. By this time the Marauder-9S has been lured into close range of the TYM-1C... which forgot to not point its back at my Jagermech. Two UAC-5s and three lasers later, it's on the ground due to plinking it in the head and knocking out the pilot. After my -9S sends another volley of fire into the -1B, Chris C surrenders both his Mechs.

All in all, I'm surprised how clean this victory was. Bonus material: my Marauder's sheet! How it managed to take all that fire and come away with little more than a busted ankle, I can only attribute to Chris F generally coaching me through the games because I am actually horrible at them.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    Effin A, Ian. Your MAD got off light for repairs. Three dots of internal damage? That armor was doing some work, or your opponents were just not good at putting shots in one location. Either way, nice!

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    edited August 2014
    Messed with the spreadsheet more. Fixed 'salvage' so it properly rolls on the other houses tables (and coloring out the ones that are salvage so its east to see them at a glance). Speaking of the other houses... I added in the other main houses as well as vehicle tables.
    If i was a better coder or excel whiz, i could put everything in selectable dropdown boxes to get faction and all that fun stuff on 1 sheet. Instead, every house will have a seperate tab because its a shitload easier on me.
    I need to figure out what percdnt of regiments were actually mechs in the 3028 era. I swear i saw some numbers ages ago, but i dont recall them. I want to be able to generate a regiment with appropriate support and combat vehicles.

I also need to input Alpha Strike point values for all the mechs, because lets face it. Games this size would take a year to play with Total Warfare rules.

Far off will be Battleforce values for all the lances that are generated. It makes me moist thinking of that.

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
    Hydro, you're a beautiful, crazy madman.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I think it would be fun to reenact a tabletop game in MWO and film it cinematically

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Need some help. Does anyone know of a list with mechs Alpha Strike point values? I really dont want to look up every single mech on the mechinfo site. Blech.

kx3klFE.png
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    You might be able to get away with searching for standard BV since Alpha Strike's points (or Battleforce's points, rather) are just BV with the last two digits chopped off.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    Ianator wrote: »
    You might be able to get away with searching for standard BV since Alpha Strike's points (or Battleforce's points, rather) are just BV with the last two digits chopped off.

That would make Battleforce real easy to snag. AS, not so much. All the cards on the master unit list give a point value, but assume (and modify) the value as having a skill of 4. So ill have to do some maths with those numbers. If i cant find a list, ill just have to crawl the site for every unit. Not too horrible for 3028, but ittl be slow. I mess with the sheet in my downtime at work. But the site is blocked and my cell connection in my building is spotty at best.

kx3klFE.png
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    If @Nips and @HydroSqueegee were cool dudes they'd be at PAX with a few of us other Oosiks and we could all get drunk and play Alpha Strike.

In related news, I plan on trying Alpha Strike out here at the CGL booth some point this weekend. Nips's writeup seemed pretty cool.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    If @Nips and @HydroSqueegee were cool dudes they'd be at PAX with a few of us other Oosiks and we could all get drunk and play Alpha Strike.

In related news, I plan on trying Alpha Strike out here at the CGL booth some point this weekend. Nips's writeup seemed pretty cool.

Kids this, responsibilities that. Being in Ohio doesnt help either. ;)

kx3klFE.png
    TOGSolid wrote: »

If only I could live in a world where I could do two game con trips in three weeks.

Next year is under serious consideration.

• lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Two questions:

What do you Battle Tech guys think of the mechs from Reapers new CAV kickstarter? They seem like they'd fit in pretty well to me.

Also, if I'd want to get back into BT (I cannot confirm or deny reports of my having a poster of a Locust on my wall as a teenager) and I'd certainly want to have rules for designing mechs, what exactly would I need? Seems like Total Warfare and the Tech Manual. The starter box might be tempting but I've never been a fan of BT's humanoid designs and it seem like a lot of the minis are those.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
    edited September 2014
    Responses, opinions, and no particular order!
    What do you Battle Tech guys think of the mechs from Reapers new CAV kickstarter?

I've always liked Reaper's C.A.V. figures in theory, but the last time I took a swing through their catalog it felt like the overall product line was homogeneous and dull. The figures look great, but there's only like a handful of 'archetypal' forms they take, and then a whole lot of variants that are largely similar looking. I love the models, and some individual pieces are fantastic, but the product line as a whole is kind of boring.

I'm a little bit apprehensive of the C.A.V. Kickstarter line as well, because they're shifting it over to their Bones PVC plastic. One of the big draws of the original C.A.V. line was that the mechs were CAD-drawn with crisp lines and sharp features, and the metal figs carry that through very well. Producing these same figures in a softer plastic will mean bent weapon barrels, a loss of that signature sharpness, and other 'melty' effects. I hope they pull it off, but as an owner of the original Bones kickstarter box, the thought of using the same materials for the C.A.V. figs just doesn't excite me.

They seem like they'd fit in pretty well to me.

I've always found the C.A.V. models to be overly-large compared to BattleTech miniatures. Granted, there isn't really a consistent scale for the three decades of BattleTech figs out there, and I've largely gotten over the fact, but still. Mildly annoying. Other than that niggle, yeah, they'll fit in right at home alongside Krakens and Behemoths and the like.

Also, if I'd want to get back into BT (I cannot confirm or deny reports of my having a poster of a Locust on my wall as a teenager) and I'd certainly want to have rules for designing mechs, what exactly would I need? Seems like Total Warfare and the Tech Manual.

Yeah, you'll need Total Warfare to play the game of Battletech you're familiar with. You'll need the Tech Manual if you intend to be scratch-building mech designs. Also, you'll want to pick up one of the many mech-construction programs that exist; Solaris Skunk Werks is freely available, largely works and can get the job done. There's also HeavyMetal Pro that is the most official software tool available, but it's not free. You don't need the programs, but they turn making new mechs from a chore into actual fun.

The starter box might be tempting but I've never been a fan of BT's humanoid designs and it seem like a lot of the minis are those.

I'm going to just keep saying this, until everyone hears it: the newest iteration of the intro box is a fantastic product, made to a quality several steps above anything ever produced for the BattleTech game. There is literally no part of the product, from the box, to the maps/books/sheets, to the miniatures, that isn't of top-notch manufacturing. If you don't like humanoid Mech designs, yes, most of the figs in the box are designs in that style. But I do feel you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you're starting a new BattleTech hobby from scratch and didn't at least put some long, hard thought into buying that box set.

Nips on
    The intro box is sooooooo good. Very high quality.

kx3klFE.png
    If I had any spare money and anyone around here that had an interest in playing I would pick it up right quick.

I have neither, unfortunately, but still.

• BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I had the money, and some slight interest from other people. That was enough. Maybe when my daughter is older she'll take an interest in playing some stompy robots together.

Bolthorn on
    Farangu wrote: »
    If I had any spare money and anyone around here that had an interest in playing I would pick it up right quick.

*cough*megamek*cough*

kx3klFE.png
    I was actually thinking we could run a MegaMek campaign with the Solaris 7 rules used at my local store. Since you're not limited by what models you've purchased it'd be a lot easier to play at the 3025 tech level that the ruleset is supposed to work with.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    Dragons for days

3basnids3lf9.jpg

OK, OK already. So I think my FLGS has a BattleTech boxed set. Any distinguishing marks that I can look for to make sure it's the latest/greatest?

steam_sig.png
    Can you make your own mechs in MegaMek? It'd be fun it we ran MWO builds against each other to see how they would do

3basnids3lf9.jpg

*cough*megamek*cough*

Yea but that's not physical mechs with actual dice, now is it?

Although now that Sims 4 is out, my wife is going to get a lot more of the computer, which means I'll need some way to pass the time on the laptop...

*cough*megamek*cough*

Yea but that's not physical mechs with actual dice, now is it?

Although now that Sims 4 is out, my wife is going to get a lot more of the computer, which means I'll need some way to pass the time on the laptop...

Megamek is still faster than table top, but it can still take ages to play.

When are teleporters going to be available already?

kx3klFE.png

OK, OK already. So I think my FLGS has a BattleTech boxed set. Any distinguishing marks that I can look for to make sure it's the latest/greatest?

Its square, redish and heavy. Also has an atlas on the front. Says Battletech on it.

kx3klFE.png
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Can you make your own mechs in MegaMek? It'd be fun it we ran MWO builds against each other to see how they would do

Pretty sure you can build mechs in Solaris Skunk Werks and export them to MegaMek format.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Also has an atlas on the front. Says Battletech on it.
    Aren't there a LOT of Battletech products that have an Atlas on the front? I mean, really, that grinning 100-tonner is practically the spokesperson (spokesMech?) of the entire Battletech universe. :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    You want this SKU: CYT3500B

The B on the end indicates that it's the 2014 improved reprint box. It should have the Mad Cat and Battlemaster premium models. CoolStuffInc looks to have them back in stock.

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/191207

OK. Thanks guys. I'll drop by there this weekend and see what they have.

steam_sig.png
    I want a PGI Dragon model. I saw a guy who printed one on deviantart bit I don't know how to get one for myself

3basnids3lf9.jpg

So is anyone interested in a match showing me how this Megamek thing-a-ma-bob works?

@Farangu I'll mess around with it tonight and we can play a quick round or ten tomorrow.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    Any chance of tomorrow night working, @Ianator? I might not be free tonight, won't know until later this afternoon if I will be or not.

@Farangu That's fine. I'll be fresh off an IRL game as well.

Speaking of which, I just finished painting a new 'Mech last night. Pics when I get home!

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    @Ianator what time tonight works well for you? And are we going to hop on Vent, or just straight text or?

It's noon now. I should be back around 7-ish.

Also it has a quick tutorial on how to do some stuff. It's mostly obvious how to set up a bot but a bit more obtuse to create a hot seat game (you have to open a second game and connect it to Localhost).

Vent is fine. Would we use one of the Game On channels?

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    Probably? Just find an empty channel or something.