As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Guns and the Shooting There of OR All the Texas Stereotypes

DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat!I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
edited August 2014 in PAX South
Being from Alberta I have shot a few guns in my time, but being from Canada I've never been legally allowed to shoot the really fun stuff. Since we'll be in Texas, I figure what better state is there to indulge in such an activity. So I gotta ask, who would be willing to hit up a range before or during PAX? Also any locals know the good ranges?

camo_sig2.png
I never finish anyth
Decius on

• deathmog91deathmog91 Registered User regular
    that sound like fun

• jj4thjj4th Registered User regular
    While I don't personally shoot, I have friends who do. The Bullet Hole. It's a bit far from downtown, on the west side city limits, but by all accounts the best place around. You aren't really going to find a gun club close to downtown unless you want to do skeet shooting.

• WickershamWickersham Registered User regular
    I think an afternoon at the shooting range would be a great idea. I love guns and have used them all my life, but my wife has an aversion to firearms in the home, so we just have the one shotgun for home defense and that's it. I don't get to shoot much except at the range.

My personal favorite is Nardis Gun Club, but it's more expenisve than con goers will probably want to pay. The Bullet Hole would probably be my second choice. More affordable, more friendly to first-timers. They even have zombie targets for you to practice on!

• BW2KBW2K Registered User new member
    Decius wrote: »
    Being from Alberta I have shot a few guns in my time, but being from Canada I've never been legally allowed to shoot the really fun stuff. Since we'll be in Texas, I figure what better state is there to indulge in such an activity. So I gotta ask, who would be willing to hit up a range before or during PAX? Also any locals know the good ranges?

So I just signed up to answer this question, I'm not sure exactly what that says about me...

The Bullet Hole is a nice range, but they require a membership ID card in order to shoot there. So along with the range fees, it is another $5 for the ID card. So for a total of $15 bucks you can pretty much shoot all day, no limits on how long you shoot or what kind of firearms you can shoot. This also means that if the place is packed you're probably going to wait a while.

Lonestar Handgun opened up a range earlier this year, and it's pretty nice. It is located in Converse, which is a bit outside of town, but for $11 you get access to the handgun and rifle stalls. The targets are all steel, which are a bit more fun to shoot at. I think they have about 50 stall, it's been a while since I've gone there.

There are some other ranges in the city, Nardis in indoors and a bit more pricey. I've never been there, so I cannot attest to the quality of the place. Bracken is also outside of the city, but I do not recommend that place at all. The owners can be grumpy, and the place is always packed.

Lonestar and Bullet Hole both offer rentals, and for an extra charge you can rent a private bay at the Bullet Hole.

Hope this helps!

• DifinitusDifinitus Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    You must eat a steak (without A1 plz) and have breakfast at Whataburer.

My First PAX: Prime 2014
    Tickets [X] | Flight [X] | Coin [ ]
  • sonneillon_voidsonneillon_void Registered User new member
    edited August 2014
    BW2K wrote: »
    The Bullet Hole is a nice range, but they require a membership ID card in order to shoot there. So along with the range fees, it is another $5 for the ID card. So for a total of $15 bucks you can pretty much shoot all day, no limits on how long you shoot or what kind of firearms you can shoot. This also means that if the place is packed you're probably going to wait a while.

Lonestar and Bullet Hole both offer rentals, and for an extra charge you can rent a private bay at the Bullet Hole.

I second the Bullet Hole. It has been about a year since I last went (I moved to Austin) but I know they have a 50cal rifle, some uzis, mp5s, and a large collection of sig sauer and glock hand guns for rent. While I lived in San Antonio Bullet Hole was my go to place range as I never really cared for the other ranges due to multiple issues. The one thing to note is if you are looking to take a taxi to the bullet hole expect an expensive trip. The bullet hole is on the edge of town out past 1604 (the outer loop that goes around San Antonio).

sonneillon_void on
  • Tesla RangerTesla Ranger BCRegistered User regular
    I grew up around San Antonio and my father always took us to Dietz Gun Shop in New Braunfels. I can't compare it to any of the other venues but it was always an excellent range whenever we went there. It's a fair distance from downtown but they have facilities for pistols and rifles and all the relevant safety equipment on hand. I've got a lot of good memories from that place.

• hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    On a related note, does anyone know if the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center has 30.06 signs up?

row1.pngrow2.png
  • WickershamWickersham Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    On a related note, does anyone know if the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center has 30.06 signs up?

The Henry B is city property, and under state law a city-owned facility cannot post a 30.06 unless it meets one of the exclusionary criteria, which it doesn't. So you can carry there, no problem. However, you CANNOT carry in any business that makes 51% or more of its revenue from the sale of alcohol for on-premises consumption. So if you're going to a bar or a club, stop at the hotel first and put the weapon in a safe.

Wickersham on
  • Tesla RangerTesla Ranger BCRegistered User regular

The Convention Center would be one thing but depending on what you have in mind you may also want to keep the PAX rules on weapons in mind.

• hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular

The Convention Center would be one thing but depending on what you have in mind you may also want to keep the PAX rules on weapons in mind.

I am aware of PAX's policies on the subject.

row1.pngrow2.png
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Wickersham wrote: »

The Henry B is city property, and under state law a city-owned facility cannot post a 30.06 unless it meets one of the exclusionary criteria, which it doesn't. So you can carry there, no problem. However, you CANNOT carry in any business that makes 51% or more of its revenue from the sale of alcohol for on-premises consumption. So if you're going to a bar or a club, stop at the hotel first and put the weapon in a safe.

Why would anyone bring a gun to PAX??!?!

That's insane right?

Edit:

According to the FAQ of this other convention held in the same convention centre, they disallowed guns.
    Are weapons allowed?: Any and all LIVE weapons are NOT allowed — this includes individuals who possess a weapons permit (concealed or otherwise). Leave your pistols, knives, rocket launchers, etc., at home.

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    Hey all - regardless of how people feel about open carry laws / concealed weapon permits etc., the convention center does not allow guns on the premises. I was just down there last week and this was a specific point of discussion for them. Thanks.

Some guy.
  • m0nk33m0nk33 Keeper of the Tubes Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Awww snap, Robert in da house.

I'm all pro-2A open carry yadda yadda, but that means you need to respect property owners and the people they allow on their premises - in this case, Penny Arcade. So, no on PAX rules and no by request of the convention center.

So, you know, don't.

graphic.png
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Holy shit guys, this isn't a thread for an open carry (or concealed carry) debate. I just want to shoot some guns...some automatic guns.

Yes I'm going to be that kind of tourist...

But I've shot pistols, rifles, and carbines. Just can't legally shoot automatics where I'm from.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    Holy shit guys, this isn't a thread for an open carry (or concealed carry) debate. I just want to shoot some guns...some automatic guns.

Yes I'm going to be that kind of tourist...

But I've shot pistols, rifles, and carbines. Just can't legally shoot automatics where I'm from.

How to tell Decius is from Alberta....

:stuck_out_tongue:

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • TheZKTheZK Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    SmallLady wrote: »

I feel compelled to point out that PAX South is in Texas. One shouldn't expect Texas culture to be the same as elsewhere. I think everything else that needs to be said about 30.06 and the Convention has already been said.

Back to the OP's topic:
    With regards to renting guns at a nearby range, be aware that if you're a foreign national, you will occasionally encounter ranges that think they are forbidden from renting to you. Others are quite used to tourists. Calling ahead might be recommended if you're looking at a long drive.

TheZK on
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    I'm still snickering over it being called section 30.06

What's next, sub-section 7.62? Paragraph 51?

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth